Ochsner Health System

Updated December 11, 2014
Updated December 11, 2014
2.8

Warner Thomas

Pros
  • fast processing, decent wage, good benefits (in 4 reviews)

• The work was quite easy and the atmosphere was laid back (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance was a challenge (in 4 reviews)

• Will never see any upper management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

I have been working for Ochsner for a short time, but am already blown away by how great of an organization it is.

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Ochsner Health System full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They have a seamless and efficient on boarding process and everyone in every department is incredibly welcoming to new hires. They truly care about their employees and do a great job to keep employees’ wellbeing in mind when making executive decisions. Ochsner management also has a keen eye for recognizing talent and making sure your skills best align with the position you are in and the projects you are working on.

Cons

There are definitely changes in the organization (something past/present employees seem to comment on often), but from my experience, all changes are implemented strategically to better align their business practices with changing markets, employee feedback, and ways to keep Ochsner operating as efficiently as possible. I would be concerned if I were working for a stagnant company which has operated the same way for years and years and appreciate that Ochsner is constantly trying to improve.

Herding cattle vs caring for patients.

I worked at Ochsner Health System

Pros

The patients, the ancillary staff and the nurses; they work really hard but have to meet unrealistic goals. I saw very few smiles during my visit.

Cons

The company reminds me of a huge automaton, devouring everything in it's path. It has lost it's personal touch.

Spend just one day back on the front lines, and see how your policy decisions really affect your "consumers". I thought this was a not-for-profit company.

Nightmare, Worst IT experience i've had.

I have been working at Ochsner Health System full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Decent but not great pay

Cons

- Facilities
    - Bad Management
    - No work/life balance
    -No accountability or ITSM structure

EPIC Trainer

Former Employee - Epic Credentialed Trainer in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Epic Credentialed Trainer in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Ochsner Health System as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The team was awesome in terms of helping to reach the overall goal. The pay was competitive. I enjoyed working with the management staff, doctors, nurses and other staff on the EMR conversion

Cons

The work/life balance was a challenge.

Terrible Culture and low pay

Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Ochsner Health System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

May find a great Team but you will undoubtedly have to change your process everyday

Cons

Leadership out of touch
    There is an exception for everything
    Lowest pay in the city

Listen to your staff
    Stop changing everything
    You are growing too fast

Great Health Care provider, lousy employer

Current Employee - Professional, Non-clinical in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Professional, Non-clinical in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Ochsner Health System full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Numerous work locations, stability of company, name recognition, busy. Non management people are great for the most part. Will be around for a while.

Cons

Favoritism in many non clinical areas is running rampant, esp in Financial, Human Resources, Marketing. If you make mistake, and get even a verbal warning, it NEVER goes away, and they remind you of it constantly. If you are not in the inner clique with you "leader", you might as well forget any advancement. The lower opens are a revolving door, they churn & burn through lower placed staff.

Stop all the buzz words. Just because you put a fancy title on positions ( leader, one up, etc), or on events (such as 'skip level' meetings), or call certain positions trendy titles ( business parter - whoopdee do) - it should still be about being good to ALL employees - and learning to be lenient, nurturing, forgiving.

So far, so good

Current Employee - Revenue Cycle Representative III in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Revenue Cycle Representative III in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Ochsner Health System full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people I work with are genuinely good people. As an organization, it has an amazing reputation throughout the state, and they have a pretty decent benefits package.

Cons

Management can be two faced and cutthroat. They preach about hiring from within, but heavily rely on external candidates.

I was a PRN Registered Nurse on the Behavioral Health Unit

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Luling, LA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Luling, LA

I have been working at Ochsner Health System part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay was good, the shifts were 8 hours and flexible schedule.

Cons

Lack of communication between management and staff. High amout of staff call ins daily.

misleading

Current Employee - Staff RN in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Staff RN in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Ochsner Health System full-time (less than an year)

Pros

fast processing, decent wage, good benefits

Cons

Hired for night shift, nights only after two weeks tried to force day shift

honesty to new hires

Low compensation has taken a toll on employees as far as loyalty, dedication, morale, performance and productivity.

Former Employee - Non-Clinical/Administrative in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Non-Clinical/Administrative in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Ochsner Health System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice, fun co-workers, like we were in it together. Good amount of training when hired. If you are especially social and make an effort to connect with the "right people," you could possibly be promoted. Team pulls together during hurricanes and emergency events. Good orientation and onboarding training, although not consistent in all departments. Very rewarding to have an impact on patients and their families. Great medical staff with good outcomes. Innovative medical procedures.

Cons

My compensation was in the 50 percentile, making half of the metro N.O. standard wage for that position with my education and skill set. Many of middle management weren't true leaders, or they were too intimidated by upper management to speak their minds and take charge. They followed orders and parroted talking points rather than being innovative, pro-active and solving issues. Many didn't stand up for their exemplary employees when it was needed. "Yes men" or employees who had an inside track appeared to be the ones considered for leadership positions. Working hard and doing a good job was not enough to merit advancement. Mind you, I didn't strive for advancement, so my opinion is based on observation and speaking with other employees. It's a big topic of conversation there.
    Salary was not a living wage. It would greatly benefit Ochsner to invest in their employees. Many hourly employees lacked motivation and had decreased productivity due to low wages and perceived lack of opportunity for advancement. Must be self motivated to consistently perform at peak level. Very small awards were given to employees recognized for best performance of the quarter, etc. A company the size of Ochsner should award more, perhaps paid days off so as not to incur actual costs.
    The e-mails sent from CEO seemed like it was just talk, not that he actually believed it. It's easy to put out some talking points, but unless they're honest and acted upon, it's just repetitive words. CEO and all upper management should take time to visit the front lines, much valuable insight and feedback could be gained while interacting with the hourly employees. Skip the Power of One presentations and use that time to interact with front line employees. Empower employees at all levels. I think you'll be surprised how they will meet and exceed your expectations.
    Ochsner is a good place to gain experience and training that can be leveraged to seek better employment. I believe my employment at Ochsner gave me an edge when seeking new employment. Potential employers seemed to value and possibly respect my association with Ochsner. Good for resume.
    Bottom Line: If you can live on what they pay you, it's a good place to get your feet wet. Be assertive in asking for what you want from your supervisors. Hopefully top management will wise up, understand the actual value of their employees and become a true leader in healthcare.

Get back to basics. Properly compensate employees for their work. It will be the best investment you ever make. Give raises based on true merit, and it must keep up with cost of living. Otherwise, when economy gets better, you will lose employees to companies that pay fairly. Stop trying to grow so fast. Hire essential employees more quickly, especially the department that should clean the facilities. Human Resources is useless, simply a mouthpiece for upper management. Have some H.R. mgrs. on campus, allow them to make decisions based on individual circumstances and not simply quote the employee handbok. That department is completely inaccessible in any meaningful way. Not their fault; poorly structured. Sodexho provides undesirable food. Surely you could hire your own chef. New Orleanians are not accustomed to paying for unappetizing food. Add more patient parking. Build up if you have to. Buy into your own motivational efforts, or don't promote them at all. Too transparent otherwise. Good luck! Call it "The Power of One CEO."
    P.S. If you want to enforce rules, do so across the board. Supervisors should not exempt their favored employees from the consequences enforced upon others.

Ochsner Health System Photos