Ochsner Health System Reviews

Updated March 31, 2015
94 reviews filtered by
2.8
Warner Thomas

Pros
  • fast processing, decent wage, good benefits (in 4 reviews)

• The work was quite easy and the atmosphere was laid back (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance was a challenge (in 4 reviews)

• Will never see any upper management (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Working for a growing organization in an ever changing industry!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Ochsner Health System full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working here was great! Management is very kind and always available to the employees. There is always new opportunities available and nothing is out of reach! Great people to work with and for what I have experience everyone seems to pulls their own.

Cons

Working here you need to remember that you will be working for a growing organization that is in the ever changing healthcare industry. This organization is one of the largest of its kind in the area and is seeing many growing pains due to all the changes we are experience in healthcare. The benefits are good but expensive and not the best I have seen!

I know that turnover in your departments can be troublesome but try not holding someone back from their true potential and please don't hold a grudge against them for trying to better themselves. A little praise and encouragement goes a really long way.

2. Great place for long term employment

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Ochsner Health System

Pros

OMCBR is a family oriented hospital to work for. We are big enough to care for a large patient load but not so big that you forget the names of people you work with.

Cons

nursing shortage but this is nation wide

Managers are a great bunch of people. They sincerely care about the patients and the employees on their units

3. Good opportunities to experience critical cases

Current Employee - Preoperative RN
    Current Employee - Preoperative RN

I have been working at Ochsner Health System full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Big company, opportunities. Training avail. Some management wants to make a difference learning opportunity

Cons

Hired for day shift now told after orientation I may be Eve or nights. Pay was suppose to increase at end of orientation but now told it will not for at least a year. Less pay than surrounding hospitals

Be consistent, truthful and open during interviews. It's not only a waste of Ochsners time and money but the employees if you change the shift or position they were hired for.

A Learning experience.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Ochsner Health System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment and excellent co-workers.

Cons

Depending on department and manager growth can be limited. If the department manager does not want you to transfer they will block it.

Listen to your employees and stop being so focused on budgetary concerns. It the employees that help Ochsner to be what it became. Unhappy employees are not product when they feel that they have been left on a ride and and there is no one at the wheel driving.

Stepping stone, unless things change

I have been working at Ochsner Health System full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of options, many locations to work at

Cons

They don't really care about their employees ( especially nurses) , growing to fast and not taking care of current problems. I've seen both the floor as a nurse as well as the more corporate area; turnover is high. Managers don't try to address and fix the problems, new people get hired and the cycle continues. Floor nurses treated terribly with no help. Not enough nurses aids or equipment. Everyone is stressed. Acute patients put on floors where they shouldn't be. Value is not placed on education for nurses, this is terrible considering THEY ARE MAGNET!!!! So of course they use that to attract people but do little in helping their employees. Time off is terrible. You basically choose if you are going to stay home and be sick or if you want to suffer and be able to take a vacation. many people stay in positions because of connections and not skill. Corporate deals with similar problems. management is not interested doesn't care about the huge demands placed on employees , depts are understaffed. They expect more work with less employees!

your nurses are unhappy, as well as staff. Figure out what the problems are instead of saying if someone doesn't want to work for ochsner they can leave. Your young,educated and talented are leaving because they are too smart to deal with it all and know that they can find a better position elsewhere. It's is not success when you have nurses constantly switching floors because they are all dysfunctional.

7. Not what I expected

Former Employee - Donor Recruiter in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Donor Recruiter in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Ochsner Health System full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Being able to help people

Cons

Health benefits were expensive, lack of promotions, no support for professionals that work in the field. Driving my car was apart of my job, but there was no company insurance coverage or cell phone provided while in the field. Pay is low even in professional positions.

If you want to retain great employees at least let them interview for jobs they qualify for within your company. Take more time in developing talented people instead of keep old workers until the retire before you let someone new into a position

8. Awesome health system to work for.

I worked at Ochsner Health System

Pros

Awesome staff and potential to grow in your career

Cons

awesome awesome awesome great compensation

9. Great workplace.

Pros

Benefits
    Work life balance
    Salary
    Opportunity to grow
    Team work
    Ethics

Cons

Job shadowing very difficult
    Managers expect a lot

10. N/A

Current Employee - Lab Technician in Jefferson, LA
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in Jefferson, LA

I have been working at Ochsner Health System

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

This company don't pay well at all

The employees need bigger salary

Good and bad experiences here.

Current Employee - Staff RN
    Current Employee - Staff RN

I have been working at Ochsner Health System

Pros

Ochsner has the best teamwork among nurses I've ever seen. Patient care is top priority, and I would rate it very high. Also, Ochsner has great technology and can treat almost any problem. It's a teaching hospital, so most of the doctors are residents. The doctors and nurses are very good and knowledgeable about what they're doing, and most try their hardest to be compassionate to patients and family. I found the benefits to be VERY good. There's a gym for employees that's free to use. Also, if you're coming to work from Mississippi or someplace far, you can stay at the Brent House (hotel), which is really nice. The restaurants are good and healthy too, although pricey. Another good thing is the scheduling: you put in your request about a month beforehand and management usually honors your desired workdays. Plus, if you want/need some extra hours, you're basically free to work as many hours as you wish (at your own risk or being burned out).

Cons

Safety precautions for nurses are not top priority, ex: if you are emptying a catheter of a person with VRE and the front desk calls your phone, you had better drop everything midstream and answer it or they will come and fuss at you. The floors are way too busy and over-stimulating, and you get such an acute patient load that it is common to misplace things, lose things, forget things, etc, thus risking your license. As an aside, management says it has protections in place for its staff but it does not. They don't care if you come to work with the flu, as long as you're a warm body to fill a staff RN's hours. Patient visitors and screaming children get the run of the floor, and are free to distract, heckle and scream at the healthcare providers as they wish. Many (not all) patients treat being on the floor as a free-for-all narcotics buffet, so in essence you are obligated to get people legally lit, knowing they could possibly be going home with a new addiction. It doesn't matter if you're the best nurse in the country, there are patients who WILL complain about you, and your patient satisfaction cards will not mean a thing: management almost always vies on the side of the patient. Again, risking your license. They will not hire more than 2 PCTs per ~50 beds, on a floor where everybody is bowel incontinent. And trust that on a Sunday when the Saints play, these PCTs will call in sick, along with 3 or 4 other nurses, so their load is on YOU, and nobody bats a lash at this (except for the nurses). It's not uncommon to see new nurses crying before the shift starts, just out of contemplation for what may go wrong that day.

Ochsner used to be one of the best places to work. I wish management would heed the complaints and suggestions of the other staff when at meetings. Maybe not just heed, but press your superiors harder. It's got to be hard to be management here, as many in this position don't last long because of the stress of it. But trust me when I tell you, the nurses take this home with them every day/night, and it all builds up.

Ochsner Health System Photos