Ochsner Health System Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
Warner Thomas

Pros
  • fast processing, decent wage, good benefits (in 4 reviews)

• I enjoyed working with the management staff, doctors, nurses and other staff on the EMR conversion (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance was a challenge (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management lacks minority (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Working for a growing organization in an ever changing industry!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Ochsner Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working here was great! Management is very kind and always available to the employees. There is always new opportunities available and nothing is out of reach! Great people to work with and for what I have experience everyone seems to pulls their own.

Cons

Working here you need to remember that you will be working for a growing organization that is in the ever changing healthcare industry. This organization is one of the largest of its kind in the area and is seeing many growing pains due to all the changes we are experience in healthcare. The benefits are good but expensive and not the best I have seen!

Advice to Management

I know that turnover in your departments can be troublesome but try not holding someone back from their true potential and please don't hold a grudge against them for trying to better themselves. A little praise and encouragement goes a really long way.

2. Executive Assistant

I worked at Ochsner Health System full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Wonderful co-workers/colleagues. Great benefits. Stable employment One of the stronger places of employment in the not so stable landscape in the NOLA area. They genuinely care about employees! They truly try as well!

Cons

Low salaries. Upper management is in their own world. It's like they are in a completely different company. Such a different area than anywhere else in the hospital system. Needs to be that way everywhere else. They sometimes spend too much money on consultants ... to tell them what we have all done wrong, only to bring in a new system, change everything.... then to bring in a new consultant three years later to tell us what we have all done wrong, etc. etc. The work atmosphere could be a little more fun, they take themselves way too seriously. We understand you ARE brain surgeons, etc., but....... I must add that it is a challenge that they deal with well as the grumpy older doctors refuse to get with the program.

Advice to Management

Too top heavy. Raise salaries.

3. Ochsner

Pros

Great co-workers, big company, good health insurance

Cons

Inexperienced and disorganized management, extremely low pay, lack of professional growth

Advice to Management

raise salaries to retain talent

5. High drive organization with chew you up

Pros

The CEO is awesome! Love him

Cons

Too much work with to little resources

My review

Pros

good people - huge company. Chances to grow within the business.

Cons

Health care industry always changing. Pay is below average.

Advice to Management

Should pay at higher rates to reduce turnover and keep costs down.

Surgery RN

Current Employee - Or RN in Kenner, LA
    Current Employee - Or RN in Kenner, LA

I have been working at Ochsner Health System full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked at Ochsner Kenner less than one year in the OR. The manager is nice and fair. Not very much good to say. Most of the other nurses were decent and supportive.

Cons

The surgeons are verbally abusive to say the least! I had never been cursed at while working as a Registered Nurse in my entire life until I worked there. And not just once, multiple times. Even the residents go on power trips (excuse me, but you're a resident!!!). I'm making a quarter of my salary more at my new job with better hours. The pay rate is out of date at Ochsner and my friend recently quit. She's making more money, too. They pay less because they own almost every hospital in the New Orleans area. That's why they have to offer bonuses for people to stay. Needless to say, they could keep my $2000. I didn't want to spend another minute there. And for owning most of the city, they could really offer better benefits. They also expect you to make your job your #1 priority in life and act like the position you've been given is the be all end all. Newsflash: not for someone with experience...

Advice to Management

You may not have to offer bonuses for every position if people were paid better.

Mike

Current Employee - Patient Care Technician in Kenner, LA
    Current Employee - Patient Care Technician in Kenner, LA

I have been working at Ochsner Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I think they are a lot of opportunities for employment across all Ochsner campuses lots of opportunity to pick up overtime

Cons

benefits management is only interested in what benefits them. lowest paying hospital in the area.

Advice to Management

I think that they should find a way to raise incentives for employees to stay and not go somewhere. With the new Hospital opening up, they should really step up their game.

Ochsner Nada for me

Pros

Large organization with good access

Cons

Large org, low ball salaries, tons of emails, elect you to work loads of hours overtime in the professional setting, not sure about clinical.

Not bad but not great either

Former Employee - Revenue Cycle Representative III
    Former Employee - Revenue Cycle Representative III

I worked at Ochsner Health System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fulltime hours and occasional overtime benefits great coworkers proper training classes

Cons

no good leadership short staffed unreasonable denials for requested time off no opportunity for advancement

Advice to Management

Sit down with your employees and try to meet their needs. We are the ones who make all the difference in how pts view the facility, take our importance into consideration. Include incentives when monthly quotas are met. Praise employees for what they do right not just reprimand them for the things they did wrong.

Great company that is growing fast.

Current Employee - Perfusion Tech in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Perfusion Tech in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Ochsner Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good teaching hospital. Good insurance options. Offers incentives for working extra and sharing good ideas.

Cons

Low income for long hours. Job duties continue to grow but not offered money for your new expectations.

Advice to Management

Help out those employees who ask for it. Salaries are way too low in some cases.

RSS Feed </> Embed