Ochsner Health System

Ochsner Health System Reviews

Updated September 1, 2014
Updated September 1, 2014

Warner Thomas

Pros
  • Good benefits and growth opportunities (in 3 reviews)

• The work was quite easy and the atmosphere was laid back (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • The below the cost of living increases in pay are the worst (in 3 reviews)

• work-life balance is only really acceptable for low-level employees (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

So far, so good

Current Employee - Revenue Cycle Representative III  in  New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Revenue Cycle Representative III in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Ochsner Health System full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people I work with are genuinely good people. As an organization, it has an amazing reputation throughout the state, and they have a pretty decent benefits package.

Cons

Management can be two faced and cutthroat. They preach about hiring from within, but heavily rely on external candidates.

Ochsner

Former Employee - Nurse Tech  in  New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Nurse Tech in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Ochsner Health System part-time for more than a year

Pros

Locations are good! Team works well together!

Cons

The pay is terrible,

misleading

Current Employee - Staff RN  in  New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Staff RN in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Ochsner Health System full-time for less than a year

Pros

fast processing, decent wage, good benefits

Cons

Hired for night shift, nights only after two weeks tried to force day shift

honesty to new hires

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Low compensation has taken a toll on employees as far as loyalty, dedication, morale, performance and productivity.

Former Employee - Non-Clinical/Administrative  in  New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Non-Clinical/Administrative in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Ochsner Health System full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice, fun co-workers, like we were in it together. Good amount of training when hired. If you are especially social and make an effort to connect with the "right people," you could possibly be promoted. Team pulls together during hurricanes and emergency events. Good orientation and onboarding training, although not consistent in all departments. Very rewarding to have an impact on patients and their families. Great medical staff with good outcomes. Innovative medical procedures.

Cons

My compensation was in the 50 percentile, making half of the metro N.O. standard wage for that position with my education and skill set. Many of middle management weren't true leaders, or they were too intimidated by upper management to speak their minds and take charge. They followed orders and parroted talking points rather than being innovative, pro-active and solving issues. Many didn't stand up for their exemplary employees when it was needed. "Yes men" or employees who had an inside track appeared to be the ones considered for leadership positions. Working hard and doing a good job was not enough to merit advancement. Mind you, I didn't strive for advancement, so my opinion is based on observation and speaking with other employees. It's a big topic of conversation there.
    Salary was not a living wage. It would greatly benefit Ochsner to invest in their employees. Many hourly employees lacked motivation and had decreased productivity due to low wages and perceived lack of opportunity for advancement. Must be self motivated to consistently perform at peak level. Very small awards were given to employees recognized for best performance of the quarter, etc. A company the size of Ochsner should award more, perhaps paid days off so as not to incur actual costs.
    The e-mails sent from CEO seemed like it was just talk, not that he actually believed it. It's easy to put out some talking points, but unless they're honest and acted upon, it's just repetitive words. CEO and all upper management should take time to visit the front lines, much valuable insight and feedback could be gained while interacting with the hourly employees. Skip the Power of One presentations and use that time to interact with front line employees. Empower employees at all levels. I think you'll be surprised how they will meet and exceed your expectations.
    Ochsner is a good place to gain experience and training that can be leveraged to seek better employment. I believe my employment at Ochsner gave me an edge when seeking new employment. Potential employers seemed to value and possibly respect my association with Ochsner. Good for resume.
    Bottom Line: If you can live on what they pay you, it's a good place to get your feet wet. Be assertive in asking for what you want from your supervisors. Hopefully top management will wise up, understand the actual value of their employees and become a true leader in healthcare.

Get back to basics. Properly compensate employees for their work. It will be the best investment you ever make. Give raises based on true merit, and it must keep up with cost of living. Otherwise, when economy gets better, you will lose employees to companies that pay fairly. Stop trying to grow so fast. Hire essential employees more quickly, especially the department that should clean the facilities. Human Resources is useless, simply a mouthpiece for upper management. Have some H.R. mgrs. on campus, allow them to make decisions based on individual circumstances and not simply quote the employee handbok. That department is completely inaccessible in any meaningful way. Not their fault; poorly structured. Sodexho provides undesirable food. Surely you could hire your own chef. New Orleanians are not accustomed to paying for unappetizing food. Add more patient parking. Build up if you have to. Buy into your own motivational efforts, or don't promote them at all. Too transparent otherwise. Good luck! Call it "The Power of One CEO."
    P.S. If you want to enforce rules, do so across the board. Supervisors should not exempt their favored employees from the consequences enforced upon others.

Good Experience

Former Employee - Staff RN  in  New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Staff RN in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Ochsner Health System full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good ICU experience. Very high accuity. Always keeps you on your toes. Will take care of patients that most hospitals dont touch. Pay is ok

Cons

Will never see any upper management. Lots of new grads. Very big unit in ICU main campus and takes awhile to learn way around.

Ochsner system is too big for its own good

Best place to work in Louisiana

Current Employee - Staff Scientist  in  New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Staff Scientist in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Ochsner Health System full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Ochsner Medical Center has Good working culture. Depending on the position one may have flexile time of working. Skill development. Great benefits.

Cons

Ochsner Medical Center has some veard rules. Non clinical employes should not be pressurized for taking clinical exams.

Ochsner has several opportunites if you are willing to train for them.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Ochsner Health System full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ochsner offers the opportunities to grow with education reimbursement policy. In some departments as you take on new tasks it helps to move you up to the next level when raise time comes around.

Cons

Some deparatments dont have offices you have to work in tight quarters and that is real hard at times. If you are a smoker you can not smoke on site.

Try to listen when employees are having problems and work with them to try and come up with a solution for the issues.

Cheap, S L O W to get anything done, top heavy administration that does not believe in "trickle down" economics.

Current Employee - Researcher  in  New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Researcher in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Ochsner Health System full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you are a physician or administrator, it is a great place.

Cons

If you work in any capacity other than physician or administrator, you will in all likelihood be paid at the low end of your professional scale.

Have you looked at the reasons behind your high employee turnover???

Working at Ochsner was rewarding and educational I got to work with some doctors from other country which was enjoyable

Current Employee - Medical Assistant  in  New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Medical Assistant in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Ochsner Health System full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very good benefits and educational opportunities enter act with doctors from other country,which was exciting and pleasant, different software tools.

Cons

Learning the difference of specialist medicine

Try to understand every employee disposition

It was a wonderful experience to work with the doctor and patients

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse  in  Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Ochsner Health System full-time for more than a year

Pros

It was a busy clinic with never a dull moment. The provider was great and sincere about what he done. It was a steady workflow. The patients were great.

Cons

The manager showed favoritism between employees. The pay was horrible. I started at 13.00 per hr and when I did receive a raise it was .04 therefore I begin making 13.04. I found a different job to better my household.

This is the place to work but the amount of pay for the work you do is not reasonable,

Worked for Ochsner Health System? Contribute to the Community!