Ochsner Health System

Updated March 1, 2015
Updated March 1, 2015
3.1

Warner Thomas

Pros
  • fast processing, decent wage, good benefits (in 4 reviews)

• The work was quite easy and the atmosphere was laid back (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance was a challenge (in 4 reviews)

• Will never see any upper management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

1. Featured Review

Working for a growing organization in an ever changing industry!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Ochsner Health System full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working here was great! Management is very kind and always available to the employees. There is always new opportunities available and nothing is out of reach! Great people to work with and for what I have experience everyone seems to pulls their own.

Cons

Working here you need to remember that you will be working for a growing organization that is in the ever changing healthcare industry. This organization is one of the largest of its kind in the area and is seeing many growing pains due to all the changes we are experience in healthcare. The benefits are good but expensive and not the best I have seen!

I know that turnover in your departments can be troublesome but try not holding someone back from their true potential and please don't hold a grudge against them for trying to better themselves. A little praise and encouragement goes a really long way.

Awesome health system to work for.

I worked at Ochsner Health System

Pros

Awesome staff and potential to grow in your career

Cons

awesome awesome awesome great compensation

Great workplace.

I have been working at Ochsner Health System

Pros

Benefits
    Work life balance
    Salary
    Opportunity to grow
    Team work
    Ethics

Cons

Job shadowing very difficult
    Managers expect a lot

Nothing compares

I worked at Ochsner Health System

Pros

Enjoyable atmosphere, team environment, everyone works well togehter

Cons

Sure there are some as no place is perfect, I didn't experience the cons so can't say.

Great place to work

I worked at Ochsner Health System

Pros

Great opportunity to make a difference

Cons

Great environment but long work hours

I'll echo another review: "Trying to Play in the Big Leagues with Minor League Players."

Former Employee - Revenue Cycle Representative III in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Revenue Cycle Representative III in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Ochsner Health System

Pros

When I think of one, I'll let you know.

Cons

Salaries are generally low. In fact, on the annual employee engagement survey, the majority of staff expressed lack of satisfaction with their salary. The CEO responded with videos that say things like "please remember, your compensation is the total of your salary and your benefits!." Hint hint: that's the truth everywhere, and the benefits are nothing to ride home about.

Tuition reimbursement is negligible for a company that supposedly values education.

Health insurance is pretty horrible if you're ever outside (displaced by hurricane, on vacation) of the Ochsner area in Greater New Orleans and Baton Rouge.

Retirement was pretty poor and I didn't participate, as the 5 or 6 year vesting schedule was too much. I knew I wouldn't make it that long.

Vacation and PTO are nothing to ride home about. When we were displaced by a hurricane, the company was particularly insensitive to employees' attempts to get back to the area in time. Clock ins and outs are policed like crazy. This is NOT the place to work, if you have a family.

General cheap and disrespectful policies. PTO sold back at only 60% of your salary - what? Caps on salaries that are low and pretty easy to hit. Raises were not present for several years that I was there or were reduced to almost nothing (.5% - 1%, less than inflation).

Check your egos at the door. There's a reason there's so much resistance about expansion into other facilities, like East Jefferson, and there's DEFINITELY a reason Ochsner was rated "junk bond status," based on cash reserves.

The company is floundering, and its solution is to try to expand and spread the misery.

Co-workers were best part of the job

I worked at Ochsner Health System

Pros

Great camaraderie with co-workers; felt like were part of a team making a difference and doing important work even if were just a small part of a very large machine.

Cons

While co-workers were the greatest part of the job, the management left a lot to be desired; micro-management prevented growth both individually and as a department.

Terrible pay and culture

Current Employee - Professional, Non-clinical
    Current Employee - Professional, Non-clinical

I have been working at Ochsner Health System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I am very lucky to work with a great team but it seems there is a high amount of turnover in every department
    Great resume builder

Cons

Worst pay in the city
    Expect to see upper management use favoritism with regards to promotions and raises
    Processes and policies change nearly on a daily basis
    There is no work life balance and the benefits are expensive
    No clear communication and HR is an absolute nightmare to work with

Open your eyes and listen to your employees
    Take a look at your Turnover?? Why do so many people leave in such a short period of time?

Management is totally clueless and makes no attempts to rectify that situation

Former Employee - Membership
    Former Employee - Membership

I worked at Ochsner Health System full-time (more than a year)

Pros

For the lazy worker- it's pretty hard to get fired & you can get away with almost anything. Time-off policy is pretty generous and the benefits are not terrible. There's always lots of juicy gossip going around if you appreciate that.

Cons

As others have noted, many members of leadership lack any formal education in management. They are just kind of winging it, and you can tell. My manager was very computer-illiterate, but her job required use of Excel daily. It was rather unfortunate. Additionally, instead of facilitating a "team"-oriented environment, she chose favorites and told us that she was willing to throw us under the bus in order to get ahead. Turnover in our department was high. The culture of nepotism in the New Orleans area is rampant at Ochsner.

I would suggest promotions based upon leadership abilities and not just who has been working there the longest. Also try not to forget that this is a hospital, and treating it as a mechanism for profitability while claiming to be a non-profit is inexcusable. Additionally, stop playing favorites.

Disgraceful

I worked at Ochsner Health System

Pros

Not one thing comes to mind.

Cons

As a person with a terminal degree, I was floored at how little they paid employees from MD's to EnvirnmentalService folks simply attempting to make a daily living.

Ochsner Health System Photos