Octa Reviews

Updated August 1, 2014
Updated August 1, 2014
3.5

Ted Nguyen

Working at octa has been a great learning experience for me (Previous intern)

Former Employee - College Intern in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - College Intern in Orange, CA

I worked at Octa as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Excellent Work-Life Blance
    - Intuitive and understanding supervisors
    - Helpful, easy-going coworkers

Cons

- Seriously difficult to get promoted, seniority rules
    - Very old talent currently present
    - Under-utilization of technology

Bring young talent aboard!
    Utilize Newer technology within the company

Public Communications Intern

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Octa as an intern

Pros

Paid internship, great opportunity for real world experience. Lots of fellow interns to connect with. Can last up to three years, so an immersive experience.

Cons

Internal politics and management made it seem stagnant--as if projects would never and could never move forward.

Professional and over all good experience

I have been working at Octa

Pros

I was presented with many challenging tasks, which helped me grow in my desired career. The people working here are educated and entertaining

Cons

I find that the work gets boring sometimes, it is a government job after all. Fridays no one is doing anything. Sometimes there are to many bus drivers just out smoking cigarettes and talking about nothing it drives me crazy. The pay is alright as well, could be better. It is hard to get rewarded because it is a government job and taxpayers money and everyone here is in a union.

Great place to work, not a ton of open positions

Former Employee - Intern in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Orange, CA

I worked at Octa as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly company culture. A lot of effort goes into making the employees feel appreciated. You can stay a long time here if you get in the right door.

Cons

If you are interning here, full-time positions are rare. Job are budgeted and only open if someone leaves or retires.

You are losing a lot of top talent when your interns leave. Figure out a way to keep more of them!

Solid Experience

Current Employee - Intern in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Orange, CA

I have been working at Octa as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Company culture, values, and ethics are top notch. The company does a good job at making every employee feel valued. There is a sense of pride in the work done and the company seems to genuinely care about the public's perception.

Cons

Must be self-motivated and seek out additional work at times. There is significant downtime if one neglects to remain busy, but there is always more work to be done.

Great place to work for stability

I have been working at Octa

Pros

Flexible and ideal for employees with Families.
    Low Stress

Cons

Public, opportunities, salary, lack of efficiency, bureaucracy

It is a great company to work for, the majority of the time

I worked at Octa

Pros

Really great co-workers (the majority anyway), interesting work, People tend to work there for a long time. Depending upon your boss, it can be a great experience or a bad one, but that's true anywhere.

Cons

The pay might be lower than private sector

The managers that treat the employees with respect are in turn, respected the most

Not a place to make a lifelong career

Current Employee - Analyst in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Orange, CA

I have been working at Octa full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Coworkers are great, nice people to spend the work day with. 9/80 work schedules with every other Friday off. Pay 100% for Metrolink monthly pass for commuters and you don't have to pay and then get reimbursed anymore, they now have the corporate quick card.

Cons

Very much a "butts in seats" culture. Teamwork is not something that is not encouraged or valued. You will not get promoted unless your manager is willing to talk you up and make a case for you, or you threaten to quit and go to another job. Official policy has been no raises for the past 4 years, however there are numerous examples of people getting promoted to get raises regardless of the "official" policy. Every decision revolves around what the board may or may not say or has said. Most internal discussions and meetings are really just strategizing on how to sidestep sticky questions from the board. Very little mobility or room for advancement unless you know the right people.

Take employee concerns and requests seriously. Have internal transparency on how employees get promoted and rewarded - right now it is non-existent. Realize that we are people and not robots.

Things May Be Changing

I have been working at Octa full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are some really decent, smart people in management and on staff. We have a new CEO, and I think he is one of them.

Cons

Management that won't (or can't) have the difficult conversations - with their staff, with their boss or with each other. A CYA mentality. A general difficulty defining strategic goals (generally foucsed on projects). They like to say they are responsive, but it feels like they are just reacting to what the CEO or board says and not thinking much. Not great stewards of tax money. They have the typical "use it or lose it" attitude about spending grant money. I cant speak for all directors and above, but the one in my division is not a good leader. High turnover rate, and its NOT all about the money. Our last CEO was commended by someone on the board of directors for improving morale. Sadly, that just shows how disconnected both were from true feelings. People were leaving faster than the market rate even during the recession. That should tell you something.

Hold each other accountable - for results, for commitments, for poor leadership. Be consistent. Get rid of the deadweight. Most of the employees know who they are, and it is frustrating to see them taking up resources (positions, salary) that could be used to reward the stars that shine, are ignored and then leave.

AS CONTRACTOR

Former Employee - Contractor in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Contractor in Orange, CA

I worked at Octa as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

RFP process is clear and tight. Know your questions and be ready for the Q&A sessions!

Cons

RFP requires giving copyright materials to public domain.

re-examine RFP criteria