Octapharma Plasma

Updated December 3, 2014
2.5

CEO

Roller coaster Ride

I have been working at Octapharma Plasma full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are some really good employees here as co-workers. The current management is great and tries their hardest to work with you. They really are looking to advance you up in the company. Flexible hours.

Cons

Revolving management, along with "cliques" in the work place and employees utilizing their call off exceptions to miss work. The flexible scheduling can be a con because your schedule isn't consistent and changes every week. Starting pay is crappy as well as raises when cross training in different areas

Talk more with employees about issues that arise within the work area, which would help with training, personal growth and potentially help with promoting.

Schedules bad but better than a hospital

Former Employee - Physician Substitute in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Physician Substitute in Newport News, VA

I worked at Octapharma Plasma full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of autonomy - the managers are not medical professionals so they trust the nurses' judgement as long as you have documentation to back it up. Good coworkers, drama was there if you went looking but most people could stay out of it. Pay was pretty good, about the same as hospital for a new grad. Lots of head to toe assessments, some first aid/emergency care. If you wanted to do nothing you could hide out with paperwork until you were needed -- if you like to stay busy you can cross-train to the floor and to the front registration.

Cons

Shifts start at 6:30am, 9:30am, 12:30pm and go for 8 hours (or until center is closed). Despite repeated requests, management wouldn't allow the nurses to go to a 10 hour or 12 hour shift schedule, though other areas were allowed to have those shifts. Lots of silly trainings that happened every few months. Doctor only visited once a week and wasn't always available by phone.

Probably the best plasma company to work for

I have been working at Octapharma Plasma

Pros

Good co-workers, ability to spend money on employees

Cons

Long hours, weekends can be frustrating.

Great for experience but don't make it a career.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Octapharma Plasma full-time

Pros

Moved up reasonably fast to a point. Learned a few new skills. The work is pretty easy more like a factory. New people constantly, both employees and donors.

Cons

Supervisors are the worst about spreading gossip and usually do the least amount of work. The center director plays favorites based on who he hired vs. who actually works hard and shows up. Starting pay is $8.00/hr. There are no set schedules. Promotions and raises are not really work based more popularity based.

If you are going to make special considerations for one person you should do it for everyone.

Horrible, HORRIBLE management. Don't waste your time with this place.

Former Employee - Phlebotomist/Donor Floor Technician
    Former Employee - Phlebotomist/Donor Floor Technician

I worked at Octapharma Plasma (more than an year)

Pros

The only pros I can think of are the fact that you get to meet a lot of people from a lot of different backgrounds, and if you're just there for a paycheck your hours will be pretty consistent.

Cons

The most blatant of the many cons of working at this company is the very low pay grade you receive for the kind of work you do. Expect any additional training you receive to take weeks or months to complete, and expect it to be put on hold for long periods of time. Also be prepared for long, monotonous hours on your feet with no breaks and managers that don't care about you.

Going in I thought that rude donors would be the problem with this job but management is far, far worse. As to be expected in a manufacturing facility, the only thing they care about in the end is working their employees to the bone to get a maximum amount of labor out of them. Management at my center insulted and degraded every employee, including myself, at least once to a level any reasonable person would consider to be verbally abusive, and at times they did it to us in front of donors, or even to donors. Every manager I met had an elitist attitude and they show very obvious favoritism towards certain employees. In my case one of my managers had a very ghetto mindset and only showed appreciation towards employees with that same attitude. The rest of us might as well have been wearing slave rags instead of lab coats. In the end if you're not friends with management it doesn't matter how hard you work, how nice you are, how smart you are, or how long you've been working there, you can expect to get treated like dirt.

Replace yourselves with competent managers who actually care about their employees.

Hard to become manager unless you're willing to move

Current Employee - Fully Cross Trained
    Current Employee - Fully Cross Trained

I have been working at Octapharma Plasma full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Job Security, 40 Hours, Good People to work with.

Cons

Level of Appreciation for Hard Work

Help Develop Leaders, Not Stunt Growth

Terrible place to work, get the experience and LEAVE!!!

Current Employee - Phelbotomist in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Phelbotomist in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Octapharma Plasma full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Experience in a "medical atmosphere".

Cons

Micro managing, poor pay, disrespectful managers, rude and disrespectful donors, unapproachable leadership, DRAMA!!!

Octapharma Plasma is a good learning place. If you want experience in phlebotomy, this is the place for you.

Current Employee - Donor Floor Technician in Garland, TX
    Current Employee - Donor Floor Technician in Garland, TX

I have been working at Octapharma Plasma full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent company to learn Phlebotomist skills.

Cons

The pay rate should match the job description. Little pay for a very serious job.

Be more attentive to your employees needs.

It's a fun great place to work!

I worked at Octapharma Plasma

Pros

Meeting new people,always something different, fun staff and company

Cons

Working Holidays and Evening shifts

Worst job I've ever had.

I worked at Octapharma Plasma

Pros

The only thing I can think of that was positive about this job was when we had a hurricane the paid us for bad weather and gave us the day off. The structure the company offered was pretty consistent.

Cons

It was AWFULLY monotonous. The same thing for 8 hours a day 40 hours a week. Nothing was interesting or challenging at all. There was also no possibity for advancement. I was promised a raise and new job title within a month of hire and it never happened. It finally got to the point I couldn't take anymore and walked off the job. I wouldnt recommend this job to my worst enemy..

You have got to break the monotony.