Octo Consulting Group

Add Photos

Mehul Sanghani

Fun, Dynamic, & Rewarding

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsThe firm has a tremendous culture - people generally like each other here
    The firm knows how to have fun, but also knows when to buckle down
    Tremendous transparency from top on down on how the firm is doing, CEO is young but a motivational leader and an AMAZING speaker
    Keg in the kitchen and free snacks & soda at the office

ConsClient experience on site can vary based on assignment
    Exec VP & VP level staff who have poor communication skills

Advice to Senior ManagementDo everything you can to maintain the culture. Make sure the Exec VP & VP personnel don't assume respect is automatically given based on title.

Good Place to work!

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsDynamic small business growing to mid size with a staff of young, bright and enthusiastic personnel

ConsI do not have any cons at this time.

Great strategic vision, tactical execution needs a little expectation management

Associate (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsSmart, dedicated core group of founders and original employees. Fun place to work.

ConsExpectations for advancement need to be clear and periodic checks with management to make sure you are on track with their expectations are critical.

Advice to Senior ManagementClearer expectations for advancement

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent small business with huge potential and smart, ambitious young leadership

Senior Manager (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsGreat benefits, and a real effort to integrate employees into company culture. A truly family-oriented company with a great perk - an annual strategic offsite to a different city. A fun company to work for.

ConsTeams are too spread out on the geographically, preventing easy access to senior management. Need more women in senior leadership roles

Advice to Senior ManagementVisit your onsite teams more often to ensure that all employees are receiving equal attention and professional growth guidance

Challenging and worthwhile

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat benefits and outlook as the firm looks to grow. The Management team really looks to empower their employees to succeed at every level - be it client delivery, business development, corporate growth or internal operations. Also, I have a learned the many facets of strategy development and consulting from the people I work with and report to.

The firm also looks for participation from folks from across the firm in their decision making which feels good.

ConsNothing significant. Work-life balance can be a little bit of a challenge at times but the management team always make it a point to recognize and reward the extra efforts.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep chugging along. Don't change the culture you have created thus far.

Amazing company with great culture and values

Senior Management Consultant (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsTransparent senior management
    Great work/life balance and company culture
    Some of the smartest people in the IT and Management Consulting field work at Octo
    You will truly feel like a member of a family and are treated like one

ConsNone that I can think of. I did not have anything but positive experience at Octo

Advice to Senior ManagementOcto Consulting Group is on the right path to success. Keep up the great work and never change the current company values and culture

Good place to work in the DC area

Consultant (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsGood projects from the Federal Government

ConsNone. Nothing comes to mind.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. Nothing comes to mind.

Excellent Small Business

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) McLean, VA

Prosgreat culture and work environment

Conslong hours and juggling lots of things at once

Sales above all else; you aren't judged on the quality of client work, but on how much new work you sell to that client.

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Tysons Corner, VA

ProsSometimes generous with charity. Nice hotels and pretty good food when traveling.

ConsConstant pressure to sell

Management tends to act like big brother, reading employee's email (although it is legal because it is their email system, it isn't normal for management to do this)

The best opportunities come to those who buddy up to management. This means pretending to be their friends at happy hours

A complete lack of acknowledgement by management of a work-life balance. Their expectation is that you work 40+ hours for the client (billable time), and then also perform tasks for the company outside of that. Realistically, they want around 50 hours a week from you, plus you must attend at least 2-3 of their evening events per month.

Management stretches the truth on growth. The number of employees of the company hasn't grown much in 3 years, however they claim significant growth by claiming sub-contractors as employees. Likewise, they show off their office space, however OSHA pays for the space to house the developers who are subs for Octo. It is a dishonest and misleading practice.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat the company like a business, not a frat. Lots of alcohol and nice restaurants are a way to make you feel good about yourselves, not the proper way to reward good employees and hard work. Also recognize good work, not just sales; you are hiring employees to service customers, not to sell to them non-stop. Stop trying so hard to impress employees with how great management is.

Great place to work - recommend Octo highly

Senior Associate (Former Employee) McLean, VA

Pros- Great firm that provides excellent growth opportunities for talented and motivated consultants
    - Young and energetic workforce with strong talent levels
    - Dynamic leadership team that is serious about creating a fun and rewarding work environment, where everyone shares in the successes of the company
    - Very competitive salary with extremely generous benefits (great healthcare, PTO, 401(k) etc.). Many additional perks (such as free iPads, spot bonuses, frequent company dinners/happy hours, annual offsite)
    - As the leadership will proudly tell you: 'Octo has an extremly low jerk count compared to most workplaces'. They genuinely do - the company is filled with exceptionally nice people
    - Surprisingly mature infrastructure and support functions (for a smaller company)

Overall, if you want to work for a dynamic consultancy that is causing a stir in the industry (in a good way), look no further than Octo. I spent 3 years there and loved every minute.

ConsVery few. Occasionally the hours can be long, but no worse than any other companies in this industry. There have been challenges associated with growing so fast, but those have generally been well managed. The management team is quick to learn lessons and take action.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. Don't be afraid to shape a unique company in your own vision.

Worked for Octo Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!