Octo Consulting Group Reviews

So far so good….

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Octo Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're like me, you are generally a cynic by nature. I perused Glassdoor before I joined Octo and wasnt sure what was true and what wasn't, other than they impressed me with their culture during the interview process and what I had heard from others I knew that worked with them. The truth is that NO company is perfect, and Octo is no different. However, I can report that so far if you are looking for a place that: - Is transparent with sharing its corporate strategy and direction - Lays out how you fit into the firm - Gives a ton of money for personal development and free on-site classes for Agile certs - Has genuine people that are serious about their work, but don't take themselves too seriously - Offers above average comp benefits and perks and bonuses at all levels Then this is a pretty good place to work. Couple things that impressed me thus far. Firm held a series of focus groups to gather feedback on a new career progression model. New model does a much better job of addressing a career path for technical engineers like me. Most firms, would not invest a ton of ton adjusting to that kind of feedback. Most management is pretty approachable too. The CEO held a really big summer party for the entire firm and all their families at his house. There are politics as you go up the leadership chain, but no more than any other firm. The leaders seem very sincere in how they listen to you, which is a big deal in how I assess whether a place is a decent place to work.

Cons

Firm needs to do a better job of addressing how technical folks can add value to the firm strategic direction. Some folks perceive that proposals are the only way to go. Some of this is being addressed in the new career model that is still being developed, but still an issue. Like any firm, there are pockets of folks that like to complain about whatever. It could be the weather, the customer, their workload. I find this really irritating. Every firm has them, but it doesn't make it any less annoying. There was not much in the way of orientation to the firm. My PM spent a great deal of time explaining the ins and outs, but I expected a more formal orientation. I've heard other new hires say the same.

Advice to Management

I have worked at 3 different firms in my career before Octo. Have to say this place ranks at the top of the places I've worked at so far. Management needs to keep being real with its employees and stay connected with what the employees are saying like I have seen so far. I would also recommend they hire folks that have a work hard, but laid back mindset. The folks here work hard and management asks a lot beyond just working at client site sometimes. They offer good things in return from what I have seen. Just don't hire folks that don't buy into that or aren't really interested in that kind of model.

Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Octo Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Company to work for. Challenging work, interesting technology.

Cons

Nothing as of now, as this is great company to work.

Advice to Management

Great Management.

3. Good Company

Pros

Super friendly team, nice place to work.

Cons

long works but lot of flexibility.

5. Churn & Burn

Former Employee - Consultant in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Consultant in McLean, VA

I worked at Octo Consulting Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Good charity donation matching from time to time, and health care benefits were good.

Cons

Employees turn over frequently here. Look at their employee list each year and you'll see. Work/life balance is terrible if you want to get ahead. It is run more like a frat where, the more you stay out and be a bro with them, the better chance you have at getting ahead. But, it isn't just about being a bro, it is about selling new work. Not really delivery, not really being a team player, but selling. If you like to focus on doing great work but aren't into sales, this isn't really the place for you to grow.

Advice to Management

Be honest with employees about what will help them get promoted. Care about work quality as much (or more) as selling new work. Calm down with the egos (at partner level).

Great Company!

I have been working at Octo Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Corporate culture is fun and encourages productivity. CEO and executive management are very approachable and interact with employees daily. Very much a family-type atmosphere.

Cons

Nothing really comes to mind... maybe more telecommuting opportunities?

Advice to Management

Keep going in the direction you are going!

Great place to work with Innovative, Experienced employees

Current Employee - Manager in McLean, VA

I have been working at Octo Consulting Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Octo makes investments in their employees by offering a very competitive compensation package, great training and education opportunities while empowering their employees to determine their own career path. Octo hires creative, innovative employees that provide top-notch solutions to their client's issues, problems or needs. The management at Octo is transparent and really cares about each and every one of their employees. We are simply not a "number" to them. All decisions are effectively communicated, with an open-door policy that is encouraged by management. Octo's benefits are very competitive amongst all of the "Big Firms" and employees receive bonuses based on contribution and performance, that incentivizes all to participate in company-wide initiatives. Being apart of a company that is growing exponentially, has been so rewarding and reinvigorating.

Cons

I do not have any cons at this time.

Inexperienced Group of Fraternity Boys Running a Firm

Pros

Good salaries and benefits, compensation, office culture.

Cons

Leadership, no opportunities for advancement unless you previously worked at Gartner and part of the "good ol' boy" network of insular leaders/founders.

Advice to Management

Set expectations properly during the interview process. Don't encourage and tell employees one thing, and then have other expectations. If an employee is not meeting expectations, discuss with the employee IN PERSON, not behind their back and label them a "bad seed".

9. Very positive. Happy to be a part of this company.

Current Employee - Consultant in Springfield, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Springfield, VA

I have been working at Octo Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Octo has seen incredible growth over the past few years and this will continue into the near future. There is a tight office culture, particularly among market segment teams and there are opportunities to gain experience supporting internal business operations if that is something one would like to pursue. There is support for you to transition among contracts should the client decide to discontinue the contract.

Cons

Octo is solely working against government contracts. The firm was founded as an IT, IT acquisitions and program management consulting firm. There has been somewhat of a shift away from that focus and with this has come a loss of some differentiation. The new Octo Labs project is a solid concept, bringing internally created innovations to market is a worthwhile project but how will the firm gain competitive advantage over other firms that are remaining focused on their key consulting differentiators: their people.

Advice to Management

Do not let a focus on Octo labs take away from investments in the core of the business and expanding the capacity of staff. Aim for some diversification in contracts and aim to help staff rotate across customers in order to create a more versatile team being offered by the company.

Fun, Dynamic, & Rewarding

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA

I have been working at Octo Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The firm has a tremendous culture - people generally like each other here The firm knows how to have fun, but also knows when to buckle down Tremendous transparency from top on down on how the firm is doing, CEO is young but a motivational leader and an AMAZING speaker Keg in the kitchen and free snacks & soda at the office

Cons

Client experience on site can vary based on assignment Exec VP & VP level staff who have poor communication skills

Advice to Management

Do everything you can to maintain the culture. Make sure the Exec VP & VP personnel don't assume respect is automatically given based on title.

11. Good Place to work!

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Octo Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dynamic small business growing to mid size with a staff of young, bright and enthusiastic personnel

Cons

I do not have any cons at this time.

RSS Feed </> Embed