Odeon Cinemas

Updated January 22, 2015
2.9

Odeon Cinemas CEO Paul Donovan
Paul Donovan

Pros
  • The free cinema tickets was a very good bonus and I always got the work breaks and holidays that I wanted (in 18 reviews)

• Free films - though the novelty of that wears off after a month of working there (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Cashiers that were once team members are segregated away from the (in 11 reviews)

• The member of staff was then told he would never be promoted to team leader, however continued to request that he carried out (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Good experience, shame it ended!

Former Employee - Customer Assistant
    Former Employee - Customer Assistant

I worked at Odeon Cinemas

Pros

If you love films and have an interest in them then this is the place to work
    I actually stayed even though maybe I shouldn't have because of the people. We were mostly friends and it made working a bit easier.

Cons

Sometimes it is not easy to please everyone, but at least we tried
    We didn't always get the film's people wanted to watch because of the size of the site
    Closing shifts were not shared out equally so there was not much work/life balance especially when you would be scheduled for days that you had already arranged not to be at work, in addition, you would get called in a lot if someone didn't turn up.

Sometimes it was easy to feel unappreciated for the hard work we put in
    The social media policy, while I understood why it had to be like that was restrictive. I actually quit Twitter and Facebook because I was petrified of saying the wrong thing and getting the sack frankly

Not what it once was

I worked at Odeon Cinemas full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Tough to say nowadays, I worked with them for over 10 years, and for the majority of that time i enjoyed it. Good close knit group of people within the individual cinemas, friendly rivalry with other cinemas in your region were the pros of old.

Cons

company is no longer about Cinema, nor is it even about making money, it is all about saving money, bringing inexperienced people in to work for peanuts, not contributing to the upkeep of it's buildings, etc still a lot of good people working there at all levels, however their hands are tied.

Invest in people again, you used to do it so well

A good place to learn a lot

Current Employee - Odeon Team Member in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Odeon Team Member in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Odeon Cinemas full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I joined six months ago as a graduate - so wont be here forever - and have found that compared to working in food retail, which was desperate - that I have a lot more responsibility and can personally make a difference when it comes to customers. People tell me that things are changing in the company - and the Vision and Values programme I went through after i arrived was impressive - and seems to be being followed through on. I have learned to manage cash, to sell, to handle difficult situations, and to make a great coffee - all useful. Film is fun - always changing - and free films is a great benefit as that's my passion. Pay is OK - and has recently been increased in London - if you get enough hours . My advice is to be pushy - OK recently as we are much busier. There are incentives - but they seem a bit random to be honest, and cant be relied on. My team are good fun - they were welcoming, are mostly my age and good for a night out.

Cons

The hours are pretty flexible - but you have to be prepared to work evenings and weekends - obvious really - but sometimes a bit of a pain. The team room is a bit of a dungeon -with no windows but a TV and games console. Longer term staff can be a bit stuck in their ways and a bit sceptical of anything new. When we are busy staffing levels means sometimes we are really stretched and things can get a bit manic just before a film, but then time flies.Please let us know our working hours more in advance - we have lives too!

Spend more time listening to us - you have some really good people who want to make a difference! Some cinema Management spend too much time in the office rather than out front. It would be great if there was a really structured training programme. Mine seems a bit haphazard, but good when it happens. Head Office seems a bit remote - I am sure we could do more locally, where there is a big student population if they let us.

Good times

Former Employee - Team Member in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Team Member in London, England (UK)

I worked at Odeon Cinemas

Pros

Free films are a big plus, the people are really great, taught me some life skills like how to talk to customers, would come back next year after my exams if they'll have me!

Cons

Uniform is not comfortable but I heard they are changing it soon anyway. Team room wasn't the best either but we did have a TV in it

enjoyable

Former Employee - Usher in Liverpool, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Usher in Liverpool, England (UK)

I worked at Odeon Cinemas part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overall a great experience and made some of my best friends there. Helped me mature a lot.

Cons

Poor pay, not many opportunities in advancement (however, I never asked as it wasn't something I was interested in.)

Management at the very top, meaning company CEO's etc need to experience actually working in Odeon for a month or so to get to grips with how stupid and un-realistic some rules and regulations are.

Everyday is different and the people are great! Excellent chances to be developed.

Former Employee - Team Member
    Former Employee - Team Member

I worked at Odeon Cinemas part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work can be challenging at times in a positive way, if you have a good approach then lots of chances. Meet loads of great mates and lots of good nights out.

Cons

Work can be challenging when understaffed and some customers can be difficult to handle but managers are always on hand. Some staff who been working there for a while not happy which can make it difficult on quiet shifts.

Having more uniform could help, as a student I had to use the laundrette so when doing more shifts on holiday time it was hard to keep a clean uniform.

Enjoyable

Current Employee - Crew Member in Cardiff, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I have been working at Odeon Cinemas part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Its varied, friendly, and an exciting fast pace environment to work

Cons

When it's not busy it's quite slow and hard to make yourself look busy

Very social place to work but low wages

Former Employee - Odeon Team Member in Maidenhead, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Odeon Team Member in Maidenhead, England (UK)

I worked at Odeon Cinemas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great discount in the cinema, free tickets for yourself and an allowance of tickets for friends and families. really sociable place to work, the average age of the team members is about 20 and probably around 95% of non-management staff are of this age and we all would go out and socialize together. I had really good fun working here! quite flexible on hours and can swap between ourselves. the managers at the cinema I worked in were all really lovely and i could go to them if I had a problem with anything. Great place to work if wanting lots of hours and money over the holiday periods!

Cons

can be given almost no hours if it is quiet and cannot rely on it unless you have another job or are a student etc. Cannot take much time off in holidays obviously because that's when it's busy. Quite a small staff base so quite obvious when certain people are being favoured by management (eg. more hours or better shifts). really not much in terrms of personal growth or promotions beyond a team leader (supervisor).

stop cutting hours, i know it's all about making money but we are meant to be giving good customer service which is near on impossible when I am controlling both the tickets, making and taking money for the concessions, maintaining stock and temperate checks etc and any other problems. we are already the most expensive cinema...so give the customers a GREAT experience too!
    you need more chance of promotions and personal growth, maybe offer out leadership schemes. Although I do recognise that a large number of staff are only there to work during holidays or whilst at university etc. Also have genuinely never been in a job where the team members have been treated with such indifference from upper managers (regional managers etc), my regional manager could definitely not name a single member of staff and would never say hello or ask how we are or anything. Also after a meeting to discuss how to make the cinema better, all of our ideas and opinions were completely shut down and disregarded. At times there is/can be REALLY low team morale.

Financial Extortion of the Highest Proportion

Former Employee - Team Member in Greenwich, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Team Member in Greenwich, England (UK)

I worked at Odeon Cinemas part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The free movies you can see each month is probably the only plus.

Cons

Understaffed, overworked, more concerned about making a profit than giving a true cinema experience.

For god's sake make a cinema what it used to be because right now it's all £££ and not enough !!!

WORST company to work for

I worked at Odeon Cinemas full-time (less than a year)

Pros

concessions stand discount were ok

Cons

I worked for a different cinema chain until our cinemas was sold to Odeon. We all were treated with so much respect by the previous employer and it all went downhill since Odeon took over. I was one of the managers at the cinema and General manager on his first day said that our opinions didn't matter. He kept slaying us (as a previous company) off to customers any chance he got and was absolutely unprofessional. They treat staff as piece of crap with "leave if you don't like it" mentality, not even trying to help staff with some sort of stability with hours etc. - people have mortgages to pay and children to feed but Odeon as an employer couldn't care less. Generous movie tickets allowance others talk about is joke as well - with my previous employer we had staff previous and unlimited tickets for ourselves as well as 4/ week for guests - all discretion of duty manager. Odeon gives you 4 tickets per month for yourself AND guests in total and you can't watch new releases for at least 2 weeks - where's the perk in working for a cinema then The worst thing is that HR in head office are absolutely inept- not only they didn't pay us right for 6 months (!) but also managed to mess up our tax so we all owed tax at the end of the year! Absolute joke!

Treat your staff like you'd like to be treated! Pay for the hours people work

Odeon Cinemas Photos