Odyssey Hospice

Add Photos

Tony Strange

Solid Reputation

Account Executive (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsCorporate leadership team is very down to earth and friendly. Keep busy, play as a part of the team, and be accountable and you will go far.

ConsSmall stuff that was annoying - LOTS of busy work. Accountability software takes a giant chunk of time, which is expected to be done on your own time. Expense reports were not very streamlined.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on growing and teaching your sales team, not on repercussions of not making your numbers.

Great till Gentiva bought Odyssey out

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsGreat with families and staff

ConsChanging things that didn't need to be fixed

Best working experience of my life!

Executive Director (Former Employee) Shreveport, LA

ProsThey were focused on patients, their families and employees.

ConsOdyssey was sold in August, 2010.

Advice to Senior ManagementWish you hadn't sold out.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a good company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGood benefits and benefits are inexpensive due to company size.

ConsManagement is awful, throws employees under the bus to save themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of managers who are not dedicated to the staff.

Lack of support from management and corporate

ProsThe patients and families are the best

ConsLack of management support for employees

Advice to Senior ManagementPut your staff before $$$

Odyssey

PCS, Community Liaison (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe best reason to work for Odyssey is the service that they provide for people in the end states of their life.

ConsThey are a corporation and forever making staff and policy changes. There does not seem to be any consistency.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees

As Odyssey, patient care was the focus, as Gentiva, bottom line is now the focus

Patient Care Secretary (Former Employee) Waxahachie, TX

ProsThey have good insurance coverage

ConsManagement is unreliable. A Hostile work environment. Disrepectful and paranoia are key to their management style. Upper management ignores request for help and backs even bad management. You have no where to turn for help. A compliance hotline only made things worse.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf employees who have been with your company a long time tell you that there's a problem with management, you should listen.

I loved working for Odyssey Hospice as a crisis care LPN

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey are the most professional medical service that I have ever known

ConsSometimes there are a lot of patients on Crisis care and sometimes you may not have a patient for a week or two at a time.

Advice to Senior ManagementI loved working with Sylvia Marcantel. She is one of the most devoted woman I have ever metin the health care industry.

I will never work for a for profit hospice again/

Hospice Nurse (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsPay was average.
    There were enough patients to keep you busy everyday.

ConsBad management at the local and national level.
    Orientation was poor.
    Main focus was getting more patients and finding reasons to keep them on.
    Local management needed anger management skills. They were hostile to the staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire honest quality assurance people who refuse to be bullied by management when they discover patients admitted who do not meet hospice guidelines and poor quality of care.

Things have gone down hill quick with Gentiva owning them now

RN Case Manager (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe staff that was with original Odyssey or Vista Care are amazing people, do good work and were hand pick and not just the lowest bidder for the job. Even some of the new people that have started are truly amazing. Some of the nurses that work in hospice are truly amazing people. I love most of my field staff coworkers...

The schedule is easily flexed to accomodate some of those work hour things that come up.

Giving the gift of hospice has been one of the most important things I have ever done with my life experiences.

Good use of a wide range of nursing skills and you are always seeing new things.

ConsYour job description is very much open to interpretation and expect several admissions on top of your case load.

They say when hired you will have about 13 pt but be prepared for up to 24 with request from your boss to limit overtime.

They use Gallagher Bassett to manage Workmans comp so be very careful if you chose to work here. This company rarely approves claims and you will be expected to go back to full time w/o restrictions no matter your pain or private DR says. A coworker had a wreck and is probably not safe to drive but is forced to or could lose her job. Don't believe me though just google "Gallagher Bassett wrongful denied claims" and do your research before you apply.

New ED x3 in the last few years and I don't this this one will be the last. Poor management above the PCM position.

Gentiva is on a company buying spree and saving the money by underpaying their good staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour best marketers are not in the suits and skirts you keep hiring... it's the ones out there busting their hump and taking care of families. They live what your marketers are talking about, facilities and families know us by name and remember us forever.

Worked for Odyssey Hospice? Contribute to the Community!