Off Broadway Shoes

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014
2.7

Mark Lardie

Even if you love musical theater - stay away

I worked at Off Broadway Shoes (more than 3 years)

Pros

free shows, autonomy, trips to NYC and other cities

Cons

low pay
    zero upward mobility
    low audience engagement and interest

pay higher salaries to attract and keep talent

Loved it

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Plano, TX

I worked at Off Broadway Shoes full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. Lots of opportunity and growth. Good first job or fifth job. Either way it's a great learning opportunity.

Cons

They need to recognize talent a little quicker so it's not stolen by another retailer. Recruiters are hungry for good talent. Ensuring that it's not stolen by promoting great employees would be agood idea for this company.

Recognize and promote great talent.

Lots of room for advancement!

I have been working at Off Broadway Shoes full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is really trying to make better selections with product.

Cons

Pay is the biggest con. Manager is a liar. A big one!!! Even when he gets caught in a lie it gets turned around that it is your fault and then your made to feel stupid. Unfortunately Regional management is to far away to realize what is going on.

Hope someone figures out what is going on and fixes the problem with store management.

Very unproffesional

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Off Broadway Shoes part-time (more than an year)

Pros

great learning experiences that help you grow. good discount.

Cons

if you don't get along with the upper management you have no say. very unjust. brakes are not given in a timely manner. store manager was very unprofessional.

need better training

If you get a decent store it can be a good place to work.

I have been working at Off Broadway Shoes

Pros

I like that my hours are flexible. My Co workers are great and have been one of the biggest reasons I've stayed here. I'm lucky my store manager really cares about our store and us. She tries to make our store the best, and you don't see that a lot. It's a great job for college students and high schoolers.

Cons

It's incredibly annoying my boss can't set our wages and has admitted if she could, we'd all get paid more because we deserve it. Since we are a small store we don't taken as seriously and our payroll hours are pathetic. Ironically we are one of the best stores in the area too. Basically the management stays because our boss is hard worker, we'd hate to leave her but we all need more pay. Also, a huge annoyance is they expect us to be fashionable on minimum wage, or an average managers wage. No, if you care so much how we dress then pay us for that.

Seriously, up the wages. We are a classy store, we are expected for people to look to us as guidance in shoe fashion. But who can afford that on an average of 8.50? (That wage would be someone who is a supervisor or has been there for 3 years!) No, I'm not asking for "enough for living", this isn't exactly the job for that, I'm asking for what your asking. Affording our "uniforms". So let store managers decide how much their people make, if they can't handle that then maybe you should replace your store managers.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Off Broadway Shoes full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great hours, Salary, Benefits, and upper management.

Cons

Never enough payroll to run smoothly

Give more payroll across the board. An increase in sales associates would increase the number of people to give excellent customer service.

Not The Only One To Have This Opinion.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sunrise, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sunrise, FL

I worked at Off Broadway Shoes part-time (less than an year)

Pros

There not much to put forth.

Cons

- Favoritism and negativity in work environment.
    - Not organize among disputing shifts, breaks and hours.

This branch should have some type of benefits and they should be more active among awareness over high positions employees of there treatment towards others employees and there work skills.

Too much favoritism, rude manager didn't respond to questions/conversation, convinced me employees gossiped about me.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA

I worked at Off Broadway Shoes part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The discount is 40% off, even on clearance. Some managers were friendly and approachable. Coworkers were helpful and hardworking. Most of the customers that come in are not difficult and are easy to assist.

Cons

The assistant manager singles out people and humiliates them in front of their peers (through walkie talkie system), she talks down to you and is too uptight about simple tasks, condones employee gossip and trash-talking and uses fear tactics to make you do "better," meaning that she convinces you people are talking about you behind your back and compares you to other employees, expecting you to perform perfectly at the beginning of your employment. She also made racially discriminatory comments to me in one of her "talks" with me (in which she would lecture me on a minor mistake I made, which was usually along the lines of me assisting a customer for too long, even if that did result in multiple purchases because of my customer service). Whenever I attempted to make conversation with her or to ask questions, she would refuse to acknowledge me or to even make eye contact. She is the single rudest person I had ever met, equipped with awful character and people skills. My excellent customer service, sales, and good performances were ignored for the most part by her and sometimes acknowledged by other managers. The company isn't bad at all, but that one manager truly soured my experience. I do not expect to be returning to another branch, as an employee or a customer. If you enjoy friendly, encouraging environments, worthwhile tasks, and being treated like a human being, then do not work here.

Choose managers more carefully. Make sure that they have no racial biases, that their superiority complexes don't interfere with their treatment of others, and most importantly, that they have PEOPLE SKILLS. As a manager, one must be, at the very least, approachable and willing to help their employees improve, instead of shooting them down whenever they get the chance to do so.

Horrible Company to work for

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Off Broadway Shoes part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discounts. That's all. There's really no pros at working here. I can say that one manager is laid back, and others are not.

Cons

I can tell you how disappointed I am about this company. This company is full of bs.. I was hired, and 49 other people. I love my co workers no doubt. I worked for a week, opening this new store in Las Vegas. Never trained me. They only used me for setting up the store. Opening day, I didn't even get hours. Favoritism is a big thing in this company!

Appreciate your hard working employees! Don't do favoritism!

Supportive

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Off Broadway Shoes full-time (more than an year)

Pros

In times of need I was able to take time off last minute. Everyone was supportive and helped a lot. It was nice to know they were there for me.

Cons

Corporate treats you like you are just a number and instead of inspiring you threatens your job. The pay is not in comparison to other retail positions either.

Pay better and people will be more willing to go the extra mile for you.