Office Depot

Roland C. Smith

23 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Interesting but Frustrating.

I have been working at Office Depot part-time

ProsFlexible hours for part-time.
Diverse product base and Copy Center services can keep things from feeling tedious.
Opportunities to move up in position are available.

ConsMost all positions start at minimum wage, with little room for improvement.
The company cares far more about customers than they do about their employees.
The amount of work for associates, especially in the Copy Center, isn't worth the pay.
New policies have kept all part-time employees with very few hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees a competitive wage and the more competent people will stay.

A Waste of two years

Customer Expereince Manager (Former Employee)
Marietta, GA

I worked at Office Depot full-time for more than a year

ProsTasks are very easy.
Customers are usually nice

ConsUnrealistic goals. There is a lot of favoritism and backstabbing especially in the Atlanta districts

Advice to Senior ManagementThey do not go on your work ethic or your experience. Its all about who you know

The company is fine, the district could use some work

Department Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Office Depot full-time for more than a year

ProsI like the communication between associates I am fan of "Depot Time" depot time is a set block of time where we have all hands on deck. No managers in the office, no team members in the back. When this system is in place, customers get taken care of and employees are not overwhelmed.

ConsNot school friendly, They hire a lot of part timers at minimum wage and expect open availability. Hard to train associates for all zones. So if back up is needed in a certain department it is hard to get help. I.E. CPD

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more full time associates, increases pay from min wage to 10-12 which will open up a different caliber of employee. If you pay min wage chances are you will get min effort.

Lots of employee turn over and not much opportunity to move up due to outside hiring.

Copy and Print/Technology (Former Employee)
Woodstock, GA

I worked at Office Depot full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWorking with return customers is great.

ConsHigh turn over. Consistent changes in policies when dealing with employee commission on their product protection plan.

Advice to Senior ManagementLay off the store management a bit. I like the saying "**** rolls down the hill" and that means all of the negativity and unrealistic/unaccomplished goals that stress out the Store / Assistant managers effects your hourly employees in a negative way.

It's a bitter sweet job as an associate.

Logistics Specialist (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Office Depot part-time for less than a year

ProsNow I can only speak for my store in the Metro Atlanta Area (will not be specific). If you are a basic Customer Service Specialist I (starting position). It is a bitter sweet situation. The pros are that there is a part of the day (hours vary by time of year but around 12-4) Called "Depot Time" This means that the only thing you are supposed to do is speak with customers and either direct them to the product they are looking for or sell them on a product they are debating on buying. This is great because you are moving a lot and interacting with many people and doing sales work. At least at my store the majority of staff get along and it is a good working environment between eachother, especially with the team work the job requires (lots of communication over the headsets).

ConsOutside of "Depot Time" is where things get tedious. You are often sent to do little tasks, sometime things like reorganizing shelves the way corporate requires which is understandable. However it seems often that things are just made up to have you do for the illusion that payroll isn't being wasted. When it honestly is worse off as you are often doing tasks that don't even need to be done or were just taken care of very recently. As a CSS I you are payed minimum wage and the work they put you through with these tasks are often much more work that minimum wage is worth, especially when your time could be better spent on helping customers that do often get missed and neglected when these tasks are being done. It just seems a bit anti-productive to the message of "Depot Time" or the saying all associates are taught, and they're slogan of sorts "Building our business one customer as a time".

Advice to Senior ManagementRequire less tasking and more customer service, its preferable for the employee and more beneficial to the customers. Of course many tasks are necessary, but manage the time for them better and don't hop on an associate because they aren't working with a customer that very second. We aren't hiding from them..

Horrible Company

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Office Depot full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits are ok. Pay is ok.

ConsDo not know what they are doing. Do not appreciate there employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your employees and train them properly.

It was fun.

CSS- II (Former Employee)
Lawrenceville, GA

I worked at Office Depot part-time for more than 3 years

ProsI liked working with people. The employees were a blast.

ConsManagement was constantly changing. Bad management seeds ruined the store and moral.

Good environment; however non-competitive pay.

Norcross, GA

I have been working at Office Depot full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat coworkers minimizes stress levels which leads to an overall good working environment. In comparison to other organizations the Norcross office has a laid back relaxed environment.

ConsHigh turnover mainly due to low pay. Low sense of job security due to inefficient upper management which tend to make drastic changes every few months, which also includes getting rid of long tenured employees

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote those who deserve to be promoted

They don't reward hard work

Customer Service Specialist I (Former Employee)

I worked at Office Depot part-time for more than a year

ProsOffice Depot is a great place to work if you love working with customers to make them happy. The people are usually fun.

ConsYou only get 10% off of merchandise. Are not fond of giving raises. Sometimes you will work 40 hour weeks and be called in on your day off (very often).

Advice to Senior ManagementTake away the new associate program, please. It sucks so badly. Either do that, or implement some new interactive teaching on the computers. Implement new computers. Copy Center Associates cannot do their job correctly if colors don't show up on the screen as they will in print out. the computers are outdated and slow. Depot Time is a good program, and great company values.

Paper Trails. Everywhere!

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Lilburn, GA

I worked at Office Depot part-time for more than a year

Pros-----------------------------
-Very nice start job for people getting into retail
-From store to store, the management varies. But it is always fair.
-Compensation for up-selling ink and protection
-Each department is easy to learn and seeking help through their store hotline is very good
-----------------------------

Cons-----------------------------
-All employees hired on part-time start at the very bottom of minimum wage
-Copy and Print department can be hectic sometimes
-Learning is on a need to know basis. I learned more from employees than my managers.
-Constantly changing policies within the store. (Ex. How you greet a customer and customer focus only during certain hours of the day)
-----------------------------

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit changing your employee policies. I know the company is not headed in the best direction right now, but could you back off on how employees do their job? The customer is priority. With that being said, there is a point where you are just starting to bug people when it is the same employee harassing if you need help. Other than that, I think the company is well off where it is now.

Worked for Office Depot? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Office Depot reviews and ratings in Atlanta, GA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Office Depot CEO Roland C. Smith. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by Office Depot employees.