Office Depot Reviews

• Austin, TX
2.6
Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith
Roland C. Smith

1. Good Culture, fun people, but looking to move up in a company.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Many trainings and flexible management. Pay is good for the job and no over time required.

Cons

No room for growth in company

2. Best in Texas

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Office Depot

Pros

All the good stuff and then some

Cons

Its office products...fragmented and competitive.

Keep the status quo

Terrible place to work

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Office Depot

Pros

There are zero pro's in this position. The only one I can muster is that it makes you appreciate whatever job you have more after this one.

Cons

There is nothing good about this job.

My mom said if I have nothing nice to say, don't say anything.

Corporate America

Current Employee - Technology Sales Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Technology Sales Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Office Depot

Pros

I'm not micromanaged...YET. I'm sure with the merger being complete now and the new year starting, they are going to begin implementing call metrics and Salesforce/pipeline reviews. Like I said, this hasn't happened yet, but with them already doing that on the supply side of the house, it's fair to assume it's coming for the tech side as well.

Cons

The end of the quarter is in one week and we haven't received quotas. In fact, I've been here for over a year and a half and there has yet to be a quarter where quotas were received before the end of the period. They make excuses as to why this is, but those "reasons" are never resolved for the next quarter. On that same note, when hired, sales roles were promised no cap on overachieving the given quota. With management making excuses regarding the lack of quota, they have capped everyone. When they give the results (3 -4 weeks into the next quarter), those who achieved over 100% were capped at 100% and not paid out at the 115-135% marks they apparently hit according to the numbers management finally provides. It's so maddening that you have to just laugh at it or you'll cry instead.

The managers are okay. Some are overbearing and rude while others are completely hands off and don't go to bat for you when issues arise. There are none in the middle that just do a good job at managing. It is definitely the "good ole boys club" around here.

Figure out how to calculate the quotas and stop jerking people around like they're fresh out of college. Most of the people on the floor come from years of sales experience and they were suckered into joining Office Depot with promises of exponential growth and a laid-back atmosphere. When you look around, out of the 40 people originally hired for this position in March of 2013, only 15 remain. Now, some of those have moved on to other positions within the company (5 to be exact), but losing half of your original pool in less than 2 years seems like a huge red flag to me. And I know for a fact that at least 5 more are currently looking for other jobs. Get it together or there won't be a technology sales team....or maybe that's what you're after?

6. Friendly tech oriented business materials supplier.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Office Depot full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Supportive management that works with employees to assure manageable life work balance and also encourages promotion from within the company.

Cons

Mastering a wide range of popular technology. Working with customers who don't always have a clear idea of their business needs.

Spend more time on the sales floor addressing customer concerns.

Yearly Update

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Typically laid back atmosphere. Good relationship among same-level coworkers.

Cons

Pay is not consistent with responsibilities, never provided numbers about bonuses/quotas. You just have to take the company's word that you're being bonused correctly. Merger has made processes extremely frustrating, there is never a clear answer to any question. Success is all about playing the "corporate game". Definitely not the stable company it once was.

Pride is an evil thing! Be honest with employees as they are the backbone of any company.

My store manager was very motivated to make sales and constantly encouraged us to upsale and try to become better salesmen

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Office Depot part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very laidback and relaxed environment, good temporary job or student job

Cons

You're just another employee to the office depot franchise.

9. Incredible time spent here in this fun, results-driven, progressive sales environment.

Current Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Company values are solid and non-negotiable. Merger is going much smoother than anticipated with synergies already being realized. Opportunities are always available for innovative, hard working employees.

Cons

Although it has improved greatly during my tenure, our advertising and brand recognition continue to come in second place to our largest competitor.

Poor leadership from top to bottom in the ISO in Austin

Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice building, talented but underutilized sales force.

Cons

Easy job if you can tolerate the pathetic lazy management. Unless you are affiliated with the Dell rejects that infect management you have no chance to advance. No real emphasis on sales, they focus on call metrics and other antiquated methods. Management simply checks the boxes and regurgitates the corporate rhetoric that is hung on the walls. I've never worked in a sales position that offers virtually no spiffs or has any worthwhile contests. They offer no motivation other than doing just enough to not get fired. The sales numbers are not transparent and management can't/won't address discrepancies in attainment. The VP has even stated openly in a town hall that "if you don't like it here, find another job".

You need to clean house, from the VP down to the managers. Start over and promote the talent you have on the floor, find people that would actually implement change and promote a culture where employees are rewarded for their efforts. I would suggest that you listen to the sales people and take action but you have proven over and over that you are incapable of doing that. You are completely out of touch with the business. Get your head out of spreadsheets and actually do something. Instead of posting signs with your "values", you should actually try to adhere to them.

11. Ok if you don't mind a low paying mindless job as a phone jockey

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Office Depot

Pros

Mindless work - doesn't take much thought - just press the "button/metric" management wants that month and you can sit there forever. You don't have to think about your job outside of the building and for that matter you don't have to think about it while in the building. You can focus on seeking a job you really like while at work.

Cons

You feel like a "phone jockey" or "call monkey" because of the metric driven attitude. The motivational tactics are offensive and insult your intelligence. There is a pretend coaching and manager method of helping reps improve, but it is cookie cutter and ineffective and no attempt to change. Team building activities are on your own time - you have to use vacation or make up the time.

If you want sales people to fill the seats, motivate the reps like sales people. If you want phone jockeys, keep doing what you are doing around salary, bonuses and culture..that is what you have now. Most real sales people will leave the organization and those that are ok filling a seat for $30- $35,000/year will sit there and continue to give the ISO sub-par results (double digit negative growth)