Office Depot

2.8
1,519 Reviews

Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith
Roland C. Smith

Pros
  • Company is well focus to create customer service as their number goal (in 67 reviews)

• Flexible Schedule - Basically get to create you own schedule (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is not concerned with anyone developing their career (in 71 reviews)

• Minimum wage employees are hard to get great results like the company wants (in 66 reviews)

More Highlights

22 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Friendly tech oriented business materials supplier.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Office Depot full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Supportive management that works with employees to assure manageable life work balance and also encourages promotion from within the company.

Cons

Mastering a wide range of popular technology. Working with customers who don't always have a clear idea of their business needs.

Spend more time on the sales floor addressing customer concerns.

Yearly Update

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Typically laid back atmosphere. Good relationship among same-level coworkers.

Cons

Pay is not consistent with responsibilities, never provided numbers about bonuses/quotas. You just have to take the company's word that you're being bonused correctly. Merger has made processes extremely frustrating, there is never a clear answer to any question. Success is all about playing the "corporate game". Definitely not the stable company it once was.

Pride is an evil thing! Be honest with employees as they are the backbone of any company.

My store manager was very motivated to make sales and constantly encouraged us to upsale and try to become better salesmen

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Office Depot part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very laidback and relaxed environment, good temporary job or student job

Cons

You're just another employee to the office depot franchise.

Incredible time spent here in this fun, results-driven, progressive sales environment.

Current Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Company values are solid and non-negotiable. Merger is going much smoother than anticipated with synergies already being realized. Opportunities are always available for innovative, hard working employees.

Cons

Although it has improved greatly during my tenure, our advertising and brand recognition continue to come in second place to our largest competitor.

Poor leadership from top to bottom in the ISO in Austin

Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice building, talented but underutilized sales force.

Cons

Easy job if you can tolerate the pathetic lazy management. Unless you are affiliated with the Dell rejects that infect management you have no chance to advance. No real emphasis on sales, they focus on call metrics and other antiquated methods. Management simply checks the boxes and regurgitates the corporate rhetoric that is hung on the walls. I've never worked in a sales position that offers virtually no spiffs or has any worthwhile contests. They offer no motivation other than doing just enough to not get fired. The sales numbers are not transparent and management can't/won't address discrepancies in attainment. The VP has even stated openly in a town hall that "if you don't like it here, find another job".

You need to clean house, from the VP down to the managers. Start over and promote the talent you have on the floor, find people that would actually implement change and promote a culture where employees are rewarded for their efforts. I would suggest that you listen to the sales people and take action but you have proven over and over that you are incapable of doing that. You are completely out of touch with the business. Get your head out of spreadsheets and actually do something. Instead of posting signs with your "values", you should actually try to adhere to them.

Ok if you don't mind a low paying mindless job as a phone jockey

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Office Depot

Pros

Mindless work - doesn't take much thought - just press the "button/metric" management wants that month and you can sit there forever. You don't have to think about your job outside of the building and for that matter you don't have to think about it while in the building. You can focus on seeking a job you really like while at work.

Cons

You feel like a "phone jockey" or "call monkey" because of the metric driven attitude. The motivational tactics are offensive and insult your intelligence. There is a pretend coaching and manager method of helping reps improve, but it is cookie cutter and ineffective and no attempt to change. Team building activities are on your own time - you have to use vacation or make up the time.

If you want sales people to fill the seats, motivate the reps like sales people. If you want phone jockeys, keep doing what you are doing around salary, bonuses and culture..that is what you have now. Most real sales people will leave the organization and those that are ok filling a seat for $30- $35,000/year will sit there and continue to give the ISO sub-par results (double digit negative growth)

Unrealistic Expectations, Low Return

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Office Depot full-time

Pros

Some of your teammates can be cool. They bring free food. Some cool managers.

Cons

No quotas until after the quarter is over. Promises of great things never pan out. Set unrealistic expectations.

Be honest.

Terrible environment to work in

I have been working at Office Depot

Pros

Bonus (when you get it on time)

Cons

Everything about how this building is operated. Managers and Directors are lazy. All they care about is what everyone looks like on paper. They claim to be a "sales org" and not a call center. Wrong. This is a call center. If you don't meet your weekly metrics you are warned, then written up, and then terminated. They motivate you to do your job with threats of punishment and termination. They don't really care about their employees or the issues. The one manager who did care and stood behind her team no matter what lost her job for reasons unknown. HR is an absolute joke in this place. You can't trust anyone with anything. So don't expect anyone to help you if you have a problem or issue with anything here. Anything and everything that you say to ANYONE in this building will immediately be spread around the entire ISO from the mouths of managers and HR. Managers talk down to there employees and speak and treat us all like we are children. I can't tell you how many times I've over heard a manager say that they are tired of babysitting, that we are incompetent children, etc. If I would have known this was the type of environment I would be working in I would have NEVER taken this job. I do not blame Office Depot for the lack of leadership in this building. Office Depot as a whole is a good company to work for. But the Austin ISO is the most toxic environment I have every worked in. My advice to anyone who considers working for this location is, TRUST NO ONE! HR will not help you. You will be punished for complaining on any management. If a manager can be accused of sexual harassment and still keep their job, then anything goes here. The Austin ISO needs to do some clean up. Because this place is disgusting.

Give your job to someone who actually wants to develop their reps. Someone who actually cares about making a difference in someones life. Rather than sitting on your tail, whining about how miserable your life is.

Stuck in a rut and many old Dell managers.....enough said. We know what happened to Dell........

Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A way to find a new job elsewhere.

Cons

Lack of reporting, not getting your quota until quarter is over or the last week of the quarter. No commission plan, only a small bonus yearly plan. If you only want to gain a hourly rate and no commission, this is the place for you.

Read the Cons.....above. There are over 75% of the people looking for employment elsewhere. Lack of pay and motivation in sales.

I can't believe how poorly the ISO is run in Austin.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co workers, nice office, easy job if you can tolerate being disrespected.

Cons

There is no transparency on our attainment for bonus. It is obviously manipulated at upper managements discretion. From the VP down they have the attitude of "If you don't like it, find another job". It is ridiculous how they expect morale and energy from the sales force yet everything they do kills morale. They allow almost no SPIFF's and offer virtually no monetary motivation to sell more, they seem to prefer to threaten and demand rather than create a results oriented culture. I find it humorous that they post the OD "values" on the walls but all they do is make a mockery of them. Integrity, laughable. Accountability, only for the sales people. Innovation, well we do have Salesprism.... LOL. Teamwork, sales people work together because the managers are worthless. Respect, yes, a total lack of it.

From top to bottom they are so disconnected from the floor it's absurd. It's like once you become a manager you are exempt from any accountability, you can treat employees however you want and are free to come and go as you please. It is sad that through the good ol boy network we have managed to employ every Dell reject as management. They have fostered the worst culture ever. I can describe most of them with two words, disconnected narcissists.