Office Depot

Office Depot Reviews in Boca Raton, FL

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith

Roland C. Smith

Pros
  • Positive attitudes and customer service create an upbeat work environment (in 57 reviews)

• Work/life balance is heavily weighted towards life; working from home readily accepted (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is not concerned with anyone developing their career (in 64 reviews)

• Minimum wage employees are hard to get great results like the company wants (in 63 reviews)

More Highlights
128 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

My experiencce with the company has been nothing short of excellent.

Analyst (Current Employee) Boca Raton, FL

ProsCorporate america at its best with competitive pay and benifits and room to grow within the company

ConsBeing such a large entity one might find themselves being lost in the corporate structure

Rewarding Opportunities with Plenty of Chances for Career Growth

Director (Former Employee) Boca Raton, FL

ProsGreat work environment, benefits, and pay

ConsLike any big company, it can be a challenge to get everyone on the same page

Typical large company with typical politics and beauracracy

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Boca Raton, FL

ProsIt's a large company, so it can open the door to other large companies. The pay was pretty good.

ConsThe work/life balance is tilted more towards "work." I was applauded for working late. Expected to check your phone and email at all hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter figure out something else to be good at other than office supplies; else the company is doomed to mediocirty and a slow, but sure decline.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's only office supplies

Marketing Analyst (Current Employee) Boca Raton, FL

ProsDecent major corporation. Normal benefits, no obviously crazy senior execs running around. Nice people in the trenches, although a bit defeated.

ConsIt's only office supplies. They are not making innovative decisions to bring on services to help small business owners. They will sell paper and ink until they are obsolete in this digital age.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in innovative thinkers and then get out of their way.

This organization needs a union and not for the hourly but for the management

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Boca Raton, FL

ProsGood experience if you want to only stay for a few years

ConsThey tell you ...that a union isn't important however, when they want to terminate you ..you need someone on your side. The Police have an advisor to assist you ...OD needs this for middle management. The time is now to start an organization ..a lot would join

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat the middle management like valued employee's

Leadership is terrible

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Boca Raton, FL

ProsSome people, mostly at the mid-level are committed to getting it right

ConsLeadership is absolutely terrible; it's complete amateur hour in marketing and merchandising

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the old regime and bring in new leaders who have experience leading and directing

Will Get Much Worse Before It Gets Better

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Boca Raton, FL

ProsCorporate building is very nice.

ConsMost who work in it are stressed out and unhappy after merger with Office Max.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf the goal is to put on a dog and pony show for Wall Street until execs can take their golden parachutes before company is sold off in pieces within 2-3 years, then we are definitely on the right track.

Marketing Supervisor

Marketing Supervisor (Current Employee) Boca Raton, FL

ProsThe training is very good. They offer Online and Instructor lead classes to help you further your career.

ConsAs in any workplace, it's all in the person you work for, they can either make or break your career. The person I worked for was very hands off and gave very little direction. They were either in meetings or in their office.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is very top heavy, who receive all the accolades for a job well done. It is unfortunate, there is a lot of great talent working there, the "workers" just don't get the frills, i.e. bonuses, like the head honchos do. At the top of it all, is Roland C. Smith, who has received millions in bonus, while he laid off 1000's of people between Chicago & Boca Raton.

Developer

Developer (Former Employee) Boca Raton, FL

ProsGood exposure to mix of technologies. Gives yearly bonuses. Team members willing to share knowledge and assist on problems.

ConsPoor and non-existent governance of software development cycles. Never enough time given to do projects right. People making architecture and framework decisions for new development are stuck in old technology and afraid to learn new ways of solving problems. Poor performing legacy code that must be replaced - there is always some failure every day. Poor management style that erodes vitality, respect, and loyalty. Limited opportunities for career advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverhaul IT department and leadership. People that led the company on the way down still in position and should be replaced.

Worked there many years.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boca Raton, FL

ProsTypical benefit package. Typical potential for growth. Work-life balance varied widely. Depended on particular supervisors.

ConsTypical compensation. They recently increased corporate bonus plan to include non-management employees. This could have been due to pressure, after former CEO used to announce in town hall meetings how exiting it was to hit bonus eligibility...meanwhile the majority of the hundreds of people in the auditorium did not qualify. (Talk about not knowing your audience.)

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you announce the speed you will be operating will be just slightly slower than reckless, then receive a gazillion dollar bonus for hitting a certain headcount by a certain date, don’t expect anyone to believe you cared if it was faster than reckless, especially when you immediately go on a hiring spree right on the heels of cutting. New blood isn't necessarily better blood.

Worked for Office Depot? Contribute to the Community!