Office Depot

2.8
1,407 Reviews

Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith
Roland C. Smith

Pros
  • Positive attitudes and customer service create an upbeat work environment (in 57 reviews)

• Work/life balance is heavily weighted towards life; working from home readily accepted (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is not concerned with anyone developing their career (in 64 reviews)

• Minimum wage employees are hard to get great results like the company wants (in 63 reviews)

More Highlights

133 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Office Depot full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good, solid co-workers. My goals have always been clear, but that might be cause of who I report too. Others mileage may vary due to their "boss".

Cons

Not many, typical corporate complaints, politics, etc, but you get that everywhere, HQ or retail.

Treat your employees well and allow them to soar. Not every new employees should have to hop to another company to get a pay raise.

Good experience. Lots of work to be done.

Former Employee - Divisional Merchandise Manager  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Divisional Merchandise Manager in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Office Depot full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very collaborative environment focused on innovation.

Cons

The merchandising organization is far to lean for the omni-channel workload that is expected from the team.

Enjoyed working with great people in a challenging environment.

Former Employee - Senior Analyst  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Office Depot full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The organization, and the supply chain in particular, are very mature with a healthy appreciation for continuous improvement.

Cons

Capital investments were very carefully considered and only approved after many rounds of detailed analysis and justification. The legacy WMS system was not something that translated into value for other organizations.

Continue to recruit and develop talented individuals that will help take the organization into the future.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

First few years were great but as time went by I started to feel unchallenged with unclear direction from management

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Engineer in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Office Depot full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people and sense of community. Great company culture and cool activities. Manager was fair and allowed for a good work-life balance for his direct reports. Salaried positions come with 2 weeks of vacation pay (below director level) and once you've been with the company for 5 years you get an additional week of vacation. Concerning 401K, the company will match 50 cent on the dollar up to 4%.

Cons

Unclear direction from management and above. Company is struggling to recover since the recession and trying to reinvent itself to survive the new economic environment specially as it relates to tough competitors such as Amazon and Walmart etc...Too many internal reorganizations and no true focused long term plan.

Typical large company with typical politics and beauracracy

I worked at Office Depot full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a large company, so it can open the door to other large companies. The pay was pretty good.

Cons

The work/life balance is tilted more towards "work." I was applauded for working late. Expected to check your phone and email at all hours.

Better figure out something else to be good at other than office supplies; else the company is doomed to mediocirty and a slow, but sure decline.

Field support

Current Employee - Field Support  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Field Support in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Office Depot full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people are friendly and genuinely care about one another. The leadership in the company take time to reach out to the stores and thank them for all they do. Great company!

Cons

No cons, it's retail! If you enjoy meeting new people and providing solutions to customers, this is a great place to work at.

Keep it up.

Poor Place to Work

I worked at Office Depot full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good fellow associates, expe3rience is good ..but you learn on your own

Cons

Sr. Directors do not have a clue. All they have is a big degree and NO experience

Promote the Sr. Managers and get rid of the people that don't know anything

Glad my 20 years is over.

I worked at Office Depot full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have no pros at this time except that I am no longer employed by Office Depot. If I was offered a job by Office Depot, I would not accept it.

Cons

This company can not decide what it wants to be when it grows up. Management turns over too often. There is no consistent vision of what this company wants to end up as other than profitable and in favor with Wall Street. Wall Street views this company as a retail company although the majority of their revenue comes from their Supply Chain division and International Division. Office Depot started as a retail company. They have managed to grow significantly through acquisition. But none of their acquisitions were retail companies until Office Max. They try to maintain a retail mentality but the fact is the retail rules just don't work for all the businesses that have been annexed into the overall company.

1. Keep a historical record and look at it every year. Management turns over every 3-5 years. So everything starts over again. The last regime regionalized so the next regime comes in and brings their team from past jobs with them and says, "Oh no. This is all wrong. We can save so much money by centralizing." So the company spends money to centralize, eliminates the experienced help in the region and starts over as a centralized company. Three to five years later, that regime is gone and a new one comes in and says, "Oh no. This is all wrong. We can save so much money by regionalizing (or outsourcing or insourcing or whatever the buzz is at the moment). So the company spends money to regionalize and everything starts all over again. No one ever checks to see if this particular thing has been tried before and 10 out of 10 times it has. Nothing is ever really gained. There is no strategy, no plan. The pieces just get moved around the board a little so it looks like something fresh and new. But it isn't.

2. Decide what the company should be ultimately when it grows up. Then make a plan and stay the course. The constant doubling back and doing over and re-doing does nothing but drain the company coffers.

3. Eliminate the silos and the cut throat culture. It isn't getting the company anywhere.

My experiencce with the company has been nothing short of excellent.

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Office Depot as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Corporate america at its best with competitive pay and benifits and room to grow within the company

Cons

Being such a large entity one might find themselves being lost in the corporate structure

It's only office supplies

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Office Depot full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent major corporation. Normal benefits, no obviously crazy senior execs running around. Nice people in the trenches, although a bit defeated.

Cons

It's only office supplies. They are not making innovative decisions to bring on services to help small business owners. They will sell paper and ink until they are obsolete in this digital age.

Bring in innovative thinkers and then get out of their way.

Worked for Office Depot? Contribute to the Community!