Office Depot

2.8 1,324 reviews

Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith

Roland C. Smith

1,324 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "This was my first job, and i worked in retail as a customer service specialist"
    in 52 reviews
  • "Work/life balance is heavily weighted towards life; working from home readily accepted"
    in 21 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper Management is not concerned with anyone developing their career"
    in 63 reviews
  • "Minimum wage employees are hard to get great results like the company wants"
    in 59 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great!

Copy and Print Specialist (Former Employee)
    Frankfort, IL

ProsGreat staff and friendly managers. I really enjoy how friendly and easy going my co-workers are. The team there is really fantastic. Plus, the managers are really good about making the schedules based on what you want to work.

ConsCostumers can be kind of nasty and uniforms are awful. Overall it is a really good place to work, though. I would suggest getting comfy shoes because you stand all day on concrete floors

Advice to Senior ManagementCould be more stylish

customer service

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood first job out of high school

Consno problem working with people

Good mentally challenging job.

Senior Sales Consultant (Current Employee)
    Parker, CO

Prosstrong team mentality. Great for getting familiar with the community.

ConsFrequent management turnover. Unpredictable fluctuations in hours. Lack of adequate training. Tendency to put the company above the employee.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Technology

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Normal, IL

ProsGood payouts on services and decent hours.

ConsMany of the other technicians don't have any background in technology or have any training

Advice to Senior ManagementMore payout incentives to boost sales and better training in technology staff make Tech Depot more like Geek Squad.

Ok if you don't mind a low paying mindless job as a phone jockey

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsMindless work - doesn't take much thought - just press the "button/metric" management wants that month and you can sit there forever. You don't have to think about your job outside of the building and for that matter you don't have to think about it while in the building. You can focus on seeking a job you really like while at work.

ConsYou feel like a "phone jockey" or "call monkey" because of the metric driven attitude. The motivational tactics are offensive and insult your intelligence. There is a pretend coaching and manager method of helping reps improve, but it is cookie cutter and ineffective and no attempt to change. Team building activities are on your own time - you have to use vacation or make up the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want sales people to fill the seats, motivate the reps like sales people. If you want phone jockeys, keep doing what you are doing around salary, bonuses and culture..that is what you have now. Most real sales people will leave the organization and those that are ok filling a seat for $30- $35,000/year will sit there and continue to give the ISO sub-par results (double digit negative growth)

Average experience inbred culture

Human Resources (Current Employee)

ProsCo workers and senior leaders really do want to improve the company. Culture is trying to evolve, but there are many factors holding it back.

ConsNot open to new ideas or suggestions for improvement. Focused on metrics that do not truly measure customer experience or associate engagement.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more carefully to your customers. Not just the ones coming through the door, but all of the potential ones who no longer shop at an Office Supply superstore. Doing the same thing better is not going to turn the tide here.

Great people, made lots of friends, lazy management, terrible prices on services and products.

Sales Consultant (Current Employee)

Pros- "Hands-on" experience with the software side of computers.
    - The company is dedicated to customer service, so you definitely learn how to deal with people.
    - Working a register, dealing with money.
    - Learning about new technologies as they are brought into the store to be sold.
    - Will work around school schedules.

Cons- Employees are treated like garbage.
    - VERY low pay, it's not even worth the amount of work.
    - Management doesn't help employees because they are expected to do it on their own .
    - Tech Depot services is a joke, its borderline fraud. There are maybe 2-3 services that would be worth it. Other than that, it's just a scam.
    - Expected to know how to do EVERYTHING in the store, including CPD, technology, and some freight. Which is ridiculous for minimum wage.

Advice to Senior Management- Care more for the employees, don't ask too much of them, they will soon realize that it's not worth minimum wage and leave.
    - Do not force sales as much as you do, 80% of the decision is up to the customer. You can explain the benefits and features of the product all you want, but at the end of they day, it's their decision, you act like the customer is going to go and take out a loan to pay the extra $200-$400 to get their PC "protected", I was told by my store manager that "you are shopping with the customers wallet, remember that", which made me wonder.
    - ISCE is literally the most idiotic idea ever thought of, customers start to get paranoid when they hear you talking about how you were just with them over their radio. They also think they are some sort of statistic, and that makes it even worse.
    - Ever since the Office Max merge, Depot time (the "busiest" time of the day, you aren't allowed to do anything but assist customers and walk around to pull things forward on the shelf, you get in trouble if you leave your area) is all day, at least make it back to certain times in the day, that way store stuff can get done without worry.

Inconsistent hours, forceful management (rewards card)

ProsIt's a job. I took it because I needed work for the summer--they needed help for the summer rush.

ConsInconsistent hours, as stated before. Some managers took rewards cards too seriously, pushing them for customers obviously disinterested.

Unrealistic Expectations, Low Return

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsSome of your teammates can be cool. They bring free food. Some cool managers.

ConsNo quotas until after the quarter is over. Promises of great things never pan out. Set unrealistic expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest.

dissatisfied with Office Depot since the merge with Office Max.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

Prosat this point the only pro's are my Co-workers.

ConsNo real Leadership from management at my store. Heavy amounts of work for what you get paid. Constantly bending over backwards for the customer in the hopes of getting a "5" on a survey. Store temperature is always hot. No chance of promotion, especially now with the merge with Office Max. Co-workers are all looking to leave and it doesn't look any brighter down the road.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out into the stores, and not the one down the street from HQ. Put your upper management into the stores and have them do some of the stuff that gets dropped on the stores for a week or so. Pay your people more and give them more hours. More full time positions.

Worked for Office Depot? Contribute to the Community!

Office Depot Videos

Office Depot – Why Work for Us?

The company has combined annual sales of approximately $17 billion, employs about 66,000 associates, and serves consumers and businesses in 59 countries with more than 2,200 retail stores, award-winning e-commerce sites… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Office Depot reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Office Depot CEO Roland C. Smith. All 1,324 reviews posted anonymously by Office Depot employees.