Office Depot

Updated Jul 22, 2014

2.8 1,333 reviews

Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith

Roland C. Smith

Pros
  • The company is dedicated to customer service, so you definitely learn how to deal with people(in 55 reviews)

• Work/life balance is heavily weighted towards life; working from home readily accepted(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is not concerned with anyone developing their career(in 64 reviews)

• Minimum wage employees are hard to get great results like the company wants(in 63 reviews)

1,333 Employee Reviews

A Mixed (Mostly Good) Bag

Copy and Print Specialist (Former Employee) Selma, TX

ProsThe best thing about this job was the people. I absolutely loved everyone I worked with, even the managers. The employees are all pretty young, mostly college-age like me or older, with the exception of a couple managers. As a full-time student, they made an effort to work around my schedule. It's a very casual and fun work environment. The managers are fair and they earn your respect, but you see them more as equals than superiors. It really is "team-oriented" and a lot of fun.

Despite the casual atmosphere, the company places a huge focus on customer satisfaction, and employees do everything in their power to ensure that customer expectations are not only met, but exceeded. I believe everyone I worked with was genuinely committed to this goal.

As a company, they seem to acknowledge that the only way to compete against the bigger chains with lower prices is to offer incomparable customer service. I can honestly say that after working here, my expectations of other retail stores are a lot higher. The store is always clean and tidy, and someone is always there to great you and ensure you find what you're looking for. After working there for a while it can be a bit jarring to step into another store and see messy aisles and employees ducking from view.

As for advancement opportunities, many of the department managers in our store started out as salespeople and worked their way up. After reading some of the other reviews, this may not be the case in other stores.

You'll learn a lot in copy center, and the work is much more satisfying than a simple cashier job. You'll take pride in helping customers with their projects, which can range from sending a simple fax to designing and printing hundreds of wedding invitations. You'll have regular customers you grow attached to, and learn how to handle the especially irritable customers. As a salesperson or cashier you'll learn suggestive selling techniques. No matter what job you have in the store, you'll learn to take care of the customer.

ConsIf you go for the copy center, prepare to be overwhelmed, undertrained, and underpaid. While it can be rewarding at times, I'm not sure if it's worth all the stress I endured, especially for 50 cents above minimum wage. Like one reviewer said, "you're expected to be an $8 an hour graphic designer". Customers don't know or care how little the employees are actually taught. They are under the impression that anyone in the copy center is a professional. It's a little to much responsibility for a part-time job.

There's always something to do, which is nice, but it's infuriating to be toiling away in copy center and see three other employees out on the sales floor goofing off. You'll be expected to juggle multiple customers at once, act as the store receptionist, meet unreasonable deadlines, and repair/refill machinery.

On top of this, you still have all the duties of any other employee, and must develop extensive product knowledge, sell the company rewards program, and check out. This doesn't sound too unreasonable, but when you're struggling to assist three or four customers at a time and another guy comes sauntering towards you just needing to checkout, and you glance over at the registers and see nobody there...It gets frustrating.

You're pretty much required to take your work home with you in this department. Since projects are almost never completed within one employee's shift, you need to leave detailed notes and explain everything in depth before you leave. It's common for someone to be so tired at the end of their shift that they give poor or incorrect instructions. Because of this, as well as the complex nature of many of the orders we accept, we have to be "on-call", ready to answer any questions from whoever is working in the center. I'm not sure if I've ever worked a shift where I didn't need to call a coworker, or have a day off when I didn't get a call myself.

There are a few drawbacks to working as a cashier or salesperson as well. As for cashiering, you will likely spend most of your time just standing around, and working on the sales floor in such a slow store can be monotonous. In any position, your success is measured largely by customer satisfaction surveys that are at the bottom of every receipt. Employees are encouraged to ask for a 5/5 and for their name to be mentioned in the survey. These are used to evaluate the success of the store as a whole, and if you don't contribute your fair share of positive name mentions, you're likely considered a lackluster employee. If you work in the copy center, you are pretty much guaranteed bad surveys with your name mentioned.

Although they will work around your schedule if need be, I would not suggest working here (especially the copy center) if you're currently attending school, or have any other obligations. It's a great place to work if you can dedicate all your time and energy to it.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave two people work in the copy center at once. Pretty much every complaint I have about this department can be resolved with a little extra help. Makes more sense than paying three or four people to stroll around the store doing nothing.

Better compensation for the jobs that require more skill.

It's alright I guess for a side job

Cashier (Former Employee) Columbia, SC

ProsFlexible hours
    Not really difficult so idea for someone who does not want a mentally taxing job
    Great while in school

ConsDon't expect to climb the office depot ladder, while I'm sure they have opportunities it seemed like the store supervisors were washed up or in between better jobs

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise the pay for store management to attract more qualified applicants

This organization needs a union and not for the hourly but for the management

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Boca Raton, FL

ProsGood experience if you want to only stay for a few years

ConsThey tell you ...that a union isn't important however, when they want to terminate you ..you need someone on your side. The Police have an advisor to assist you ...OD needs this for middle management. The time is now to start an organization ..a lot would join

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat the middle management like valued employee's

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great sales organization, corporate a mess

Sales Support (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people in the field in sales organization - well trained and professional. Fun atmosphere

ConsCorporate does not know what happens in the field in the "real world". Really out of touch now with the merger and new CEO.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time with BSD in the field - seek ideas and advice from them. You have some really great sales staff working for you.

Good opportunity to learn and grow in sales

District Manager (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGood Co workers, fair pay rate

ConsPoor leadership, poor decision making

Advice to Senior ManagementThink of the future of the company, not your pocket book

Easy resume experience.

Technology Sales Specialist (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsWorking for the tech deportment is very simply and enjoyable if you like tech. You get some experience fixing computers and tend to learn about some tech you otherwise might have not been interested in. Very easy to work in, as long as you do your job and communicate you should be able to enjoy the work.

ConsThey want you to get an insane amount of PPP's (Warranties). They require too much useless communication over the radio.

Advice to Senior ManagementFear will not get more PPP's, rewards for getting them will. If a customer doesn't want help, there is no need to call that out over the radio.

Good work environment part time. Corporate is terrible

Customer Service Specialist - II (Former Employee)

ProsFun, easy going, and lots of training when fully staffed. Everyone is very supportive and during down time training games can be played, and they are kind of fun. Great work experience. Easy to move up. I'm so happy I took the job here.

ConsSince the merger almost all operate people have been let go and this causes a very bad ripple, or tidal wave affect for all the stores that need something from corporate. Policy changes and bonus structure changes really hurt a lot of employees. I'm happy I left shortly after this all started.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers: Keep up the good work. Make sure your employees are happy and they will continue to excel at costumer service and sales.
    Corporate: Find somebody who understands how to be consistent with their remodeling and understands the value of hard working employees being happy and feeling safe in the workplace. Stop throwing curve balls.

Store Manager

Manager (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsIts a job, and no longer requires a drug screening.

ConsStyle is to be Micro-Managed. If customers could hear what is being said over the radios, to get their money, this company wouldn't survive. Corporate office feels and acts as if they are a separate company (zero support), than the store level. Never see or hear from HR managers. Constantly trimming from employees.....salaries, hours, and benefits. Customers are a non-issue, as long as you get their money.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to revisit how to restore morale throughout the company. Breakdown walls between the stores and corporate, as well as outsourced (foreign country) employees. Give some, and stop taking.

Sr. Sales Associate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) South Florida, FL

ProsIf one takes a "glass half full" view to things, then a positive takeaway would be that you gain customer service skills and thicken your skin when berated by customers and treated like peasants by high and mighty managers.

ConsMerely being present in the nonsensical layout of the store, the absurd policies and programs like ICE, the almost unattainable service goals. the outrageous pricing of everything from protection plans (extended warranties) to physical products. Everything is done inefficiently. The inventory management is ridiculous. So often do customers come in on a Sunday (the start of the sale cycle) only to be told that the item they want is unavailable. Even more often is it that an entire district is out of stock of a highly desirable item. The absurd customer tracking program added to the stupidity of working there.

When I was there, I was on-call always. Scheduling was a nightmare. There would almost never be proper zone coverage. What a disaster. The store I worked at would rather have 3-4 managers on duty in the morning (doing next to nothing) and put anyone who didn't have a say to close the store everyday and every weekend. Unfair to say the least.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo corporate management, I suggest you actually spend some time in a retail setting to get a better grasp of daily operations, and to attain more realistic expectations. Hire better merchandisers, and drastically improve inventory management. Good grief, hire someone from Walmart who knows better. Do something if you don't want to fail.

To in-store management, I suggest you get of your high horses, and work the floor like the rest of the associates instead of hiding in the cash office and only coming out to do price overrides and breakdown cash drawers.

Just another retail hell

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proshours were very steady

Consnot a fan of their values, didn't feel appreciated, classic retail hell.

Worked for Office Depot? Contribute to the Community!