Office Depot Reviews

2.9
1,732 Reviews
Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith
Roland C. Smith

Pros
  • Company is well focus to create customer service as their number goal (in 67 reviews)

• Flexible Schedule - Basically get to create you own schedule (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is not concerned with anyone developing their career (in 71 reviews)

• Minimum wage employees are hard to get great results like the company wants (in 66 reviews)

1. Office depot

Former Employee - Copy and Print Specialist in Encinitas, CA
    Former Employee - Copy and Print Specialist in Encinitas, CA

I worked at Office Depot

Pros

Good job for full time students, will work around your schedule

Cons

I had no bad experience while working with this company

Advice to Management

N/A

2. 30 years in one job

Former Employee - Applications Systems Analyst in Signal Hill, CA
    Former Employee - Applications Systems Analyst in Signal Hill, CA

I worked at Office Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits. Nice warehouse environment Management for the most part very professional. Good location close to 405 freeway

Cons

Not all managers manage consistently in the same manner. No concern for length of service with the company. Corporate too far away in Florida and does not relate to the difference between working retail and warehouse.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to pay more attention to consistent application of Office Depot policies. Treat associates especially those with long service with more respect.

3. Great co-workers

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Harwood Heights, IL
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Harwood Heights, IL

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment. Co-workers are great. Customer service is really stressed and multitasking is a must.

Cons

Not enough hours, even for a part-time job.

Advice to Management

Provide more hours, especially to those who work hard.

5. Great part time job

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in Conway, AR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in Conway, AR

I worked at Office Depot

Pros

I worked here for two years during college. Your own personal attitude will make the difference of loving or hating the job. I had a great team of managers, with the main boss being awesome about working with your schedule and setting a good example. Upon leaving they even bought me a custom cake and gave me a Visa gift card. I still use skills learned here at my current job.

Cons

Back to school season is pretty nuts, customers and their kids trash the store unapologetically. Working holidays and weekends isn't the greatest but I was always allowed off for any day that I requested at least two weeks ahead of time.

Advice to Management

Cull those who aren't adding to a positive synergy of the team

6. Finance Director

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carol Stream, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carol Stream, IL

I worked at Office Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Big Company in South Florida, just merged with a competitor.

Cons

Currently In the process of being acquired by another competitor. Will move HQ to Boston.

7. Turnstile Company; Under Appreciated and Poorly Paid

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- A Job
    - Relaxed Atmosphere most of the year
    - Simple Tasks
    - Somewhat Flexible Schedule.
    - Straight-Forward Training

Cons

- Amount of does not equate to pay
    - No direction; since you must work every where you cannot become a total expert in one area
    - Long days with few breaks(buy your cashiers stools like the rest of the civilized world!)
    - Pressure to sell protection plans rather than sell products that truly help the customer
    - Told you under performed if you do not get every attachment.
    - Forced to see customers as a sale rather than a a person
    - A lot of talk about customer first, but the charts in the back prove that it's only talk
    - Moving up is just going to management where you're worked to the bone for little more than you make as an associate.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your sales associates. We make your money and without us you lose money. If you care about our well-being do more than offer health insurance and flu shots. Have a stool placed behind a register to allow for the cashier to sit when not checking out, stocking, etc. It would make our days better and help improve our health. Otherwise, you are leading us down a long path to poor spinal health.

Pay attention to your store managers more. They act as if they're CEOs and think we, including department managers, are nothing more than numbers to put on a schedule and make a sale. If that's all we are we will never work to our full potential. I personally don't care about my store due to my manager's attitude since I started there. Want to change my attitude? Make more of an effort than a training program.

Four stores in one area with the largest being the most under staffed is a very poor example of a "growing" company. But your excuse is it's not making enough money. Sorry, that doesn't work if you care about a store having good customer service and high sales. Rethink your poorly thought-out policies. Get with the reality of how sales and companies work this century. What happens if Staples doesn't buy Office Depot out due to the FTC?

Copy & Print Specialist

Current Employee - CPD Specialist in Pearland, TX
    Current Employee - CPD Specialist in Pearland, TX

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy interview, flexible work schedules, many locations to work (including Office Max Stores), employee discount, negotiable pay and commission on protection plans and services sold.

Cons

The Office Max merge & possible buy out by Staples is confusing for customers and employees. Registers and store equipment are old and should be replaced but corporate will not approve, some of management is either too intimidating, too nice or too lazy.

Advice to Management

Management is too caught up in customer service. I'm told that I can and cannot do or say certain things with customers but anytime an issue arises like a bin label error I am forced to override 20-40 dollars and sometimes more off transactions just too "take care of the customer". They enforce mobile transactions on copy and print employees when we don't have time, and are very strict on handing out computer health check info business cards.

9. Not a terrible part time job

Former Employee - Technology Sales/Supply Sales/Design, Print, and Ship Work
    Former Employee - Technology Sales/Supply Sales/Design, Print, and Ship Work

I worked at Office Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible working hours, easy-going staff, nice environment. Overall, a pretty easy job that can be mastered quickly.

Cons

Minimal pay, regular retail frustrations, corporate red tape. Some of the regional personnel are out of touch with in-store operations, and hold unrealistic expectations.

Advice to Management

Revise regional management strategies to better incorporate realistic expectations from each individual store.

10. Technology Associate (No difference)

I have been working at Office Depot part-time

Pros

The people I work with are cool

The job really isn't that hard, however you get stressed out from everyone coming in asking you to run all over the place

The people really aren't pushy

Cons

Pay is awful. Always minimum wage unless you've been there for more than a year.

Advice to Management

Pay your associates more and maybe they wouldn't go looking for other jobs.

11. Rewarding

Former Employee - Instructional Design Contractor in Pompano Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Instructional Design Contractor in Pompano Beach, FL

I worked at Office Depot (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mutual respect among different teams and within the same team.

Cons

I cannot think of anything negative to say about my experience at Office Depot.

Advice to Management

Don't sell.