Office Depot Reviews

2.9
1,675 Reviews
Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith
Roland C. Smith

Pros
  • Company is well focus to create customer service as their number goal (in 67 reviews)

• Flexible Schedule - Basically get to create you own schedule (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is not concerned with anyone developing their career (in 71 reviews)

• Minimum wage employees are hard to get great results like the company wants (in 66 reviews)

1. Ops supervisor

I have been working at Office Depot

Pros

Great Work environment, with great people who work well together .
    Very flexible with shifts and or school schedules.

Cons

Benefits could be a lot better. Back to School is very overwhelming!

It depends on the person, I've worked with some great managers and I have also worked with some bad ones. You will be pressured to make sales every week. luckily for me I was in the Logistic side of things and had no goals for me each month.

2. great place to work

Former Employee - Warehouse Lead in Elkridge, MD
    Former Employee - Warehouse Lead in Elkridge, MD

I worked at Office Depot full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

the people i worked with

Cons

shut down location due to merger with office depot

3. great experience

Current Employee - Developer in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Developer in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

they pay is fair and treatment is with respect. you get to have benefits like medical insurance including dental with a low deduction from your pay check. Co workers are nice in general

Balanced life is very good. you get time for personal life and work life.

I also got a promotion after the first year of working for the company and human resource employees are always helpful

I personally am very thankful to work here

Cons

no cons. it is a great company to work for. unfortunately the company is probably be bought by staples by the end of the year and right now future is uncertain

right now nobody knows what the future will be for the company. That is the only reason I wouldn't recommend applying for a job.

Staples says that if the buy goes through the headquarters are moving to Massachussets and there will be a presence in Boca, but nobody knows for how long and the size of that presence

no advice. merger iis going to be difficult for everybody

OfficeMax was great - until merger with Office Depot. Customers end up losing out.

Current Employee - Customer Service in Bristol, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Bristol, VA

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people you work with everyday. Pay and time off. Good support within the center.

Cons

Losing our jobs as they are sending the work overseas.

Mngmt was great here & support you to the best of their ability.

6. Merger Pains

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good People Professional Customer Base

Cons

Many issues related to merger and potential Staples buyout

get the replenishment system fixed. Get back to the basics.

7. Typical retail job, nothing fancy.

Former Employee - CSS-1 in Racine, WI
    Former Employee - CSS-1 in Racine, WI

I worked at Office Depot part-time (more than a year)

Pros

* Good while going to school, flexible hours
    * Friendly management for the most part

Cons

* Poor compensation to employees
    * Poor higher level management
    * Long hours for minimal wage and no overtime

Offer better compensation and benefits to employees.

8. Customer Focused Company

I have been working at Office Depot

Pros

Ability to go above and beyond for customers

Cons

No overtime
    Value customer surveys over sales

9. competitive company that is fast paced

Current Employee - Senior Category Manager in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Category Manager in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

fast paced environment that challenges you everyday. you will learn a lot in this company and makes you stronger and more confident

Cons

Compensation has gone backwards with this company. certain managers do not believe in work life balance and can be demeaning. Flawless execution strategy that forgets to celebrate any win

need to celebrate wins and not make everything so negative. Work life balance is needed especially since regrading certain jobs and claiming less responsibility but asking for more from associates.

10. Decent part time sales job for someone who doesn't have to worry about paying bills

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in La Vista, NE
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in La Vista, NE

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Good management
    -Good coworkers and teamwork
    -Get to sell technology or things that I like (computers, tablets, printers, laptops etc)
    -Get to learn about a lot of different retail items
    -Relatively clean environment, nicer than manufacturing or fast food environments
    -Social job

Cons

-Very low pay...bearly above minimum wage
    -5% Commission....but only on tech services and ppp's which is a small percentage of a small pool of money. Negligible benefit. Not a good enough incentive to sell them on the employee end.
    -Training is mainly learning on the job. Have to go through something the hard way numerous times until it finally sinks in. Takes a long time to get to a high level of execution that management is expecting. I'm 2 months in and im still not 100% proficient with everything yet just because there are so many little different things to memorize like where a specific item is in the store or how to get a check to clear through the bank if a customer tries to pay with a check that's like $1000 or more.
    -Cash Register systems are intuitive which is good but making a sale at the register is tedious and time consuming. the problems are things must be done in a very specific way or order, otherwise you have to start all over again and rescan all the items. They are getting really old, slow and they can act up at times which can frustrate customers at the point of sale. Customers get backed up a lot at the registers because it takes so long to check them out.
    -Tedious and sometimes exhausting processes or scenarios, especially in Copy & Print. Takes so long to get something done that the time tables don't match for customers and employees. Copy & Print gets backed up easily. Technology sales take a lot of talk time to be successful. In general a lot of work per customer.
    -Store is understaffed so things get hectic during peak business times.
    -Inconsistent work schedule. Can't plan anything ahead of time outside work because it might collide with my schedule for that week.
    -Paid breaks are minimal, have to ask for them. Management does not manage this.

Well you're doing the best you can do but there are few things I'd like to suggest: 1) Increase pay 2) Hire more employees so store is not understaffed 3) Give more comprehensive training besides watching 4-8 hours worth of videos the first 2 days on the job and 4) Upgrade company store computers so they can handle today's demands

11. Would be better if they adhered to one business model and stuck with it long enough to gain traction...

Current Employee - Store Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Office Depot

Pros

Great growth opportunities, customer demographic, pay is good, and work environment.

Cons

Inconsistent expectations across the board, lack of in-depth training on new initiatives, high turnover, overly complicated and complex business models.

Simplify and cohere to one business model. The associates at the store level can see the panicking when everything you release is overly complicated and is evident that you're trying to hard to keep the company afloat.