Office Depot Reviews

2.8
1,459 Reviews

Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith
Roland C. Smith

Pros
  • Positive attitudes and customer service create an upbeat work environment (in 64 reviews)

• Flexible Schedule - Basically get to create you own schedule (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is not concerned with anyone developing their career (in 71 reviews)

• Minimum wage employees are hard to get great results like the company wants (in 67 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun place to work

Current Employee - Technical Lead in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Office Depot as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

All-in-all, my team, which is the mobile team is by far the most exciting team I have ever worked with.

Cons

Jobs have their own down sides. Some times I get very busy and over burden myself.

Keep it up

It was an okay job if you worked "full-time."

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Garland, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Garland, TX

I worked at Office Depot part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a fairly simple and easy job. Great coworkers, great managers and very cooperative and flexible to your needs.

Cons

Very routine day to day job. Same thing different day. Corporate is very cheap. Under payed work. No more than 30 hours a week. Incredibly hard to get a raise.

Great place to work

I worked at Office Depot

Pros

Good customer service skills training and overall good experience for further retail Jobs. Good in stock pushes and seasonal training

Cons

Payroll is limited year round. Constantly changing focuses and directions lead to an eleven experience from store to Store

Increase payroll

Good Enviroment, Friendly Management

Former Employee - Tech Associate in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Tech Associate in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Office Depot full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Customers, Commision and Base Pay, Good Hours

Cons

Can get hectic, you have to know how to do everything in the store at any given moment

Communicate

I loved working for Office Depot.

Former Employee - Department Manager in Waxahachie, TX
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Waxahachie, TX

I worked at Office Depot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast advancement, good hours, good pay. I enjoyed the people I worked with. Fun, friendly atmosphere. I had fun at work most days

Cons

Always changing policies, hard to keep up with all the changes sometimes. There isn't usually enough staffing and cross training for the CPD

Listen to your employees. They're the ones working on the front lines every day and they just may know another way to do things that will make business run more smoothly.

Assistant Store Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Office Depot full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to work with great opportunity for advancement. Great company to learn all aspects of retail and customer service.

Cons

Compensation is not as good as other retail chains with long hours. Minimum wage employees are hard to get great results the company wants/

Department Manager

Current Employee - Department Manager
    Current Employee - Department Manager

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good people, relaxed environment. It is not very difficult to promote if you are a hard worker. There is some opportunity for commission.

Cons

Schedule is the worst part of any retail job, and the same applies here. Don't expect to have a lot of holidays off especially during Thanksgiving, and Christmas. Working with public can be challenging at times, and corporate puts a high priority on customer satisfaction, so if your not a people person this is not the place for you.

Don't expect raises

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Hamilton, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Hamilton, OH

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice people, good management and the day goes by pretty quickly.

Cons

I work in the tech department and I think it's a rip off to pay someone $8/Hr to be extremely knowledgeable about computers and how to fix them. We always have a help wanted sign out for more techs. They seem to be always turned down by the pay. Sure you get commission, but it's 5% on certain things. Which is a ripoff if you ask me. If you want raises, look somewhere else, one of my friends that used to work there started at $8. And three years later was at $8.13. I rest my case.

Treat your employees how you would want to be treated. I know you don't want to work on thanksgiving, and we don't either! You can get a job at a place that fixes computers full time and make $16/Hr. No wonder the help wanted sign is out so long.

Good concept, execution not always up to par

Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was a very customer driven and fun environment. It was an easy job because the bar wasn't set very high.

Cons

Short staffed and too focused on the smaller picture. I didn't find it as a good place to move up and grow but it was a good resume builder.

Constantly rising expectations everyday that will continually challenge you. A great way to develop yourself.

Former Employee - Lead Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Lead Sales Consultant

I worked at Office Depot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Its easy to surround yourself with a team of associates that you enjoy working with.

Good opportunity to advance yourself if you're looking to be a manager, the training for any position is always readily available to all associates if they want it.

Pushes you to increase your multi-tasking ability through radio communication and alertness on the sales floor.

When company standards are executed correctly this creates a very clean, organized, fun, and impressive work environment; one to be proud of.

Seeing the newest technology roll through the store is always exciting

Cons

Part-time positions went from providing a livable amount of hours (32 on average) to barely acceptable by today's standards. 16-24 hours a week is not enough. Good employees quickly seek 2nd jobs just to get by and may even switch entirely.

Turn over is ridiculously high due to the high expectations crossed with cutting the hours. In a committed store, you'll see associates that are literally sprinting from one end of the building to the other just to get all their responsibilities done. Good exercise, but they quickly get burned out.

The company as a whole is beginning to lose revenue and is on the road for closing stores, this creates a "Fight for you life" approach to your shifts everyday. If you screw up too many times, you can get threatened with your job (write-ups). Creating an illusion of very little job stability that can cause much anxiety with any employee.

If you're looking for a career opportunity in Office Depot beyond sales that doesn't deal with management, it would be better to look elsewhere, that is all they offer here.

STOP cutting payroll. It's getting ridiculous. You can't expect to see the same quality of customer service / store cleanliness / organization after you reduce how many hours are going out to your employees. The ISCE system, while commendable for requiring customers to be treated the way they should be treated, gets a little over the top when it has your store team members recommending attachments just for the increased sale revenue. The customers can SEE this (and may even laugh at the associates attempt).