Office Depot Reviews

Reset
2.9
Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith
Roland C. Smith

Pros
  • The customer service oriented approach they have to selling works once you get the hang of it but it can be difficult at first (in 67 reviews)

• You can negotiate a flexible schedule (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is not concerned with anyone developing their career (in 71 reviews)

• Minimum wage employees are hard to get great results the company wants/ (in 66 reviews)

1,984 Employee Reviews

1. OD Reviews

Pros

Great for working scheduled, good first job experience

Cons

Low pay rate, bad management

Advice to Management

Setting team goal as a whole, create more team meeting

2. Company comments

I worked at Office Depot full-time

Pros

Good company to work for/

Cons

Unstable due to economy, lay offs

3. Office

I worked at Office Depot full-time

Pros

great people, free coffee, casual dress. You don't have to wear steel toe shoes in the warehouse.

Cons

lack of communication, a lot of confusion and low morale due to the merger with OfficeMax

Advice to Management

work towards creating a team atmosphere, communicate all changes correctly and in a timely manner, especially if it effects workers

5. in a nutshell

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

great starting place to acquire entry level market skills

Cons

High expectation with minimal compensation

6. Office Depot copy center

Current Employee - Copy & Print Center Manager in Gray, TN
    Current Employee - Copy & Print Center Manager in Gray, TN

I have been working at Office Depot (Less than a year)

Pros

Store management generally works well on store levels. Good team environment. Decent discount but customers can get better discounts.

Cons

Payroll is an issue more times than not if you are part time. You must cross department s if you want more hours. Sometimes too much paperwork and procedures instead of doing print jobs.

Advice to Management

Add more payroll or don't expect any extras over depot time. Thanksgiving is not a day we should be open.

7. Technology sales Specialist

Pros

Pretty flexible environment, worked for a part-time job while in school.

Cons

My store had management constantly changing, which led to disagreements and confusion among employees.

Advice to Management

Training program really needs improvement.

8. Well...it's retail.

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you get full-time status, you do get some really good benefits, such as: reasonably-priced health/dental/vision insurance, 401(K) plan with 2% full company match (must be with the company for 3 years in order for the matched contributions to vest), free health screening each year (which confers a yearly discount on the health insurance), and some discounts at other websites and even a small discount at the Apple store. A lot of the people are really nice to work with, and many of the customers (at my location) are repeat, regular shoppers who are also very nice to work with. Schedules for associates are done weekly (rather than 2 weeks at a time), which gives you a bit more flexibility in asking for time off if you need it the following week. After acquiring OfficeMax, we gained a PTO bank (paid time off), which is given to you at the beginning of the year (rather than having to accrue it during the year), and lets you use it for any reason - personal day, vacation or sick time. (Previously we had separate banks for personal time, sick days and vacation time.)

Cons

Unless you're in a management position, don't expect either a great salary or great raises. It's retail - you're going to have the occasional rude/disgruntled/problem customer, so be prepared for it. Higher than average turnover rate. I've been with the company a fairly long time, and I've seen many people (at all levels) come and go. They've recently started a new program that many of us who have been there for awhile feel is doubling our workload, and upper management (above store level) is adamant about it being done.

Advice to Management

I really have few, if any problems with management at our store. Everyone is very nice, hard-working, and we have a good leader in our store manager.

9. yeah

Pros

Good job for entry level position.

Cons

Long hours of standing. Okay.

Great People, Terrible Corporate

Former Employee - CSS II, Copy Center
    Former Employee - CSS II, Copy Center

I worked at Office Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people were great to work with, but corporate has no idea what it's like on the ground floor. Their rules and regulations often get in the way of a location's productivity, leading to frustration and friction amongst the staff.

Cons

I was classified as 'Part-Time' but 8 out of 10 weeks was working 39 hours. This was great since I needed the money, but I guess not everyone would be okay with that. When I was there the tech was outdated. Whenever a check wouldn't process I had to call up a special line and give a bunch of secret codes. This wouldn't have been so bad, except there's really only one cashier at any given moment if it isn't peak hours.

Advice to Management

Senior Management: There are locations in your network which easily out do every location in their area, but live in fear of corporate showing up. Word to the wise: if someone is minting you gold, don't complain it's not platinum.

11. Office Depot review

Pros

Office Depot is willing to work with your schedule and time off that you may need. Accumulating vacation hrs. Assistant Mgr. Punch the clock got paid time & half

Cons

Medical insurance was not the best It hurt when you had to cut payroll the store could be very empty at times

Advice to Management

Open up to employee so that they know exactly what is needed of them. Train the staff better don't just throw them in a department

Showing 1,984 of 2,004 reviews