Office Depot

2.8
1,417 Reviews

Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith
Roland C. Smith

Pros
  • Positive attitudes and customer service create an upbeat work environment (in 63 reviews)

• Work/life balance is heavily weighted towards life; working from home readily accepted (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is not concerned with anyone developing their career (in 67 reviews)

• Minimum wage employees are hard to get great results like the company wants (in 65 reviews)

More Highlights

My store manager was very motivated to make sales and constantly encouraged us to upsale and try to become better salesmen

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Office Depot part-time for less than a year

Pros

Very laidback and relaxed environment, good temporary job or student job

Cons

You're just another employee to the office depot franchise.

Decent workplace because of the people, not the company.

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I

I worked at Office Depot part-time for more than a year

Pros

My coworkers and managers were great. By talking to my managers, I negotiated schedules that allowed me to complete my work as a full-time college student while working at Office Depot part-time.

Cons

The company outlook was always bleak and there was frequent concern regarding the future of our store.

The company is a good one, and they have a good client base.

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist I  in  Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Office Depot part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Since I am not employed in the healthcare field currently, I find the work at Office Depot rewarding, as I have worked in Healthcare management for many years, and I bought most of my administrative products from them. However, it's very hard to support my wife and I by earning minimum wage, working less then 40 hours per week.

Cons

Lots of evening shifts, and minimum wages barely provides the income to support us. If there had been a management position available when I joined the company, it would have been a better situation. It is a part time position until I get back into a Healthcare Management position, as I have managed physician groups as large as 36 physicians, in six different states.

The Management at our store, 2209 is OK, but the overall manager is not the best. The assistant managers are very good, and are nice to work with.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was ok....

I have been working at Office Depot for less than a year

Pros

Flexible, fun to work at...

Cons

No room for advancement,compensation, time off policies.

Care more for your hard working employees

Technology Sales and Services

Current Employee - Tech Associate  in  Independence, MO
    Current Employee - Tech Associate in Independence, MO

I have been working at Office Depot part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good experience to start with if you have little to no IT experience. (Not my case)
    Friendly people, all very customer oriented. Hours are great if you are a college student looking for ONLY part time.

Cons

After the Max and Depot Merger, commission for Techs on services has been cut in half, the new CEO and some DMs are pretty big jerks. Training is little to none if you work in tech, you're going to have to learn how to diagnose and repair machines almost all on your own.

The stores are for the most part nice, my store in independence has been great to me, however upper management and corporate need to consider and care for their employees.

6 years in at Office Depot

Current Employee - Department Manager
    Current Employee - Department Manager

I have been working at Office Depot full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Management takes their job seriously and Office Depot puts effort into moving their managers careers along.

Cons

High turn over with hourly associates. Most are college students just waiting to move on.

Incredible time spent here in this fun, results-driven, progressive sales environment.

Current Employee - Senior Sales Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Office Depot full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Company values are solid and non-negotiable. Merger is going much smoother than anticipated with synergies already being realized. Opportunities are always available for innovative, hard working employees.

Cons

Although it has improved greatly during my tenure, our advertising and brand recognition continue to come in second place to our largest competitor.

An company that has offered opportunities to advance.

Current Employee - Operations Manager  in  Inglewood, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Inglewood, CA

I have been working at Office Depot full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Opportunities to learn galore. Good management that has worked with scheduling for education. Am not limited to one area of sales.

Cons

Hard to hire reliable people

Excellent place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Office Depot full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good, solid co-workers. My goals have always been clear, but that might be cause of who I report too. Others mileage may vary due to their "boss".

Cons

Not many, typical corporate complaints, politics, etc, but you get that everywhere, HQ or retail.

Treat your employees well and allow them to soar. Not every new employees should have to hop to another company to get a pay raise.

I worked for about a year at the company as a cashier, moving up to head cashier within a month along with tech support.

Former Employee - Head Cashier/Tech Support  in  Coon Rapids, MN
    Former Employee - Head Cashier/Tech Support in Coon Rapids, MN

I worked at Office Depot part-time for more than a year

Pros

Managers were willing to negotiate pay and hours easily, relaxed environment.

Cons

Assumed to know everything about store management/employee procedures, weird company policies that may/may not defy common sense and logic.

All of the managers I had were friendly and nice, the only thing I would suggest they pay attention to would be to make sure employees are kept knowledgeable with current company policies.

Worked for Office Depot? Contribute to the Community!