Office Depot Reviews

Reset
2.9
Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith
Roland C. Smith

Pros
  • The customer service oriented approach they have to selling works once you get the hang of it but it can be difficult at first (in 67 reviews)

• You can negotiate a flexible schedule (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is not concerned with anyone developing their career (in 71 reviews)

• Minimum wage employees are hard to get great results the company wants/ (in 66 reviews)

1,915 Employee Reviews

1. Overall great experience

Former Employee - Training Store Manager in Reading, PA
    Former Employee - Training Store Manager in Reading, PA

I worked at Office Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Overall good experience working their with good Managment. Good benefits, good people, kept updated on the technology. Good internal promotion opportunities.

Cons

They do not have a good mid year appraisal process to see where you rank mid year, they do a final year review. Took away great benefits towards the end of my career.

Advice to Management

Once you get into the management program you have room for growth and opportunities.

2. More Cons than Pros

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, opportunity for advancement, on the job training.

Cons

Poor team work, under staffed, low pay raises with salary caps, under qualified store managers, work on religious and national holidays ie. Easter and Thanksgiving with upper management having no respect for religious days. No security for store employee protection. Poor medical insurance benefits with very high out of pocket expenses.

Advice to Management

Negotiate a high salary to start with as pay raises are low. Be a team leader not a follower. Do your home work on your store and district manager. Some are better then others.

3. Operations Manager

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Arlington, TX

I worked at Office Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture and diverse staff.

Cons

Unsure future due to merger with Staples after recent acquisition of OMAX.

Advice to Management

Too quickly advertised that the CEO took such a large sum of money to give up the firm.

5. Great Entry level customer service, Bad place to stay

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Torrance, CA

I worked at Office Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gain great experience in customer service Very nice people Very good sales training Lots of vacation time Good work/life balance

Cons

No paid holiday Minimum wage always Almost impossible to move up Hardly any raises Weekly hours go up and down with the season

Advice to Management

Train your associates to be self-sufficient. Help them grow within the company and provide more opportunity. Show appreciation for your employees.

6. Pros & Cons of a Copy Print associate at Office Depot

I worked at Office Depot

Pros

At Office Depot (Office Max) they have everyone wear an earpiece to communicate across the floor to other associates. This was quite useful.

Cons

Copy Print associates have to know how to run the printers and much more, however, they get paid the same as a regular associate that runs a register. Would not pay more than $10 per hour.

Advice to Management

Do not limit the amount of a raise an employee is eligible for.

7. Coworkers great, customers bad.

Current Employee - Technology Sales Specialist in Huntsville, TX
    Current Employee - Technology Sales Specialist in Huntsville, TX

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've worked at the OD for nearly a year as a tech sales specialist. My coworkers are fantastic and I feel like I'm getting valuable skills by working here.

Cons

The customers are mostly elderly and can be very rude and irritating, although you will find an equal number of nice people. Management can sometimes be a little too pushy over insignificant things. The company is very much numbers driven.

Advice to Management

Don't take rough sales days out on the employees. If it's a slow day, it's a slow day. There's nothing that can really be done about it.

8. Quick Review

Current Employee - FLORIDA in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - FLORIDA in Miami, FL

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Office Depot has some very well thought out training programs and also you to grow with the company. You can easily start from from cashier and work your way up the ranks and across channels.

Cons

The company is not very competitive with salary or starting pay for non salary employees. The annual reviews matrices change constantly or are delivered mid year which makes it difficult to reach goals.

9. Time

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I have been working at Office Depot (More than a year)

Pros

working with people and meeting different people.

Cons

no hours, working two to three days a week

10. Director

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Executive backing in changing atmosphere and facing possible merger. Willing to provide needed resources to get the job done.

Cons

Tough work life balance as multiple priorities cause excessive work demands and has led to multiple people leaving the company.

Advice to Management

Analyze the initiatives and narrow them down to a manageable number. Senior executives need to be more visible and try to reach out to everyday workers.

11. ying yang

Current Employee - Technology Sales Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Technology Sales Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Office Depot

Pros

Great employees and managers, all very friendly and helpful. ..managers actually helping out on the floor rather then sitting in the office all day long

Cons

Office depot has its ups and downs...I was hired as a tech but not told that actually I would be a sales consultent 10 years of tech experience they started me with minimum wage and tought me the ropes....those ropes being we connect all of our computers to some unkown remote location to repair, and they cant do it we have to ship out to a central repair center that will take over a month with no guerentee. ..so yea the company itself is typical corporate bs...but this office depot I work at has awsome staff and management. ..just corporate rules im no fan of.

Advice to Management

Let techs be techs give us a in store tech center with propper tools and a big area...also (not mentioned above) get rid of stupid corporate scripts you think work...in reality those following scripts scare away customers and those telling you they follow them but not actually doing it is where your sales are really coming from "what brings you to office depot today" forget that BS as a customer I dont want to hear fakeness and its obious. ..no tech bench...tech center...tech name tags...no scripts...and you will get millions back!

Showing 1,915 of 1,934 reviews