Office Depot

2.8
1,578 Reviews

Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith
Roland C. Smith

Pros
  • Company is well focus to create customer service as their number goal (in 67 reviews)

• Flexible Schedule - Basically get to create you own schedule (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is not concerned with anyone developing their career (in 71 reviews)

• Minimum wage employees are hard to get great results like the company wants (in 66 reviews)

More Highlights

Ok company

Current Employee - Tech Specialist in West Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Tech Specialist in West Hartford, CT

I have been working at Office Depot

Pros

Good starter
    Flexible hours
    Learn a lot

Cons

No career progression
    Horrible pay rate

Get better staff

Great place to work

Current Employee - Store Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment to work in.

Cons

Micro managed by district management

a headache for minimum wage

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wheaton, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wheaton, IL

I worked at Office Depot

Pros

Its a job. It wasn't my dream job, but it was a paycheck. For the most part everyone works as a team and really enjoy each other.

Cons

If you aren't apart of the cool kids club they typically ignore you while you need help. Most of the normal employees do not like to interact with the seasonal employees. Minimum wage for a daily headache. If you have a family trip planned from before you work there, you may not be able to go based on what they feel is necessary.

If someone gets sick don't make them feel worse when they come back to work.

Ok for a while

Current Employee - Sales and Service Manager in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Sales and Service Manager in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (more than a year)

Pros

good work life balance, steady schedule and pay, good training

Cons

Rude customers, constant change coming from the insecure management team. Penalize top performers with reduced bonus structure.

Reward your top performers

While the working environment was enjoyable, little chance for a raise makes this a poor job for anyone Post High-School

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Office Depot part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back work environment, and relatively simple job requirements. The tasks required were simple and there is enough to keep you fairly busy on any given day.

Cons

The pay would be good for a High School student but anyone beyond that will find it hard to pay bills with the low wage offered and very little room for upward movement.

Increase your compensation to loyal employees if you find they are irreplaceable.

Good company for the most part

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Office Depot full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good salary, good manager. Company was overall a good employer with the exception of how bonus payouts we're tracked and handled.

Cons

Bonuses were often changed so final payouts were sometimes a mess.

Merger seemed to have issues al many levels. Changed culture of company into a new company.

Same as other Fortune 500 companies

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great location, great weather. Team work is strong, colleagues are generally nice. Still digesting merger of Depot and Max. Culture is okay. Company direction not clear.

Cons

Some uncertainty because of possibility of another merger with Staples. The company's revenue is in decline, so morale is not very high.

Management should be more transparent about business results and have more frequent town halls.

I have learned a lot from my time with Office Depot.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people I work with

Cons

Retail is very draining and can be stressful at times

Be sure the stores have enough staff on hand to complete daily functions.

Good people, management made you feel a little uncomfortable

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Office Depot

Pros

Flexible scheduling, good hours, low stress, management did a good job at making you feel like you were important to the company

Cons

I couldn't really get behind some of the products we tried to sell people. They tried to make us push product protection plans that were basically a scam.

Staff enough people during busy times

I think my location may be an anomaly

Current Employee - Copy & Print Center Associate in Kirkwood, MO
    Current Employee - Copy & Print Center Associate in Kirkwood, MO

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The particular location I work at is fantastic! I just wanted a part-time get out of the house job that I'd enjoy and earn a little bit in the process. I work from home part-time and was getting bored plus could use some extra income, so applied for a CPD position. My starting pay was above minimum wage, which I wasn't expecting, but I do have graphic design skills which may have played a role.

My location has AMAZING store management. They are fun, work hard out on the floor, helpful, understanding, and flexible. They understand that your family comes first. They are always bringing in donuts, pizza, milkshakes and other goodies. We play fun sales card games with prizes like scratch-off lotto tickets, free lunch, etc. My co-workers are great to be around and are very productive. We are known in the area for being friendly and helpful to the point where customers go out of their way to shop at our location. Crabby customers are fairly few and far between because we take their concerns seriously and do our best to resolve issues. It's a true team environment where everyone is willing and able to assist each other because management makes sure everyone is able to do the basics in each department.

CPD is fast-paced, challenging, and interesting. There's very little monotony because you never know what kind of job you'll be working on.

Cons

It would be hard to raise a family on the wages from Office Depot, but it's a great non-food job for someone young or wanting additional income.

CPD training can be a bit of a trial by fire because the store stays so busy that time can't be dedicated to it. Outside of the basics there are too many things to be trained on since the jobs are so individualized. You have to learn as you go but pick up on it quickly if you have supportive co-workers.

Well-paid employees make dedicated employees. We work very hard on our feet all day and it would be nice to be given a middle-class wage in return. Personally, I'm fine with my wages but my job is for pocket money and not to raise a family. I'd like to see my fellow associates well-compensated for the incredibly hard work they do!