Office Depot

Updated Jul 21, 2014

2.8 1,332 reviews

Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith

Roland C. Smith

Pros
  • The company is dedicated to customer service, so you definitely learn how to deal with people(in 55 reviews)

• Work/life balance is heavily weighted towards life; working from home readily accepted(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is not concerned with anyone developing their career(in 64 reviews)

• Minimum wage employees are hard to get great results like the company wants(in 63 reviews)

1,332 Employee Reviews

Great Company

Sales Consultant - CPD (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsCustomers are great. Training opportunities.

ConsSome employees were not motivated to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher more mature and enthusiastic people.

Great company to work for!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat job if you are tech savvy, or wish to become tech savvy! Plenty of employee's willing to assist you in learning the ins and outs of computer's and software's. Offers many perks, health and life insurance for full time, as well as offers credit union enrollment. Room for advancement

ConsNot that this is much in the way of a con, must be a people person and customer service be a priority to you.

Only care about getting the extra sale. Not about the customer

Sales and Freight (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsNice and friendly people to work with.

ConsThe main manager would hound me about making the extra sales. I would get add ons but that doesn't mean to them.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf a person isn't doing what you need them to do then figure out where they would be most effect.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company

TDM (Former Employee)

ProsGood People, Good wages, Good benifits, A good effort in regards to a work- life balance.

ConsOver abundance of paperwork, Poor Pricing structure as it pertains to BSD and Retail, Half heartadly jump into value solutions that are not competitve in the market place.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire sales management with field experience instead of those with theoretical experience from school.

A great environment and great diversity. Poor benefits with very few hours and often understaffed due to lack of payroll

Customer Service Specialist I (Former Employee) Madison, MS

ProsFriendly, helpful co-workers. Great diversity of co-workers and customers. Clean, organized environment. Cross-training is supported and encouraged. Many locations for transfers if needed.

ConsThe benefits are poor, insurance is pricey and inadequate. The hours are very lean and unpredictable from week to week.

Good job, bad pay, lots of pressure

Tech Associate (Current Employee)

ProsI love the actual work I do. I get to talk to people, find out what's going on in their lives, and recommend what would work well in their life. Most of the people you meet in this job are friendly. Some are downright fantastic to spend time with, the type of people you'd like to sit down to lunch with. Even excluding those, the vast majority are simply people either in a rush or not willing to express their personal skills.

Something I haven't taken advantage of yet, but you get some great benefits right off the bat. Within a few weeks, I was told I'm allowed to go into a 401K (which, let's be honest, I'm working a job just over minimum wage so obviously I don't care about that right now), there's some minimal upping from government healthcare, and just two weeks in I was told I have a full week of paid vacation per month.

If you need time off, you can take it with enough advance warning. Even if you don't manage to get it off, the people around you are willing to take, give or trade shifts. The weeks I was busy I could give shifts to people. The weeks I was free and just needed money I could get shifts from others to get me just shy of 40 hours (any more than that you're in overtime, and if you're part time they very much frown on that... in fact it's more like a growl).

The employees that stay there more than a month tend to be people you'll like and be able to depend on for help while you're training. Your fellow employees are (almost always) great.

ConsYou are not paid enough for what they are expecting of you. For eight dollars an hour, who on earth would care about the store's monthly sales reports? Yes, I get why the store manager cares. But why should I care? If we sell an extra laptop, but I don't get any sort of commission because I wasn't able to sell the customer on a Product Protection Plan (aka PPP, aka warranty, aka a waste of money in almost all cases), what is it to me?

Of course you're going to get a few awful customers, that's par for the course in any retail job. The big issue with OD is the manager's (I'm sorry, L.O.D.'s) obsession with reaching the numbers. We need to have an 85% satisfaction rating in our customer feedback surveys. This means that getting a 4 out of 5 is actually bad for the company's score, yet you're expected to give feedback cards to every single customer. It's a double edged sword. If you only hand the cards out to customers who you feel will give you a great review (you made a wonderful personal connection, they had a problem that you spent a lot of time on and managed to fix, etc) you get trouble for not handing out enough survey cards. If you hand out survey cards indiscriminately, your name could be attached to a survey that is less than perfect, and you're noted for that as well.

Our store has all these goals: reach X amount in tech sales, reach Y amount in Copy and Print, etc. And there is absolutely no incentive for any employee to help reach those goals. Hell, if you sell a giant product in technology and they don't buy a PPP (Product Protection Plan) you may not even get a commission. And the commissions you do get aren't life changing (this is, of course, assuming you're in tech sales, the only department that actually sells things that make commission. If you're in Copy and Print, no such luck).

Your store WILL be overstaffed for the slow times, and overwhelmingly understaffed for the busy times. There's one manager on duty at all times, VERY RARELY two at the same time. This may not seem like a big deal, but consider the possibilities (all of which I've actually experienced): the technology person is busy with a customer, so the manager is forced to cover the next tech customer. I've been in one of these sales that has lasted nearly two hours, and since customer satisfaction is number one, we can't bail on a sale. So our manager may be indisposed for a long time. We need managers and their codes for such trivial things as returns over a certain price, coupon discounts over a certain amount (even if the coupon is something they have in their hand), any issue a particular customer has, etc.

As far as the social environment goes, maybe this is just the store I work at, but while we're allowed to be nice to each other, if we manage to stand together long enough to strike up a legit conversation, most of the managers will try to break us up to do work that isn't even work, even if there's no reason to move. C'mon, let us have some down time.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is a good job, stop making it so frustrating. When it comes to the cash register, customers should be able to select credit over debit on their own. Cashiers should be able to select whether the receipt is printed or emailed, since 99% of the time we're instructing the customers anyway, so let's save us all some time and hassle. And forget the notification asking if we bought stamps, give us one to ask if we asked for their Depot rewards number. I guarantee you, we forget that far more often.

Stop the pressure on cashiers to do the upsell. Spend an 8-hour day cashiering, then tell me it's still a great idea to push stamps, a ream of paper and printer ink on every single customer. Some people very obviously want to just get the hell out of there, pushing products on them just gives them a negative impression of us as pushy people. NOT EVERYBODY WANTS THE UPSELL! I totally get asking somebody who is buying ink to get paper. Same with a printer. But THEY CAME IN FOR PENS! They don't want a twenty pound ream of paper.

Seriously, every single manager for this company making these policies should spend an entire, eight hour day, working in each of these positions. Spend a full day trying to push reams of paper to people spending 98 cents on a folder, or obviously just trying to get a roll of register paper and get out.

Don't get me wrong, the job itself is awesome. I love what I do. I HATE the way you make me do it.

Office Depot/Max Copy Center Associate

Senior Sales Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsAs far as big box retail goes Office Depot is par for the course. You have the potential to learn a lot skills in the copy center but don't expect much in the way of training. In my store it was trial and error process. One of the best things is the chance to do a lot of networking with local businesses. Full time employees do get paid time off and benefits are 90 days.

ConsChronically understaffed and no incentive to make the sales goals don't make a very happy workplace. They do have a commission plan for selling service plans but if you work in Copy Center then you will have next to no opportunities to sell them. For many customers you regularly go above and beyond the call of duty with no return. If you are doing any kind of design work they need to be paying at least $11 an hour. Most customers don't understand that their projects take time and as an employee you often do not get long stretches of uninterrupted time to work on them. Something that should take 20 minutes often ends up taking 2 hours since you are constantly stopping to help out on the registers or act as customer service desk.

Extreme emphasis on getting perfect online customer surveys. The survey is a 1-5 scale and many of the questions asked are about things that are outside of your control. Getting a 4 on the survey counts the same thing as a 1. Demanding perfection is unreasonable. Pay is low, raises are yearly and are capped at 6%.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees what they are worth and streamline processes. I shouldn't have to jump between two completely different computer programs just order anything. Oh and don't send out newsletters about how the CEO is climbing Mt. Everest while I'm struggling to make ends meet.

Reasonable place to work, with some frustrating issues

Tech Sales/DPS/Supply (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsThe in-store training is pretty effective, the work environment is pretty laid back, and most of my coworkers were friendly.

ConsThere are very few promotions from within the company. Any time another manager was needed, one was hired from outside. There are plenty of stupid policies that all large companies have that you must adhere to. In a matter of two years there, I learned every single role in the store, and mastered them all. I was making a whopping $0.15 per hour more than when I started... I left because of this.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe lower levels in the store are very stagnant. No one gets promoted, no one gets raises. Experienced workers and sales people do great things for the store, but you're losing them all to the fact that, by corporate policy, their raises can't even keep up with inflation. They literally make less money every year.

Fantastic

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsDiversity, competition, fun, customer focused, products, team mates.
    Corporate advocates and resources truly wanted to help stores learn and grow.
    Very supportive corporate team.

ConsAs with any retail company and we all know they are all like this, reducing payroll increasing tasks on middle management.
    Store Managers need a better schedule with everything they do and sacrifice for their OD team.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay focused on your customers, your middle managers and your associates it makes it all worth it and so much fun.

Account Manager

ProsPretty laid back, good location, new building.

ConsComp plan is way behind the times; no quotas until after quarter ends.

Worked for Office Depot? Contribute to the Community!