Office Depot Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith
Roland C. Smith

Pros
  • The customer service oriented approach they have to selling works once you get the hang of it but it can be difficult at first (in 67 reviews)

• You can negotiate a flexible schedule (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is not concerned with anyone developing their career (in 71 reviews)

• Minimum wage employees are hard to get great results the company wants/ (in 66 reviews)

1. Neutral

Former Employee - Sales Associate, Head Cashier in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate, Head Cashier in Dallas, TX

I worked at Office Depot (Less than a year)

Pros

Great for students Flexible schedules Right By SMU Great opportunity to meet people

Cons

none besides we cant take tips and its very pressuring, have to be multi talented to multi task like answer phones while checking out customer sat the same time.

2. Overall great company

Former Employee - Store Associate in South Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Store Associate in South Houston, TX

I worked at Office Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, great environment, communication flowed, decent discount, stable, very understanding managers

Cons

Pressure for surveys, business shoes for a retail job was a bit too much when you're running around a store

Advice to Management

I worked at Office Depot for 8 months. Overall, I enjoyed my time there. As a college student working there, it was great. They were very flexible with my schedule. The only thing that really bothered me was the pressure to get surveys in. I was a part of a smaller store so we'd be ecstatic if we got 10 surveys a week. You can charm your butt off and circle the survey but that does not guarantee they'll do it. They always say they will but most likely, they don't and we always got the backlash.

3. Warehouse Supervisor

Current Employee - Distribution Supervisor in Carlisle, PA
    Current Employee - Distribution Supervisor in Carlisle, PA

I have been working at Office Depot (More than a year)

Pros

Decent Pay, decent benefits, great culture

Cons

Associates run the building not the leadership team, need to promote from within.

Advice to Management

Take a longer look at what is really going on inside the 4 walls.

5. Good Company

Former Employee - Senior Conversion Analyst in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Conversion Analyst in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Office Depot (More than a year)

Pros

This company is always looking to improve and has a lot of hard working good people

Cons

Being bought out by Staples

6. OD

Pros

The people that work for me were great.

Cons

Too many changes , false promises.

7. Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great customer experience, we strive to make every experience memorable.

Cons

Too much pressure to attach warranties and services, becoming a high pressure sales environment.

Advice to Management

Get back to doing what's best for the customer. Customer service is more than selling warranties.

8. Office

I worked at Office Depot full-time

Pros

great people, free coffee, casual dress. You don't have to wear steel toe shoes in the warehouse.

Cons

lack of communication, a lot of confusion and low morale due to the merger with OfficeMax

Advice to Management

work towards creating a team atmosphere, communicate all changes correctly and in a timely manner, especially if it effects workers

9. in a nutshell

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

great starting place to acquire entry level market skills

Cons

High expectation with minimal compensation

10. Technology sales Specialist

Pros

Pretty flexible environment, worked for a part-time job while in school.

Cons

My store had management constantly changing, which led to disagreements and confusion among employees.

Advice to Management

Training program really needs improvement.

11. Well...it's retail.

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you get full-time status, you do get some really good benefits, such as: reasonably-priced health/dental/vision insurance, 401(K) plan with 2% full company match (must be with the company for 3 years in order for the matched contributions to vest), free health screening each year (which confers a yearly discount on the health insurance), and some discounts at other websites and even a small discount at the Apple store. A lot of the people are really nice to work with, and many of the customers (at my location) are repeat, regular shoppers who are also very nice to work with. Schedules for associates are done weekly (rather than 2 weeks at a time), which gives you a bit more flexibility in asking for time off if you need it the following week. After acquiring OfficeMax, we gained a PTO bank (paid time off), which is given to you at the beginning of the year (rather than having to accrue it during the year), and lets you use it for any reason - personal day, vacation or sick time. (Previously we had separate banks for personal time, sick days and vacation time.)

Cons

Unless you're in a management position, don't expect either a great salary or great raises. It's retail - you're going to have the occasional rude/disgruntled/problem customer, so be prepared for it. Higher than average turnover rate. I've been with the company a fairly long time, and I've seen many people (at all levels) come and go. They've recently started a new program that many of us who have been there for awhile feel is doubling our workload, and upper management (above store level) is adamant about it being done.

Advice to Management

I really have few, if any problems with management at our store. Everyone is very nice, hard-working, and we have a good leader in our store manager.

Showing 593 of 2,025 reviews