Office Depot Reviews

Reset
2.9
Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith
Roland C. Smith

Pros
  • The customer service oriented approach they have to selling works once you get the hang of it but it can be difficult at first (in 67 reviews)

• You can negotiate a flexible schedule (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is not concerned with anyone developing their career (in 71 reviews)

• Minimum wage employees are hard to get great results the company wants/ (in 66 reviews)

1,982 Employee Reviews

If you can't get your first few choices for a job, there is always Office Depot.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Flower Mound, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Flower Mound, TX

Pros

There is 401K, and steady pay.

Cons

At the time of my employment, there was hardly enough staff coverage during day shifts. We were actually would have 2-3 associates(1 cashier, 1 sales, 1 manager) in the store when it's lunch time, which is the busiest time of the day. So we would have customers who need help waiting. These wait times can be so long that the customer would drop what they have in hand and leave the store. From what I hear from more experienced coworkers that this happens in all the other Office Depots in the area. All this of course didn't help out the sales numbers if we can't sale. I worked at one of the stores in the worse districts. So we would always get (putting it nicely) nagged about to bring up the sales numbers, to the point where we would annoy and even anger some customers about buying add on items with big purchases. (e.g. ink, paper and cables with a printer) And when I try to mention these issues affecting our customer service, my manager would literally roll their eyes.

Advice to Management

Employ more people Have secret shoppers notice: -how many people are actually working at peak times(to check if there is enough coverage) -see how other customers are treated -where the on duty manager is Make sure the work schedules are done and posted by Wednesday so everyone can see them ahead of time so they can plan things outside of work.

Not all is well with O.D. Land

Current Employee - Department Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

401(k) and stock purchase plan

Cons

* No general company direction or plan, every move the company makes seems to be out of desperation * Stores are expected to maintain sales, customer service and daily tasks while operating on 30% of the payroll they did 2 years ago

Advice to Management

focus more on making the employees happy and the rest will fall into place

Think Hard Before You Work Here

Former Employee - CSC Director in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - CSC Director in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Company has a good name recognition. It used to be a great place to work, but current management has changed this significantly.

Cons

Senior management is out of touch with the reality of the business. No strategies exist to drive future performance. You have to be able to accept criticism and blame for things that aren't things that you have any control over.

Advice to Management

Listen to the companies employees on how they feel on what they think is wrong with the company. Past Leadership used to do this a lot and things got a lot better for a while. Today, nobody cares about the company and most peope think that the only way for it to be successful again if with a new CEO and new EVP's who know what they're doing and are less worried about their personal wealth.

Office Depot. Taking care of business???? Where's that hand in the box?

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

The only good thing about working for this company is the ability to work from a home office. That's it. Geez...how am I going to come up with 100 words to complete this section....well, I guess I could say that Staples and WB Mason and Office Basics do it so much better than OD. Do you remember the OD commercial with the hand in the box? Are you kidding me? That was horrible marketing. Go to youtube and type in office depot commercial. People have made some very funny spoofs about that horrible, horrible commercial. Staples on the other hand has a competent marketing department that creative campaigns that people remember. The easy button anyone?

Cons

Where do I start...management that doesn't tell you anything...management that steals from the company. Yeah. A manager actually used people's corporate credit cards to buy suits,dinners you name it after the rep had quit. There are other managers that preach integrity, yet have affairs with each other. It was so bad, that they actually addressed it during a meeting. I think so of the higher ups told them that it had to stop...The ceo is running the company into the ground. The stock has dropped significantly in the past year. They actually laid off a good portion of the sales force after the Christmas party last year to try to get the stock value back up. Horrible delivery service...when you would close an account, you would lose it very quickly due to poor service.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. Treat the employees like human beings. Respect + recognition = retention. The turnover in that place is so bad, it got to the point you wouldn't even introduce yourself to the new hires. Because you knew they would be quitting in a week.

Office Depot Reality

Current Employee - BSD III in Trumbull, CT
    Current Employee - BSD III in Trumbull, CT

Pros

To watch a bunch of idiots try to run a company. It's like watching someone slip on a patch, get up, and then slip again on the same patch of ice.

Cons

The company is being run into the ground. All the support functions are gone so it's hard to do the daily taks of sales: process an order, RMA, and billing (outsourced all their credit funtions to Jamaica to take advantage of $1 a week salaries).

Advice to Management

Make sure you make a lot of money while you can. You destoryed this company that Bruce Nelson created which had a culture where it was fun to come to work.

Expect long hours

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

Big company benefits. Lengthy Processes.

Cons

Very long work hours at Cisco

Advice to Management

Allow folks to work less

Horrible

Current Employee - Analyst in Delray Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Delray Beach, FL

Pros

None. This place is horrible. I should have never left my other job

Cons

Incompetence of senior management, benefits are horrible

Advice to Management

Get rid of the people that dont know what they are doing and stop putting people you were going to fire in jobs they dont belong in or know anything about

Leadership needs to grow a set or leave.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Delray Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Delray Beach, FL

Pros

Location - South Florida weather

Cons

Ineffective senior management - same stuff over and over and over and over. It's like Groundhog Day at OD!! Lack of direction and no communication of strategy leaves everyone paralyzed - there are not a lot of reasons to work your butt off right now, but we do have some solid team members. If we could cut out more deadwood, we'd be in good shape. Unfortunately, the recent voluntary exit package was ignored by those who really should have taken it - the long-term employees in management positions ONLY because they've been there for many years.

Advice to Management

Please give us some direction - unlock that strategy you keep talking about and communicate it down to us. Once you do, please hold to it, even if a week or month is not comping as strong as you'd like. Sometimes it takes a while for benefits to kick in - if we hold the line, we'll be successful in the long run.

Not a good place to be

Current Employee - Director in Delray Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Director in Delray Beach, FL

Pros

With significant revenues from each of its channels (bricks and mortar retail, internet, catalog and contract), Office Depot is a good place to learn and gain experience in multi-channel retail. In addition, with almost one-third of its revenues from the international division, there are also opportunities to gain international experience as well. There are a lot of talented people in the organization who are very committed to improving the company.

Cons

Unfortunately, there are many more downsides than upsides these days. Career development is almost non-existent, and in spite of management's espoused commitment to promoting from within, the vast majority of senior level positions are filled with external candidates. High levels of management turnover have led to numerous changes in direction - this is a company that can't seem to stick to a strategy for very long. Our CEO has shown poor judgment in a number of areas, and has pushed cost-cutting decisions on his team which have later been shown to have negative repercussions on our operations. Overall, morale is very poor these days. Employees work very hard, but accomplish very little as there are poor processes for decision-making and little commitment to following through on espoused priorities.

Advice to Management

You need to focus more on retaining your talent, years of know-how are walking out the door every day and are not easy to replace. Stop focusing so much on cost-cutting and look at process improvement instead.

Welcome to your next Dead End job!

Current Employee - CSC-II Technology Sales in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - CSC-II Technology Sales in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

The best reason to work for Office Depot is you like working a retail setting by yourself. It is a good job for getting through school.

Cons

Low Pay, After a while no pay raises (Management Included) Clueless corporate office. No opportunies for internal promotion. Poor business plan. Barebones stores with over paid management. No employee is made to feel as if they are a valuable member of the team. Everyone is always replaceable. Very few full time positions left. Careers stagnation very quickly. Be prepared for ever increasing workloads with no extra pay. Office Depot's policy is that no one in the Indianapolis area at least is promoted within instead the company DM only hires people from competitors. Finally do not expect to ever get the bonuses that you may here about because Office Depot policy is that when stores get to close to the goal line it is simply moved further and further away to avoid payouts.

Advice to Management

Perhaps they should pay attention to what is going on in the stores rather then following plans from people just out of business school who have alot of plans that look great on paper, but in reality don't work. Also people used to like Office Depot regardless of the higher prices then the competition because there were enough employees to provide proper customer service.

Showing 1,982 of 2,002 reviews