Office Depot

2.8
1,488 Reviews

Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith
Roland C. Smith

Pros
  • Good customer service skills training and overall good experience for further retail Jobs (in 65 reviews)

• Work/life balance is heavily weighted towards life; working from home readily accepted (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is not concerned with anyone developing their career (in 71 reviews)

• Minimum wage employees are hard to get great results like the company wants (in 67 reviews)

More Highlights

Great co-workers and customers

I worked at Office Depot part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers and customers overall

Cons

No full-time employment and very low pay

Worst employment experience of my life.

Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant -Print Services in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Customers are great. Coworkers would be, too, if any stuck around long enough to get to know.

Cons

Pay is not consistent with the the workload in the copy and print center.
    Turnover (at least in our store) is so high that nothing gets done and no one gets trained. In the last year and a half, I have gone through 3 store managers, 13 department managers and more associates than I can count. It is completely normal to have one or two sick calls or no call/no shows in a day. It is not unusual to have 3 or 4 people quit without notice in a single week (or even a single day).
    The latest management team spends a majority of their time in the office. A lot of that time is spent with their radios off.
    Good luck getting assistance up at the front.

Instead of getting caught up in the stupid things (like how many reams of paper sold last Wednesday), pay attention to warning signs....like high turnover, negative morale, etc.
    Take a moment to recognize the people who show up for work every day, cover shifts, take on extra responsibilities and stick with it despite the TERRIBLE way the store is run.

WORST COMPANY EVER!!! I hope they all close down!!!

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in Spring Hill, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in Spring Hill, FL

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people I worked with

Cons

Oh where to start? First off, you can't work more than 20 hours of you'll be on their report, then they will cut your hours even more if you are on the report. The employee care is outrageous. They only care about customers and how much money they make. No kind of discount. 10% for employees. Then the store closes. Severance package?? HAHAHAHA!!!! One weeks pay for every year that you've worked. Plus they tax the crap out of it, and give it to you in one lump sum. So you basically get 1/3 of what you would actually get on your normal checks. Called corporate for a huge issue I had with a store manager throwing things off of a desk because he was mad at me, corporate did NOTHING! They tell you what you want to hear and don't do anything. I will NEVER EVER EVER work for this company again!

GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN!!!

The undercover cult.

I worked at Office Depot

Pros

Not having to think for your self.

Cons

Where do I start. well first of all they tell you what you have to say to customers. Like you can't say hi or how are you doing or can I help you find something. No not good enough you have to say welcome to Office Depot. Or what can I help you find. Not to mention if your a cashier your the working dog. Everything gets put on you from greating the customer not with hi did you get what you came in for. But with how was your shopping experience today. And then you have a work life reward to try and sign up that you have to type in. Then you give a PC Card and tell them about the services OD offers you have to put your name on it. And then you have to circle a servay at the bottom of the recipt. Then after 10 or more minutes with one customer you can say by but not have a good day no you have to say thank you for shopping OD we will see you next week. And if your the lucky one that gets to close all the time don't expecte to get out when your schedule off no no you stay and do leftover frate take trash out (there's like 10 garbage cans) you clean the bathroom break room back room sweep the floor put out price changes put items back up right. Set an ad print take a tickets. Fill holes on the shelves. Finish the outs. I mean if you like to have someone telling you what you can do and say like you can't think for yourself then OD is right for you. Also don't be a cashier it's the worst. Also from 11 to 4 there is a sales leader talking none stop in your ear it'll make you crazy. By the time I was done with my shift I was mentally and physically draned. So not worth the money.

there's life outside of OD.

Yearly Update

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Typically laid back atmosphere. Good relationship among same-level coworkers.

Cons

Pay is not consistent with responsibilities, never provided numbers about bonuses/quotas. You just have to take the company's word that you're being bonused correctly. Merger has made processes extremely frustrating, there is never a clear answer to any question. Success is all about playing the "corporate game". Definitely not the stable company it once was.

Pride is an evil thing! Be honest with employees as they are the backbone of any company.

I hate this place

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist/Freight Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (less than an year)

Pros

- I'm not very experienced in retail but the customers at my store are usually great. They appreciate the help and solutions I provide for them. They are certainly a lot better than the miserable people I deal with at my other job. Then again this store appeals more to professional office types.

- They are fairly flexible and consistent with schedules but then again I'm part time.

Cons

- Pay sucks. I'm starting a new job next week at another retailer and by the end of the year I will be making as much as if not more than the managers at Office Depot and I'm not in a management position.

- Very few full time positions available.

- Corporate regime. When I say "regime" I mean it in a very negative way. When ever someone clocks in the for the day or comes back from lunch they have to say "This is (name) coming on to the floor to grow one customer at a time and reach the sales goal of X and get 5 positive surveys". Corporate tries to micro manage every little thing we do in the stores down to how we break down the freight palettes. And of course the managers will follow that crap to the letter and act like it's the word of God.

- The managers are horrible. There is a lot of favoritism going on in my store. The managers hand out these stupid cards called "Bravo Cards". If you do a good job at something they will give you a bravo card that they will put in a box and at the end of the month they will pick a "random" name out of the box and the winner gets $50. They also have cards similar to that if you get your name mentioned in a customer survey. So two people get picked each month and the last 2 or 3 times it's been the same two people picked. What are the odds? (sarcasm)

The store manager bends over for corporate and spends all day talking over the radio about stupid things while we are trying to get work done. Expect to get treated like a child if you're on the freight team. They want us to tell them what we are doing every 5 minutes and they start to complain if we aren't on the radios talking all the time. They don't trust us to do our jobs and act like everyday is our first day on the job.

Burn the company down. Seriously. There is so much wrong with this company I can't even begin to think of any advice. The corporate regime is horrible. The managers are horrible. Pay and promotion is sub par at best. If your customers saw how you treated us they would never come back because of how horrible and degrading working for this company is. I'm glad I'm leaving soon and my fellow coworkers are also looking for new employment because they all hate it there too.

A Place to not work

Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

No Pros Not a good place to work

Cons

No benefits for parttimers
    Requirements to work overnighters
    Low Pay
    Too many Chiefs and not enough workers
    Will not lay off workers-Will have to pay unemployment
    One person has to be janitor all the time when closing at night
    Too many younger workers No diversity
    Chewing out of associates in front of customers and coworkers by managers and District Managers
    Changing of associates punched times not approved by associates Physically attacked by a past
    assist manager in a store while on duty
    Not ranting here but just telling of my experiences
    Not free to leave because of bills

Ship out the slackers
    Reward those who are on time and there everyday.
    Tell the management to tell the wannabe managers that they are not managers
    Praise other departments besides the copy centers

Worked at Officemax, now that its Office Depot it has gone downhill

Current Employee - Sales Associate - Print Center in Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate - Print Center in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nearly all of the co-workers I've had there were really good people, they are usually good about giving you days off if you request them 2 weeks in advance (though this may no longer be true), they will accommodate you if you have another job or go to school

Cons

Pay is terrible (always has been at Office Max, Office Depot people supposedly got paid more but no one is getting a raise from the merger and new employees will start at the shamefully low Office Max pay scales), you have to get permission from management to step off the sales floor to use the bathroom, get a drink of water, etc. (reminds me of jail, at OfficeMax you could step off the floor as long as you notified somebody). They also expect you to work way too hard for them despite the fact that they pay you nothing. Office Depot has an "always say YES!" policy which encourages all kinds of lowlifes to come in and try to rip off the store. They also expect everyone to work Thanksgiving and every other holiday except Christmas Day.

Understand that your employees are people and not resources to be exploited.

Incredibly demanding Micro-management, 0nly 20 hours a week, AND LOW LOW HOURLY WAGE!

Current Employee - Clerk? in Shoreline, WA
    Current Employee - Clerk? in Shoreline, WA

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Co- workers were great, but dispirited by management, no benefits, and starvation wage.

Cons

Management that was disrespectful, poor training, and lots of heavy lifting.
    Creepy shop-lifting customers that we were supposed to follow around and "Nice them out".
    It sucked...sometimes they had visible weapons.

Give employees benefits; without having to wait a year and provide them with a livable wage.
    Don't Micro-manage employees and maybe the constant turnover will stop bleeding the company's profits.
    Only a "lifer drone" with no drive or ambition would stay with this company.
    (There was one in my store and he was a vapid robot moron!)

Was good then went bad

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Fontana, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Fontana, CA

I worked at Office Depot full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

People I worked with were all good

Cons

After merger the company became all about $$$$ not people

Fire the CEO