Office Depot

2.9 1,176 reviews

Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith

Roland C. Smith

1,176 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "This was my first job, and i worked in retail as a customer service specialist"
    in 49 reviews
  • "Flexible Schedule - Basically get to create you own schedule"
    in 45 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management in B2B isn't kept up to date on all developments"
    in 61 reviews
  • "Staffing sucks to for wanting to have such an interactive customer service program"
    in 55 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fun while it lasted....

Account Executive (Former Employee)
Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Office Depot full-time for more than a year

ProsOffice Depot Inc. as a whole is a good company. Customer support and management are good. Internal support very helpful. Flexible work schedule and good pay- if you make your sales goals. Great customers!

ConsI worked for OfficeMax Workplace as an Account Executive for 1 year. My position was elimnated ..Company merger with Office Depot and the restructuring eliminated 200 sales positions and 100 DSM positions- not including other upper management and other positions. Very dissapointed the way were laid off- conference call and given 1 day notice! Very sad the way they treat their loyal hardworking employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with your employees. Treat them with respect. If they are performing well and doing a great job- let them keep their jobs!

A company with no direction in a shrinking industry

Category Manager (Current Employee)
Naperville, IL

I have been working at Office Depot full-time for more than a year

ProsWork/life balance is heavily weighted towards life; working from home readily accepted. Extremely easy job tasks.

ConsNo work challenges. No direction given by management. Apathetic work environment with zero morale. Asked to perform the identical tasks for multiple individuals. Very little interaction with direct supervisor with little to no interest in your personal goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am speaking from experiences on the OfficeMax side prior to the merger with Office Depot. As part of the integration team, I have found ODP individuals disinterested in my opinions, the information that I've provided and very unfocused. The new management team was more interested in decreasing payroll to achieve their own bonus goals than keeping individuals onboard to facilitate a successful merger.

Pick the Hill

Management (Former Employee)
Springfield, MO

I worked at Office Depot full-time for more than 10 years

Prospart time flexibility and above average compensation when goals are met

ConsCut backs and loss of benefits. Affordable Health Act has destroyed loyalty and commitment from field level to Corporate level and back with cuts.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview the ancient labor forecast and make it realistic with current business model expectations. Too much money still spent on "checkers" paid to check on the "checkers" who are checking. If you can actually make what you expect realistically happen get in the field and test it. If not invest in what it will take to meet those expectations. Telling someone they can fly and giving them a plane but restricting to taxi speed will not get it off the ground!

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor growth opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Office Depot

ProsAvailability for full and complete autonomy.

ConsLow wages, unrealistic expectations. Limited growth opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen up communication, provide guidance on improvements.

very fun

I have been working at Office Depot full-time for more than a year

Prosit's a great place to work and you have fun everyday. they have great managers and a great support team.

Consnothing i can thinks of

No Room For Growth

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)
Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Office Depot full-time for more than 3 years

Prosflexible work schedule, allows for a good work/life balance

Consallows incompetent managers to continue to stay in their positions while better qualified associates are waiting to be promoted

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes and get rid of the dead weight!!

I was there too long.

Sales Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Office Depot full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI met a lot of great people.

ConsIt's a dying business.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to stay relevant.

Not a career job

CCS I (Current Employee)

I have been working at Office Depot as a contractor for more than a year

ProsMy Former Store Manager was first to greet me and did the whole hiring process with me. She was the reason I decided on Office Depot.

ConsThere are so many! Training is hit and miss, mostly miss, Pay is low, Few hours. So very many Goals!! Always hear about negatives, never hear about positives!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementBe good to your Employees, they are the reason you are where you are!!!

Getting worse!!!

I have been working at Office Depot

ProsGreat building and benefits with an excellent cafeteria. Fun job perks!

ConsWay too many decision makers involved in every project. Oh did I mention too many Directors, even after the merge!

Advice to Senior ManagementPoor restructuring. It'll be a long process going nowhere. I guess as long as the man gets his bonus...

Depot is hard to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Office Depot full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExperience provided but you must work very hard and are measured every day.

ConsOlder employees are not treated fairly. They only want young people at a modest salary

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat everyone like you want to be treated

Worked for Office Depot? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Office Depot reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Office Depot CEO Roland C. Smith. All 1,176 reviews posted anonymously by Office Depot employees.