Office Depot Reviews

1. Working Culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Office Depot

Pros

The customers and their loyalty to us as employees based on how well they were treated and respected.

Cons

micromanagement to a whole new level' zero recognition for loyalty and commitment completely political

Advice to Management

recognize commitment and loyalty and work ethic vs the "good old boys" circle -

2. Good work place

I worked at Office Depot full-time

Pros

Steady schedule, decent pay your schedule will likely stay the same. Not many vacation day options.

Cons

No growth potential, sometimes disorganized. Lines can get very long, Upper management should consider hiring more individuals.

Advice to Management

Give your employees more growth opportunity. Management should promote from within and offer an educational incentive as well.

3. About it

Current Employee - Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at Office Depot

Pros

Not a bad atmosphere overall. Usually the managers are pretty cool and I have excellent coworkers that I work with. There are some benefits for employees that are there for over a year and for full time positions.

Cons

Wage is not the best, honestly. Could be stressful at times and since it is retail, the turnover is pretty high.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to employees and their performance and please only promote the ones that are actually worth the promoting.

5. Employee

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I

I worked at Office Depot

Pros

The hours are flexible, the staff can be the best part of the job, and there are always interesting customers to interact with!

Cons

Management can be the downfall at any company when it seems they only care about the bottom line, rather than truly trying to assist customers.

Advice to Management

Take away commission from warranty services and try to see what the customer actually wants.

6. Office Depot does not care about their employes.

Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's not hard labor for most. Individual tasks are simple. You can meet new people. The people that you work with and your store manager can make your experience great, they can also do the opposite. There are opportunities to make commission. Great for college students, or any part-time workers.

Cons

NO HOLIDAY PAY. Pay for employees with non-management positions is not enough to make a living. Don't expect more than a few cents when your get a raise (once per year) between $.10 and $.15. They expect you to sell replacement plans, and services to make up for the the crumby base pay. You get 5% of the cost of the services and plans. You get a bonus if your store is in the top 100 for performance each quarter which is nice but I used to get %20 every 2 weeks. Most employees don't have the opportunity to sell these attachments because they aren't on the floor or in Technology where the bulk of the opportunities are. Cashiers sometime pick up stragglers but it's usually for the for the $8-$16 plans. Copy and Print associates get almost no opportunities to sell plans and services yet they make the same base pay as everyone else. CPD associates are expected to take care of their customers and all the other printing need of the store (signage, price labels, associate business cards..etc). 10% discount is a joke, considering that we give customers coupons with better discounts on a daily basis. I can not recall in the past two years (since the OMax merger) having any employee appreciation. It used to come in the form of a couple weekends during the year when employees could get a 15% discount (still a joke but at least it seemed as if we were appreciated). The store is open for EVERY HOLIDAY except for Christmas December 25th. You will be expected to leave the dinner table on Thanksgiving day (Gray Thursday) to come in and work for 3 or 4 hours and you will NOT be compensated for it. As of the start of the 2015 fiscal year, Office Depot employees do not receive "Holiday Pay" (time and a half).

Advice to Management

Finding ways to shaft your employees is the wrong way to go. There needs to be more transparency. Stop keeping you employees in the dark. I shouldn't have to find out about this merger stuff on the news. Stop coming up with ideas about how things should be done in store without store input.

7. Sales and Services Manager

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Brookfield, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Brookfield, WI

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity for growth in a customer service oriented business

Cons

Failing company continues to reinvent the wheel; allocating millions of dollars on new programs that will never make a difference.

Advice to Management

Find a different company to grow with. This one is failing.

8. Good Company, rough direction.

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Clarksville, TN
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Clarksville, TN

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good hourly pay + commission bonuses + profit sharing bonuses. Specialized retail environment. Fast paced with change and current events.

Cons

It's retail. It's a smaller retailer with worry about penetration in the office supply market - company is fighting to stay needed. No paid holidays except Thanksgiving and Christmas, but all salary get's holiday bonuses for all holidays. Medical coverage is way to expensive considering you come out of pocket for a lot of things.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your employees and show them that they are just as important as your upper management. A lot of associates feel as if they are a left out and not important. Make the medical coverage either more affordable or keep the dues the same, but give the associates better coverage.

9. Good so far

I have been working at Office Depot full-time

Pros

Clean stores, great people to work with, set schedule

Cons

The distance is far from home

10. Great experience, not enough employees vs. work load

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in Johns Creek, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in Johns Creek, GA

I worked at Office Depot

Pros

This was a great experience for a first time job when in high school and first year in college. Learned a lot about how a retail store is run and is managed.

Cons

There were not enough employees and work load became tedious after a while. I would be working 10 to 14 hour shifts with only a 30 minute break to sit with one other employee.

Advice to Management

Hire more people

11. Was a Great Company to work for!

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Office Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun customers to deal with.

Cons

Lots of reorgs and job stability is hard to say.

Showing 1,916 of 1,942 reviews