Office Depot Reviews

2.8
1,459 Reviews

Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith
Roland C. Smith

Pros
  • Positive attitudes and customer service create an upbeat work environment (in 64 reviews)

• Flexible Schedule - Basically get to create you own schedule (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is not concerned with anyone developing their career (in 71 reviews)

• Minimum wage employees are hard to get great results like the company wants (in 67 reviews)

More Highlights

A study in demanding hypocrites.

I have been working at Office Depot

Pros

Coworkers were great when motivated properly, co managers were mostly greedy and would do anything to get rid of competition.

Cons

Heavy favoritism among management and between management and part timers. Promised promotions that never happened on several occasions. Poor internal promotion pay rates- outside hires started 2-3 dollars higher than seasoned veterans with equal experience and qualifications. Part timers were treated like dirt and full timers were overworked. Internal theft was ignored for years.

Treat your employees like people- not numbers.

Great Peer to Peer Relationships

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Office Depot full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Exciting and dynamic projects.
    Strong relationships built with team and cross team peers.
    Decent pay and good benefits.

Cons

(Many) Managers generally rude to their teams and use yelling and profanity to get results rather than engaging in a professional dialogue.
    Long hours are expected.
    General decline in respect shown to lower level employees.
    HR is used as a threat, not a resource for employees.
    Promotions are from cliques.

Restore an environment of professionalism and respect.
    Execute a legitimate Open Door Policy...not what is in use now.
    Demonstrate Ethics, don't just force a series of Ethics training that does not really get applied.
    Value employees who are getting the work done in spite of lack of recognition by their managers.

Technology Sales and Services

Current Employee - Tech Associate in Independence, MO
    Current Employee - Tech Associate in Independence, MO

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good experience to start with if you have little to no IT experience. (Not my case)
    Friendly people, all very customer oriented. Hours are great if you are a college student looking for ONLY part time.

Cons

After the Max and Depot Merger, commission for Techs on services has been cut in half, the new CEO and some DMs are pretty big jerks. Training is little to none if you work in tech, you're going to have to learn how to diagnose and repair machines almost all on your own.

The stores are for the most part nice, my store in independence has been great to me, however upper management and corporate need to consider and care for their employees.

Excellent place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good, solid co-workers. My goals have always been clear, but that might be cause of who I report too. Others mileage may vary due to their "boss".

Cons

Not many, typical corporate complaints, politics, etc, but you get that everywhere, HQ or retail.

Treat your employees well and allow them to soar. Not every new employees should have to hop to another company to get a pay raise.

I worked for about a year at the company as a cashier, moving up to head cashier within a month along with tech support.

Former Employee - Head Cashier/Tech Support in Coon Rapids, MN
    Former Employee - Head Cashier/Tech Support in Coon Rapids, MN

I worked at Office Depot part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Managers were willing to negotiate pay and hours easily, relaxed environment.

Cons

Assumed to know everything about store management/employee procedures, weird company policies that may/may not defy common sense and logic.

All of the managers I had were friendly and nice, the only thing I would suggest they pay attention to would be to make sure employees are kept knowledgeable with current company policies.

6 years in at Office Depot

Current Employee - Department Manager
    Current Employee - Department Manager

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Management takes their job seriously and Office Depot puts effort into moving their managers careers along.

Cons

High turn over with hourly associates. Most are college students just waiting to move on.

Incredible time spent here in this fun, results-driven, progressive sales environment.

Current Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Company values are solid and non-negotiable. Merger is going much smoother than anticipated with synergies already being realized. Opportunities are always available for innovative, hard working employees.

Cons

Although it has improved greatly during my tenure, our advertising and brand recognition continue to come in second place to our largest competitor.

An company that has offered opportunities to advance.

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Inglewood, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Inglewood, CA

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities to learn galore. Good management that has worked with scheduling for education. Am not limited to one area of sales.

Cons

Hard to hire reliable people

Under-appreciated sales people - missing strong identity

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist-III in Traverse City, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist-III in Traverse City, MI

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent customer service program. They have very flexible business policies. Management adopts a common sense attitude toward business. Real reasonable business men. Periodically there were quantity and product line combination commission programs on software, PCs, furniture and phone accessories.

Cons

Lack of strong brand identity. Missing both a symbolic and/ or unique idea to identify with strongly. Poor pay and benefits. We had to make a certain percentage of "attachments" to sales before making commission on those sales.

Get more involved and just be more supportive. They were there but it was always "just another day" for the most part.

Good people, bad hours

I worked at Office Depot part-time

Pros

I worked in copy and print. The management was great and gave me the tools I needed to be successful there. I enjoyed my coworkers and problems were always handled well. They stuck to their policies which I appreciated.

Cons

The hours were really inconsistent and the pay wasn't great