Office Depot

www.officedepot.com
Employer Engaged

Good people, management made you feel a little uncomfortable

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Office Depot

Pros

Flexible scheduling, good hours, low stress, management did a good job at making you feel like you were important to the company

Cons

I couldn't really get behind some of the products we tried to sell people. They tried to make us push product protection plans that were basically a scam.

Staff enough people during busy times

While the working environment was enjoyable, little chance for a raise makes this a poor job for anyone Post High-School

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Office Depot part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back work environment, and relatively simple job requirements. The tasks required were simple and there is enough to keep you fairly busy on any given day.

Cons

The pay would be good for a High School student but anyone beyond that will find it hard to pay bills with the low wage offered and very little room for upward movement.

Increase your compensation to loyal employees if you find they are irreplaceable.

Good company for the most part

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Office Depot full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good salary, good manager. Company was overall a good employer with the exception of how bonus payouts we're tracked and handled.

Cons

Bonuses were often changed so final payouts were sometimes a mess.

Merger seemed to have issues al many levels. Changed culture of company into a new company.

I think my location may be an anomaly

Current Employee - Copy & Print Center Associate in Kirkwood, MO
    Current Employee - Copy & Print Center Associate in Kirkwood, MO

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The particular location I work at is fantastic! I just wanted a part-time get out of the house job that I'd enjoy and earn a little bit in the process. I work from home part-time and was getting bored plus could use some extra income, so applied for a CPD position. My starting pay was above minimum wage, which I wasn't expecting, but I do have graphic design skills which may have played a role.

My location has AMAZING store management. They are fun, work hard out on the floor, helpful, understanding, and flexible. They understand that your family comes first. They are always bringing in donuts, pizza, milkshakes and other goodies. We play fun sales card games with prizes like scratch-off lotto tickets, free lunch, etc. My co-workers are great to be around and are very productive. We are known in the area for being friendly and helpful to the point where customers go out of their way to shop at our location. Crabby customers are fairly few and far between because we take their concerns seriously and do our best to resolve issues. It's a true team environment where everyone is willing and able to assist each other because management makes sure everyone is able to do the basics in each department.

CPD is fast-paced, challenging, and interesting. There's very little monotony because you never know what kind of job you'll be working on.

Cons

It would be hard to raise a family on the wages from Office Depot, but it's a great non-food job for someone young or wanting additional income.

CPD training can be a bit of a trial by fire because the store stays so busy that time can't be dedicated to it. Outside of the basics there are too many things to be trained on since the jobs are so individualized. You have to learn as you go but pick up on it quickly if you have supportive co-workers.

Well-paid employees make dedicated employees. We work very hard on our feet all day and it would be nice to be given a middle-class wage in return. Personally, I'm fine with my wages but my job is for pocket money and not to raise a family. I'd like to see my fellow associates well-compensated for the incredibly hard work they do!

Customer service

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Norcross, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Norcross, GA

I worked at Office Depot full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nice coworkers, diverse , family-work. Life balance. Pay good,benefits good. Flexible work schedule. Office discounts.

Cons

Merged with Office Max. Not sure about policies now. Change in medical benefits. Not caring of employee's workload...it's all about the dollar.

Had good Management people treated fairly

Good Company/Bad Experiences

Current Employee - Technology Specialist in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Technology Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Office Depot

Pros

Managers work with you in real-life scenerios and work isn't so demanding to over stress one.

Cons

Little to no room for moving up with the company. Part-Time employee's work full-time hours.

Compensate employee's livable work wages.

Sales Consultant

Current Employee - Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at Office Depot

Pros

Office Depot Very Flexiable with school

Cons

Merging with Office max.
    The way to move up in the company
    The rate of pay is minimum

Corporate Retail Job

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II

I worked at Office Depot

Pros

I was employed full-time. I got a paycheck and some bonuses. Some of the co-workers were cool to work with, but this has nothing to do with the company itself, so not really a company pro there. Um, really trying to think of some pros here...yep, at a loss. A job and a paycheck. Sigh.

Cons

Pay raises are a joke. Advancement/promotions were based on butt-kissing and internal politics. Even though I outperformed the other guy in all sales goals repeatedly, week after week, the other guy was promoted...he kisses butt, ans I do not kiss butt, so if that is the requirement for advancement in the company, then, I quit. So, I quit.

As far as I know, I got lucky getting a full-time gig there when they were still hiring full-timers. Now they mostly hire part-timers to save corporate money.

I was there when they got the bright idea to "fix" people's computers, which I still think is a shady business for an office supply company that doesn't have actual techs working for it to be in, but it makes the corporation money, so be it.

They remind me of Microsoft vs Apple. Staples would be Apple, and Office Depot is Microsoft. Apple is innovative and ahead of and on top of the game, year after year...they lead the market...they are the cool kids. Microsoft is the out-of-synch, awkward dweeb on the scene. Always way late in jumping into the game, and when they do, they do it in the most cheesy and obtrusive way possible. But, they are still around and making tons of corporate money, so be it.

Check your egos at the door. Somehow, some way, learn how to be human again...please...that robot tool thing gets old.

I've enjoyed working for this company

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Sylmar, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Sylmar, CA

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, good work ethic, very customercentric stance

Cons

lack of hrs due to a need for a decent staff size

customer service position

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in San Diego, CA

I worked at Office Depot

Pros

good for a high school student
    experience in multiple fields

Cons

pay is low
    raises are low