Office Depot

2.8
1,519 Reviews

Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith
Roland C. Smith

Pros
  • Company is well focus to create customer service as their number goal (in 67 reviews)

• Flexible Schedule - Basically get to create you own schedule (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is not concerned with anyone developing their career (in 71 reviews)

• Minimum wage employees are hard to get great results like the company wants (in 66 reviews)

More Highlights

21 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Okay Job

Former Employee - Department Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Office Depot

Pros

They will never fire you as long as you do your job. That being said the job is pretty demanding. You run the floor and you are also overseeing all cash office and back office. They gutted all non-manager full time positions and basically left you with cashiers and floor sales associates.

Cons

They will never promote you. You will end up training off the street people to be store manager while you get passed over again and again. I literally saw people with no experience and a bachelor's degree get store manager while I was told no promotions were available to me.

Look at the talent pool within the company for senior positions (ie store manager)

Great people to work with. I love it

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Office Depot

Pros

Managers are always nice, will give you days off whenever needed

Cons

Hours are sometimes very high and sometimes very low, its not stabled hours

Overall a good company, but the facility I worked at was poorly managed.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA

I worked at Office Depot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not much positive to say. But I should make clear that my opinion is based mostly on my experience working for one facility of a very large corporation. I worked at a distribution center, so I can't speak to working at a store.

Cons

Benifits are below average, particularly paid time off.
    First line managers are treated like dirt; witnessed borderline abuse. Minimum of 50 hours per week is an expectation for first line managers.
    Expectations in relation to staffing level is not realistic.

Incredibly demanding Micro-management, 0nly 20 hours a week, AND LOW LOW HOURLY WAGE!

Current Employee - Clerk? in Shoreline, WA
    Current Employee - Clerk? in Shoreline, WA

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Co- workers were great, but dispirited by management, no benefits, and starvation wage.

Cons

Management that was disrespectful, poor training, and lots of heavy lifting.
    Creepy shop-lifting customers that we were supposed to follow around and "Nice them out".
    It sucked...sometimes they had visible weapons.

Give employees benefits; without having to wait a year and provide them with a livable wage.
    Don't Micro-manage employees and maybe the constant turnover will stop bleeding the company's profits.
    Only a "lifer drone" with no drive or ambition would stay with this company.
    (There was one in my store and he was a vapid robot moron!)

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Sales and Services Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales and Services Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Office Depot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Benefits, excellent training, lots of stores, so switching stores can be beneficial if you need to make changes.

Cons

Retail hours, nights and weekends, days off depend on if your store manager is willing to work night or weekend hours.

The constant changes with the merger made it hard to have consistency at work.

Good for starter job, Lack of opportunity

Former Employee - Technology Department Manager in Issaquah, WA
    Former Employee - Technology Department Manager in Issaquah, WA

I worked at Office Depot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay, Benefits, Paid Time Off, Store Discount for Employees

Cons

Lack of Management Support, Never same schedule, lack of opportunity for growth, Senior Management promotes incorrect, unskilled employees, Strives to keep good hardworking employees in position without promotions. District Management plays favorites with store staff and promotions.

Completely clear District Level Management, Develop opportunities for hard working dedicated employees. Offer more competitive wage and benefits.

Customer oriented job, no support from managers and little to no training provided BASICALLY a revolving door company.

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (more than an year)

Pros

customers get excited easily with the service we provide and what we offer; commission checks can be earned through selling PPPs (if the store is doing well); most of coworkers are fun and want to be there

Cons

customers get annoyed about not being allowed to shop without being greeted many times; management doesn't necessarily support the employees; revolving door- some many new hires and people leaving CONSTANTLY

value your employees more. It's not true that is easier to train new people then keep the old ones.

Office Depot Max merger

Former Employee - CSS II Technology in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - CSS II Technology in Seattle, WA

I worked at Office Depot full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked for Office Depot for many years and was happy most of the time.

Cons

When Office Depot and Office Max merger the company philosophy changed drastically and I was no longer happy working for them.

Office Depot Max has become so concerded with making money that it is no longer concerned with the costomers who are the ones who pay you the money.

Mindbogglingly inefficient, backwards and unintuitive

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in Seattle, WA

I worked at Office Depot part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was a solid first job and I now have job experience on my resume.
    The employees were nice and the job was pretty easy for the most part.
    You can basically choose your hours.
    Made 5 cents above minimum wage....

Cons

Focused wayyyy too much on trackable statistics (customer reviews, hitting daily sales goals, etc) and not enough on simply getting the job done. There is basically no training, instead you have to just ask each time you encounter something new. The corporate rules and guidelines passed down from up top really don't work. The radios are forcibly overused and end up distracting employees. For a company that sells routers, computers, phones, etc, the technology was awful. In my 3 months there the phones broke twice, the network connection broke twice, and one or more cash registers broke every other day.

Do less rigid corporate bs, fix your technology, get a better training system.

A view from management

Former Employee - Department Manager in Issaquah, WA
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Issaquah, WA

I worked at Office Depot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay for managers, all associates are offered medical benefits

Cons

Very shady corporate mentality on overtime. I have worked many hours of overtime as have several other managers and we never seem to get paid for it. Overtime is severely frowned upon by corporate and there is always threats to lose if your job if you get any. However, if you leave without finishing your tasks then you are considered a non team player and will be micro managed from then on out. Even as a manager, the store manager is always looking for things you do wrong and never give you and heads up on what you did right.

There is a huge lack of care for the lower employees. When an employee with come up to us to ask for time off, it is very rarely ever given due to the "needs of the business" even though our coverage will be fine.

Management is also forced to bend over for customers, as if we dont, they can leave a very bad survey and that will lead to jobs being lost. Even if the customer is clearly scamming the store, corporate will not care and will fire anyone with a bad survey to their name.

Give the store management some more room to work. Pay us for the time we put in and dont be so afraid of one bad customer survey. Some customers come there just to get things for free because they know we are to scared to do anything else. Care about your people more and give us more to work with !