Office Depot

Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith

Roland C. Smith

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good part-time job

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Office Depot part-time for more than a year

Prosgood people to work with;
possibilities to learn about technologies;
great clientele;
flexible schedule

Conslow pay - many people barely make over minimum hourly salary after several years in the company

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more and people will care more

Mindbogglingly inefficient, backwards and unintuitive

Customer Service Specialist I (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA

I worked at Office Depot part-time for less than a year

ProsIt was a solid first job and I now have job experience on my resume.
The employees were nice and the job was pretty easy for the most part.
You can basically choose your hours.
Made 5 cents above minimum wage....

ConsFocused wayyyy too much on trackable statistics (customer reviews, hitting daily sales goals, etc) and not enough on simply getting the job done. There is basically no training, instead you have to just ask each time you encounter something new. The corporate rules and guidelines passed down from up top really don't work. The radios are forcibly overused and end up distracting employees. For a company that sells routers, computers, phones, etc, the technology was awful. In my 3 months there the phones broke twice, the network connection broke twice, and one or more cash registers broke every other day.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo less rigid corporate bs, fix your technology, get a better training system.

A view from management

Department Manager (Former Employee)
Issaquah, WA

I worked at Office Depot full-time for more than a year

ProsDecent pay for managers, all associates are offered medical benefits

ConsVery shady corporate mentality on overtime. I have worked many hours of overtime as have several other managers and we never seem to get paid for it. Overtime is severely frowned upon by corporate and there is always threats to lose if your job if you get any. However, if you leave without finishing your tasks then you are considered a non team player and will be micro managed from then on out. Even as a manager, the store manager is always looking for things you do wrong and never give you and heads up on what you did right.

There is a huge lack of care for the lower employees. When an employee with come up to us to ask for time off, it is very rarely ever given due to the "needs of the business" even though our coverage will be fine.

Management is also forced to bend over for customers, as if we dont, they can leave a very bad survey and that will lead to jobs being lost. Even if the customer is clearly scamming the store, corporate will not care and will fire anyone with a bad survey to their name.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the store management some more room to work. Pay us for the time we put in and dont be so afraid of one bad customer survey. Some customers come there just to get things for free because they know we are to scared to do anything else. Care about your people more and give us more to work with !

I worked at Office Depot part-time for over 1 year.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Silverdale, WA

I worked at Office Depot part-time for more than a year

ProsWorking with public. Good co-workers and good hours.

ConsUpper management is too bureaucratic. Too much emphasis on making sales targets for ALL employees. Not a lot of opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on serving the customer, not management's revenue targets.

Very nice people to work with and good work experience

Part Time Cashier (Current Employee)
Kent, WA

I have been working at Office Depot part-time for more than a year

Prosyou get to know your managers personally

Consyou don't get paid that well if you're a beginner

I like it

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Redmond, WA

I have been working at Office Depot part-time for less than a year

ProsYou are doing your job in friendly team and management. You will train in all areas of jobs in store except for management.

ConsTo increase your wage a little bit you have to work about 1 year. At this moment for non-management positions they have only part-time

Advice to Senior ManagementGood management

Store Manager

Management (Current Employee)
Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Office Depot full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe new In-Store Customer experience implementing in the stores have been fun and engaging.

ConsWe don't get our bonus categories until well into the 1st quarter and it keeps changing.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wish we would have our own company delivery trucks. I went by 3 Staples delivery vans yesterday, what a bummer.

Underpaid to be overly competent.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA

I worked at Office Depot

ProsThere is a reliable culture of competency in the management. The discounts are very nice, but the culture of retail is always present.

ConsThe requirements of selling insurance on any and all electronic appliances take precedence to any resemblance of some form of customer service.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe real with employees. Instead of faking excitement on how much Product Protection Plans the store will sell, and what the Market Basket Attachment Rate is, just lay things out in a matter of fact manner.

This is a very corporate company with lots of vague goals and little to show for them.

Kent, WA

I have been working at Office Depot

ProsThe work is very easy. There is little challenge and you can do it with the radio on and your brain off, for the most part. The pay is pretty decent for what you're doing, and as long as you don't make very many mistakes as far as what the customer receives, you don't get much grief from management. There is also free coffee.

ConsThis company is a soul killer. Expect to be in trouble at the first sign of personality. We are not allowed any personal items in the workplace, such as family pictures (but management are). Also do not expect to ever be truly good at your job. The bar is raised so often, that you will never hit it, not only for the reason that it's high, but that it's so vague that you have no real way of knowing what it is you're supposed to really be doing to improve.
There is also a fairly high amount of talking behind coworkers' backs, both from peers and management alike, including very high-up management. There is also a lot of immaturity and unprofessionalism.
Expect little as far as rewards for good work - Office Depot uses a system of reward cards, similar to how a day care would do for children.

Advice to Senior ManagementProfessionalism goes a long way. Reward hard work with an actual award and set a real standard that employees can strive to achieve.

Bring back the customer focus, internally and externally.

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)
Bellevue, WA

I worked at Office Depot

ProsCompensation and benefits if you are fulltime. It's safe, relatively mindless and OK for someone who jsut needs a paycheck.

ConsSalaried managers get overworked. We keep cutting labor and cutting labor and then we expect to be able to give great customer service? The career options seems limited for somene who wants to move up when the company is struggling to survive. Morale is awful, and that is being nice. We are in desperate need of some real leadership and right or wrong, people are not following Odland. I M H O he needs to be replaced and it needs to be done soon.

Advice to Senior ManagementForget trying to please the street. Please your customers first and the street will follow. YOu are looking at the equation backwards.

Worked for Office Depot? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Office Depot reviews and ratings in Seattle, WA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Office Depot CEO Roland C. Smith. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Office Depot employees.