Office Suites PLUS

Updated Feb 8, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

James C. Baughman

The job I should've never left!

Assistant General Manager (Former Employee)
    Cary, NC

ProsGreat people, great clients, positive, supportive environment.

ConsI would've liked more interaction with upper management.

Terrible place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe clients were the only good part of the job.

ConsManagement staff and above seem to enjoy ruling by fear. The manager at my suite was completely incompetent. Aside from screwing up lease agreements on a regular basis and lying to potential clients she also threatened to doc my pay if clients didn't pay their rent on time. She said this to me in front of our district manager who didn't say a thing about it. Non salaried staff was expected to work overtime for various reasons. No OT and the comp time they promise is extremely hard to use. Pay is terrible for all that is expected from the CSS and DFI. These positions are given all of the managers task so they can "focus on sales" which is code for online shopping. I could go on for at least 5 more paragraphs but I think you get the point.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry being ethical both in your interactions with staff and in sales.

Office Suites PLUS has a fantastic work atmosphere.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Lexington-Fayette, KY

ProsThe management was very encouraging and supportive. They gave considerable thought to keeping everyone satisfied and the mood light. My co-workers were knowledgeable and had a great work ethic.

ConsIt small office so there was not much room for advancement. I stayed on with the business due the great culture but really should have moved on long ago just because of the limitations on growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs with most businesses, communication could be improved.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Job Seekers Beware

Suite Manager (Current Employee)

ProsCompany has some really good managers, but most are under-appreciated and unhappy. Good benefits, but not affordable if you have dependents.

ConsPresident and CEO lives in a 1-inch square box - is rude and obnoxious and runs the company like it's 1960. No vision, no flexibility and refuses to empower those managers who can make a difference. Regional Manager plays favorites and micro-manages. Too many huge egos in this Regus-wannabe company. Small clique of managers along with Regional Manager run the show - way too political and unprofessional - lots of back-stabbing throughout. Very unhealthy culture. Almost 1/3 of the 30-some suites are losing money. President expects clients to keep spending, but no money is put back into the dilapidated suites that need it. Clients and employees keep leaving - company is seriously struggling.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour company is tanking - and you refuse to make changes. What you are doing is not working. Many suites need updating and technology is outdated company-wide. Sell to Regus and put your clients out of their misery.

Some of the best employees out there

ProsI've been very happy with my employment. The team of employees I work with is really great. Buddy Cowgill is a character (and I mean that in a good way).

ConsPresident who can be rather abrasive in dealings with employees. He can be very condescending and belittling. That attitude radiates downward through the organization. The best managers - like mine - are really good at shielding us from the BS from above.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer an incentive plan that's worthwhile. You offer good benefits but at prices I can't afford. Sometimes it's not all about pay. Sometimes, it's about getting a pat on the back for work done well.

Not what it seems!!

Client Support Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsMy individual team was great. Colleagues genuinely want to make a difference and are extremely hard working and dedicated even though we weren't appreciated. Benefits are good.

ConsThe worst! They care nothing about their employees. We were under appreciated. We were micro-managed by people who knew nothing about the actual market in our area. Management can be described as gossipers and they show favoritism and did not provide enough backing for us to do our job. The company is doing poor financially so they cut hours, closed multiple suites and expects unrealistic goals to be made. Decision makers are out of touch with field issues and reality. Employees are afraid to speak out because of fear from being penalized. Oh and don't go to human resources - they will do nothing - just like management, they will listen to you, agree with you and then run back and tell everything you said - no confidentiality there!! The company is reactive - with bad alternatives that affect those not causing the issues instead. Employees are frustrated. This company has high turn-over rates.... I wonder why!?!

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat staff with respect, ask them questions, listen to them, and involve them in decisions that affect the business at the front lines. Stop making panicky, reactive decisions - it's unsettling and gives clients and employees that you don't really have a clue as to what's going on. Also, your model is "our people make the difference" well then treat us like we do! I hope the new management will do this company so good and turn it around!

Poor middle management

General Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe overall leadership of the company as in the board of directors, the primary owners, president, IT department and human resources is great. The vision of the company is solid and the belief by the people mentioned here to put the client first is ideal. The product that the company offers is outstanding and the IT department fixes issues quickly. Overall, the clients get great service, a great product and a great price. The pristine locations for their buildings and the aesthetics really give the image that the client wants. I highly recommend that a client looking for office space select Office Suites PLUS for their executive suite.

ConsI believe that there is a strong disconnect between the people that work at the suites and senior management. The regional managers that are in place have worked with the company for many years and in those years have really failed to change their antiquated perception of the ever changing business world. Instead of understanding each suite and the dynamics behind occupancy challenges, the regional managers berate, humiliate and destroy morale on a weekly basis. If not done through e-mails and weekly sales phone calls it is done individually. There are constant accusations of unethical behavior because the regional managers have failed to “inspect what they expect.” The “team” of regional managers focus their time on gossip and drama in an effort to keep senior management at bay. In reality, they understand how to read reports; however their lack of business savvy is obvious to a recent college graduate. There are no fresh ideas coming into the company that assist General Managers in developing new business and adjusting their sales/management skills to improve the revenue stream.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to senior management: Build a regional team that focuses on inspiring people to sell and in the process bring your company back to what it once was. Dismantle the regional team of mean spirited, condescending, human resource nightmare high school click and GET BACK TO BUSINESS.

Good and Bad!

ProsVery professional work environment, working with professionals / entrepreneurs most of the day, exposure to different types of businesses, decent pay, benefits, paid time off, knowledgeable employees

ConsLet’s motivate employees instead of making them feel they are easily replaced. All focus is on the Suites Managers and other employees are not appreciated for the work they do. Realize that in stead of taking away employee ideas that have worked in the past to replace them with a so called marketing department – where it takes two weeks to a month to get a “so-so” piece of marketing material is a ridiculous waste of money. Also, why not arrange for a better feedback mechanism for lower level employees and actually listen to the feedback and work on those issues. Sales are always more important then integrity here.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate needs to really come and see what is really going on with day to day business at each center. Then once that is done, offer REALISTIC ideas and goals that are efficient in that area. And hey! Once in a while offer appreciation and decent incentives to not only your general managers but to the employees who are actually working their butts off to make the company money - like the Client Support Specialist and the DFI’s (it’s ironic how GM’s make not only a lot more money but as far as the incentive program goes they receive $200+ a office, renewals and increased revenue (easy considering people just walk in and purchase an office- has nothing to do with the GM working for it, while the CSS and DFI only get between $50-$79 and have to work 10x harder – it’s all crazy who they value)).

Micromanagement Hell

Client Support Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsGood pay, benefits, professional atmosphere, great team environment. Depending on the location; Suite Managers can be supportive.

ConsCompany protocols supersede any type of creative feedback from employees. Being an independent thinker isn't exactly a prized attribute for this company. Not only do you have to answer to your immediate manager but the Area Manager will CONSTANTLY micromanage every single aspect of your tasks. Make no mistake about it, you will find yourself explaining your every action to your manager and area manager an unreasonable number of times....Lastly, there is a lot to respect about this company since it is very well run...unfortunately, this entails having a subservient personality to feel you have job security.

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress the disconnect between your expectations and the actual daily responsibilities of each location.

Worked for Office Suites PLUS? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Office Suites PLUS reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Office Suites PLUS CEO James C. Baughman. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Office Suites PLUS employees.