Office of James Burnett

CEO

Current Employee

Current Employee - Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Office of James Burnett full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Quality of work, coworkers and upper management. This firm cultivates a strong team and a creative, studio atmosphere. They work with you to accommodate the direction you want to see your career go, and employees view each other as family. The principals at OJB have great vision and care about their staff.

If you are unwilling to put in the hours required at OJB and other high design firms, then you don't get to work on prestigious, high caliber projects. Unfortunately, that's the industry standard. I am personally very invested in my projects and I get the support I need in order to remain so.

Cons

Yes, the hours are long, but the pay is good.

Good Work Experience with no rewards

I have been working at Office of James Burnett (more than an year)

Pros

High Compensation when you start. Excellent benefits, but its all a candy to get you in. But the amount of hours you finally work per week, this compensation is very low.

Cons

Management is quite poor, very low definition of professional code. Every day you live in stress and very high level of undefined expectations. No work life balance. Most of the promises made by management are either overruled by extreme deadlines, or just ignored. Very high employee turnover rate, most of the work staff is 1-2 yr old, with quite young immature leadership. High rate of sacking. Since, I have joined 4 people have been sacked in two years. If you have/want to have a family, this is not a place for you to work. As a designer your creativity is under overload by office standards, non innovative approach, recycling of design ideas. The are quite arrogant to the current work in profession by other designer. Constant feeling of mistrust and bossiness, use of "f" word in professional atmosphere. After working for 12 hours, no dinner is served or is of lower quality, you work through weekends and get no compensation days.

Office of James Burnett Photos