Office of the Governor of the State of California

Aaron McLear
1 Rating

1. Great!

I have been working at Office of the Governor of the State of California

Pros

wonderful! great! amazing! great programs!

Cons

long hours! working in the box! need more funding!

2. An Intern's Perspective in Constituent Affairs

Former Intern - Constituent Affairs in Sacramento, CA
    Former Intern - Constituent Affairs in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Office of the Governor of the State of California as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- You're working with many other young people. - Senior staff liked to find ways to avoid work (birthday parties, watching soccer games, etc.)

Cons

- You're working with a lot of disgruntled, underpaid, and many times boring people - The office is a literal vacuum of culture most days. Practically no personality.

Advice to Management

Fill the walls with something...anything! I'd much rather look at posters of the governor and U.S. patriotism pieces than nothing at all!

3. Appointments Intern - Good place to start state politics

I worked at Office of the Governor of the State of California

Pros

Politics, obviously. Great people, wonderful supervisors. Everyone looks out for one another

Cons

Sorting mail never ends, phones can be difficult to manage with multiple (upset) callers, formal dress for an otherwise "smart" data entry job

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

5. Fast-Paced, Fun, and Challenging Work Environment in California Governor's Office

Former Intern - Head Legislative Intern in Sacramento, CA
    Former Intern - Head Legislative Intern in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Great experience overall, good work team.

Cons

Late and long nights, but thats what its all about!

6. Great experience working in a professional setting.

I worked at Office of the Governor of the State of California

Pros

Able to work with a very diverse group, many different departments, great benefits, and superb events.

Cons

Very few room for growth, budgets cuts, most if not all employees gets cut after the governor's four year term ends.

7. Great place to work if come in senior enough

I worked at Office of the Governor of the State of California

Pros

The California Governor's Office offers nearly unfettered global access to information, people, and businesses relevant to the functioning of the State's government. You'll get comprehensive benefits and work with very well connected individuals who can help further your career interests. There are few other jobs in which you can see the results of your work on the front page of the LA Times the next morning. Very rewarding.

Cons

During my time in the Governor's Office, I only saw a handful of people earn promotions within the Administration. It was much more common to fill vacant senior positions from other branches of government or the private sector. This limited the mobility of the staff and led to a large amount of turnover.

Advice to Management

The Governor has accomplished some truly historic initiatives during his time in office, and I would work diligently to ensure that the policies put in place are continued into the next administration, especially as involves environmental legislation. Also would appoint a replacement for Chief Justice Ron George before the next governor comes into office.

8. EASY TO GET IN--HARD TO GET OUT--OR UP

Current Employee - Manager I in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Manager I in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Office of the Governor of the State of California

Pros

benefits, training, variety, job security

Cons

If you end up with mangement that are good ol' boys, you are not likely to get promoted if you don't fit in.

Advice to Management

listen to your staff

9. No

Current Employee - IT Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Office of the Governor of the State of California

Pros

Great first line management. Good training if there is time do to under staffing we often miss training opportunities . Good benefits. Opportunities are there but you must be aggressive. Fortunately I am happy with where i currently am.

Cons

Not enough backup in positions. Budget problems. Lack of information that could effect you job or employment. Dress code for employees that work as labor should allow for jeans and tee shirt. We are required to set up and move computers. We have to work in Communication closet and run network cables yet have to wear slacks and collard shirts while performing thies duties

Advice to Management

Keep workers informed of passable decisions that might effect the job. Allow employees in on the decision making process.

10. Could be a nice place to work, but unions and management create a distrust amoung themselfs.

Current Employee - Info. Systems Analyst
    Current Employee - Info. Systems Analyst

I have been working at Office of the Governor of the State of California

Pros

Job Security, benefits and Pension

Cons

Hard to advance. Wages vary among departments for the same Job. larger departments paymore and then smaller departments. Smaller departments payless, for doing the same job as in a larger department and with less support and training. Larger means more important.

Advice to Management

Remove the exam process or centralize it with resources, you already have the interview and probationary period.

11. If you like stress with little outcomes, be part of a politician's office

Current Employee - Senior Staffer in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Staffer in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Office of the Governor of the State of California

Pros

It is fun working for Arnold. He is dynamic and engaging. However, the rest of the Governor's Office it totally disfunctional. Too many opinions. Too much politics. Little emphasis on public policy. The office has disperate opinions and often just those closest to Governor have his ear -- meaning his wife first and his chief of staff second.

Cons

There is no clear direction. It seems that on any given day, there are about 100 fires to put out; literally and figuratively. There are no policies truly committed to. There are a lot of ideas and very poor implementation of those ideas. Working with the legislature is totally ineffective. Most Members have difficulty finding the bathroom, yet alone know how to work toward policies that really help the people. This makes work in the Governor's Office unbelieveably frustrating.

Advice to Management

Develop a plan. Stick to it.

RSS Feed </> Embed