OfficeMax

OfficeMax Reviews in Atlanta, GA

Updated Jan 21, 2014

Roland Smith

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to start as an adolescent

Basic Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Austell, GA

I worked at OfficeMax part-time for more than a year

ProsManagement was always very interested in the wishes, skills and desires of its employees. It was a very clean workplace, and goals were normally clearly detailed.

ConsOccasionally seemed a bit affected, as if they were trying too hard to care. Additionally, whenever there were problems in the store (i.e. customers staying in too late, customers demanding free products, etc.), there seemed to be a lack of any clear solution offered by management.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't try so hard to be "cool" with the employees. Let it flow.

Great job to work and go to school with.

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)
Roswell, GA

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible hours, decent pay, a corporate office that tries to be there for associates.

Consretail, bonuses seem to be paid out slowly, they sometimes don't tell you things till last minute.

Advice to Senior Managementbetter communication at corporate level to make sure things are rolled out properly. More advertisement for ctrl center services. Change goals to a store by store basis.

Stereotypical retail experience.

Sales Associate-cashier (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at OfficeMax part-time for less than a year

ProsIf you get along with management and your fellow co-workers (which I fortunately did) it's not a bad place to work. Fairly flexible scheduling, the opportunity to play with the latest tech toys, and (especially handy if you're in school) a decent employee discount.

ConsYou're expected to push products and warranties that you know are useless. They also have a habit of running vaguely worded promotions which can lead irate and confused customers that believe you're trying to rip them off.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the copy on the promotions so there's no way the general public can misunderstand them. Also the employee incentive program could use tweaking-warranties are not an easy sell in their current package.

Pretty good company as far as retail goes.

Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe benefits are very good. Between 401k, medical and a generous vacation allotment the company take care of you.

ConsConstant change. In search of better processes the company is constantly changing how we do things and unfortunately most time is for the worst.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micro-managing. Empower your people to make decisions. Listen to what the people in the field are actually saying.

The in crowd.

Sale Specialist (Key Holder) (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time for less than a year

ProsFew requirements for hire. Opportunity to learn management skills in a retail environment with business minded customers.

ConsUnrealistic expectations. Metrics that are counter intuitive, and inconsistent with industry trends.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff are human beings, not cattle.

As a Cog, You Are Important to Us

Copy Center (Current Employee)

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe management is eminently flexible when it comes to scheduling and working around your life. If you're in school, they will bend over backwards to accommodate your classes.

Middle management and the company structure is also supremely ethical and safety-obsessed. Playing politics is at a minimum; if your job is in danger, it's because you're not doing the job right. It has nothing to do with who likes you or whether you said something to a manager at the wrong moment. The environment is fairly laid back as long as stuff gets done.

Management has, of late, been making lots of improvements to the company's infrastructure. They're doing lots of tinkering in every department, which has resulted in fixes to a lot of old problems. Whether this continues as OfficeDepot begins to merge is anybody's guess.

ConsThe pay and benefits are the absolute minimum they can get away with. I know some fast food joints whose pay is better. There is almost no upward mobility unless you're good at selling computer replacement plans.

The company professes to value innovation. This is false, at least at the lower levels. Not all rules are enforced all the time, but most are enforced to the letter, and any suggestions for innovations or flexibility are met with indifference at best. The management is not completely tone-deaf, and there has been some change from the top down, although many of the changes that profess to improve employee life aren't that meaningful.

You are expected to play your part without unapproved deviation for minimal pay, but at least they provide donuts and orange juice at the store meetings.

Worked in retailer For over 25 years

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Norcross, GA

I worked at OfficeMax full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVacation/sick time can be joined

ConsCould care less about customer service

Advice to Senior ManagementAt the store I worked at in Georgia there was no customer service training.
If a customer asked were is a notebook they were told row six on the left.
Never walking them there! Even managers did this!
Customers might as well go to Walmart !
This would drive me nuts.
Giving the customer. The total answer was never part of training or practice !
How can you have add on sales with out this.

I'd rather be a slave.

Sales Consultant (Former Employee)
Austell, GA

I worked at OfficeMax part-time for more than a year

ProsThere is a 20 word minimum? Let's see... None, none, none. Nope, still can't think of anything good.

ConsTerrible hours, mediocre pay, horrible management on store and corporate levels, constantly driving numbers in your face, impatient customers, and an uncanny ability to teach their sales associates and consultants to annoy everyone that walks through the door.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncentives go a long way for part-timers, and full-timers if you want to keep someone working for the company. Start with something better than a 10 cent raise every year.

Worked for OfficeMax? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at OfficeMax reviews and ratings in Atlanta, GA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for OfficeMax CEO Roland Smith. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by OfficeMax employees.