OfficeMax

www.officemax.com

OfficeMax Reviews in Atlanta, GA

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Roland Smith

Pros
  • The work-life balance changed with the season (in 25 reviews)

• Most of the associates that you work with are fun to work around (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Naperville HQ closing as position relocate to new Office Depot Office Max HR in Boca Raton (in 38 reviews)

• During that period the number of upper management roles continued to grow (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights
12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good Place To Work

Electronics Department Manager (Current Employee) Buford, GA

ProsManagement is flexible in scheduling and considers employee based needs in regards to hourly adjustment as necessity demands.

ConsI have no complaints with store operations or management

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement or increase employee discount program.

Good for a long time and now not so much

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Roswell, GA

ProsWork/life balance, the people I work with

ConsPay, Corporate not being realistic, merger, High Turnover due to horrible pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your bottom tier associates better. I'm a manager and can't constantly replace employees with unskilled employees because we refuse to pay the people that work for us.

Office Max

Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

Prosflex hours
    can be a relaxing place to work
    you do get spiffs

Consupper managaement has not idea what they are doing
    no true focus
    not enough merchandise to compete with Best Buy

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the stores before making a broad decision

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun coworkers and generally low-stress environment.

Cashier (Current Employee) Buford, GA

ProsMy store is a quiet, relaxing place to work most of the time. The customers are usually very friendly and understanding, and my coworkers make my job that much more fun! This is a great job to start out with. Even in our busiest seasons (Back-to-School and Christmas) it's a job you can handle. Started working at sixteen and didn't have a hard time adapting.

ConsMicromanagers, annoying/ride customers. During dead hours it can get kind of boring. There really isn't much to complain about!

Advice to Senior ManagementTake what the employees say to heart. We do not waste out breath just to spite corporate.

The in crowd.

Sale Specialist (Key Holder) (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsFew requirements for hire. Opportunity to learn management skills in a retail environment with business minded customers.

ConsUnrealistic expectations. Metrics that are counter intuitive, and inconsistent with industry trends.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff are human beings, not cattle.

As a Cog, You Are Important to Us

Copy Center (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe management is eminently flexible when it comes to scheduling and working around your life. If you're in school, they will bend over backwards to accommodate your classes.

Middle management and the company structure is also supremely ethical and safety-obsessed. Playing politics is at a minimum; if your job is in danger, it's because you're not doing the job right. It has nothing to do with who likes you or whether you said something to a manager at the wrong moment. The environment is fairly laid back as long as stuff gets done.

Management has, of late, been making lots of improvements to the company's infrastructure. They're doing lots of tinkering in every department, which has resulted in fixes to a lot of old problems. Whether this continues as OfficeDepot begins to merge is anybody's guess.

ConsThe pay and benefits are the absolute minimum they can get away with. I know some fast food joints whose pay is better. There is almost no upward mobility unless you're good at selling computer replacement plans.

The company professes to value innovation. This is false, at least at the lower levels. Not all rules are enforced all the time, but most are enforced to the letter, and any suggestions for innovations or flexibility are met with indifference at best. The management is not completely tone-deaf, and there has been some change from the top down, although many of the changes that profess to improve employee life aren't that meaningful.

You are expected to play your part without unapproved deviation for minimal pay, but at least they provide donuts and orange juice at the store meetings.

Great place to start as an adolescent

Basic Sales Associate (Former Employee) Austell, GA

ProsManagement was always very interested in the wishes, skills and desires of its employees. It was a very clean workplace, and goals were normally clearly detailed.

ConsOccasionally seemed a bit affected, as if they were trying too hard to care. Additionally, whenever there were problems in the store (i.e. customers staying in too late, customers demanding free products, etc.), there seemed to be a lack of any clear solution offered by management.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't try so hard to be "cool" with the employees. Let it flow.

Worked in retailer For over 25 years

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Norcross, GA

ProsVacation/sick time can be joined

ConsCould care less about customer service

Advice to Senior ManagementAt the store I worked at in Georgia there was no customer service training.
    If a customer asked were is a notebook they were told row six on the left.
    Never walking them there! Even managers did this!
    Customers might as well go to Walmart !
    This would drive me nuts.
    Giving the customer. The total answer was never part of training or practice !
    How can you have add on sales with out this.

Great job to work and go to school with.

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Roswell, GA

ProsFlexible hours, decent pay, a corporate office that tries to be there for associates.

Consretail, bonuses seem to be paid out slowly, they sometimes don't tell you things till last minute.

Advice to Senior Managementbetter communication at corporate level to make sure things are rolled out properly. More advertisement for ctrl center services. Change goals to a store by store basis.

I'd rather be a slave.

Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Austell, GA

ProsThere is a 20 word minimum? Let's see... None, none, none. Nope, still can't think of anything good.

ConsTerrible hours, mediocre pay, horrible management on store and corporate levels, constantly driving numbers in your face, impatient customers, and an uncanny ability to teach their sales associates and consultants to annoy everyone that walks through the door.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncentives go a long way for part-timers, and full-timers if you want to keep someone working for the company. Start with something better than a 10 cent raise every year.

Worked for OfficeMax? Contribute to the Community!