OfficeMax
www.officemax.com Naperville, IL 5000+ Employees

OfficeMax Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Roland Smith

Pros:
  • "The work-life balance changed with the season"
    in 24 reviews
  • "I worked at OfficeMax to get through college so the flexible schedule of retail worked for me"
    in 32 reviews
Cons:
  • "During that period the number of upper management roles continued to grow"
    in 32 reviews
  • "Naperville HQ closing as position relocate to new Office Depot Office Max HR in Boca Raton"
    in 31 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Just walk away!

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGood pay. Good vacation time. I used to love the people I worked with but most are leaving or have left.

ConsBad management. Disorganized and huge lack of resources to do your job. Everyday presents a challenge and not a good one. The company constantly rolls out new initiatives that are unsupported and very little info sent to stores. We are overwhelmed with deadlines and expectations everyday. The job is impossible. I have a successful store but it is a never ending battle to keep it that way.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your expectations simple and issue stores the resources and the information BEFORE setting unreasonable expectations. We are buried at store level day in and day out. It's simple. You want us to repair this many pcs a day. Here is your training. Here is your advertising means. Here is your payroll to actually accomplish this. We can get it done. Pile on 15 more services with little to no training and no additional payroll, it won't happen. You will never be successful.

Meh

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood for people without job experience. Great for high school kids.

ConsMiserable people, never directly recognize good work, won't promote without YEARS of experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually give raises to people, stop taking your job too seriously; it's OfficeMax.

Merger was a lie!!

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsIt was a great company until the merger with Office Depot. Now it's going down the tubes. Don't go work for either company in management. You won't like it.

ConsThe merger with Office Depot was a joke. It was called a merger of equals. Hogwash. All the changes are Office Depot slanted and Max associates are getting the shaft.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No Direction

Business Development Representative (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsI really cant take anything positive away from this experience, wish I hadn't left my old job....

ConsNo Direction
    No Training
    Horrible Commission Structure
    Just recently started using a CRM

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to run a sales organization.

Most ethical company!!! Not!

ProsIf you like working long hours and no recognition from support or corporate then this is the place for you. Most ethical company!!! No it's not. Awesome five years ago. Now if you want to work for someone with a Napoleon complex, then work here in Detroit. That's what all the store managers tell me.

ConsNone. We get to work every holiday including Easter now. That's awesome. My family loves it. Lol.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and customers. Stop hiring management from other companies where they have failed. Ps. Now that I don't work here I have found that prices are soooo much cheaper everywhere else.

Micro manager to death

ProsLove my job and my team.

ConsStore manager has no clue of the role of her Impress team and what we (printing) bring to the company. Without the print department, the store would fail.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet off your high horse and get a clue.

Don't work for OfficeMax aka Office Depot Inc.

(Former Employee)

ProsGetting to meet customers and helping to satisfy their needs, coworkers that wasn't management, being able to meet reps from other companies(Epson, HP, Toshiba, Lenovo, etc...)

ConsShorted staffed, not enough payroll to get expected workload done. Training is horrible in the company you get thrown to the wolves without training. Learn by trial and error! Do not take care of their Retail employees at all nor do they care. They strive to be like Costco, Disney, and Southwest but will never achieve the way these companies are run because they will never take care of their core employees(Retail workers)

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you think you can run a store with 3 employees even 2 at times by all means please come work the stores and show us how it is done. Work weekends and holidays like you make your retail employees work instead of letting them enjoy it with their families.Try given more payroll and stop breaking the backs of the core people of your company the Retail employees. I have been in retail for a while and this was the worst company I have worked for in my career!! Try cutting your pay/bonuses and reward the people that make the company money because you are losing talented, loyal, and hard working employees. Maybe take a few notes from Lenovo's CEO bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-01/lenovo-chief-yang-shares-bonus-with-workers-for-second-year, keeping your core employees happy will increase sales and profit.

Going nowhere fast

Impress Associate (Former Employee)
    Willoughby, OH

ProsIt's a brown nose game at OfficeMax. If management likes you they give you hours, if not they give the kids who are living with their parents more hours than the single person who has bills and responsibilities. This works out for good if you have other means of making money and allows for flexibility in finding other employment or going to school.

ConsNot enough hours. Went from 32 hours to 19 hours and they had no real reason why. Then turn around and ask me to cover for another employee with overtime. Management lied a lot. If you are not looking to do anything better with your life, OMX may be the company for you. If you have goals and dreams, don't let OfficeMax stand in the way. Kids operating in mgt who are clueless about life and running a store. They would rather hire someone with NO experience to run the copy center than keep someone who was honest, hardworking and knowledgeable.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making people kiss butt and brown nose. You have a lot of thieves that you discover way too late working in and outside of the company and the honest employees get the book thrown at them for simple infractions.

Terrible company...

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Kannapolis, NC

ProsNice and energetic co-workers who care.

ConsTerrible work environment, horrible management.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees.

Wasn't fun

Content Specialist (Former Employee)
    Naperville, IL

ProsThe pay was okay, I guess.

ConsI heard a lot of people complaining about how much they didn't like their jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementI may have been a temp, but make sure the supervisors don't just abandon their temps and leave them in an empty corner space with no interaction.

Worked for OfficeMax? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at OfficeMax reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for OfficeMax CEO Roland Smith. All 934 reviews posted anonymously by OfficeMax employees.