OfficeMax

www.officemax.com

OfficeMax Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Roland Smith

Pros
  • The work-life balance changed with the season(in 25 reviews)

• Most of the associates that you work with are fun to work around(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Naperville HQ closing as position relocate to new Office Depot Office Max HR in Boca Raton(in 38 reviews)

• During that period the number of upper management roles continued to grow(in 36 reviews)

Officemax is a great company, just need to be in a good area.

Sales Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits, training, compensation were all very good.

ConsOfficemax was not competitive enough in a market that needed to be flexible with its pricing. Very hard to sell contracts when your pricing can not come close or match.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to be more competitive with your pricing , or your customers will go somewhere else.

Good

Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Willmar, MN

ProsIt's not hard work. most of the time fun

ConsKnowledge of all the products

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people under them for advice

Everyone is very friendly, very laid back, never super busy, except for back to school, then its hell.

Sales Associate - Office Max (Current Employee) Anchorage, AK

ProsThe staff and managers are on the same level, the managers work just as hard as the sales associates.

Consthere was no really bad things about working here and i just need to fill the 20 word requirement.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more advertisement of the protection and replacement plans. Make them more well known.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was an overall great experience.

BSA (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsI worked with great people, there was always something to do, and they value their ethics.

ConsSome employees didn't perform their jobs properly.

A lot of standing around

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery relaxed environment because most of the time there was nothing substantial to do so.

ConsNo real opportunities to grow skillset, No responsibilities that were remotely challenging or demanding

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust that sales associates can do more than just stand around and point in the right direction for customers. The employee hierarchy was really annoying to work with.

Good Job and Co-Workers, Bad Corporate Management

Store Associate (Current Employee) Cambridge, MN

ProsI have grown and gained experience in a variety of areas from working at this company. The company encourages employees to learn about all aspects of the store.

ConsAll instructions given from corporate seem backwards. The raises given yearly are very small as well. Everything that should be a small task turns out to be a long and drawn out task due to the way that corporate wants things to be done.

Their expectations are the worst

Impress Associate (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsIf you like putting projects together, working with Photoshop, and taking on challenging printing jobs, then it's fun working at ImPress. Every project is different and making customers happy is awesome!

ConsManagement expects you to bundle services with every purchase and offer their loyalty program with every single customer. It's almost impossible to try to get a customer to get a loyalty card when they're making one 10 cent copy or sending a fax. Basically if a customer is making a purchase under $20, you will not get them to sign. Regardless, there are no valid excuses you can make.

Advice to Senior ManagementStore cashiers have an easier time selling the loyalty card because people spend a lot on anything that's not paper. When it comes to impress, it's almost impossible. Please fix the impress loyalty ratios.

Unhappy

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Maple Grove, MN

ProsTechnology in the stores is really cool. I love helping out the customers, co-workers are fantastic to work with

ConsManagement is absolute crap. Hours are very weak... Business is slow but being a freshman into college with a lot of expenses, the hours are very terrible. Management thinks I am a novice even though I do well in sales and customer service.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to understand I am not a novice or inexperienced worker even though i do well in sales and customer service

Never met a group of young people as lazy as this group

Sales Associate - Office Max (Current Employee) Kenosha, WI

ProsWell lit facility. Great clients.

ConsRude and lazy employees/management
    Employee discount is low
    A/C didnt work well
    Boring
    Too many employees standing around all day

Advice to Senior ManagementEnvelopes are too expensive. A lot of customers complain.

Horrible and delightful.

Category Manager (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsWell one of the good things working for the company is advancement if you know how to brown nose.

ConsWell working for the higher ups there is no respect. The company let's the consumer make pricing decision causing the company to lose money and then when they don't hit there goal your to blame.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more considerate of your employees as well sometimes things are just out of our control

Worked for OfficeMax? Contribute to the Community!