OfficeMax
www.officemax.com Naperville, IL 5000+ Employees

OfficeMax Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Roland Smith

Pros:
  • "The work-life balance changed with the season"
    in 24 reviews
  • "I worked at OfficeMax to get through college so the flexible schedule of retail worked for me"
    in 32 reviews
Cons:
  • "During that period the number of upper management roles continued to grow"
    in 32 reviews
  • "Naperville HQ closing as position relocate to new Office Depot Office Max HR in Boca Raton"
    in 31 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

You are simply a slave.

Store Associate (Current Employee)
    Raleigh, NC

Prosreally depends on the manager you work with.

ConsBasically Office Depot with OfficeMax logo.
    Store Key Holders get paid only slightly higher than associates
    Make you push phoney service and warranty plans.
    Make you push technology services that can be done at home for free.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your associate better, or atleast give them a better incentive to sell your crappy max assurance plans. .30 a plan is crap.

Good first job for sales or print experience, not recommended for a career.

Impress Associate (Current Employee)
    Williamsville, NY

ProsI was in school to become a graphic designer, and it taught me a lot about the print industry, however office Max furthered my experience, and helped me get my foot in the door of the field.

ConsLacks management, and when it comes to print center, the managers of some don't actually have degrees, and know very little about other design related jobs.. They give you the software to design amazing things, but you have to refer everything to the kiosk, and office Max pays another company to design that. Therefore needing less graphic designers.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers who think more about the structure of the store, and how it's run, rather than someone who only sees an employee as payroll.

Frustrating. My co-workers were enjoyable to work with but the pay was low, and the work frustrating.

Impress Supervisor (Key) (Current Employee)
    Memphis, TN

ProsWilling to work with my schedule, customers are occasionally interesting people, especially non-contract customers.

ConsLow pay, dishonest about bonuses, sporadic hours, low raises or no raise at all for good work and increase in responsibilities. Company does not treat their employees well: open for Thanksgiving Day and Easter, no raises, lowering SPIFF amounts for commission sales. Poor corporate/company values, for inside and outside the workplace.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Comparable to most Fortune 500 employers

Director (Current Employee)
    Naperville, IL

ProsLarge company offers opportunities for advancement

ConsBusiness model is in secular decline. Need major new ideas for survival.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying every silly idea Sales proposes. Do your homework before spending money chasing pipe dreams.

The office supplies and services Industry has been declining and the company has been attempting to reinvent itself.

Manager (Former Employee)
    Naperville, IL

ProsThe work-life balance changed with the season. Back-to-school, holiday (4th quarter) and project deadlines increased the work. People could usually spend less time working once each ended.

ConsFewer corporate vacation days than the last company where I worked. Sick time and vacation days were bundled together in one bank of time.

Store leader

ProsGreat experience builder and selling culture

ConsLong hours, diffucult sales goals, dying business model

Very positive

Sales Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsStrong b2b culture and customer focus

Conslots of change over the past few years

Advice to Senior ManagementStay focused on the customer

Office Max

Operations Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

Prosflex hours
    can be a relaxing place to work
    you do get spiffs

Consupper managaement has not idea what they are doing
    no true focus
    not enough merchandise to compete with Best Buy

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the stores before making a broad decision

Management always looked over my shoulder and questioned what I did.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Bakersfield, CA

Pros- You learn about different types of paper...

Cons- If you don't sell insurance, you get a lot of grief and blame for not selling.
    - A lot of role-playing to teach you how to something you already know.
    - Management changes a lot.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep a closer eye on general management and allow better equal opportunities.

You are just a number

Impress Associate (Current Employee)
    Utica, MI

ProsThe only good thing that I got out of working there was more experience with customer service and more experience in graphic design. I also learned what not to do as a manager.

ConsYou are just a number, they don't care how you feel about anything. Horrible leadership choices, at my last location with the company, the manager promoted an associate who had only been with the company for two months and was acting as an interim manager, during that time, the department fell horribly. Not only was everything disorganized but policies were not being followed. When I told management, nothing happened. I was used to train her how to do her job correctly and then once she was promoted my hours were cut. I quit shortly after. When I reported everything to upper management, I never even got a call back. Proving even further how little they care about their employees. I will never set foot in one of these stores ever again.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some people that actually know how to do their job and actually want to help not only their customers but also their employees.

Worked for OfficeMax? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at OfficeMax reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for OfficeMax CEO Roland Smith. All 936 reviews posted anonymously by OfficeMax employees.