OfficeMax

1,076 Reviews
2.9
1,076 Reviews

Roland Smith

Pros
  • Work-life balance and time-off policies used to be pretty fair (in 33 reviews)

• Had a reasonably flexible schedule if you knew what you were doing (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Currently Office Depot merger has created a big loss of jobs for many OfficeMax employees (in 47 reviews)

• During that period the number of upper management roles continued to grow (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

108 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It was an OK experinece

Former Employee - International Staff Accountant in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - International Staff Accountant in Naperville, IL

I worked at OfficeMax

Pros

They had nice headquarters in Naperville

Cons

Management, and lack of training.

Very relaxing

Current Employee - Ecommerce Developer in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Ecommerce Developer in Naperville, IL

I have been working at OfficeMax

Pros

Nice corporation atmosphere, relaxing, and very well structured process.

Cons

Too many last minute changes on projects that would deploy the next day or on the current day. The communication and approval for certain projects needs faster response times.

Keep the approval process to a minimal amount of people.

This was an organization with great potential, but economic pressures and lack of visionary leadership destroyed it.

Former Employee - Director of Sales in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Director of Sales in Naperville, IL

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The legacy personnel from Boise and OfficeMax are, on balance, a huge asset. Quality people and a commitment to ethics create great potential.

Cons

The executive culture was terminally risk averse which created a company that was not nimble enough to compete effectively.

Small changes will not win the day and listening to Wall Street may keep you in your role temporarily but will not create a viable organization long-term. Focus on M&A of complimentary businesses and reinvent the client experience.

Fun place to work good location and plenty of opportunities within the company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to move up within the company.
    Relaxed dress code.
    Company focus on volunteerism.

Cons

Lots of turnover in management/upper management...in the 5 years I worked there, they had 2 major layoffs, reorganized our department twice, got a new CFO, had our department's chief exec leave twice and did not have a director or chief exec (the 2 highest positions in our area) over our department for an extended period of time. Our CEO also left.

Offer better benefits.

Great Work Community

Current Employee - Staff Accountant I in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant I in Naperville, IL

I have been working at OfficeMax as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I work as a contract accountant in the Sales & Margin section of Finance department and people were very friendly and personable. The work was complex but achievable and the deadlines weren't too bad, with the exception of period close. Good pay for contract work and my supervisor was particularly understanding of the need for work-life balance, and that's not really something I've found elsewhere.

Cons

The part of my job that dealt with sales managers was never fun because they will go against the contract just to please a customer, even if it's to the detriment of the company. That, and with the merger people were a bit forlorn because their jobs will be ending after the new year.

Ghost town now that merger has been approved and synergies taking place

Former Employee - Senior Director in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Naperville, IL

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good people overall. Dedicated and solid desire to compete in the marketplace.

Cons

Not many "people" managers. Management mostly individual contributors, not leaders of people. Compensation was Ok, benefits not so great. Lack of overall leadership, especially now that the merger has taken place with Office Depot. Very few people left in Naperville.

Close down Naperville sooner rather than later, but adhere to the severances offered to those currently still there. Not a very positive place as more and more people leave,

Not exactly disorganized, but lots of moving parts, not always meshing

Former Employee - IT Manager in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Naperville, IL

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compensation was good, and most of the people were great. Company was getting mature -- ARGs were a great idea. The stores were actually well done and attractive. Employees received in-store benefits. HQ folks generally had decent hours -- not a lot of "death marches".

Cons

Would have benefited from better project governance and portfolio management.
    Consultant project teams were just so-so. Needed better selection and definitely better oversight.
    Depot merger...

Do well for those being separated.

Great company culture and experience

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Naperville, IL

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was straight out of school and they hired me, i learned a lot and gained invaluable experience. some pros are that they have awesome lunch and learns for you to work on your soft skills, they have an open door policy and very transparent upper management.

Cons

Theres not really anywhere to go "up the ladder" your either developer, lead developer or Manager.

A long road with a bad ending.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Naperville, IL

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working hours, People you work with in store.

Cons

To many changing ideas. Too much time spent changing things not enough focusing on the customer.

Good company and culture with Sam and Ravi as leaders

Former Employee - Manager in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Naperville, IL

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to advance. Benefits were average. Great culture with relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

Industry is struggling so making the numbers was tough. There were years without pay increases to conserve cash.

Merger communication to associates was not accurate as a result many associates are suffering. Leadership spoke about selecting the best systems, best process and best people to represent the new organization. If that was true, many were confused how the company could select the ODP home grown legacy systems (many, many applicants with bridging data) to represent the future verse a scale-able robust system like SAP which as the primary system at OMX. Leadership knew everything was going south but played the game to keep the OMX associates from jumping ship. I hope they enjoy ODP Google mail over OMX Outlook that they transitioned to.

OfficeMax Photos