OfficeMax

www.officemax.com

OfficeMax Reviews in Naperville, IL

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Roland Smith

Pros
  • The work-life balance changed with the season(in 25 reviews)

• Most of the associates that you work with are fun to work around(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Naperville HQ closing as position relocate to new Office Depot Office Max HR in Boca Raton(in 38 reviews)

• During that period the number of upper management roles continued to grow(in 36 reviews)

95 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great working environment with potential for to expand knowledge

Pricing Analyst I (Former Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsThe managers always had an open door policy, and were happy to talk with you about anything. All of my co-workers were always willing and eager to help me learn, whether it was about how to best approach a new project or steps you can take to make your current project easier and faster. Basically, the people were very friendly and always willing to help. Once I even had a co-worker realize my plate was getting too full so she offered to manage one of my projects until I finished up the harder ones. No, the manager was not involved at all. Although I told the manager when I recommended the employee for the monthly MVP contest.

The department is huge and highly encouraged celebrating birthdays, so almost on a weekly basis, there would be treats for all the employees to enjoy and decorated cubicles. :)

ConsI really can't complain about this job. I regret leaving and I honestly wish I stayed with the company. I resigned to pursue my life dream of attending Law School. I'm now done with law school, drowning in debt and no job to show for it. This was a great place to work, opportunity to move up if you wanted as long as you proved you can handle the responsibilities. Great Pay, Management always gave you a benefit of the doubt and were understanding.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to the Pricing Department managers: Continue to rock the Pricing department.

Good people, but lack of direction

Communications (Former Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsPeople were usually interested in helping each other to succeed. The company also encouraged new thinking.

ConsThey never really stuck with an approach long enough for it to take root.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick to the plan. Also, stop firing people just because you had a bad quarter.

Depends on your team

Senior Manager Information Technology (Former Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsThe company has some surprising pockets of brilliance among the mediocrity. Personally, I worked for a great team and within the walls of my team it was one of the best jobs I've had. Bonus is decent when paid out.

ConsCompany has some old habits ingrained in the culture that it can't get rid of. There is some back stabbing behavior set down by some VPs when teams with competing interests engage. Overall there is not a good sense of doing the right thing for the company versus doing the right thing for my team and to make me look good. Its not universal, but its there and can't be ignored. Du

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany requires a cultural shift and combative behavior which service the interest of the self needs to be fleshed out. Sr leadership needs to utilize VPs to enforce this downward.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best job I have had so far. Great boss and high profile position and learn about entire organization quickly.

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsGood people, training, location, pay and opportunities to move up.

ConsSome training is lacking such as how to create PO's and knowing all the key players by business area is somtimes a challenge.

Advice to Senior ManagementMentor program would be beneficial in identifying key people to help become promotable.

Great place to start a new career

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsVery collaborative and welcoming co-workers

ConsHeadquarters move due to the merger with Office Depot

Antiquated and scrambling

Pricing Analyst I (Former Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsLot of change & turnover so getting in was easy

ConsPressure to perform without corresponding pay. Outperformers not rewarded

Advice to Senior ManagementTake of your people, salaries should be competitive

Great company

Supply Planner (Current Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsGreat, supportive and flexible working environment.

ConsMerge with Office Depot, headquarters consolidating in Florida.

Comparable to most Fortune 500 employers

Director (Current Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsLarge company offers opportunities for advancement

ConsBusiness model is in secular decline. Need major new ideas for survival.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying every silly idea Sales proposes. Do your homework before spending money chasing pipe dreams.

The office supplies and services Industry has been declining and the company has been attempting to reinvent itself.

Manager (Former Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsThe work-life balance changed with the season. Back-to-school, holiday (4th quarter) and project deadlines increased the work. People could usually spend less time working once each ended.

ConsFewer corporate vacation days than the last company where I worked. Sick time and vacation days were bundled together in one bank of time.

Great company prior to merger with ODP.

Director (Former Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsGreat leadership and challenging work environment

ConsLack of vision and achievable long-term plan.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice at this point. All execs are gone.

Worked for OfficeMax? Contribute to the Community!