OfficeMax Reviews

1,033 Reviews
2.9
1,033 Reviews

Roland Smith

Pros
  • Work-life balance and time-off policies used to be pretty fair (in 32 reviews)

• I worked at OfficeMax to get through college so the flexible schedule of retail worked for me (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Currently Office Depot merger has created a big loss of jobs for many OfficeMax employees (in 44 reviews)

• During that period the number of upper management roles continued to grow (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

Before the Merger with Office Depot

Current Employee - Strategic Account Manager
    Current Employee - Strategic Account Manager

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very fun atmosphere to work in. I always felt i had the support of not only my upper management but also the employees I interacted with within my own job responsibility as an account manager.

Cons

As with any large organization, sometimes the bureaucratic red tape can seem daunting at times in order to get things accomplished on big deals. The true success however is understanding who the key people are within those various corporate departments and then utilizing your connection with them, in getting things done.

Their focus was on Office Products, as it should be in that it was the major percent of overall business. Sometimes though other divisions had to be appreciated for what they brought to the table in the overall success of the organization. There were concerns that if it wasn't "office products" it didn't really matter. For those of us in those other divisions...it did.

Floor sales

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Temple, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Temple, TX

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good experience and great working hours for those in school ( high school or college )

Cons

Not a lot of money

Better Communication and promote up more often

Marketing

I worked at OfficeMax

Pros

had great camaraderie and cultural values

Cons

no pros remaining as such

Excellent

Former Employee - Cashier in Mayaguez, PR
    Former Employee - Cashier in Mayaguez, PR

I worked at OfficeMax part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good Managers, excellent work environment. Is a great place to work.

Cons

Base salary. I don't have any other cons...

Beneficial to my future job opportunities

Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at this job makes for many memories with a wonderful staff of employees. Teamwork is very important within associates. Customer Service has become my strong suit thanks to this company

Cons

Managers expect the job to be our lives. The quotas you have to make seem more important sometimes than you as an employee of the company. In the end its all about the numbers.

Never let the quotas and numbers side track you from how important your team is.

Sales Associate

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time

Pros

Depending on the store, the management team ROCKS!

Cons

Corporate has no clue what is going on down in the store level.

This was an organization with great potential, but economic pressures and lack of visionary leadership destroyed it.

Former Employee - Director of Sales in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Director of Sales in Naperville, IL

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The legacy personnel from Boise and OfficeMax are, on balance, a huge asset. Quality people and a commitment to ethics create great potential.

Cons

The executive culture was terminally risk averse which created a company that was not nimble enough to compete effectively.

Small changes will not win the day and listening to Wall Street may keep you in your role temporarily but will not create a viable organization long-term. Focus on M&A of complimentary businesses and reinvent the client experience.

Fun place to work good location and plenty of opportunities within the company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to move up within the company.
    Relaxed dress code.
    Company focus on volunteerism.

Cons

Lots of turnover in management/upper management...in the 5 years I worked there, they had 2 major layoffs, reorganized our department twice, got a new CFO, had our department's chief exec leave twice and did not have a director or chief exec (the 2 highest positions in our area) over our department for an extended period of time. Our CEO also left.

Offer better benefits.

Great Work Community

Current Employee - Staff Accountant I in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant I in Naperville, IL

I have been working at OfficeMax as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I work as a contract accountant in the Sales & Margin section of Finance department and people were very friendly and personable. The work was complex but achievable and the deadlines weren't too bad, with the exception of period close. Good pay for contract work and my supervisor was particularly understanding of the need for work-life balance, and that's not really something I've found elsewhere.

Cons

The part of my job that dealt with sales managers was never fun because they will go against the contract just to please a customer, even if it's to the detriment of the company. That, and with the merger people were a bit forlorn because their jobs will be ending after the new year.

Good Company for advancement

I have been working at OfficeMax

Pros

With the merger between OfficeMax and Office Depot, the focus has been internally promoting and development of their team.

Cons

The balance of work and life are hard to manage with amount of changes and expectations during the merger.

OfficeMax Photos

Officemax in Lewisville, TX. Hope this helps you find this place.
overstock