OfficeMax

www.officemax.com

OfficeMax Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Roland Smith

Pros
  • The work-life balance changed with the season(in 25 reviews)

• Most of the associates that you work with are fun to work around(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Naperville HQ closing as position relocate to new Office Depot Office Max HR in Boca Raton(in 38 reviews)

• During that period the number of upper management roles continued to grow(in 36 reviews)

Love the Company

Sales Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsI like how the company cares about its associates, as well as the customers. You are recognized for your accomplishments.

ConsThe company is too driven on selling protection plans on electronics. Some customers just don't want them. The merger is devaluing employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementWorry less about making numbers for the day and focus on the customer experience.

Better pay than other companies with same position

Distribution Specialist (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsThey actually offer competitive pay similar positions of other companies are considerably less maybe by 35%, some company bbqs, work shoe allowance of $100 each year, mostly friendly work environment.

ConsConstant broken promises, doesnt directly answer questions, frequent schedule change, madatory overtime for everyone including part timers, always tries to blame worker if something didnt go as they wanted.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the good pay. Offer more chances to move up in the company if motivated. Train employees better when first hired and then also have refreshers training too. Dont hire part time if youre going to later force them to work a 40 hour week that is deceiving to the applicant. Stop threatening to fire so often because frequent schedule changes with little to no notice is given is hard to live with because people have other commitments such as 2nd job or kids school pick up.

Routine

Cashier (Former Employee) Greenwood, SC

ProsSame job no real surprises

Consthere are never enough people on staff

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great working environment with potential for to expand knowledge

Pricing Analyst I (Former Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsThe managers always had an open door policy, and were happy to talk with you about anything. All of my co-workers were always willing and eager to help me learn, whether it was about how to best approach a new project or steps you can take to make your current project easier and faster. Basically, the people were very friendly and always willing to help. Once I even had a co-worker realize my plate was getting too full so she offered to manage one of my projects until I finished up the harder ones. No, the manager was not involved at all. Although I told the manager when I recommended the employee for the monthly MVP contest.

The department is huge and highly encouraged celebrating birthdays, so almost on a weekly basis, there would be treats for all the employees to enjoy and decorated cubicles. :)

ConsI really can't complain about this job. I regret leaving and I honestly wish I stayed with the company. I resigned to pursue my life dream of attending Law School. I'm now done with law school, drowning in debt and no job to show for it. This was a great place to work, opportunity to move up if you wanted as long as you proved you can handle the responsibilities. Great Pay, Management always gave you a benefit of the doubt and were understanding.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to the Pricing Department managers: Continue to rock the Pricing department.

Merger with Office Depot changing culture of company-ratings are based on 2014 status.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHeadquarters support in Naperville, Illinois was excellent-too soon to tell how support will be out of Boca Raton, Florida.
    Competitive pay and benefits.

ConsMerger of equals leans more towards Office Depot systems and policies.
    More store and facility closures leading to more layoffs.

Stable job but not efficent

Print Center Supervisor (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsTypical retail, can have a flexible schedule. Paid holidays and vacation. Pay is decent if you are full-time.

ConsCan be overwhelming with work load to be accomplished with low payroll allowed. Not very family oriented for employees - now only closed on Christmas, but probably not for much longer.

Good for College Students

Store Associate (Former Employee) Chandler, AZ

ProsFlexible hours and understanding managers, team environment, entry sales/retail experience available and learning potential in retail/business.

ConsPoor management of logistics, little to no hands on training, inconsistent training, pushy when it comes to making sales, and overrated notions of high quality in the store's products. OfficeDepot merger is also confusing because corporate and local stores do not have open communication so the managers cannot properly train and explain changes with their associates. Often times the communication can be vague and employees are left to fill in the blanks themselves with insufficient background knowledge.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent in your communication with employees and include better hands on training methods.

Okay, Just started.

ProsA job is a job
    Slow if you like that sort of thing

ConsBoring.
    Customers are always right no matter what

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Merger with Office Depot is cutting 20K+ jobs

Strategic Account Manager (Former Employee)

ProsAfter 15+ years employment with them, I accrued close to 6 weeks paid vacation with all the benefits. Management is remote and you have a lot of freedom by working from your home office. They reimburse expenses including mileage, phone, customer lunches etc. and also gave a nice severance package due to the length of my employment.

ConsOffice products are considered a commodity, and margins were extremely low. Difficult to compete with other big box and Amazon. I survived 3 mergers and re organizations, but didn't make the last cut of 80% in our region.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your resumes updated. More changes to come.

Good for a long time and now not so much

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Roswell, GA

ProsWork/life balance, the people I work with

ConsPay, Corporate not being realistic, merger, High Turnover due to horrible pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your bottom tier associates better. I'm a manager and can't constantly replace employees with unskilled employees because we refuse to pay the people that work for us.

Worked for OfficeMax? Contribute to the Community!