OfficeMax Reviews

1,024 Reviews
2.9
1,024 Reviews

Roland Smith

Pros
  • In my group they understand work life balance (in 30 reviews)

• I worked at OfficeMax to get through college so the flexible schedule of retail worked for me (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Currently Office Depot merger has created a big loss of jobs for many OfficeMax employees (in 43 reviews)

• During that period the number of upper management roles continued to grow (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent

Former Employee - Cashier in Mayaguez, PR
    Former Employee - Cashier in Mayaguez, PR

I worked at OfficeMax part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good Managers, excellent work environment. Is a great place to work.

Cons

Base salary. I don't have any other cons...

Sales Associate

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time

Pros

Depending on the store, the management team ROCKS!

Cons

Corporate has no clue what is going on down in the store level.

Fun place to work good location and plenty of opportunities within the company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to move up within the company.
    Relaxed dress code.
    Company focus on volunteerism.

Cons

Lots of turnover in management/upper management...in the 5 years I worked there, they had 2 major layoffs, reorganized our department twice, got a new CFO, had our department's chief exec leave twice and did not have a director or chief exec (the 2 highest positions in our area) over our department for an extended period of time. Our CEO also left.

Offer better benefits.

Fun place to work; good crew of people.

Current Employee - Logistics/Operations in Pismo Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Logistics/Operations in Pismo Beach, CA

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (less than an year)

Pros

My shift was 6am - 2pm. From 6am - 8am I received in the warehouse when the store was not yet open. No pressure and nice to have peace & quiet.

Cons

Sales floor was a bit competitive at times and smiling all the time wears thin after a while.

Higher pay - stop with the hokey team meetings.

This was an organization with great potential, but economic pressures and lack of visionary leadership destroyed it.

Former Employee - Director of Sales in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Director of Sales in Naperville, IL

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The legacy personnel from Boise and OfficeMax are, on balance, a huge asset. Quality people and a commitment to ethics create great potential.

Cons

The executive culture was terminally risk averse which created a company that was not nimble enough to compete effectively.

Small changes will not win the day and listening to Wall Street may keep you in your role temporarily but will not create a viable organization long-term. Focus on M&A of complimentary businesses and reinvent the client experience.

Great Work Community

Current Employee - Staff Accountant I in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant I in Naperville, IL

I have been working at OfficeMax as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I work as a contract accountant in the Sales & Margin section of Finance department and people were very friendly and personable. The work was complex but achievable and the deadlines weren't too bad, with the exception of period close. Good pay for contract work and my supervisor was particularly understanding of the need for work-life balance, and that's not really something I've found elsewhere.

Cons

The part of my job that dealt with sales managers was never fun because they will go against the contract just to please a customer, even if it's to the detriment of the company. That, and with the merger people were a bit forlorn because their jobs will be ending after the new year.

Not good timing

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (less than an year)

Pros

great company and culture prior to the acquisition

Cons

The merger made everyone skittish and ready to be fired.

Good Company for advancement

I have been working at OfficeMax

Pros

With the merger between OfficeMax and Office Depot, the focus has been internally promoting and development of their team.

Cons

The balance of work and life are hard to manage with amount of changes and expectations during the merger.

Fun place to work

Former Employee - Sales Associate - Office Max in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate - Office Max in Sacramento, CA

I worked at OfficeMax part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Learned a lot of things about office supplies and what's important in an office environment. Learn how to sell things to people. Team was awesome and so were managers. Everyone was helpful and offered help. The only thing I like was the team members felt like family to me. Work is work, lots of cons with the company. Even though I will never go back to working for them, I enjoyed my time there as the team members were great.

Cons

Alot. Pressured to sell things people don't really need like 100gb of cloud storage for $100. I was offered and pushed to take a sales specialist position (promotion), but there would be no pay increase. I declined as it was a "quota" position, but there would be no benefit to me. Then a few weeks later, they hire new guys for the position, gave them a high pay compared to what I received and I still had to trained them. Seriously? I gave up on the store after that. During sales I didn't really liked how the store manager would be in my ear trying to make me push multiple products when I'm trying to start a discussion with a customer. Although the team members were awesome, they cycled through a lot of employees. Of the employees that i was hired with, ALL but 1 was left in a 3 year time span. Even the store manager was different, and the 1 who was left is trying to leave. Last thing is, it seemed like every month they would be pushing some new services to sell on top of the hundreds we already had. Kind of annoying when you have 100s of services your manager wants you to push to one single customer.

Generally the store is fine. I know your trying to keep cost down, but when your employees lose morale don't expect them to be at the top of their game. Stay out of our ears when we're talking with customers. You make us lose our thought and a lot of times we cant even hear the customers. Take that as step one.

A great experience

Former Employee - Wen Programmer in Silver City, NM
    Former Employee - Wen Programmer in Silver City, NM

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people works there, is fun great with school supplies

Cons

The organizational changes very often

More communication with employees

OfficeMax Photos

Officemax in Lewisville, TX. Hope this helps you find this place.
overstock