OfficeMax

www.officemax.com

OfficeMax Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Roland Smith

Pros
  • The work-life balance changed with the season(in 25 reviews)

• Most of the associates that you work with are fun to work around(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Naperville HQ closing as position relocate to new Office Depot Office Max HR in Boca Raton(in 38 reviews)

• During that period the number of upper management roles continued to grow(in 36 reviews)

Good Place To Work

Electronics Department Manager (Current Employee) Buford, GA

ProsManagement is flexible in scheduling and considers employee based needs in regards to hourly adjustment as necessity demands.

ConsI have no complaints with store operations or management

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement or increase employee discount program.

Great working environment with potential for to expand knowledge

Pricing Analyst I (Former Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsThe managers always had an open door policy, and were happy to talk with you about anything. All of my co-workers were always willing and eager to help me learn, whether it was about how to best approach a new project or steps you can take to make your current project easier and faster. Basically, the people were very friendly and always willing to help. Once I even had a co-worker realize my plate was getting too full so she offered to manage one of my projects until I finished up the harder ones. No, the manager was not involved at all. Although I told the manager when I recommended the employee for the monthly MVP contest.

The department is huge and highly encouraged celebrating birthdays, so almost on a weekly basis, there would be treats for all the employees to enjoy and decorated cubicles. :)

ConsI really can't complain about this job. I regret leaving and I honestly wish I stayed with the company. I resigned to pursue my life dream of attending Law School. I'm now done with law school, drowning in debt and no job to show for it. This was a great place to work, opportunity to move up if you wanted as long as you proved you can handle the responsibilities. Great Pay, Management always gave you a benefit of the doubt and were understanding.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to the Pricing Department managers: Continue to rock the Pricing department.

Best Retail Experience I've Had

Impress Associate (Current Employee) Virginia Beach, VA

ProsExcellent management, great training from store manager and direct supervisor, good time-off policy, positive attitude from all staff members, efficient problem solving.

ConsSometimes, there are issues with scheduling my department; can't tell if it's because we just don't have the people to do the job or if they don't want to pay the payroll.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company

Trainer (Current Employee)

ProsOpportunity for advancement is great!

ConsMerged with Office Depot and they are closing some locations

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't close locations simply because you merged

Leadership team with high integrity

Director of Business Development (Former Employee)

ProsStrong leadership team on B2B side of the business, lead with passion and integrity. Culture of empowerment and teamwork.

ConsMerger with Office Depot turned into takeover by Office Depot which led to the layoffs of many great employees. Sad to see a great company be absorbed by one more focused on short-term gain than long-term value creation.

Advice to Senior ManagementOfficeMax was far more successful in the B2B environment, OD leaders need to take lessons from the OMX team.

Good

Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Willmar, MN

ProsIt's not hard work. most of the time fun

ConsKnowledge of all the products

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people under them for advice

cashier

Prosfun and exciting to take money and put in a machine

Consnot as fun as you would think to take money and put into a mACHINE

Advice to Senior ManagementGET SMARTER

Great company

Supply Planner (Current Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsGreat, supportive and flexible working environment.

ConsMerge with Office Depot, headquarters consolidating in Florida.

Wonderful

Sales Specialist (Key Holder) (Current Employee) Lewisville, TX

ProsFlexible schedule, personal management, friendly staff

ConsHoliday work-- but that's retail for you!

Advice to Senior ManagementI would say, the frequency of changing planograms and the direction of the company would be better if it were more consistent. Other than that, GO OMX!

Account Executive

Account Executive (Former Employee) San Juan, PR

ProsExperience, learning, technical experience, programs, flexibility, benefits

ConsManagers, custumers, build new accounts, time is not enougth to the work that you have, trainings

Worked for OfficeMax? Contribute to the Community!