OfficeMax

www.officemax.com

OfficeMax Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Roland Smith

Pros
  • The work-life balance changed with the season(in 25 reviews)

• Most of the associates that you work with are fun to work around(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Naperville HQ closing as position relocate to new Office Depot Office Max HR in Boca Raton(in 38 reviews)

• During that period the number of upper management roles continued to grow(in 36 reviews)

Poor!!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood workers when we get them. It's a pay check.

ConsVery low pay.
    Raises few or none.
    After 10 years with out a pay raise (not even a cost of living increase), has the nerve to take money away.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow about instead of cutting the pay of the hard working employees, start at the top and cut the managers pay by 30%.

Unhappy

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Maple Grove, MN

ProsTechnology in the stores is really cool. I love helping out the customers, co-workers are fantastic to work with

ConsManagement is absolute crap. Hours are very weak... Business is slow but being a freshman into college with a lot of expenses, the hours are very terrible. Management thinks I am a novice even though I do well in sales and customer service.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to understand I am not a novice or inexperienced worker even though i do well in sales and customer service

Never met a group of young people as lazy as this group

Sales Associate - Office Max (Current Employee) Kenosha, WI

ProsWell lit facility. Great clients.

ConsRude and lazy employees/management
    Employee discount is low
    A/C didnt work well
    Boring
    Too many employees standing around all day

Advice to Senior ManagementEnvelopes are too expensive. A lot of customers complain.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible and delightful.

Category Manager (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsWell one of the good things working for the company is advancement if you know how to brown nose.

ConsWell working for the higher ups there is no respect. The company let's the consumer make pricing decision causing the company to lose money and then when they don't hit there goal your to blame.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more considerate of your employees as well sometimes things are just out of our control

Dread

Proshmmm let me see..... not sure at the moment.

ConsHuge pay cuts for everyone not at the head of the food chain.

You are simply a slave.

Store Associate (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

Prosreally depends on the manager you work with.

ConsBasically Office Depot with OfficeMax logo.
    Store Key Holders get paid only slightly higher than associates
    Make you push phoney service and warranty plans.
    Make you push technology services that can be done at home for free.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your associate better, or atleast give them a better incentive to sell your crappy max assurance plans. .30 a plan is crap.

All about politics and "CYA"

ProsNot a difficult job and generally not too demanding.

ConsManagement is solely concerned with how they appear to their next level of management. You are 100% on your own, and if something blows up they are pros at knowing exactly how to deflect while throwing you in the fire. If this means stretching truths and even lying, then that's what they will do.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook up the word RESPECT in a dictionary

Office Max

Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

Prosflex hours
    can be a relaxing place to work
    you do get spiffs

Consupper managaement has not idea what they are doing
    no true focus
    not enough merchandise to compete with Best Buy

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the stores before making a broad decision

Management always looked over my shoulder and questioned what I did.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Bakersfield, CA

Pros- You learn about different types of paper...

Cons- If you don't sell insurance, you get a lot of grief and blame for not selling.
    - A lot of role-playing to teach you how to something you already know.
    - Management changes a lot.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep a closer eye on general management and allow better equal opportunities.

Want a living wage? look somewhere else

Middle Management (Current Employee)

ProsYou can meet people for networking.

ConsThe pay is horrible. I can't believe anyone who thinks this is a good career opportunity unless retail is all you're capable of. Bad management. Nobody seems to understand retail (this includes corporate). Raises barely cover inflation. Did I mention that there really isn't any opportunities for growth? Management is full of idiots. Our ASM seems to think that his job is to make everyone's lives miserable.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust give up on the company already. You merge two crappy companies together and you just get a pile of crap.

Worked for OfficeMax? Contribute to the Community!