OfficeMax

www.officemax.com

OfficeMax Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Roland Smith

Pros
  • The work-life balance changed with the season(in 25 reviews)

• Most of the associates that you work with are fun to work around(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Naperville HQ closing as position relocate to new Office Depot Office Max HR in Boca Raton(in 38 reviews)

• During that period the number of upper management roles continued to grow(in 36 reviews)

I've really enjoyed working for OfficeMax

Impress Supervisor (Key) (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsFriendly co workers and good managem t.

ConsLow pay. Recent manager re-sturctuerment means loss of jobs and even lower pay!

Good, not great

Manager, Home Office (Former Employee) Shaker Heights, OH

Prosprofessional working environment, nice professional cooworkers, HR department does a good job taking care of their employees

Conshigher turnover than I would expect for a professional workplace with good paying jobs. Also higher stress level since officemax seemed to always be playing catchup to staples, walmart office supplies, etc

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen I was there it seemed there was a lack of a clear strategy

Good Place To Work

Electronics Department Manager (Current Employee) Buford, GA

ProsManagement is flexible in scheduling and considers employee based needs in regards to hourly adjustment as necessity demands.

ConsI have no complaints with store operations or management

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement or increase employee discount program.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Routine

Cashier (Former Employee) Greenwood, SC

ProsSame job no real surprises

Consthere are never enough people on staff

Better pay than other companies with same position

Distribution Specialist (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsThey actually offer competitive pay similar positions of other companies are considerably less maybe by 35%, some company bbqs, work shoe allowance of $100 each year, mostly friendly work environment.

ConsConstant broken promises, doesnt directly answer questions, frequent schedule change, madatory overtime for everyone including part timers, always tries to blame worker if something didnt go as they wanted.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the good pay. Offer more chances to move up in the company if motivated. Train employees better when first hired and then also have refreshers training too. Dont hire part time if youre going to later force them to work a 40 hour week that is deceiving to the applicant. Stop threatening to fire so often because frequent schedule changes with little to no notice is given is hard to live with because people have other commitments such as 2nd job or kids school pick up.

Love the Company

Sales Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsI like how the company cares about its associates, as well as the customers. You are recognized for your accomplishments.

ConsThe company is too driven on selling protection plans on electronics. Some customers just don't want them. The merger is devaluing employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementWorry less about making numbers for the day and focus on the customer experience.

Be prepared to be over worked, extremely stressed, and under paid.

Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) Dearborn, MI

Pros- I enjoyed working with most of my coworkers and they enjoyed working with me. I was an Operations Supervisor and this was my first retail management position after having worked in retail for 15 years.
    - Some of the training is valuable, especially with the Microsoft Office and OS.
    - Benefits are pretty decent and reasonable in cost.

Cons- Extremely under-staffed.
    - As a manager you are expected to get the same amount of work done as all other stores who have adequate staffing. To sum up, the workload is terribly unbalanced.
    - The pay was a joke. Again, I had worked for 15 years in retail and this was my first management position, but my store manager only offered me $12.50/hr. I was desperate for a full-time job so I took it. BIG MISTAKE!!!
    - As with all retail jobs, the customers could be unreasonable pains in the butt.
    - If you have a family (kids), think twice before applying for a management position. If you close, you'll never be able to tuck your kids in at night. Most weekday nights, I wasn't able to leave until almost midnight.
    - Very high turn over of employees. There was a new assistant manager at my store who quit within a week because she hated the job so much.

Advice to Senior Management- Think more about the well-being of your employees.
    - Think better about who you hire for your store team leader positions. One of mine actually yelled at me in front of customers calling me an idiot and stupid.
    - Take into better consideration your employees who have families. Situations like cancelled child care and children getting sick happen and can't be helped. As a parent my first priority is my child. If she gets sick, I will take care of her. I will not pawn her off onto someone else when she's sick.

Merger with Office Depot changing culture of company-ratings are based on 2014 status.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHeadquarters support in Naperville, Illinois was excellent-too soon to tell how support will be out of Boca Raton, Florida.
    Competitive pay and benefits.

ConsMerger of equals leans more towards Office Depot systems and policies.
    More store and facility closures leading to more layoffs.

Stable job but not efficent

Print Center Supervisor (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsTypical retail, can have a flexible schedule. Paid holidays and vacation. Pay is decent if you are full-time.

ConsCan be overwhelming with work load to be accomplished with low payroll allowed. Not very family oriented for employees - now only closed on Christmas, but probably not for much longer.

Great people working there, draconian management.

Contact Centre (Former Employee) Christchurch (New Zealand)

ProsFriendly co workers, made great friends.

ConsManagers very biased eg. friends get promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers very biased eg. friends get promotions.

Worked for OfficeMax? Contribute to the Community!