OfficeMax Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Roland Smith

Pros
  • They activity promote a work life balance (in 33 reviews)

• Had a reasonably flexible schedule if you knew what you were doing (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • merger with Office Depot moved company HQ (in 47 reviews)

• Upper management is slow to react to solve problems (in 40 reviews)

1,329 Employee Reviews

1. Horrible place to work currently. Store manager Washington is a piece of garbage.

Current Employee - Sales Associate - Office Max in North Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate - Office Max in North Miami, FL

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful women come to the store. Associates are cool with each other but still hard to deal with, associates pretty much talk like friends.

Cons

Store manager Washington is a piece of garbage. Pay raises arent nothing for real. Better off applying to Publix, or Walmart. Associates steal from the store last time I saw a supervisor steal a laptop.

Advice to Management

Switch out the store manager of North Miami store Washington doesn't do anything.

2. Floor Associate

Former Employee - Floor Associate in Randall, OH
    Former Employee - Floor Associate in Randall, OH

I worked at OfficeMax part-time

Pros

All other employees were nice and fun to work with. Manager was flexible with my schedule.

Cons

Working on Sundays was a challenge sometimes because of everyone coming in looking for what was "free."

Advice to Management

Needed better communication and direction.

3. Impress supervisor

Former Employee - Impress Department Manager in Burlington, NC
    Former Employee - Impress Department Manager in Burlington, NC

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company lots of different avenue to learn from

Cons

Not enough upper management to view miss use of time

Advice to Management

Visit more offen randomly speak to emplyee

5. Low Pay, Few Hours

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Griffin, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Griffin, GA

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of the people who work there are great, and having the first look at sales items can come in handy, especially if you have another job or your own business.

Cons

They will pay you the lowest amount they can get away with paying you, and then they will try to squeeze as much work out of you as possible in as few hours as possible. Full-time employment is typically reserved for managers, so don't expect full shifts or benefits. If you work less than 6 hours on a shift, they aren't required to give you a break, so you'll have to depend on the kindness of your manager on shift if you want a meal. Don't even think about working the Impress Center (print services) if you value your health. They work long shifts with no breaks and handle the largest amount of customers at one time.

Advice to Management

Learn to treat your employees like people instead of numbers. If you want people to actually care about your profits, rewards programs, and merchandise, you have to actually give them enough money to support themselves. People are willing to work hard for their money if you pay them enough money to make their work worthwhile. In my time at OfficeMax, I've spent time talking to 15 other employees, and only ONE of them is satisfied with his job. I'm certainly not satisfied, so if you only have 1 out of 16 employees happy, you're doing something terribly wrong.

6. Avoid the Print Center at all Costs

Pros

Was fairly relaxed prior to store conversion from Office Max to Office Depot Sales consultant positions are fairly low key (I'd recommend this for a decent part time job, but avoid the print center at all costs)

Cons

Print center is always busy and stressful Management complained with you asked for back up, even though company touts Flex Up on 3 policy Merger with Office Depot just added more complication to normal tasks Store was always behind and regional management complained if we worked on excessive freight during regular store hours, set planos during store hours, etc. Not sure when we were supposed to do this stuff in this case... ImPress Supervisor is a quasi manager role - slightly higher pay grade, but no keys, no code to open/close store, no trust given by other managers, 30 minute lunch, and management not very supportive of assisting when things got backed up. LOTS of favoritism (if I reported a print associate for not doing their job, they got no flak for it. If I was sitting behind the counter without customers, I got fussed at for not doing a million other things around the store) Due to merger being a disorganized mess, I wasn't offered any benefits except the retirement plan

Advice to Management

Know your company policies - if ImPress asks for back up for Flex Up on 3, send back up. Don't argue with print specialists and then ask what customers need. Flex Up on 3 doesn't involve the print associate determining what other customers in line need. Stop with all the favoritism. You're only rewarding people who are bringing down the store.

7. Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales in Sheboygan, WI
    Former Employee - Sales in Sheboygan, WI

I worked at OfficeMax (More than a year)

Pros

Almost nothing was good about this job.

Cons

Horrible policies, and horrible people to work with.

Advice to Management

Fix the way that you talk to your employees

8. Disappointing.

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time

Pros

Hours aren't bad when payroll isn't playing games.

Cons

A typical day at work isn't generally so bad, depending on who you are working with. Often, there are menial tasks that need to be done which is fine but grows tedious and produces no major results in the long run. Too much focus on surveys and rewards cards that are thrown away by customers anyway as are business cards. As for being a salesperson, it's often hard to answer customers questions that exceed your product knowledge because asking for help is basically a waiting game as the chatter on the personal earpiece is often difficult to maintain focus and or get a word in edgewise due to the amount of chatter that is unnecessary. It's always about numbers, protection plans, essential kits, etc. Which generally makes selling feel artificial and forced like you are a used car salesman. Rather than letting it feel naturally because you are constantly told to add it on and feel pressured as a result. In turn, that pressure is added to the customer and leads to a lukewarm experience.

Advice to Management

Stop pressuring sales people and cashiers to constantly sell the aforementioned e kits, warranties, etc as they generally annoy the customer. Put TRUST in the associate to do it naturally, rather than shove it down their throats. Treat people better, just because a sign is slightly crooked does not give you a right to publicly berate them. They are your employees, not your children.

9. Cashier

Former Employee - Cashier in Tupelo, MS
    Former Employee - Cashier in Tupelo, MS

I worked at OfficeMax part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Usually not very busy, easy job for the most part. A lot of work on the floor, such as stocking and set up is also required. Can get commission for printer sales.

Cons

Having to stock the ink while running the cash register got annoying, since they were so far away from each other.

Advice to Management

Company seems to work well, I havent been there since the combing with office depot. Great products and great atmosphere.

Lead consultant customer services

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You meet different peoples to work with and meet customers.

Cons

Not very organization, needs more meeting so everybody is on the same pages and the managers need to listen to there other managers and associates to fix any issues.

Advice to Management

Been open mind and listen because the answer is right there to fix the issues.

Assistant Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance, wonderful team.

Cons

The merger in 2014 was hell, and with another possible merger in 2016 ...

Showing 1,329 of 1,335 reviews