OfficeMax

www.officemax.com

OfficeMax Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Roland Smith

Pros
  • The work-life balance changed with the season (in 25 reviews)

• Most of the associates that you work with are fun to work around (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Naperville HQ closing as position relocate to new Office Depot Office Max HR in Boca Raton (in 38 reviews)

• During that period the number of upper management roles continued to grow (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Temporary or Second Job

ProsFlexible hours if you're in school or have a second job.

ConsNo room for advancement. Nearly impossible to obtain a full time position.

For College students, a good place to work

Services Center Associate (Current Employee) Bee Cave, TX

ProsAgain, this does not pertain to the entire store, but only to the Services Center (a.k.a print center):
    -Colleagues have some form of formal education in Graphic design.
    -Allowed a lot of autonomy in decision making.
    -Ability to exercise independent judgement on best way to meet customer needs.

Cons-Services Center Associates payed the same as sales floor associates despite having three times the workload.
    - Merger with Office Depot is allegedly leading to entry salaries going back down to minimum wage (not confirmed at this time).
    -Stressful workload and customer demands.
    -Many of the people that work on the sales floor are in no way trained to handle any of the equipment behind the Services Center counter, which means if you are short handed, tough luck.

Its not the worst job in the world

Impress Associate (Current Employee)

ProsI get paid, and it can be a relatively easy job at times.

ConsManagement doesn't seem to like to get things done. Outdated computers in the copy center that freeze and crash while trying to do the simplest tasks. At my store, morale is pretty low and most employees just love to complain.

Advice to Senior ManagementPOS and computer hardware that our business relies upon need to be upgrade, not the break room computers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good intro job for technology sales, minimal promotion opportunities.

Sales Specialist (Key Holder) (Current Employee) Avondale, AZ

ProsFull time benefits, paid time off. Good job for learning technogy sales and general retail experience.

ConsNot a lot of opportunity to move up in the company and when those opportunities do come up the requirements for them are very strict. Upper management, corporate has little respect for associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more respect for the associates that work extremely hard for little money. They are the ones that help keep you business afloat.

Good people, but lack of direction

Communications (Former Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsPeople were usually interested in helping each other to succeed. The company also encouraged new thinking.

ConsThey never really stuck with an approach long enough for it to take root.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick to the plan. Also, stop firing people just because you had a bad quarter.

Depends on your team

Senior Manager Information Technology (Former Employee) Naperville, IL

ProsThe company has some surprising pockets of brilliance among the mediocrity. Personally, I worked for a great team and within the walls of my team it was one of the best jobs I've had. Bonus is decent when paid out.

ConsCompany has some old habits ingrained in the culture that it can't get rid of. There is some back stabbing behavior set down by some VPs when teams with competing interests engage. Overall there is not a good sense of doing the right thing for the company versus doing the right thing for my team and to make me look good. Its not universal, but its there and can't be ignored. Du

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany requires a cultural shift and combative behavior which service the interest of the self needs to be fleshed out. Sr leadership needs to utilize VPs to enforce this downward.

Great place to start.

ProsGreat people to work with.

ConsNot a whole lot of advancement offered to store front employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPersonal growth.

Okay part-time job

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Woodbury, MN

Pros-Flexible schedule
    -Job is not too difficult once you get the hang of it
    -Overall, the experience should improve after merger with OfficeDepot

Cons-Expected to know quite a bit of information for how much you are paid
    -Training wasn't the greatest
    -Working with co-workers that are not trained well makes the job more difficult for everyone

Advice to Senior Management-Training for employees should be better

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Front lines of retail can be quite interesting.

ProsMost associates are great to work with. I enjoy solving problems for customers or just making sure they find what they are looking for. ~~>It's also great to take business from competitors<~~ nothing beats gaining market share.

ConsLousy marketing, cheap corrugates for displays and endcaps. VERY LITTLE PAYROLL!

Advice to Senior ManagementWith the new merger it would be nice to have payroll added for training purposes. There is a lot of new things to learn for both banners and just spewing do this or else doesn't help with morale or results.

Be prepared to be over worked, extremely stressed, and under paid.

Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) Dearborn, MI

Pros- I enjoyed working with most of my coworkers and they enjoyed working with me. I was an Operations Supervisor and this was my first retail management position after having worked in retail for 15 years.
    - Some of the training is valuable, especially with the Microsoft Office and OS.
    - Benefits are pretty decent and reasonable in cost.

Cons- Extremely under-staffed.
    - As a manager you are expected to get the same amount of work done as all other stores who have adequate staffing. To sum up, the workload is terribly unbalanced.
    - The pay was a joke. Again, I had worked for 15 years in retail and this was my first management position, but my store manager only offered me $12.50/hr. I was desperate for a full-time job so I took it. BIG MISTAKE!!!
    - As with all retail jobs, the customers could be unreasonable pains in the butt.
    - If you have a family (kids), think twice before applying for a management position. If you close, you'll never be able to tuck your kids in at night. Most weekday nights, I wasn't able to leave until almost midnight.
    - Very high turn over of employees. There was a new assistant manager at my store who quit within a week because she hated the job so much.

Advice to Senior Management- Think more about the well-being of your employees.
    - Think better about who you hire for your store team leader positions. One of mine actually yelled at me in front of customers calling me an idiot and stupid.
    - Take into better consideration your employees who have families. Situations like cancelled child care and children getting sick happen and can't be helped. As a parent my first priority is my child. If she gets sick, I will take care of her. I will not pawn her off onto someone else when she's sick.

Worked for OfficeMax? Contribute to the Community!