OfficeMax Reviews

Reset

1,277 Employee Reviews

1. Associate

I worked at OfficeMax

Pros

Flexible Hours and great team attitude.

Cons

Management has favorite employees they favor.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to employees opinions.

2. Barely making it

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Garfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Garfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like my fellow employees. Its a good job for someone who is in school or needs little hours/flexibility.

Cons

The pay is HORRIBLE especially since i have been there for over a year now. Have not seen even a penny added to the already pocket change that they pay. My store is ALWAYS understaffed-sometimes with only me and one other person to close the store. We have no store manager so I have absolutely no idea who to go to when I have a problem! Some of the other employees never want to work weekends which leaves only a few people to do it. Very short breaks with long shifts. My feet are dead by the time I come home. After the store closes- we are there 45 mins to 1 hour after doing "recovery," trash and other things that only take us 10 mins. The other 30 mins is waiting on managers to count registers by hand. I am disgusted every time I walk into the breakroom-its flies GALORE! Other employees fail to clean up behind themselves and our breakroom definitely reflects that! If i had a cari would go far away from there on my lunches-but i can't because $8.00/hr!!!!!!

Advice to Management

OPEN AND CLOSE THE STORE ITS NOT FAIR TO OTHER PEOPLE. Actually staff the store for both shifts, not just opening.

OfficeMax

Former Employee - Director in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Naperville, IL

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Was a great company to work at.

Cons

Company merger required OMX corporate to relocation to FL

5. Assistant Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Clovis, NM
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Clovis, NM

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent starting pay. Flexible schedule.

Cons

Lousy commissions. Rarely promotes. Poor HR.

Advice to Management

Hire from within. District Mgr's hired from outside never work.

Not a bad place to work if you can put up with unrealistic sales expectations

Former Employee - Sales Specialist (Key Holder) in Martinsburg, WV
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist (Key Holder) in Martinsburg, WV

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was hired as the 'Sales Specialist' at an OfficeMax location, which is comparable to being a sales manager. Although my hourly pay rate was low (only $10/hour), the benefits offered as a full-time employee were very decent. Comprehensive health insurance, respectable vacation time accrual, somewhat flexible scheduling, and things like getting a discount on my AT&T phone bill for being an OfficeMax employee were nice.

Cons

Very poor hourly rate; for working a full-time, 40-hour-per-week schedule, I brought home only $600 bi-weekly after taxes, which isn't enough to support oneself by a longshot. Additionally, the training took a solid three weeks and consisted of a lot of "busy work" that didn't seem to pertain to much of my position's duties. As a sales manager, I was told to defer most of the sales to the associates and coach them in their selling ability, but then I was punished for having poor sales numbers myself, which didn't seem to make sense and was very unfair. Also, management doesn't seem to care what you sell so long as you attach the Max Assurance service plan on your sales, which is a tough sell to pitch to customers who already don't want to spend much money on the items their buying, let alone pay an additional premium on a service plan they don't feel has much value or is needed. Associates who luck into a service plan attachment are put on pedestals while the others are lectured for being unable to sell Max Assurance service plans; it's a vicious cycle. Finally, the fact that OfficeMax tends to charge much more than almost any other store selling the same products means that business is terribly slow unless it's back-to-school season, which management handles by forcing the sales associates to be more aggressive toward the few customers that actually come into the store; nobody likes when sales persons repeatedly harass customers and try to coerce them into buying things, but that seems to be a requirement of the sales associates. There's also a ton of gimmicky services--such as paying hundreds of dollars to essentially turn on a customer's laptop for the first time and put in their user information for them, which is a major rip-off--that the company is always pushing. It can make a $500 laptop cost $700 or more, and what customer wants to pay for things that they can do on their own in twenty minutes? Plus, half the fun of buying a new computer is taking the little bit of time to set it up when you get it, so these over-priced, unnecessary services are almost embarrassing.

Advice to Management

It would be a good idea to stop making the sales associates harass customers so aggressively as it's going to end up discouraging them from returning to the store. Also, the pointless services are a shameful way of bleeding the customer of additional money that they don't need to spend; the only time I can see such services being necessary would be if an elderly customer bought a laptop for the first time and didn't know how to use it. Otherwise, the reputation OfficeMax is getting is that they overcharge their customers and care only about getting every last dollar out of them that the company can get, which surely can't be the reputation OfficeMax wants. You should also pay your employees better, especially when foot traffic in stores is so low, meaning there's virtually nobody coming into OfficeMax to whom your sales associates can sell things.

7. If you need one

I worked at OfficeMax

Pros

Back to school season makes day go faster

Cons

Pushy sales. Can be slow.

8. Good company

I have been working at OfficeMax

Pros

Good company but going through a lot of changes right now.

Cons

Pay has decreased in the last year.

9. Associate

I worked at OfficeMax full-time

Pros

I had a really great manager and several co-workers who were actually fun to be around. For the first three months I actually felt like I was learning things.

Cons

Not a lot of motivation on the company side. Too many meaningless tasks that could be simplified or improved upon. Awful customer base overall. Low pay.

Advice to Management

The number one thing I hated was putting out ad for the week. This process can definitely be simplified. It is also an incredible waste of paper when you consider the amount of stickers you're printing every single week just to put a second price on an item.

10. Office max

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at OfficeMax (Less than a year)

Pros

Customer service, face to face interaction. I learned a lot about electronics

Cons

Sluggish sales, lazy employees. They seem to not care if the business grows or not

Advice to Management

None

11. ecommerce

I have been working at OfficeMax

Pros

great people to work with

Cons

difficult to move around within the company

Showing 1,277 of 1,286 reviews