OfficeMax Reviews

1,329 Employee Reviews

1. OMX, don't do it...

Former Employee - Distribution Center Supervisor in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Distribution Center Supervisor in Birmingham, AL

Pros

The only real Pro is the salary is decent. You do not have to work on Sundays. The lighting is good.

Cons

Management that works in the front office is terrible. They lie to all the associates as well as the supervisors. Supervisor are expendable. I worked there a year and believe 7 were fired and 3 quit. The first few months are good as they show how wonderful everything is and get you to buy in that all the associates are evil before events lead you to find out the truth. Your job will be threatened on a weekly if not daily basis. You will write up every associates for every error they make or every thing they do wrong. You will have to fire associates who try hard and want to do a good job but just dont have very good comprehension skills. Oh, and you will use a lot of temps. You will bring up concerns to deaf ears. If you want to have a high level of stress, high blood pressure, work up to 65 or 70 hours a week and be treated like you just got out of high school, you should give it a shot.

Advice to Management

Start looking at yourselves for what you are, part of the problem not part of the solution.

2. Less than fulfilling job.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Clovis, NM
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Clovis, NM

Pros

I learned alot about sales and you get a small amount of compensation for insurance policies that you sell.

Cons

Standing on concrete all day with 30 minute lunches was a downside. Very competitive environment that actually worked against sales. Very little training was a point of stress and loss of sales.

Advice to Management

Encourage employee teamwork to better assist customers.

3. horrible, truly horrible

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC

Pros

none, well, helping people would be the only one i can think of. Other than that...I would never want anyone to work at that company

Cons

everything. structure is horrible. Managers do not work with their employees, its a true minimum wage retail slave labor job where you are under the whim of the store manager

Advice to Management

follow staples. They hav great store structure. Be MUCH more open to employee needs. But that is for store managers obviously. LISTEN to what your employees have to say.

THE WORST JOB I HAVE EVER HAD!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Midvale, UT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Midvale, UT

Pros

Nothing really that I can think of, overall the worst job I have ever had. the only good thing was having a cool manager who I was friends with.

Cons

Higher management doesn't acknowledge anything you do well, but when you don't sell enough stuff they threaten to fire you. We had to wear a head set at all times, where the general manager and assistant general manager would be nagging in your ear about selling the person your helping a max-assurance kit for there printer or whatever.. Another huge turn off was every sunday they get a full semi truck full of new inventory that you must unload off the truck and break down which takes the entire 8 hour shift. Not worth 7.50 an hour.

Advice to Management

Dont hire General managers, or assistant store manager who have no people skills. Hire people who are friendly!!!

It was extremely hostile and I was at a disadvantage due to reverse discrimination.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

Very forward thinking in marketing Strategic and specific in their demographic Pride themselves on completeness of projects Customer service is always at a premium

Cons

Very adversarial environment Looked down upon when you're married Not taken seriously as a new manager with legitimate ideas Very "this is the way its always been done" mentality to new techniques Way too centralized

Advice to Management

Be more open Listen to your employees If someone is complaining, there is a good reason Leaders are developed from within

7. Great store teams, poor upper management

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Denver, CO

Pros

Some really great people working in the stores

Cons

Really poor upper management, detached from the reality of day-to-day store operations

Runs like a sweatshop

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great benefits, lots of time off if you're a full time employee. Monthly random employee wins a snack and soda.

Cons

Every senior management ABOVE the store manager (ie. District, Regional etc.) Doesn't know what "really" happens in the store. They expect us to sell using new techniques when they have no clue in their right minds the demographics of each store. A store in a metro area will be different than those in rural areas! Some sales techniques used are to aim towards "dumber" non tech savvy people because we are REQUIRED to sell a $100 anti virus OfficeMax brand anti virus to a customer a week. Another downside to working here is they don't want you making over $12 so once you reach that point, you will get no more raises unless you get promoted in which they'll give you 75cents. There are no more categorized associates. EVERYONE is a sales associate, even if you were meant to do logistics.

Advice to Management

We should not be under the gun if a certain store haven't sold any insurance plans etc. We have little hours to spare and we are expected too much from 8 employees a DAY especially in a Metropolitan Area

Terrible

Former Employee - Impress Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Impress Associate in San Antonio, TX

Pros

It was a blast being able to work with regular customers and corporate accounts, as such customers were always understanding and reasonable.

Cons

The day-to-day customers, however, were another story entirely. They frequently tried to edge their ten cent job in ahead of a thousand-dollar job, refusing to do it themselves even after shown how to operate the self-serve machines. They were unreasonably demanding; housewives and retired people would always pretend to be on tighter schedules than the always polite corporate representatives they could clearly see waiting as well. Management emphasized alienating those small customers, if one group had to be, but they would not assist me at all in dealing with such, and I was forbidden to call for backup at any point, even when the rest of the store employees were standing around watching my busy counter. There was no set-up for how to deal with angry customers in place. It was simply determined that even if someone was cursing out an employee (I heard of a story of a customer throwing things, and a drunk one once) and threatening, there was no way to get management to assist. It was intended to be my job to defuse any angry customers - and even with a background in tech support, I was shocked how bitter and surly some of them could get about the tiniest things. I was expected to be an 8$ an hour graphic designer, and while management had instructed me not to produce any such jobs, they would neither back me up on that dictate nor allow me to run such jobs.

10. A Job not a Career

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

was able to work with friends

Cons

Store manager was very sensitive and manipulative

Advice to Management

Listen to the sales force, they are your only revenue generating department

11. OfficeMax is a horrible employer.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Edina, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Edina, MN

Pros

Officemax normally has a flexible working schedule, and fits in well with school, and you are normally given the days off requested.

Cons

Micromanagement is taken to an extreme, and you are expected to do a lot more then in possible in a standard 8 hour shift.

Advice to Management

Don't stress the little things so much. If your employees work hard and do their best, the extra stress is not making for a pleasant work enviornment.

Showing 1,329 of 1,335 reviews