OfficeMax Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014
Updated August 26, 2014

2.8

Roland Smith

Pros
  • The work-life balance changed with the season (in 25 reviews)

• Most of the associates that you work with are fun to work around (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Naperville HQ closing as position relocate to new Office Depot Office Max HR in Boca Raton (in 38 reviews)

• During that period the number of upper management roles continued to grow (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

Most ethical company!!! Not!

I have been working at OfficeMax

Pros

If you like working long hours and no recognition from support or corporate then this is the place for you. Most ethical company!!! No it's not. Awesome five years ago. Now if you want to work for someone with a Napoleon complex, then work here in Detroit. That's what all the store managers tell me.

Cons

None. We get to work every holiday including Easter now. That's awesome. My family loves it. Lol.

Listen to your employees and customers. Stop hiring management from other companies where they have failed. Ps. Now that I don't work here I have found that prices are soooo much cheaper everywhere else.

Micro manager to death

I have been working at OfficeMax

Pros

Love my job and my team.

Cons

Store manager has no clue of the role of her Impress team and what we (printing) bring to the company. Without the print department, the store would fail.

Get off your high horse and get a clue.

Don't work for OfficeMax aka Office Depot Inc.

I worked at OfficeMax full-time for more than a year

Pros

Getting to meet customers and helping to satisfy their needs, coworkers that wasn't management, being able to meet reps from other companies(Epson, HP, Toshiba, Lenovo, etc...)

Cons

Shorted staffed, not enough payroll to get expected workload done. Training is horrible in the company you get thrown to the wolves without training. Learn by trial and error! Do not take care of their Retail employees at all nor do they care. They strive to be like Costco, Disney, and Southwest but will never achieve the way these companies are run because they will never take care of their core employees(Retail workers)

If you think you can run a store with 3 employees even 2 at times by all means please come work the stores and show us how it is done. Work weekends and holidays like you make your retail employees work instead of letting them enjoy it with their families.Try given more payroll and stop breaking the backs of the core people of your company the Retail employees. I have been in retail for a while and this was the worst company I have worked for in my career!! Try cutting your pay/bonuses and reward the people that make the company money because you are losing talented, loyal, and hard working employees. Maybe take a few notes from Lenovo's CEO bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-01/lenovo-chief-yang-shares-bonus-with-workers-for-second-year, keeping your core employees happy will increase sales and profit.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Going nowhere fast

Former Employee - Impress Associate  in  Willoughby, OH
    Former Employee - Impress Associate in Willoughby, OH

I worked at OfficeMax part-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a brown nose game at OfficeMax. If management likes you they give you hours, if not they give the kids who are living with their parents more hours than the single person who has bills and responsibilities. This works out for good if you have other means of making money and allows for flexibility in finding other employment or going to school.

Cons

Not enough hours. Went from 32 hours to 19 hours and they had no real reason why. Then turn around and ask me to cover for another employee with overtime. Management lied a lot. If you are not looking to do anything better with your life, OMX may be the company for you. If you have goals and dreams, don't let OfficeMax stand in the way. Kids operating in mgt who are clueless about life and running a store. They would rather hire someone with NO experience to run the copy center than keep someone who was honest, hardworking and knowledgeable.

Stop making people kiss butt and brown nose. You have a lot of thieves that you discover way too late working in and outside of the company and the honest employees get the book thrown at them for simple infractions.

Terrible company...

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Kannapolis, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kannapolis, NC

I worked at OfficeMax part-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice and energetic co-workers who care.

Cons

Terrible work environment, horrible management.

Listen to your employees.

Wasn't fun

Former Employee - Content Specialist  in  Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Content Specialist in Naperville, IL

I worked at OfficeMax as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The pay was okay, I guess.

Cons

I heard a lot of people complaining about how much they didn't like their jobs.

I may have been a temp, but make sure the supervisors don't just abandon their temps and leave them in an empty corner space with no interaction.

great coworkers....cannot say the same for managers

Former Employee - Supervisor
    Former Employee - Supervisor

I worked at OfficeMax full-time

Pros

Having the opportunity to meet and interact with some awesome customers.
    fun group of fellow associates
    usually a steady to fast paced flow of work, no time to be bored

Cons

Unreasonable managers with no consideration for others unless you are part of their small groups. Continuously put in the position of "set up to fail" never given the tools or support to succeed.

Hold everyone including managers accountable to living and working with the company values.

Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at OfficeMax full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The company had been a great place to work in the early 2000s, but for the last 5 years or so, there are no pros.

Cons

Constantly releasing services without proper training. Changing focus at the drop of a hat. Revising store POGs a few weeks after they had released a revision. Large scale moves without adequate payroll. No communication between company segments that leads to redundant tasks or lack of time to complete all needed tasks.

Communication and organization. Let the workers know what is going on and why it's happening instead of requiring blind devotion. For instance, the staff found out about the Office Depot buyout from the news as opposed to the company. Days after it was announced and made headlines the company still hadn't acknowledged it to the employees.

awful

Former Employee - Sales Consultant  in  Highlands Ranch, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Highlands Ranch, CO

I worked at OfficeMax part-time for more than a year

Pros

friendly co-workers, and a laid back work place. the job itself was very easy. the hours were very flexible.

Cons

they hold promotions over peoples heads to make them work harder with no intent on giving it to them. the pay is horribly low. corporate has no idea what they are doing. training is none existent, and management is under so much pressure they take it out on the employees. unrealistic expectations for sales, and complete lack of competency from the top down.

get your stuff together, and treat your employees with respect.

I would not recommend this employer to a friend.

I worked at OfficeMax part-time for more than a year

Pros

There existed a good group of employees who were very social and created a small sense of enjoyment.

Cons

There was a lack on instruction from managment as to what projects were of priority and what projects were not. This was coupled by a overall negative work enviroment, and a lack of appreshiation.

Better guidance and shows of appreshiation

Worked for OfficeMax? Contribute to the Community!