OfficeMax

1,071 Reviews
2.9
1,071 Reviews

Roland Smith

Pros
  • Work-life balance and time-off policies used to be pretty fair (in 33 reviews)

• Had a reasonably flexible schedule if you knew what you were doing (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Currently Office Depot merger has created a big loss of jobs for many OfficeMax employees (in 47 reviews)

• During that period the number of upper management roles continued to grow (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

Really?

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked with some cool people.

Cons

Management is not on the same page, no training, no support from management, high turnover, no one really knows their roles or boundaries, too many chiefs. Even if you are a student just looking for a part-time job, think twice if you really want to work here! People that I thought were good workers all left; the new hires quit quickly. Don't you know how to screen people? The only thing consistent wasthemanagement was inconsistent.

OfficeMax...Where Good People Go To Die

Former Employee - Sales Specialist (Key Holder) in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist (Key Holder) in Buffalo, NY

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is very little to get excited about starting a job at OfficeMax. There is no leadership and the company values seem to consist of treating associates as poorly as possible and compensating them as poorly as possible.

Cons

Every aspect of working for officemax is upsetting. You will not be respected, you will not be compensated correctly for the work you perform, you will be degraded by managers. You will be asked to go above and beyond your job requirements on a daily basis as if it were expected, all with no gratitude or positive feedback. Managers walk around like conquerors doing little to no work and pawning it off on their associates who are to afraid to speak up about the unjust conditions. Managers act like school children. Working for this company has honestly been the worst experience of my professional career. I would not recommend this job to anyone.

Managing means training associates correctly and helping them grow as people as well as professionals. However, in my years of experience with the company, managers seem more interested in drama, store politics and generally doing the least amount of work as possible, taking a true do as I say not as I do mentality. There is a reason why this company is slowly failing and closing stores left and right and it begins and ends with the managers and the complacency of corporate who allow them to treat associates as sub human.

Just walk away!

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay. Good vacation time. I used to love the people I worked with but most are leaving or have left.

Cons

Bad management. Disorganized and huge lack of resources to do your job. Everyday presents a challenge and not a good one. The company constantly rolls out new initiatives that are unsupported and very little info sent to stores. We are overwhelmed with deadlines and expectations everyday. The job is impossible. I have a successful store but it is a never ending battle to keep it that way.

Keep your expectations simple and issue stores the resources and the information BEFORE setting unreasonable expectations. We are buried at store level day in and day out. It's simple. You want us to repair this many pcs a day. Here is your training. Here is your advertising means. Here is your payroll to actually accomplish this. We can get it done. Pile on 15 more services with little to no training and no additional payroll, it won't happen. You will never be successful.

Meh

I worked at OfficeMax

Pros

Good for people without job experience. Great for high school kids.

Cons

Miserable people, never directly recognize good work, won't promote without YEARS of experience.

Actually give raises to people, stop taking your job too seriously; it's OfficeMax.

Merger was a lie!!

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It was a great company until the merger with Office Depot. Now it's going down the tubes. Don't go work for either company in management. You won't like it.

Cons

The merger with Office Depot was a joke. It was called a merger of equals. Hogwash. All the changes are Office Depot slanted and Max associates are getting the shaft.

No Direction

Former Employee - Business Development Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Business Development Representative in New York, NY

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I really cant take anything positive away from this experience, wish I hadn't left my old job....

Cons

No Direction
    No Training
    Horrible Commission Structure
    Just recently started using a CRM

Learn how to run a sales organization.

Most ethical company!!! Not!

I have been working at OfficeMax

Pros

If you like working long hours and no recognition from support or corporate then this is the place for you. Most ethical company!!! No it's not. Awesome five years ago. Now if you want to work for someone with a Napoleon complex, then work here in Detroit. That's what all the store managers tell me.

Cons

None. We get to work every holiday including Easter now. That's awesome. My family loves it. Lol.

Listen to your employees and customers. Stop hiring management from other companies where they have failed. Ps. Now that I don't work here I have found that prices are soooo much cheaper everywhere else.

Micro manager to death

I have been working at OfficeMax

Pros

Love my job and my team.

Cons

Store manager has no clue of the role of her Impress team and what we (printing) bring to the company. Without the print department, the store would fail.

Get off your high horse and get a clue.

Don't work for OfficeMax aka Office Depot Inc.

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Getting to meet customers and helping to satisfy their needs, coworkers that wasn't management, being able to meet reps from other companies(Epson, HP, Toshiba, Lenovo, etc...)

Cons

Shorted staffed, not enough payroll to get expected workload done. Training is horrible in the company you get thrown to the wolves without training. Learn by trial and error! Do not take care of their Retail employees at all nor do they care. They strive to be like Costco, Disney, and Southwest but will never achieve the way these companies are run because they will never take care of their core employees(Retail workers)

If you think you can run a store with 3 employees even 2 at times by all means please come work the stores and show us how it is done. Work weekends and holidays like you make your retail employees work instead of letting them enjoy it with their families.Try given more payroll and stop breaking the backs of the core people of your company the Retail employees. I have been in retail for a while and this was the worst company I have worked for in my career!! Try cutting your pay/bonuses and reward the people that make the company money because you are losing talented, loyal, and hard working employees. Maybe take a few notes from Lenovo's CEO bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-01/lenovo-chief-yang-shares-bonus-with-workers-for-second-year, keeping your core employees happy will increase sales and profit.

Going nowhere fast

Former Employee - Impress Associate in Willoughby, OH
    Former Employee - Impress Associate in Willoughby, OH

I worked at OfficeMax part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a brown nose game at OfficeMax. If management likes you they give you hours, if not they give the kids who are living with their parents more hours than the single person who has bills and responsibilities. This works out for good if you have other means of making money and allows for flexibility in finding other employment or going to school.

Cons

Not enough hours. Went from 32 hours to 19 hours and they had no real reason why. Then turn around and ask me to cover for another employee with overtime. Management lied a lot. If you are not looking to do anything better with your life, OMX may be the company for you. If you have goals and dreams, don't let OfficeMax stand in the way. Kids operating in mgt who are clueless about life and running a store. They would rather hire someone with NO experience to run the copy center than keep someone who was honest, hardworking and knowledgeable.

Stop making people kiss butt and brown nose. You have a lot of thieves that you discover way too late working in and outside of the company and the honest employees get the book thrown at them for simple infractions.

OfficeMax Photos