OfficeMax Reviews

1,033 Reviews
2.9
1,033 Reviews

Roland Smith

Pros
  • Work-life balance and time-off policies used to be pretty fair (in 32 reviews)

• I worked at OfficeMax to get through college so the flexible schedule of retail worked for me (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Currently Office Depot merger has created a big loss of jobs for many OfficeMax employees (in 44 reviews)

• During that period the number of upper management roles continued to grow (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

Was an okay working environment, company didn't really put any effort into caring about their employees or customers.

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Wilkes-Barre, PA

I worked at OfficeMax part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was a fairly easy retail job. Coworkers weren't horrible, manager was a nice guy. Pretty flexible when it came to scheduling hours.

Cons

Company focuses more on pushing warranty plans on almost ANYTHING. They wanted you to try to sell them for small things like pencil sharpeners and binders. The reason is because I am sure they make a huge profit off of the plans, because people forget they have them, or the product breaks after the short amount of time that the plan lasts.
    Raises were a joke, ranged from 8-11 cents a year.
    Minimal standards in the hiring process. They recently just did away with the drug screening. Fairly quick employee turnover.

Stop focusing on filling your pockets, and learning how to appreciate your customers and your employees. If you don't want to sell computers without a warranty plan because you lose money on the computers, maybe you shouldn't be selling them in the first place.

It kept money in my pocket when I was in college!

Former Employee - Sales Associate - Office Max in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate - Office Max in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at OfficeMax part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay for the little work that I was required to do.
    Easy job if you are a people person.
    Ability to be promoted easily in downtown location.
    Flexible scheduling
    Youll get to meet most of the businesses downtown

Cons

Jealous co-workers ( They always gossip)
    No organization due to the fact that we basically had no store manager.
    Split in the employees and you must choose a "side" to join or youll be an outcast. (Its like dealing with children)
    Workload unevenly distributed
    Feels like you and the store are going no where!

Hire new management!

Sales Consultant

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Akron, OH

I worked at OfficeMax part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Due to the recent merger a lot of new technology is on the way
    -Complete overhaul of company values
    -Definitely more customer oriented after merger
    -The spiffs were pretty useless, but could add a few dollars per week

Cons

-Obviously can get busy
    -Poor technology

Continue pleasing the customer and they will keep coming back.

Good starting job for Sales/Customer Service

Current Employee - Sales Associate - Office Max in Vallejo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate - Office Max in Vallejo, CA

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time (less than an year)

Pros

constant customer service, you get a foreground of sales and what it initials. Stepping stone for other jobs. Hours were good, just know that it is part time so your not going to get major hours. BUT the hours i got were about 50 hours every check. So job wise it was stable. I didn't slack off. When you slack, you aren't seen as a priority. You want them to notice when your working or not. What i mean is that you want to be known as "one of the good ones" that they always want working because your so good at your job

Cons

Management wasn't stable, always changed managers. Within almost the first year, i am at my third manager. Good guy, very friendly. Works with you if your in school.

Be confident in sales, push yourself , be self motivated and don't doubt yourself. Sales is just the way you word things. Just keep having perseverance, its a learning process! Always have to start somewhere!

Must make your DM your best friend!

Former Employee - Store Manager in Chillicothe, OH
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Chillicothe, OH

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Even as a Store Manager you man earn commissions on sales and services.

Cons

If you are thinking about taking one of their stores, go visit first. Make sure it is not a crap hole from front to back. With the payroll you are allotted, it will take you more than a year to fix it all.

Office max

Former Employee - Cashier in Elmont, NY
    Former Employee - Cashier in Elmont, NY

I worked at OfficeMax part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great co workers, discount was ok.

Cons

Insensitive managers, no consideration at all that I was going to school while making schedule

What I expected to be a pride shattering pause in my career turned out to be a refinement of my people and verbal skills

Former Employee - Sales Associate - Office Max in Rocky River, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate - Office Max in Rocky River, OH

I worked at OfficeMax part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

OfficeMax will improve your in person cold call skills as you are injected into a work environment that is filled with unknown sales prospects. You will also be educated to understand all the aspects of the latest office related technologies; computers, printers, cloud storage, website initiation, etc. If you are assigned freight duties you will gain independence while losing unwanted pounds.

Cons

The nuts and bolts activities of price changes, displays, maintenance and promoting some inferior products can wear on those that allow submission to mind-numbing repetition. Night and weekend hours are not welcome but necessary as the store must be open when customers are available. Wages reflect very low profit margins which means pay starts low and rarely is channeled through any raises.

Acknowledge company wide employment policies while thinking outside the box so as to bolster a positive work atmosphere. Bring forth local and personal aspects of doing business so that customers become names with needs opposed to contributors to the daily bottom line.

Terrible work environment.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in North Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in North Atlanta, GA

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a terrible company to work for. Don't waste your time. It's not worth it!!!!

Cons

Over worked. Underpaid. Understaffed. Poor compensation. I have worked as a manager there for 7 years in a top preforming store and only make $32,000 a year.

Pay your employees what they deserve. Treat them like people not slaves. Rotate weekends. Don't give us PTO and get upset when we use it.

Ghost town now that merger has been approved and synergies taking place

Former Employee - Senior Director in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Naperville, IL

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good people overall. Dedicated and solid desire to compete in the marketplace.

Cons

Not many "people" managers. Management mostly individual contributors, not leaders of people. Compensation was Ok, benefits not so great. Lack of overall leadership, especially now that the merger has taken place with Office Depot. Very few people left in Naperville.

Close down Naperville sooner rather than later, but adhere to the severances offered to those currently still there. Not a very positive place as more and more people leave,

OfficeMax was a good place to work until they decided to merge!

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I learned a lot and made some life long friends.

Cons

No training for employees that wanted to learn and grow in the company.

Learn what your team does before you can reprimand them for not doing their job right...

OfficeMax Photos

Officemax in Lewisville, TX. Hope this helps you find this place.
overstock