OfficeMax Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014
Updated August 26, 2014

2.8

Roland Smith

Pros
  • The work-life balance changed with the season (in 25 reviews)

• Most of the associates that you work with are fun to work around (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Naperville HQ closing as position relocate to new Office Depot Office Max HR in Boca Raton (in 38 reviews)

• During that period the number of upper management roles continued to grow (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

For College students, a good place to work

Current Employee - Services Center Associate  in  Bee Cave, TX
    Current Employee - Services Center Associate in Bee Cave, TX

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Again, this does not pertain to the entire store, but only to the Services Center (a.k.a print center):
    -Colleagues have some form of formal education in Graphic design.
    -Allowed a lot of autonomy in decision making.
    -Ability to exercise independent judgement on best way to meet customer needs.

Cons

-Services Center Associates payed the same as sales floor associates despite having three times the workload.
    - Merger with Office Depot is allegedly leading to entry salaries going back down to minimum wage (not confirmed at this time).
    -Stressful workload and customer demands.
    -Many of the people that work on the sales floor are in no way trained to handle any of the equipment behind the Services Center counter, which means if you are short handed, tough luck.

Its not the worst job in the world

Current Employee - Impress Associate
    Current Employee - Impress Associate

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I get paid, and it can be a relatively easy job at times.

Cons

Management doesn't seem to like to get things done. Outdated computers in the copy center that freeze and crash while trying to do the simplest tasks. At my store, morale is pretty low and most employees just love to complain.

POS and computer hardware that our business relies upon need to be upgrade, not the break room computers.

Good intro job for technology sales, minimal promotion opportunities.

Current Employee - Sales Specialist (Key Holder)  in  Avondale, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist (Key Holder) in Avondale, AZ

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time for more than a year

Pros

Full time benefits, paid time off. Good job for learning technogy sales and general retail experience.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity to move up in the company and when those opportunities do come up the requirements for them are very strict. Upper management, corporate has little respect for associates.

Have more respect for the associates that work extremely hard for little money. They are the ones that help keep you business afloat.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Okay part-time job

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Woodbury, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Woodbury, MN

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Flexible schedule
    -Job is not too difficult once you get the hang of it
    -Overall, the experience should improve after merger with OfficeDepot

Cons

-Expected to know quite a bit of information for how much you are paid
    -Training wasn't the greatest
    -Working with co-workers that are not trained well makes the job more difficult for everyone

-Training for employees should be better

Great place to start.

I have been working at OfficeMax

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Not a whole lot of advancement offered to store front employees.

Personal growth.

Good people, but lack of direction

Former Employee - Communications  in  Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Communications in Naperville, IL

I worked at OfficeMax full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People were usually interested in helping each other to succeed. The company also encouraged new thinking.

Cons

They never really stuck with an approach long enough for it to take root.

Stick to the plan. Also, stop firing people just because you had a bad quarter.

Depends on your team

Former Employee - Senior Manager Information Technology  in  Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Manager Information Technology in Naperville, IL

I worked at OfficeMax full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company has some surprising pockets of brilliance among the mediocrity. Personally, I worked for a great team and within the walls of my team it was one of the best jobs I've had. Bonus is decent when paid out.

Cons

Company has some old habits ingrained in the culture that it can't get rid of. There is some back stabbing behavior set down by some VPs when teams with competing interests engage. Overall there is not a good sense of doing the right thing for the company versus doing the right thing for my team and to make me look good. Its not universal, but its there and can't be ignored. Du

Company requires a cultural shift and combative behavior which service the interest of the self needs to be fleshed out. Sr leadership needs to utilize VPs to enforce this downward.

Front lines of retail can be quite interesting.

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Most associates are great to work with. I enjoy solving problems for customers or just making sure they find what they are looking for. ~~>It's also great to take business from competitors<~~ nothing beats gaining market share.

Cons

Lousy marketing, cheap corrugates for displays and endcaps. VERY LITTLE PAYROLL!

With the new merger it would be nice to have payroll added for training purposes. There is a lot of new things to learn for both banners and just spewing do this or else doesn't help with morale or results.

Exciting place to work, especially during the back-to-school season.

I have been working at OfficeMax

Pros

The work environment is good, and it is a pleasure to work around new technologies.

Cons

Pay is not fabulous, and not much room to move up in the company.

Great company to work for before the merger with Depot, excellent benefit program and wonderful work environment

Former Employee - Business Development Representative  in  Garland, TX
    Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Garland, TX

I worked at OfficeMax full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stellar benefit and vacation set up, enhanced beginning training program helped develop my corporate selling skills and polish a few rusty ones. Before the merger, advancement within the company was practically a guarantee. Excellent beginning pay structure with commission supplement, paid expenses, commission bonus, and base salary.

Cons

After you make it past the first 4-6 months of working your sales quota ramps up to the 7 figure range which for a new division is unattainable. Less than 5% attain over 85% quota. That statistic makes creates a position in which you lose the incentive to "hunt," because no matter how much business you bring on, you will not be paid for it.

Continue to encourage, train, and develop all talent and try and work with the VPS's to fix the glaring sales quota problem. However, since OMX is no longer a business entity then maybe all my personal issues have been resolved by the Depot executives.

Worked for OfficeMax? Contribute to the Community!