OfficeMax

1,055 Reviews
2.9
1,055 Reviews

Roland Smith

Pros
  • Work-life balance and time-off policies used to be pretty fair (in 33 reviews)

• Had a reasonably flexible schedule if you knew what you were doing (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Currently Office Depot merger has created a big loss of jobs for many OfficeMax employees (in 47 reviews)

• During that period the number of upper management roles continued to grow (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

I was employed with OfficeMax as an Associate (later re-branded as Sales Consultant) for more than 2 years.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Happy Valley, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Happy Valley, OR

I worked at OfficeMax part-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Generally flexible with your schedule and will usually honor days you request off due to school or other obligations.

- Atmosphere is fairly laid-back. (a pro for some)

- Customer service at my location is above and beyond the level provided by most competitors.

Cons

- Management seems to advocate for taking short cuts when it comes to certain processes, and this often results in future problems.

- Pay is meager; just a few cents over minimum, and raises occur only once a year and are similarly lacking.

- Expect to pick up the slack for any lazy coworkers, as they will not be reprimanded or fired.

- The company is stingy; we are still using Jurassic-era Windows XP registers that are prone to freezing. We also use an incredibly slow Internet connection that regularly fails, sometimes for days at a time, costing the store thousands and frustrating both employees and customers.

- Unfortunately, if management forgets to honor your availability or days off they previously approved (as is often the case), you can expect to have to do all the footwork required to correct the problem they created.

See "Cons".

Thank god for good co-workers.

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at OfficeMax part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coworkers were the only saving grace

Cons

small and infrequent promotions/raises, no promotion of growth, high employee turnover

Try investing in your employees where you can, just because you can hire more people easily doesn't mean it isn't worth training and treating them well.

Solid company prior to the merger with Office Depot.

Former Employee - Multi Store Position in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Multi Store Position in Charlotte, NC

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Work/life balance OK. Majority of leaders cared about people.

Cons

Too focused on secondary metrics. Chased whatever someone at the top wanted to achieve. Lack of training on things they wanted to develop and achieve.

Listen to the front line staff instead of pushing what they want down to the stores.

Merger to unemployment

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

OfficeMax used to be a good company to work for. Work-life balance and time-off policies used to be pretty fair.

Cons

Everything took a terrible turn when OfficeMax "merged" with Office Depot. My job as well as the jobs of most of my co-workers were outsourced to India & China. Many more of my co-workers will be losing their jobs in the very near future.

A Fun Experience But With A Lot of Downsides

Former Employee - Services Center Consultant
    Former Employee - Services Center Consultant

I worked at OfficeMax part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They tend to hire a lot of fun people to be around. It is very flexible with scheduling especially when attending school full time. You have the opportunity to gain better problem solving and time management skills when it comes to customers or orders you take in.

Cons

At any retail environment you have to deal with difficult people. But when the difficult people become part of the team you're on (mine being the Print Center) it makes it hard to work together. Instead of hiring on people just to increase the number of employees, management needs to be a little more attentive to the job the new hires will be taking on. If you have a good work ethic, you'll find that you will be picking up a lot of slack for those who don't. Not to mention, the pay is not nearly enough for the amount of work you take on, especially in the Print Center. Raises are a joke, point blank.

Be more picky with the people being hired, pay needs to be better

Poor leadership

Former Employee - Distribution Specialist
    Former Employee - Distribution Specialist

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The job is straight forward and easy to learn.

Cons

The management style of OfficeMax is very poor. There is a lack of leadership and a lack o knowledgable people on the management team who know how to do their job. Several years working there I never met a manager or supervisor that could manage people.

Company values are for the leadership team as well as the rest of the associates. Understand your job and if necessary acquire some education in the field that you manage.

Associates don't care.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Apex, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Apex, NC

I worked at OfficeMax part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You probably won't ever get fired unless you are late. All of the workers are lazy so there isn't much competition to show off.

Cons

They are extremely unorganized and inconsistent with their expectations. They don't care about their employees and most stores don't care about the customers much either.

You should work harder so your workers will want to as well.

Terrible.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Cottage Grove, MN
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Cottage Grove, MN

I worked at OfficeMax part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was close to where I lived, so I never had to burn a lot of gas to get to work.

Cons

Terribly paid for being employed here for so long.
    Management never actually did their job.
    Constant workplace tension between certain management employees and associates.
    Often called in on my days off for being the "only available associate to work the missing shift".
    Horrible training, often stuck to do coworkers tasks because they didn't know how to.
    Merger led to some associates' wages to be cut to "match" positions from Office Depot.

Re-evaluate some store management positions in certain towns. Just because their numbers look good doesn't necessarily mean they are good at their job! Help out the underdog!

Not for everyone

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time

Pros

Easy enough job and nothing is too challenging. Schedule is flexible around school so that makes things easier. Small store atmosphere so you know everyone at work.

Cons

One of the slowest retail stores ever. Payroll is tight and just a overall negative experience. Pay is crap considering what you have to deal with sometimes.

Treat retail associates with higher pay. We need knowledge of products so we should get more than minimum wage.

BDR

I worked at OfficeMax

Pros

Salary and benefits are only good thing going for them

Cons

The Management and life balance

OfficeMax Photos

Officemax in Lewisville, TX. Hope this helps you find this place.
overstock