OfficeMax Reviews

1,006 Reviews
2.8
1,006 Reviews

Roland Smith

Pros
  • In my group they understand work life balance (in 29 reviews)

• I worked at OfficeMax to get through college so the flexible schedule of retail worked for me (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • Naperville HQ closing as position relocate to new Office Depot Office Max HR in Boca Raton (in 41 reviews)

• During that period the number of upper management roles continued to grow (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

Sexism and harassment

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Stony Brook, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Stony Brook, NY

I worked at OfficeMax part-time for more than a year

Pros

I really loved my coworkers when I worked there. I was only 16 when I started working there and some of the other coworkers became my good friends. There really isn't any other pros to list because the company is literally the worst company in the entire world. I worked in a retail store not the corp.

Cons

Sexual harassment: I had a manager texting me and some other girl associates asking them out or to see inappropriate pictures.
    Sexist: Only guys got promoted or got raises. There was a girl who had worked in printing for over 2 years and management promoted a new hire over her. Also one of my guy coworkers told me that the management told him they never promote or give girls raises.
    Pay: is absolutely despicable
    Management: see my first comment.

Fire yourself

Look elsewhere for a job.

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor  in  Dearborn, MI
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Dearborn, MI

I worked at OfficeMax full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most of my co-workers were a joy to work with and our regular customers were a delight.

Cons

If I was the manager on duty, my store team leader always understaffed me and made sure her shifts were more than adequately staffed. I was expected to do more work with less help. My job description said that I wouldn't have to lift anymore than 50lbs and that was a complete lie and as a result, I did further damage to my back. I was hired in at $12.50/hr because I had "no previous management experience" even though I had 15 years of retail experience and have a college degree. Also, if you have children, I would again rethink getting a job here. When my daughter was 16mos, she got a fever of 104 and we had to take her to the ER in the middle of the night and we didn't get home until almost 5am. My store team leader gave me such a tongue lashing when I called her to tell her I wasn't coming in that day. Sorry, my child comes first and foremost.

Follow job descriptions
    Schedule adequate staff
    Be a bit more understanding and compassionate to those who have special circumstances

There is better

Former Employee - Store Associate
    Former Employee - Store Associate

I worked at OfficeMax part-time for less than a year

Pros

The atmosphere created by your coworkers can be fun

Cons

You are treated like your nothing by management. The sales goals pressure you far beyond normal retail and can create stress. The amount of work they give you and the skill required is far beyond the pay they offer. Idk if it was just my store but the management seemed incompetent.

Raise your pay, have more employees out on the floor at all times and not just 2 at the busiest times and expect them to cover the whole store.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not Good!

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time for more than a year

Pros

None. I had a very poor experience.

Cons

Busy Work. No traffic most of week.

Horrible place to work, Rude Management

Current Employee - Print Supervisor  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Print Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I like my certain customers and the only thing that keeps me coming back. It was once a great place to work but that has gone down the drain. It was once a place I liked going to work, now I am trying to get out.

Cons

There is too many to list. Needs updated, there is too much being shoved in the customers face. Need to be more realistic in the customers eyes and not what you see it. The store I am at needs to weed out the managers. They have been with the company 20+ years and still cn't run the departments in the store. They are old, outdated and need to retire instead of sticking it out to retirement. They have no clue what they are doing and expect everyone else to do it for them. They have horrible attitudes. They harass employees and talk about them behind their backs. I have seen so many employees treated like crap until they left. If they would go the store would get better customers. Customers hate to deal with the store due to the managers low, disrespectful attitudes. Our sales ops like to scream and yell at employees in front of customer. She needs to leave and quit being a brown noser up the store managers butt. We have loss so many good managers and staff, because the store manager see no wrong it his incompetent managers running the store.

Visit the store in the evening and weekends and see how it is run. Our managers tend to sit in the office on the phone or hide somewhere and do planograms. It is rude to interrupt them for any help god forbid they could handle a customer. They make the employee do it. Also, they like to put on a show when they know you are coming. Of course, all corporate hides in the office and doesn't know what the real world customer wants.

Horrible

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent Hours
    Easy to get job

Cons

Horrible Managers
    Merging
    Horrible Pay
    immature managers
    just an overall crapy place to work i don't recommend it to anyone

Take care of your workers

high turn-Around, LOW WAGES, a race to The Bottom, Walmart & Officemax are leading the way.

Current Employee - BSA  in  Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - BSA in Torrance, CA

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

10% of Purchases for employees. weak...

Cons

We have to Work on ThanksGiving >:( we open at 8PM Thanksgiving day!!! i was outrages, but corprate can care less, all they know is MORE! MORE profit! MORE WORK ! FASTER! -at the same time giving part-time schedules and poverty wages.

High Employee Turn Around!

Raise the Darn Wages- Here in California the Minimum wage is going to be $9.00 Hr in July 2014, Management gave me a 15 cent raise- to barely bump be over the Minimum Wage.
    Talk about Ethics >:( We Cant Service on poverty Wages. Its Time for a Raise!

In way over their head for the SMB division. This division will not survive the merger with OD

Current Employee - Business Development Representative
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time for more than a year

Pros

Not too many. There a couple of good people who are willing to help

Cons

Quotas are way over done, division is at 35% to plan as whole. That should tell you something. Complete mess with all eyes on merger with Office Depot. Middle and upper management are all jockeying for position to keep job after merger They don't care who they step on in the process

Be honest and forthcoming. Don't use the old smoke and mirrors tricks. Stick to common goal instead of changing them weekly. Decide if you want new accounts or repeat business. Different story every week.

Bad Bad Bad

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Harwood Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Harwood Heights, IL

I worked at OfficeMax part-time for more than a year

Pros

Schedule flexibility
    Coworkers are what made this life tolerable.

Cons

You are overworked to death.
    Management ignores you.
    You are not taken seriously.
    Outdated equipment.
    No days off.
    Bad training.
    Bad selling tactics
    bait and switch

Please take the time to listen to your employees and actually care about them.

The most micromanaged company EVER!!!!!!!

Former Employee - Business Development Representative  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Orlando, FL

I worked at OfficeMax full-time for more than a year

Pros

Consisant pay check. Thats all.

Cons

No commision to be made. Everyday they are looking for a "WIN". No matter the size of the account, so they say. Buts if it to small you're gunna hear it from the great managers that are in place. They could never do what we do on the streets every day.

GET A LIFE. ITS PAPER AND PAPER CLIPS NOT LIFE AND DEATH. GET A REAL JOB. YOU STAY THERE FOR SO MANY YEARS CAUSE YOU CAN'T DO ANYTHING ELSE!!

OfficeMax Photos

Officemax in Lewisville, TX. Hope this helps you find this place.
overstock
The view from ImPress

+ Add Photo

Worked for OfficeMax? Contribute to the Community!