OfficeMax Reviews

1,245 Employee Reviews

1. Want a living wage? look somewhere else

Current Employee - Middle Management
    Current Employee - Middle Management

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You can meet people for networking.

Cons

The pay is horrible. I can't believe anyone who thinks this is a good career opportunity unless retail is all you're capable of. Bad management. Nobody seems to understand retail (this includes corporate). Raises barely cover inflation. Did I mention that there really isn't any opportunities for growth? Management is full of idiots. Our ASM seems to think that his job is to make everyone's lives miserable.

Advice to Management

Just give up on the company already. You merge two crappy companies together and you just get a pile of crap.

2. Tough, highly micro managed!

I have been working at OfficeMax

Pros

Large company with a lot of resources

Cons

Their delivery process is awful, especially when you are competing with WB Mason and Staples.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Horrible Experience

I have been working at OfficeMax

Pros

Co Workers, make your own schedule

Cons

Managers were horrible, pay was horrible

5. I worked for OfficeMax for two years and five months as a cashier and in the Impress Dept.

Former Employee - Cashier/ImPress Associate in Cullman, AL
    Former Employee - Cashier/ImPress Associate in Cullman, AL

I worked at OfficeMax part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My assistant manager always worked with me around my schedule.

Cons

Horrible pay, no compensation for hard work. I was part-time working full time hours, and getting paid as a part-timer, with no insurance. I knew how to do the job more than most of the managers. Hours would get cut as soon as I worked over 30 hours so many weeks in a row to avoid having to be made a full time position. NEVER try your hardest. It will be expected everytime with no compensation or recognition.

Really?

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked with some cool people.

Cons

Management is not on the same page, no training, no support from management, high turnover, no one really knows their roles or boundaries, too many chiefs. Even if you are a student just looking for a part-time job, think twice if you really want to work here! People that I thought were good workers all left; the new hires quit quickly. Don't you know how to screen people? The only thing consistent wasthemanagement was inconsistent.

OfficeMax...Where Good People Go To Die

Former Employee - Sales Specialist (Key Holder) in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist (Key Holder) in Buffalo, NY

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is very little to get excited about starting a job at OfficeMax. There is no leadership and the company values seem to consist of treating associates as poorly as possible and compensating them as poorly as possible.

Cons

Every aspect of working for officemax is upsetting. You will not be respected, you will not be compensated correctly for the work you perform, you will be degraded by managers. You will be asked to go above and beyond your job requirements on a daily basis as if it were expected, all with no gratitude or positive feedback. Managers walk around like conquerors doing little to no work and pawning it off on their associates who are to afraid to speak up about the unjust conditions. Managers act like school children. Working for this company has honestly been the worst experience of my professional career. I would not recommend this job to anyone.

Advice to Management

Managing means training associates correctly and helping them grow as people as well as professionals. However, in my years of experience with the company, managers seem more interested in drama, store politics and generally doing the least amount of work as possible, taking a true do as I say not as I do mentality. There is a reason why this company is slowly failing and closing stores left and right and it begins and ends with the managers and the complacency of corporate who allow them to treat associates as sub human.

8. Just walk away!

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay. Good vacation time. I used to love the people I worked with but most are leaving or have left.

Cons

Bad management. Disorganized and huge lack of resources to do your job. Everyday presents a challenge and not a good one. The company constantly rolls out new initiatives that are unsupported and very little info sent to stores. We are overwhelmed with deadlines and expectations everyday. The job is impossible. I have a successful store but it is a never ending battle to keep it that way.

Advice to Management

Keep your expectations simple and issue stores the resources and the information BEFORE setting unreasonable expectations. We are buried at store level day in and day out. It's simple. You want us to repair this many pcs a day. Here is your training. Here is your advertising means. Here is your payroll to actually accomplish this. We can get it done. Pile on 15 more services with little to no training and no additional payroll, it won't happen. You will never be successful.

9. Meh

I worked at OfficeMax

Pros

Good for people without job experience. Great for high school kids.

Cons

Miserable people, never directly recognize good work, won't promote without YEARS of experience.

Advice to Management

Actually give raises to people, stop taking your job too seriously; it's OfficeMax.

10. Merger was a lie!!

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It was a great company until the merger with Office Depot. Now it's going down the tubes. Don't go work for either company in management. You won't like it.

Cons

The merger with Office Depot was a joke. It was called a merger of equals. Hogwash. All the changes are Office Depot slanted and Max associates are getting the shaft.

11. No Direction

Former Employee - Business Development Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Business Development Representative in New York, NY

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really cant take anything positive away from this experience, wish I hadn't left my old job....

Cons

No Direction
    No Training
    Horrible Commission Structure
    Just recently started using a CRM

Advice to Management

Learn how to run a sales organization.

Showing 1,245 of 1,251 reviews