OfficeMax Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014
Updated August 26, 2014

2.8

Roland Smith

Pros
  • The work-life balance changed with the season (in 25 reviews)

• Most of the associates that you work with are fun to work around (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Naperville HQ closing as position relocate to new Office Depot Office Max HR in Boca Raton (in 38 reviews)

• During that period the number of upper management roles continued to grow (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

Exciting place to work, especially during the back-to-school season.

I have been working at OfficeMax

Pros

The work environment is good, and it is a pleasure to work around new technologies.

Cons

Pay is not fabulous, and not much room to move up in the company.

office max sucks

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Highlands Ranch, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Highlands Ranch, CO

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time for more than a year

Pros

impress is a fun place to work

Cons

They don't care about you at all. They make a lot of false promises.

Notice how most of the positive reviews are from management.

Former Employee - Sales  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at OfficeMax full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most employees are easy to work with, friendly, and look out for each other so long as you do the same. Vast majority of customers are kind and have an idea of what they want before arriving. Marginal commissions on service sales and occasionally special products. A good place to train your multitasking and selling skills.

Cons

Store level management is absolutely abysmal in all but a handful of stores every region. No accountability and constant scapegoating of lower level employees, which leads to high turnover and lower efficiency. OfficeMax seems to have a tendency of hiring downsized management from other retailers, although OfficeMax expectations are actually MUCH higher than other retailers and the payroll lower than average (significantly lower than places like target and best buy). "Veteran" officemax managers that understand the business dominate in sales and payroll while the other stores have management that suck up 80% of the total payroll while accomplishing next to (or exactly) nothing on a daily basis. These top managers are also flown in to help other stores frequently, which just makes me question why HQ isn't just firing the low performing managers. Employees pulled at random for tasks they are never trained for. Redundant managers are paid three to five times the base associate wage and do everything they can to avoid physically handing store operations, leaving only enough payroll for a handful of employees to cover the store operations. Low potential for growth and an incredibly unethical "maximum wage" set in place depending on title rather than merit.

Stop hiring employees from failed stores. They were fired/stores shut down for good reason. District managers need 1 unscheduled, bi-weekly check up on every store in the district to ensure that managers aren't sleeping on the job. Hold managers heavily accountable for employee evaluations and remove the wage caps to help managers retain top employees. TRAIN YOUR MANAGERS AND EMPLOYEES, AND QUESTION MANAGERS BEFORE THEY ARE GIVEN A STORE. The vast majority of problems are caused by management that can't even remember how to log into certain systems.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Be prepared to be over worked, extremely stressed, and under paid.

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor  in  Dearborn, MI
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Dearborn, MI

I worked at OfficeMax full-time for less than a year

Pros

- I enjoyed working with most of my coworkers and they enjoyed working with me. I was an Operations Supervisor and this was my first retail management position after having worked in retail for 15 years.
    - Some of the training is valuable, especially with the Microsoft Office and OS.
    - Benefits are pretty decent and reasonable in cost.

Cons

- Extremely under-staffed.
    - As a manager you are expected to get the same amount of work done as all other stores who have adequate staffing. To sum up, the workload is terribly unbalanced.
    - The pay was a joke. Again, I had worked for 15 years in retail and this was my first management position, but my store manager only offered me $12.50/hr. I was desperate for a full-time job so I took it. BIG MISTAKE!!!
    - As with all retail jobs, the customers could be unreasonable pains in the butt.
    - If you have a family (kids), think twice before applying for a management position. If you close, you'll never be able to tuck your kids in at night. Most weekday nights, I wasn't able to leave until almost midnight.
    - Very high turn over of employees. There was a new assistant manager at my store who quit within a week because she hated the job so much.

- Think more about the well-being of your employees.
    - Think better about who you hire for your store team leader positions. One of mine actually yelled at me in front of customers calling me an idiot and stupid.
    - Take into better consideration your employees who have families. Situations like cancelled child care and children getting sick happen and can't be helped. As a parent my first priority is my child. If she gets sick, I will take care of her. I will not pawn her off onto someone else when she's sick.

Awesome people to work with, corporate always seemed to get in the way.

Former Employee - BSA  in  Statesboro, GA
    Former Employee - BSA in Statesboro, GA

I worked at OfficeMax part-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoyed the staff I worked with. Selling computers and getting commission was nice (incredibly hard and small though).

Cons

Stock was always out, despite being one of the biggest stores in the region, yet the smaller stores always received more computers. Commissions were only given if you could sell a warranty (which were nice warranties, but still...) and if you got a commission, it was extremely low ($10 on a $2500+ purchase). our stocking ladder was re-welded multiple times very shoddy (I can tell because I'm certified in 4 welding

It's all downhill from here

Current Employee - Impress Associate
    Current Employee - Impress Associate

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people I work with are wonderful (for the most part). It's easy to get time off and the job itself is really not that difficult

Cons

With the current merger going on with Office Depot, we are really not doing well at all. Between turning OMax into a forced sales environment and issuing unreasonable (or ridiculous) demands, the new corporate office is bringing us up that famed creek without a paddle...

Respect your employees, and value them and their needs. Wages need to go up, as do opportunities for raises.

Merger with Office Depot and going downhill

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good people at my location

Cons

Constant change and never gets better. Too much expected in this environment.

We aren't in an office or even field management position. We pay the price of dealing with anyone who walks in the door and retail hours all with decreasing hourly pay. How can you really keep expecting more?

Print Production artist at OfficeMax

Current Employee - Print Production
    Current Employee - Print Production

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time for less than a year

Pros

Work experience in graphic design and print production. Voted most ethical company!

Flexible hours

Cons

No true advancement opportunities when already inside the company! They only allow a 20percent wage increase per promotion even though there are base pay for hiring out side workers. They do not meet base pay for internal hires / promotions. So get hired on at the highest possible if you plan to move up with in.

They do not train Photoshop or Graphic Design instead they hire college graduates and keep them with in their pay grade (which is not much more than minimum wage). If you are a serious Graphic Designer then DO NOT work here, it is a resume killer. Retail Print Shops in general do not seem to build experience as it is not seen as true graphic design position to other shops and graphic design firms. This may not be true for every one, but having Staples and Max on my resume has not brought me opportunities but instead pigeon holed me. Graphic Designers beware!

I would also like to add my manager also feels the need to constantly rub in college educated employees face's that he makes so much more money than them, even though he only has a highschool diploma. He abuses his power on a daily bases and it makes me sick to think he is the manager of a district training store.

This job has taught me to not work at a place where they only require a highschool diploma or GED for its managers.

Up the bar a little bit, require that your management be educated and be more selective. Watch your district managers closely to make sure they are keeping a professional relationship with its managers and not building drinking buddies that they stomp out flames for when they do some thing wrong. Promote within and pay your people good money, give them base pay too... It is important to keep the employees happy because we are customers too. If you hire college educated employees in graphic design pay them competitive wages for print shops! Change your name and change the way people view your print shops, educate your people and pay them for their education! Value their educations!

Too many things to do at once

Current Employee - Store Associate
    Current Employee - Store Associate

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time for more than a year

Pros

There is never a boring time. Even when it is slow there is plenty to do. Managers seem to try to work around employee schedules.

Cons

Often you are told to do many things at the same time...and they often conflict with each other. For example: running the register, have to answer the phone even if you are ringing a customer out. Also, having to recover the store away from the register, but get "reprimanded" for not being their when a customer pops up. I've been with the company for a year and make only 15 cents more than when I started. I have yet to be trained for Impress or on-the-floor sales. The spiffs are for the assurance program and the only ones register folk get to tackle are those that the sales staff couldn't sell in the first place.

Anyone can answer the phone! Usually the calls are for managers or Impress. So why make the front end person liable when there are several customers in line???

Great coworkers, current merger with office depot is making things difficult.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good coworkers, decent opportunities to grow within the store level. I have a great store manager and lots of paid time off.

Cons

Never enough payroll to properly staff the store which leads to very heavy workloads and lots of stress for store management. The current merger is making things very difficult for the time being.

Worked for OfficeMax? Contribute to the Community!