OfficeMax

1,076 Reviews
2.9
1,076 Reviews

Roland Smith

Pros
  • Work-life balance and time-off policies used to be pretty fair (in 33 reviews)

• Had a reasonably flexible schedule if you knew what you were doing (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Currently Office Depot merger has created a big loss of jobs for many OfficeMax employees (in 47 reviews)

• During that period the number of upper management roles continued to grow (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

Not good timing

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive

I have been working at OfficeMax full-time (less than an year)

Pros

great company and culture prior to the acquisition

Cons

The merger made everyone skittish and ready to be fired.

RIP OfficeMax; It was a great employer

Former Employee - Management in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Management in Chicago, IL

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company didn't always have the greatest financial results but always hired good people and treated them well. It was managed by good, kind, decent, and thoughtful people.

Cons

After the merger with Office Depot and decision to move the HQ to Florida and have the legacy Depot team run the company under an outside CEO, the company has lost its soul.

Current CEO is a short timer focused on costs only; by the time investors and analysts get serious about the need to address the revenue problem, the CEO will be long gone.

Fun place to work

Former Employee - Sales Associate - Office Max in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate - Office Max in Sacramento, CA

I worked at OfficeMax part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Learned a lot of things about office supplies and what's important in an office environment. Learn how to sell things to people. Team was awesome and so were managers. Everyone was helpful and offered help. The only thing I like was the team members felt like family to me. Work is work, lots of cons with the company. Even though I will never go back to working for them, I enjoyed my time there as the team members were great.

Cons

Alot. Pressured to sell things people don't really need like 100gb of cloud storage for $100. I was offered and pushed to take a sales specialist position (promotion), but there would be no pay increase. I declined as it was a "quota" position, but there would be no benefit to me. Then a few weeks later, they hire new guys for the position, gave them a high pay compared to what I received and I still had to trained them. Seriously? I gave up on the store after that. During sales I didn't really liked how the store manager would be in my ear trying to make me push multiple products when I'm trying to start a discussion with a customer. Although the team members were awesome, they cycled through a lot of employees. Of the employees that i was hired with, ALL but 1 was left in a 3 year time span. Even the store manager was different, and the 1 who was left is trying to leave. Last thing is, it seemed like every month they would be pushing some new services to sell on top of the hundreds we already had. Kind of annoying when you have 100s of services your manager wants you to push to one single customer.

Generally the store is fine. I know your trying to keep cost down, but when your employees lose morale don't expect them to be at the top of their game. Stay out of our ears when we're talking with customers. You make us lose our thought and a lot of times we cant even hear the customers. Take that as step one.

A great experience

Former Employee - Wen Programmer in Silver City, NM
    Former Employee - Wen Programmer in Silver City, NM

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people works there, is fun great with school supplies

Cons

The organizational changes very often

More communication with employees

good place to learn the basics of casheiring

Current Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fair amount of on site down time

Cons

dealing with angry customers about something thats out of your control

Low pay but friendly over all company besides the fact they are not tattoo and piercing friendly.

Former Employee - ImPress Specialist in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Former Employee - ImPress Specialist in Highlands Ranch, CO

I worked at OfficeMax part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy job, not too many difficult tasks, staff mostly friendly, good at giving you time off when requested

Cons

Low pay, very boring and feels like you're stuck in a rut

Don't make new policies involving jobs you've never done.

Easy work, with a lot of downtime.

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Battle Creek, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Battle Creek, MI

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Job was very laid back, customers were wonderful.

Cons

You get promotions based on length of time working there, not based on skill. Lots of social drama for a workplace.

Bad Company

I worked at OfficeMax part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Flexible scheduling
    -Was trained and mentored by a very good manager, who then went on to another job after working there for a few years.

Cons

-Low pay
    -high turnover
    -low employee morale
    -expected a lot of work for little in return
    -low staff, not enough people to help the customers
    -the culture was bad

hire more employees and actually promote good employees

Just like any other retail job, except with a used car salesman approach

Current Employee - Sales Consultant - Print Services
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant - Print Services

I have been working at OfficeMax part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discounts on some supplies and print services.

A few of the supervisors and managers are realistic people who care about their team and store enough to make the most out of corporate expectations.

Cons

- Mediocre pay
    - Not enough payroll for willing workers (or enough workers to effectively run a store for that matter)
    - Mediocre incentives to push the selling of services
    - Mediocre benefits package
    - Lack of upward mobility
    - Lack of employee retention
    - Not the most ethical company

Improve employee retention - Nurture your talent and give them opportunities to grow within the company.

Offer proper training for all employees across the board - Associates can't sell services they know nothing about. Offer training outside of the store like other companies (i.e. Samsung) that are both entertaining and educational.

Hire an actual cleaning crew for the store after closing hours - No employee, and I mean no employee wants to clean some inconsiderate guests feces off the floor and walls. Especially, when they have other major priorities and only get paid pennies to do it.

If your going to take away our holidays at least offer us a bonus along with our holiday pay - Leaving my family in the middle of our Thanksgiving dinner to work a 12 hour shift for an employer who doesn't care about my work/life balance or financial needs is not going to motivate me to sell services.

Note: I know OfficeMax wasn't always this bad, but it doesn't excuse it's current business practices. Get back to what made this a good company and seek to improve upon that. There is still a lot of uncertainty surrounding the merger with OfficeDepot, however, if things do not improve then I do not see a positive outlook for this company.

Buyout, not merger.

Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Greensboro, NC

I worked at OfficeMax full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Worked from home. Had a reasonably flexible schedule if you knew what you were doing.

Cons

Had a boss who was a total micro manager. Treated everyone like they were kids. Followed everything he said with, "....does that make sense?". Gets annoying if you aren't 12 years old.

Get someone who knows what they are doing. Hire someone who challenges upper management instead of being a box ticker.

OfficeMax Photos