Officeworks Superstores

Updated November 18, 2014
3.5

CEO

Part-time work at Officeworks

Former Employee - Team Member in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Team Member in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at Officeworks Superstores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good opportunity for training and advancements in career if you look in the right places. Great team and very friendly. Stays true to it's culture

Cons

Was not specifically encouraged to achieve personal growth

This job was second to none!

Former Employee - Techworks Sales Expert in Brisbane (Australia)
    Former Employee - Techworks Sales Expert in Brisbane (Australia)

I worked at Officeworks Superstores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, great pay, great environment, great perks, great employee discount, great training. This place has everything you could want in a job. This was my first retail job and it certainly set the bar high for every other place. They have some big boots to fill.

Cons

I didn't experience any cons to working for this company. The only reason I don't still work for them is that I had to move away.

Keep doing what you're doing and you'll keep everyone happy.

Experience as a Technology Team Member

Current Employee - Team Member in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Team Member in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Officeworks Superstores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people who work here are nice and friendly. Some of them are a reason to cheer up my day at work. Not much of stress in the job. I dont need to carry the work home! I love working here and would want to continue here. Also the staff discount is very nice feature.

Cons

While I enjoy working here, I dont see much increase in my Income levels. Another bit which can vary from location to location is too much of micromanagement.

Please dont give so much emphasis on micro management. Put effort to understand the employees not questioning!

Clear strategic objectives, great culture and people but management is a bit of a boy's club.

I worked at Officeworks Superstores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Clear strategic objectives, clear expectations of employees, eastern suburbs location, an environment where you "get things done", accessible leadership programs, great IT infrastructure, shares issued to employees, sample sales, gift sent out to employees. The office is a single floor open layout and it creates a great community feel amongst employees and you will make some great friends too working at Officeworks. This is a great team environment compared to other corporate organisations. IT project and system changes are done quickly due to lack of governance and process, competent IT team can maintain stability in this environment and work well. Plenty of car parking. Mailroom is flexible with personal deliveries. Great retail training opportunities. Great emphasis on supporting stores and a culture of "stores" being the key customer of the support office. There is no "head" office arrogance mentality from the old school Coles Myer days.

Cons

The current MD, "Wardy" is uncompromising, focused on achieving his objectives set to him by the Home Improvement group within Wesfarmers. Since starting at Officeworks the whole senior leadership team has turned over - building a team with good relationships is not Officeworks strength and it flows from the top all the way down. The core merchandise business has pockets of great quality team members who know their craft which is let down by incompetence in other parts of the business. The clear strategy however keeps the business on the right track despite some short comings in support office capability. Officeworks runs a low cost environment due to low margins in retail and therefore pays as low as it can afford to - if you are an experienced hire, negotiate hard and get yourself a good wage and don't expect any rises during your time there even if you are a star performer. If you're cutting your teeth and coming off a low base, don't expect your pay to be brought up to market rates. You will need to leave or get a counter offer is management deem you to be a "keeper". There is a culture of "Just do it" from management which can lead to cowboy decision making and where critical business priority of work is ignored and less important initiatives get done. The IT team is all done in house by a competent team who keep the systems running smoothly. They are let down by the wild west culture and sometimes initiatives can go a little pear shaped due to the lack of process and rigour. The flip side is changes hit production very quickly. There is a boy's club in the leadership team which can make it difficult for career progression. For example a leadership role was made vacant and filled immediately with the role not being advertised for applicants and no eyebrows raised from HR. Climate surveys taken once a year - would be great if the negative feedback provided is taken on board and actually rectified. They should be seen as opportunities to improve the company's culture

Current MD has the business running in good shape, but not great. It's lean but not mean, however customers overall are happy with their shopping experience at Officeworks but there's still plenty of room for improvement. The business has been well led through market conditions since the GFC. Officeworks has the capability of being a top Australian employer if the incompetence in the business is weeded out and the company values of "making it a great place" were walked and not talked. The boys club culture in the management team causes a high turnover where high performers become disillusioned with their efforts and end up leaving - this needs to stop. A change of senior leadership is required to breathe new life into the organisation.

Great training and team culture, but a lack of guidance and return for managers

I worked at Officeworks Superstores full-time

Pros

Team member training. Team culture and values. Team member benefits. Tea member inductions. Customer service initiatives. Values and strategy.

Cons

Poor salary for expectations. Lack of career opportunities. Poor development plans. Bad work/life balance. No incentive plans for managers

Disgraceful, pathetic, disorganised, poor management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Officeworks Superstores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I guess the aircon was good

Cons

The staff couldn't even speak english, the management were clueless and the pay structure was poor

Learn some English and stop stalking the customers and workers

officeworks superstore pty ltd
    bentleigh east

Current Employee - IT Support Officer in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - IT Support Officer in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Officeworks Superstores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good long term benefits
    many internal oppoturnites

Cons

understaffed
    cutting down labor hours

jobs to be distributed evenly

One of the best work cultures

Former Employee - Assistant Sales Associate in Ballarat (Australia)
    Former Employee - Assistant Sales Associate in Ballarat (Australia)

I worked at Officeworks Superstores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Best business and corporate strategies. very much aligned with cutting edge business practices in the world. that is why internal culture is friendly and the results is satisfied customer and continuous innovation and growth. my personal experiences at Ballarat is more than wonderful and i still missing my team and work place.

Cons

the only things comes to my mind is compensation and benefits.

i admire your strategies and its implementation. Any thoughts of extending fine art and graphic artists' materials? i believe there is huge potential and growth in an art section.