Ofori & Associates

Be The First To
Add Photos

Resume Builder

Closing Specialist (Current Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsWorking directly with the government boosts your resume. The atmosphere is entirely laid back and the workload isn't wholly demanding. The company itself works on a contract basis, so in the event of contract renewal falling through, there isn't too much concern for being stuck at one particular place if that is a qualm for you.

ConsThe company is laid back almost to a fault and is in dire need of staff reduction. Working only half of a person's job can become tiresome in and of itself as the job itself affords far too much downtime for 95% of the employees. The other 5% seem overworked as they're picking up the slack from those who choose to work at a leisurely pace. There's not necessarily a whole lot of room for growth. At the end of the contract your employment status could be up in the air as it's uncertain if the contract will be renewed.

Advice to Senior ManagementAttrition. Review the capabilities and workflow of your employees and make the tough cuts wherever possible. Use some of the saved costs of cutting employees to offset the frustration of other employees needed to take on additional work to combat attrition.

Small company still getting it's footing and figuring out how to operate smoothly.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt is a sizable paycheck for individuals with little to no experience in the field of asset management. The staff is very nice and welcoming of new employees. It is a small office and very much feels like one. Everybody knows everybody. This is your basic office job with normal business hours.

ConsThere was a revolving door for the manager and team lead positions in my old department. People are brought in from outside the company for these upper level positions instead of current employees being promoted from within (who have the knowledge and experience necessary to better perform the job functions for these titles). This ultimately puts unnecessary strain on the department because it is then being run by two individuals who receive minimal training and are clueless for the most part about what's going on.

Upper management in my old department was comprised of a married couple that shared side by side offices. I honestly assumed this wouldn't be allowed from an HR standpoint, but it was this way from the day I was hired until the day I left. If one of them isn't happy with you, you midaswell just start packing up your belongings and heading for the unemployment line. Scenarios like this should not be allowed in a professional work environment.

For this company, the phrase "it's not what you know, it's who you know" has never been more apparent. I had never been with a company where so many of the employees are related. Nepotism at it's finest. If you don't know somebody that already works here, your chances of getting hired are bleak.

Advice to Senior ManagementAssess what your actual staffing needs are and hire accordingly. Employees are constantly leaving because of the overwhelming performance expectations placed on them. These people should not have to be working 7a-7p to makeup for the lack of the company realizing how much staff they actually need.

Promote from within whenever possible. Employees are also leaving because they realize there is no opportunity for advancement once they reach a certain level. When they hit that glass ceiling, you can be assured they will be out the door as soon as they find a company that caters more to their career goals and desire to advance.

Don't work here unless you are completely desperate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsIf you need a 9-5 job, it works. Most co-workers are nice. Health/dental/vision insurance was only $1/month each, which is a good deal.

ConsManagement is unqualified, to say the least. Never proactive, and 90% have no business being managers. The people who became managers were the first to apply to the company in 2010- that is their only reason for being managers. No special skills, many did not go to college, and most just got hired through a friend. There is NO motivation to work hard, so you end up slacking off like most of the employees there. Your reward for working hard is more work, to help the slackers catch up. No raises, not even after great employee reviews. Only one bonus per year, which they manage to make insulting to at least half the staff in some way (like giving some people more than others, without warning or explanation). The company culture is awful, and at this point, no one cares about anything- just get through each day and collect a paycheck. It is soul-crushing, and you end up being treated worse if you bother management with suggestions for improvement. Even aside from the company's failures, working for HUD is awful, too. Their policies do not make any sense and aren't fair- and Ofori's employees have the joy of explaining them to buyers. The managers all liked me and treated me well, cause I am a good worker, and I still have nothing but bad things to say about this place. I had a few nightmares after I left, too.

Advice to Senior ManagementDemote yourselves and hire experienced, qualified managers. ASK employees about policies and procedures before changing them, cause your ideas don't make sense and tend to be patronizing. Communication needs improvement desperately. I know they won't take any measures to improve, however. Also, have manager reviews, because most of the managers don't do anything- the office manager made herself records manager too, instead of promoting someone else-- did she ever actually touch a file or solve any of the MANY problems the records department has? Of course not. Get rid of the ineffective management, and the whole business would improve. Lastly, please realize that you have MANY very good workers who are simply too disillusioned to do their best- provide performance-based incentives, and you will finally see the talent that you keep overlooking.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unprofessional Manager

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe owner is sincere and encouraging.

ConsSome managers are not qualified to be in management. No communication, no guidelines, and no recognition...overall chaotic working environment..

Advice to Senior ManagementBe Courteous and develop some departmental process Manuel.

Its JUST a Job!!

Accounting Specialist (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThey gave me a job when I needed a job even though they did not interview me or the other 50 people who work in the Atlanta office.

ConsYou work tons of long hours and they won't pay overtime. The owners don't know enough about the contracting business to make a profit. Slow to pay employees and 90 days or more to pay vendors. No opportunities for upward mobility. This is definetly a friend establishment. If you know someone who is in management or someone who thinks they are management. You will probably get hired skill or no skill.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to run a government contract. Learn where your money is going. Please do a performance appraisal of those that are getting paid 50k but who do nothing all day long. Pay attention before you lose the contract.

Worked for Ofori & Associates? Contribute to the Community!