Ofori & Associates

Updated December 8, 2014
Updated December 8, 2014
2.2

CEO

Great job to get you from point A to point B

Current Employee - Closing Specialist in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Ofori & Associates full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hours are good and the pay is decent

Cons

No opportunity to grow. Your doing the same thing every day.

Management not really Management Material

Current Employee - Closing Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Closing Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Ofori & Associates full-time

Pros

Compensation for employees are okay. The most rewarding is the health care benefits which are $1.

Cons

Managers do not take responsibility nor are they qualified to be managers. It's all about who you know in order to have ANY position in the company. If you rub elbows with the upper management and suck up pretty well you can ensure a position. If you know anything more than the "managers" who fell through the cracks and got a promotion because they were friends with someone in HR, they feel threatened. This job is made for anyone who doesn't know anything about REO. I'm not sure how you can put a group of unskilled and unknowing workers together and call the business a functioning unit. HUD's worst choice for an AM. There is no room for growth and once you realize that you quickly want to leave. Do not work here if you seek reward for your work and you want more than the cap that they place on you. Believe me the ceiling is extremely low here!!! And besides this is a contract job, who knows when the contract will end? It could be any day now and we would never know because of the lack of communication with management.

HR and Upper Management should fire themselves and let someone who knows better fill the positions.

Fair

I have been working at Ofori & Associates

Pros

Obtain knowledge on the REO process

Cons

Communication skills, is what this company lack.

Need Mangerial/Leadership skills in order to run a successful company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Ofori & Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Gives you an opportunity to get experience for a long term career.

Cons

It is a 5-year contract job. They have to bid every five years to maintain their contractual agreement.

Listen to employees to help grow the company.

Resume Builder

Current Employee - Closing Specialist in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Ofori & Associates full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working directly with the government boosts your resume. The atmosphere is entirely laid back and the workload isn't wholly demanding. The company itself works on a contract basis, so in the event of contract renewal falling through, there isn't too much concern for being stuck at one particular place if that is a qualm for you.

Cons

The company is laid back almost to a fault and is in dire need of staff reduction. Working only half of a person's job can become tiresome in and of itself as the job itself affords far too much downtime for 95% of the employees. The other 5% seem overworked as they're picking up the slack from those who choose to work at a leisurely pace. There's not necessarily a whole lot of room for growth. At the end of the contract your employment status could be up in the air as it's uncertain if the contract will be renewed.

Attrition. Review the capabilities and workflow of your employees and make the tough cuts wherever possible. Use some of the saved costs of cutting employees to offset the frustration of other employees needed to take on additional work to combat attrition.

Small company still getting it's footing and figuring out how to operate smoothly.

I worked at Ofori & Associates

Pros

It is a sizable paycheck for individuals with little to no experience in the field of asset management. The staff is very nice and welcoming of new employees. It is a small office and very much feels like one. Everybody knows everybody. This is your basic office job with normal business hours.

Cons

There was a revolving door for the manager and team lead positions in my old department. People are brought in from outside the company for these upper level positions instead of current employees being promoted from within (who have the knowledge and experience necessary to better perform the job functions for these titles). This ultimately puts unnecessary strain on the department because it is then being run by two individuals who receive minimal training and are clueless for the most part about what's going on.

Upper management in my old department was comprised of a married couple that shared side by side offices. I honestly assumed this wouldn't be allowed from an HR standpoint, but it was this way from the day I was hired until the day I left. If one of them isn't happy with you, you midaswell just start packing up your belongings and heading for the unemployment line. Scenarios like this should not be allowed in a professional work environment.

For this company, the phrase "it's not what you know, it's who you know" has never been more apparent. I had never been with a company where so many of the employees are related. Nepotism at it's finest. If you don't know somebody that already works here, your chances of getting hired are bleak.

Assess what your actual staffing needs are and hire accordingly. Employees are constantly leaving because of the overwhelming performance expectations placed on them. These people should not have to be working 7a-7p to makeup for the lack of the company realizing how much staff they actually need.

Promote from within whenever possible. Employees are also leaving because they realize there is no opportunity for advancement once they reach a certain level. When they hit that glass ceiling, you can be assured they will be out the door as soon as they find a company that caters more to their career goals and desire to advance.

Don't work here unless you are completely desperate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Ofori & Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you need a 9-5 job, it works. Most co-workers are nice. Health/dental/vision insurance was only $1/month each, which is a good deal.

Cons

Management is unqualified, to say the least. Never proactive, and 90% have no business being managers. The people who became managers were the first to apply to the company in 2010- that is their only reason for being managers. No special skills, many did not go to college, and most just got hired through a friend. There is NO motivation to work hard, so you end up slacking off like most of the employees there. Your reward for working hard is more work, to help the slackers catch up. No raises, not even after great employee reviews. Only one bonus per year, which they manage to make insulting to at least half the staff in some way (like giving some people more than others, without warning or explanation). The company culture is awful, and at this point, no one cares about anything- just get through each day and collect a paycheck. It is soul-crushing, and you end up being treated worse if you bother management with suggestions for improvement. Even aside from the company's failures, working for HUD is awful, too. Their policies do not make any sense and aren't fair- and Ofori's employees have the joy of explaining them to buyers. The managers all liked me and treated me well, cause I am a good worker, and I still have nothing but bad things to say about this place. I had a few nightmares after I left, too.

Demote yourselves and hire experienced, qualified managers. ASK employees about policies and procedures before changing them, cause your ideas don't make sense and tend to be patronizing. Communication needs improvement desperately. I know they won't take any measures to improve, however. Also, have manager reviews, because most of the managers don't do anything- the office manager made herself records manager too, instead of promoting someone else-- did she ever actually touch a file or solve any of the MANY problems the records department has? Of course not. Get rid of the ineffective management, and the whole business would improve. Lastly, please realize that you have MANY very good workers who are simply too disillusioned to do their best- provide performance-based incentives, and you will finally see the talent that you keep overlooking.

Unprofessional Manager

I have been working at Ofori & Associates

Pros

The owner is sincere and encouraging.

Cons

Some managers are not qualified to be in management. No communication, no guidelines, and no recognition...overall chaotic working environment..

Be Courteous and develop some departmental process Manuel.

Its JUST a Job!!

Current Employee - Accounting Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Accounting Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Ofori & Associates

Pros

They gave me a job when I needed a job even though they did not interview me or the other 50 people who work in the Atlanta office.

Cons

You work tons of long hours and they won't pay overtime. The owners don't know enough about the contracting business to make a profit. Slow to pay employees and 90 days or more to pay vendors. No opportunities for upward mobility. This is definetly a friend establishment. If you know someone who is in management or someone who thinks they are management. You will probably get hired skill or no skill.

Learn how to run a government contract. Learn where your money is going. Please do a performance appraisal of those that are getting paid 50k but who do nothing all day long. Pay attention before you lose the contract.