Ogilvy & Mather

Ogilvy & Mather Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Ogilvy & Mather Global CEO Miles Young

Miles Young

Pros:
  • "Work / Life balance is pretty good and you get the X'mas / New Year week off"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Great people who really work hard to try and make the company successful"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance not easy to find (never is in this industry)"
    in 21 reviews
  • "Giving your best might mean work long and long hours in the office"
    in 21 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

intern

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather

ProsSurrounded by many interesting and creative people. and a good name to be on resume. I was lucky enough that one senior analyst left the company so the team gave me a lot of projects to work on.

Consnot a lot training provided to interns. you are more on your own. and it really depends on your direct boss if he is willing to let you to take the lead.

Advice to Senior ManagementHR are not nice

Great people, but all the perils of a big agency.

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people here are really great - the kind you'd stay in touch with personally and professionally for many years. It makes the worst days tolerable and the best days memorable. The company name also obviously comes with a great reputation in the industry that's great to carry with you for the rest of your career.

ConsBig agencies lose sight of the little people. It's hard to get noticed in a culture of sometimes just getting things done and out the door to make the clients happy to make money for the company - leads to work that can be hard to put behind a justification for a raise or promotion. Big agencies also move like snails so the culture and the thinking here can sometimes be dated and slower to catch up to the rest of the industry. If your background is primarily digital, you might find it hard to adjust.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a closer tie between HR and upper management when it comes to reviews, raises, employee anniversaries, internal job openings, etc. This is important in ensuring continued employee growth. Mass HR employees to arbitrarily fill out a self-evaluation and goals template without any direct manager follow up and/or discussion isn't helpful.

they fire as much as they hire

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather full-time

Prosit's a great name on your cv, the rank and file are really nice people

Consincredibly silo-ed and political, completely un-integrated still, after all these years

Advice to Senior Managementif only they'd focus on the bottom of the pyramid more and focus on how the work gets done instead of the small cabal of managers at the very top of the pyramid

Good for large holding company

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStrong Creative leadership and tight knit group.

ConsWeak leadership in other areas across the agency.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire stronger people in account management and other areas.

Human Resources

Human Resources (Former Employee)

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe playfully professional culture is filled with the nicest people ever. The culture is one unmatched by any other company I've worked for. There is truly a sense of family here. Creativity is embedded and expected in everything we do! And the fact that there's no dress code helps. So many great perks: gym, medical center, massages, cafeteria, free coffee, tea and hot chocolate, etc. Great benefits and time off.

ConsThere are some fundamental challenges within the structure of compensation. Because WPP owns and operates, there have been times when people don't receive increases for 3+ years. This is the most frustrating thing about working there.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of your own way. Sometimes decisions require so many people that the waters get muddied and it takes double, triple the time to get something done.

great place to learn

Senior Planner (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather full-time for more than 3 years

Prosso many smart people. lots of resources.

Conslacking in culture. very quiet. process-driven.

Tiny amount of top creative talent to guide you but not good enough to inspire - nowhere near

Associate Creative Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBig company with big accounts and potential, no talent in US specially at the very top but there is some elsewhere in the global network.

ConsCreative talent/ambition in NY office non-existent - not an opinion, a fact: Ogilvy was top network at Cannes two years running with zero Lions/contribution from Ogilvy US. A glaring con.

Advice to Senior ManagementNew top management - particularly creative but not exclusively - desperately needed at Ogilvy US NOW! Perhaps Miles Young be more directly involved there?

Media Planner

Media Planner (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat company culture! Everyone works very hard and is an expert in their area.

ConsLots of work to do!

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk more questions to entire team.

Great experience

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather full-time

ProsAmazing people- smart, sharp, hip, hard workers
Great mentorship
Ogilvy works on so many different types of projects, you have the chance to try many different things

ConsPolitical
Competitive
Associates tend to leave bc they feel like interns

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication within the company needs to be better. Even though I had a great experience there was an air of disorganization and disjointedness

It was an ok place to be for a bit.

Web Developer (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather full-time for more than a year

ProsSome good procedures in place that worked well. I could feel the office management wanted to foster culture, but had no clue how to. Large team of people to learn from.

ConsVery inflexible hours. Lack of collaboration. Lack of loyalty, no job security, people would be let go over lunch. More concerned with hitting deadlines than doing a good job.

Worked for Ogilvy & Mather? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ogilvy & Mather reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ogilvy & Mather CEO Miles Young. All 308 reviews posted anonymously by Ogilvy & Mather employees.