Ogilvy & Mather

Ogilvy & Mather Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Ogilvy & Mather Global CEO Miles Young

Miles Young

Pros
  • Work / Life balance is pretty good and you get the X'mas / New Year week off(in 10 reviews)

• Great people who really work hard to try and make the company successful(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Impossible to have a work life balance due to work pressure and insane expectations from employees(in 23 reviews)

• Giving your best might mean work long and long hours in the office(in 22 reviews)

Great benefits and culture with terrific client base.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsSiloed organizations make it challenging to collaborate.

ConsLacks strong digital strategy.

An invaluable experience at an agency with unrivaled office culture. I loved my time at Ogilvy & Mather in Chicago!

Account Management Intern (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGave interns a voice
    High level of responsibility
    Great employees
    Awesome perks - coffee bar, food in the office, free ice cream, sports teams and employee massages

ConsJob security seems questionable
    Work long hours when necessary

Phenomenal.

Account Management (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThere are so many pleasant people that I worked under during my time here. I was treated as an employee right off the bat and can only recall one moment where I had to something "intern-y".

Extremely hands on experience.

ConsI can't name anything terrible that I encountered during my short time here. But I would say that being an intern doesn't necessarily transition into full time employment with this agency.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Account Management

Account Executive (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsYou have Ogilvy on your resume

Constop heavy and no room for advancement. They favor the weak and the ones who actually work, they keep down

Overhyped

Consultant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsReputation and name
    Benefits and perks
    Company environment

ConsLocation
    Difficult to move up in the company
    Not everyone is smart and bright
    No one follows the formal review process, therefore difficult to get promotions

Advice to Senior ManagementShow appreciation for your employees be actually offering promotions and salary increases

Assistant Account Executive

Account Executive (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe employees are what fuel the company. Even with all of the cons there's a great number of talented people with great personalities, which bring life to what can sometimes be a dull office. They're flexible in terms of schedule, they wont monitor your every move so if you happen to take longer than an hour for lunch it's okay as long as you get your work done. Also, depending on your team they're willing to work with your availability if you prefer to work-from-home some days. They do try to keep the office lively with events and community service projects, and they have bagel friday's which is great when you forget to eat breakfast.

ConsIt's not uncommon in advertising to put in long hours and not get paid what your worth, but when hard-working people spend years taking a client's business to the next level you would think that a raise would accompany the accomplishments. In the year that I was there I talked to many people who said they didn't receive raises in over two years. In addition, there is no real leadership in this office. Employees are often managing themselves and even new employees will find that they have to go and find out information instead of being told up front, which slows down productivity and makes simple tasks much longer. Also, the office is losing a lot of it's younger talent due to the fact that they feel unappreciated and the clients that they continue to bring in are not open to more creative projects. It's very much so a production shop, where the client sends what they want and the employees reproduce. Not too much innovative practices coming out of here, which is very frustrating for someone who looks to do more creative projects. All-in-all the lack of leadership, creativity, and long hours with no compensation make it a very frustrating environment to work in.

Good place to work, chance to work on all kinds of clients and projects -- and even move around between cities or countr

Associate Creative Director (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood clients, good place to work, lots of smart people

ConsDigital development capabilities don't match creative and strategic.

Advice to Senior Managementget great at making things

It is What You Make It

ProsGlobal network, broad client roster and reputation as a leader in the industry. Smart, clever and interesting people will be your colleagues.

ConsTraining is client-by-client so not consistent. Can be top heavy with tons of red tape making it difficult to be nimble. No longer viewed as a trend-setter or innovator in industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore personal interest with front-line team to find out what motivates them.

Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsOpen culture, very flexible, big brand

Conslack of structure and training

A very dynamic and fun-filled environment

Intern (Former Employee)

ProsIt is one of the most prestigious agencies and lives up to the tag effortlessly. People love what they do and are constantly striving to deliver the best possible results to their clients.

ConsOdd working hours, which can get very challenging at times. The agency needs to have better flow of communication between various departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management should introduce a formal internship program in the Kolkata office.

Worked for Ogilvy & Mather? Contribute to the Community!