Ogilvy & Mather Reviews

Reset
3.6
Ogilvy & Mather Global CEO Miles Young
Miles Young

Pros
  • Excellent work life balance, creative environment (in 11 reviews)

• Some really smart people to learn from (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • There is an effort shown by management to maintain a work-life balance but it definitely has some room for improvement (in 26 reviews)

• It's a culture where long hours and exhausted people are considered de rigeur and almost a matter of pride (in 24 reviews)

1. good chance to start

Current Employee - ACD in New York, NY
    Current Employee - ACD in New York, NY

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather full-time (More than a year)

Pros

idea driven, Good cutrul, learning.

Cons

OT is too much, out of control

Advice to Management

be management.

2. Work with the best talent

Former Employee - Global Brand Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Global Brand Director in New York, NY

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Ogilvy is the most networked of all networks, so if you're looking to work for a truly global company, Ogilvy is a top choice -Ogilvy's philosophy is Twin Peaks. All content must deliver creatively and effectively. If you are a believer of this approach, then this is a great place to work in -Ogilvy's work culture is one of the best - divine discontent, informal, diversity

Cons

-You have to manage your own career planning, whether it is scaling up in a country, region or globally. The HR function does not focus on career planning, unfortunately.

Advice to Management

Ogilvy has great talent which it constantly loses to other companies. People like working at Ogilvy, in general. To continue to retain good talent, it is important to focus on career planning for talent. This needs to be a top agenda for Ogilvy.

3. Intern Review

Former Employee - Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Intern in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Open office structure makes it easy to form relationships with senior leadership, fun and lively work atmosphere, dynamic and challenging opportunities for growth

Cons

Being an intern, sometimes I had to wait to be given tasks, so I had down time sometimes, but this is true of any internship.

Boundaries

Pros

Ogilvy & Mather was my first job out of teaching. I had zero experience in the advertising industry, and yet, Ogilvy took a chance on me. I started off in project management as a Print Traffic Manager, and in less than year, transitioned to joining their founding brand design team. If anything, that was a testament to their open mind and willingness to integrate people from a variety of backgrounds and skill-sets.

Cons

The work load was full-on, yet manageable. The only downside, and I attribute this to being green, is that I did not set boundaries. As such, 5 years at Ogilvy was the equivalent of 10, given the hours put in. I certainly learned a lot about the ad industry and feel like I 'grew up' in the professional sense. So, no regrets there. Just lessons learned.

6. Hectic, but smart people and nice environment

Former Employee - Associate Director, Technology Management in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Director, Technology Management in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ogilvy has a lot of smart people, cool projects, and a very nice office.

Cons

Office is all the way on 11th Ave., so it's far from the subway, but there is private shuttle service, and the cafeteria rules!

7. Tech

Pros

Incredible. I love this place. Best job I ever got. Although I didn't get the job directly under them. I work for them.

Cons

There are some confusions. And 'not attended' matter. We could improve with.

Advice to Management

I always advice my self to do the lowest job in the company in order to understand processes. And create rules according to that. Management should communicate with employee and employees should communicate with management in order to address each other's concerns.

8. Great place to work

Pros

You get to work with top minds in the industry.

Cons

Big company might not be right for everyone.

9. Great culture, a bit staid

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather (More than a year)

Pros

Strong identity, high emphasis on people. Very organized.

Cons

Not enough emphasis on the work, particularly within account management

Advice to Management

Place higher emphasis and priority on the work to increase vibrancy in culture. More women leaders please!

Account Executive

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather full-time

Pros

Great place to start your career, especially if you are in account management. There is a strong community in the agency and helps a person grow. Plus since it's a big place you have access to just about any other type of brand and team.

Cons

In the entry level stage the hours can be long and annoying. There are many levels on most teams, so it can be hard to see an opportunity to grow and advance. Plus at times getting thing approved or out the door take a while due to the levels. Also does not pay well until you are at a senior level.

Advice to Management

For entry level employees they should either provide clearer career paths for growth and promotions, or at minimum pay them better.

11. Overall pretty good experience

Former Employee - Digital Strategist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Digital Strategist in New York, NY

Pros

Very rigorous strategy practice; supportive management and fair treatment; smart and friendly coworkers that help to push your work and career forward; endless resources as a major agency with key clients

Cons

Hectic and disorganized client management; some minor organization issues keeping track of all the company's employees; heavy red tape from within and holding company

Advice to Management

Continue to help grow new talent

RSS Feed </> Embed