Ogilvy & Mather Reviews

436 reviews filtered by
3.7
Ogilvy & Mather Global CEO Miles Young
Miles Young

Pros
  • Work / Life balance is pretty good and you get the X'mas / New Year week off (in 11 reviews)

• Amazing and diverse clients, great work environment, incredibly smart people (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Impossible to have a work life balance due to work pressure and insane expectations from employees (in 26 reviews)

• Giving your best might mean work long and long hours in the office (in 24 reviews)

Fantastic if you're lucky enough to work with the design group

Current Freelancer - Freelance Designer in Chicago, IL
    Current Freelancer - Freelance Designer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather (More than a year)

Pros

Great mentorship, great sense of community within the design group, opportunities to do really cool pro bono work, fun company events, bloody mary bar on fridays, summer fridays

Cons

Lack of concern for design outside of design group, lack of communication between creatives and account execs, can get frustrating as a designer

Advice to Management

Promote more cohesion between departments, better filter what work gets assigned to designers, art directors, etc., take control of your own finances

2. great place

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather

Pros

smart work, driven to win awards and improve clients' businesses

Cons

tough work load. long hours. no raises.

3. Lots of promise left unfulfilled

Current Employee - Senior Planner in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Planner in New York, NY

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather

Pros

Excellent colleagues, loads of great opportunities, ample resources. On some accounts there are true opportunities to create really amazing work across channels. Fantastic to be a part of a highly regarded and award-winning agency.

Cons

Bloated bureaucracy and rigid hiearchical organization that thwarts risk-taking and innovative behavior. Account-led thinking is fundamentally conservative. Can be a boring, cubicle-rich place to work with high demands on employee time.

5. Great Intern Program

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather

Pros

At Ogivly I really felt as though the company provides the tools necessary in developing your skills.

Cons

It's hard to navigate around the office, the work is very relationship based and it seems as though its a difficult place to start

Advice to Management

Providing more time off to employees seems like it would be vital to the company. Most employees are very overworked.

6. Excellent company that continues to innovate

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ogilvy is a company that has weathered the storm of a constantly evolving industry. It is founded on solid professional ethics.

Cons

Advertising agencies are fighting to determine their relevance in the new digital age. Some are merging, some are diversifying. Either way, their long-term future is questionable.

Advice to Management

Focus on your core values and you will survive

7. Great experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather

Pros

Ogilvy is filled with some of the smartest, nicest, and cleverest people around. As others have said, they'll throw you in at the deepest end, and that's not for the faint-hearted – but if you're up for a serious challenge, on the biggest brands, the biggest problems, and can handle a bewildering array of collaborative networks, it's a great experience.

Cons

Raises were non-existent, even with a record of outstanding achievement. Hours were frequently long, sometimes back-breaking. It is a very big place, and if you're not extending your connections at every moment, you will get left in the dust. Location is not the best, far out on 11th Avenue.

Advice to Management

Your employees are hyper-multi-talented, and should be given more opportunity to contribute in an organic fashion that extends naturally from the project at hand.

Summer Internship Experience

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather

Pros

Great Place to work at.

Cons

The commute there wasn't fun.

Process-focused organization with little regard for its employees

Former Employee - Strategic Planner in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Strategic Planner in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company does a fantastic job of hiring. Everyone I worked with was not only good at what they did professionally, but was legitimately enjoyable to work with. My coworkers made my experience bearable

Cons

No advancement opportunities. As is the trend in many agencies, you're told directly that you will not be advanced or given a raise (that my manager regularly acknowledged that I deserved) unless another offer is on the table.

No mobility. You tend to be slotted into a role until you leave. Employees are not given the opportunity to work outside of their initial client and are regularly placed on a direct path to burnout.

No backfill. People quit. Oftentimes they are not replaced, placing their load on the shoulders of the remaining employees, hastening their burnout.

Senior management. It seems very insulated and ignorant of the daily goings on of the agency. The culture has grown increasingly toxic and management hasn't noticed or hasn't taken any actions to try to fix it.

Advice to Management

Focus on culture. When I started it was fantastic, when I left it was toxic. Reward existing employees for good work rather than forcing them to absorb the load from fired and departed employees. Stop forcing and encouraging your employees to seek work elsewhere in order to secure raises and title changes that they deserve. That's how you lose good people.

10. Friendly environment with helpful staff

Former Contractor - Associate Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Associate Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

large organization with useful resources and efficient team members, learned a lot from working there!

Cons

your voice could get lost when so many people are involved in one project

Advice to Management

I like the office culture, would like more benefits while I was working there.

11. Art Director

Current Employee - Art Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Art Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather

Pros

Work-life balance, great office & views. Friendly people.

Cons

Clients are conservative, accounts are limited.

Advice to Management

Get more involved and hands on with managing employees.