Ogilvy & Mather Reviews

Updated September 28, 2014
3.6

Ogilvy & Mather Global CEO Miles Young
Miles Young

Pros
  • Work / Life balance is pretty good and you get the X'mas / New Year week off (in 10 reviews)

• Great people, good atmosphere and if you pushed hard enough, some good work (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Impossible to have a work life balance due to work pressure and insane expectations from employees (in 24 reviews)

• Giving your best might mean work long and long hours in the office (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Corporate Culture

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent work life balance, creative environment. The corporate culture really does foster creativity and the hours are great.

Cons

lack of transparency among senior management

Great Experience

Former Employee - Graphic Designer  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Culture is awesome in the Chicago office. Its almost like everyone is your friend. Cant say much about the other offices.

Cons

The work could be more exciting.

Good place to start

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather

Pros

Smart people, great office, name recognition

Cons

Bad compensation, slow bureaucracy, no real creative development program

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good but can improve

Current Employee - Associate Media Director  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Media Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Ogilvy has an amazing culture with a strong basis in openness and acceptance. Plenty of great and intelligent people.

Cons

Compensation is below average relative to some of the other major agencies. As is common in this industry, issues with promotions even when a business case exists.

Great brands, great exposure, non-existent career advancement.

Current Employee - Associate Creative Director  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Creative Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits, Great brands – you'll work on some of the biggest brands in the world. Great exposure to the grand agency idea. Lots of killer work for your book.

Cons

Get what you want coming in. Don't expect a bonus unless your leadership level. You will get burnt out. They really chew you up here. Sometimes design is at best a tertiary thought.

Recognize your people, don't let the only raises be based on job offers from other companies. Leadership needs to remember the people in the trenches — which they don't.

Great agency to learn the business

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather

Pros

The agency had many training resources

Cons

It was challenging to move up and gain compensation for tenure or new skills.

Fast Paced

Current Employee - Summer Intern  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Summer Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The Ogilvy community goes out of its way to help and teach. There is a sense of camaraderie amongst the teams and it's very rewarding when you do a good job. It's such an iconic brand that even working 3-6 months opens so many doors for you.

Cons

Even though they try their hardest to reach out to the interns, it's difficult because they still have a job so get ready for a lot of rain checks. It's a deceptively chill environment. You always have to be conscious of what you say because upper management could be in the elevator with you while you're talking about your Friday night.

It has been a nice ride but not a place that values or takes care of their people unless they're in the C-Suite.

Current Employee - Director - Senior Partner  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director - Senior Partner in New York, NY

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are some really smart people. Open environment leads to collaboration and it is fun (most of the time).

Cons

There is no regular raise or bonus process. People get raises every 2-3 years. Bonuses (if given) are completely arbitrary unless in the C-Suite. I've been with large companies and firms and I have never seen more "clicks" in my life.

If upper management cared they would have done things a long time ago. Picking one day a year to tell people "they matter" when nothing anyone does shows this is laughable.

Decent and fun if you can get around talking heads

Former Employee - Senior Applications Developer  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There's always some kind of event going on, and everyone hates the company so they has no problem using any excuse to drink on the job.

Cons

Lack of planning from management / account managers leads to a lot of saying yes on their part - when changes should of stopped a long time ago and leading to late nights (im talking 2am / 3am style late nights) from everyone else

Recognize employees contribution better - i never received a raise while at the company after my first year however I was considered the best in my department BY my department, and by other departments.

A killer agency throughout time

Current Employee - Online Advertisement  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Online Advertisement in New York, NY

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The agency life can be jarring, difficult, and time consuming, the people at ogilvy make it look and feel easy. The accounts are always top notch, and well executed, and they should be, sometimes there are more than 50 people working on a single account. but from the Creatives to the Kitchen staff and security guards, everyone takes pride and seriousness in their work.

Cons

The scale of a company that large will make some people feel like a small a cog in a huge machine, and for all intents and purposes you are. this is a machine that was built a long time ago and relies on creative blood sweat and tears to stay alive. This can be feel daunting and discouraging to many.

I spent a very short time at the agency on a freelance position and a small account, but my time at the agency showed me that a company like Ogilvy was exactly where I wanted to be. I loved the people, the enviornment, and the fast paced excitement and thrill of making deadlines.

Worked for Ogilvy & Mather? Contribute to the Community!