Ogilvy & Mather Reviews

Updated September 13, 2014
3.7

Ogilvy & Mather Global CEO Miles Young
Miles Young

Pros
  • Work / Life balance is pretty good and you get the X'mas / New Year week off (in 10 reviews)

• Great people who really work hard to try and make the company successful (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Impossible to have a work life balance due to work pressure and insane expectations from employees (in 23 reviews)

• Giving your best might mean work long and long hours in the office (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent and fun if you can get around talking heads

Former Employee - Senior Applications Developer  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There's always some kind of event going on, and everyone hates the company so they has no problem using any excuse to drink on the job.

Cons

Lack of planning from management / account managers leads to a lot of saying yes on their part - when changes should of stopped a long time ago and leading to late nights (im talking 2am / 3am style late nights) from everyone else

Recognize employees contribution better - i never received a raise while at the company after my first year however I was considered the best in my department BY my department, and by other departments.

Fast Paced

Current Employee - Summer Intern  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Summer Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The Ogilvy community goes out of its way to help and teach. There is a sense of camaraderie amongst the teams and it's very rewarding when you do a good job. It's such an iconic brand that even working 3-6 months opens so many doors for you.

Cons

Even though they try their hardest to reach out to the interns, it's difficult because they still have a job so get ready for a lot of rain checks. It's a deceptively chill environment. You always have to be conscious of what you say because upper management could be in the elevator with you while you're talking about your Friday night.

It has been a nice ride but not a place that values or takes care of their people unless they're in the C-Suite.

Current Employee - Director - Senior Partner  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director - Senior Partner in New York, NY

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are some really smart people. Open environment leads to collaboration and it is fun (most of the time).

Cons

There is no regular raise or bonus process. People get raises every 2-3 years. Bonuses (if given) are completely arbitrary unless in the C-Suite. I've been with large companies and firms and I have never seen more "clicks" in my life.

If upper management cared they would have done things a long time ago. Picking one day a year to tell people "they matter" when nothing anyone does shows this is laughable.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great agency to learn the business

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather

Pros

The agency had many training resources

Cons

It was challenging to move up and gain compensation for tenure or new skills.

look to the future

Current Employee - Senior Management  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Management in New York, NY

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great brand, culture and people

Cons

too much weight on heritage; struggling to be innovative

stop talking and listen

A big agency which does great work for great clients.

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Ideas and hard work are appreciated. A highly structured agency that has had to reinvent itself for modern media.

Cons

Hours can be long, pollitics and behind-the-back scheming are part of the culture, always a new face with a new idea coming through and making sweeping changes. A wonderful place while you're a favored child, and when you fall from favor you probably won't know why.

A killer agency throughout time

Current Employee - Online Advertisement  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Online Advertisement in New York, NY

I have been working at Ogilvy & Mather as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The agency life can be jarring, difficult, and time consuming, the people at ogilvy make it look and feel easy. The accounts are always top notch, and well executed, and they should be, sometimes there are more than 50 people working on a single account. but from the Creatives to the Kitchen staff and security guards, everyone takes pride and seriousness in their work.

Cons

The scale of a company that large will make some people feel like a small a cog in a huge machine, and for all intents and purposes you are. this is a machine that was built a long time ago and relies on creative blood sweat and tears to stay alive. This can be feel daunting and discouraging to many.

I spent a very short time at the agency on a freelance position and a small account, but my time at the agency showed me that a company like Ogilvy was exactly where I wanted to be. I loved the people, the enviornment, and the fast paced excitement and thrill of making deadlines.

Good for your resume, bad for your growth and confidence

Former Employee - Producer  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Producer in New York, NY

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great client names, super creative/ nice/ smart coworkers, good for your resume, incredible learning opportunities = you end up stretching well above your job title, invitations to industry events, opens up a LOT of doors very quickly, make friends in your field

Cons

Extremely top-heavy management, no clear direction on department or career goals, no reviews/ raises even when you've already proven yourself capable of handling larger projects, little opportunity to grow beyond the job title you start in, HR is worse than useless = they're detrimental, little training provided, you're at the mercy of your direct manager and they may not be out to help you

Great reputation and experience for resume

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather full-time for more than a year

Pros

The legacy of David Ogilvy, a long-standing leader in the industry and global network. Interesting work - depending on the client needs.

Cons

Needs more consultative approach to balancing staff and client needs. Growth is stagnant with new business, limits ability to be promoted. Competitive to stay on top of trends to offer/sell into clients and then price it reasonably. Distant culture - no one takes time to know you.

Strengthen communications to the organization (avoids rumor mill), embrace diversity and take more risk to be more innovative.

O&M

Former Employee - Account Director  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Director in New York, NY

I worked at Ogilvy & Mather full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people, the people, the people. Super creative, smart, talented, fun people.
    The commitment to health with the in-house nurse, gym and massage therapist were a nice touch and convenience.
    Training opportunities--in the years they were offering them these were a huge bonus and learning opportunity.

Cons

Too much work, not enough people. It's a culture where long hours and exhausted people are considered de rigeur and almost a matter of pride. Maintaining this type of environment is draining to the employees and the morale.
    Also the location is awful. There is no getting around it no matter how much management tries to sugarcoat it.

Stop trying to win business by promising lower prices to clients that are unrealistic.
    Spend some time "in the trenches" so you can be more in touch with the majority of the organization.
    Promote work/life balance and mean it.
    And be honest--the whole move to the new building was handled with so much ridiculous spinning. Stop trying to spin the people who you pay to spin other people!
    Stop having Christmas parties if you can't hand out raises.
    Bring back training opportunities--these were extremely valuable and a unique bonus for Ogilvy.

Ogilvy & Mather Photos

Worked for Ogilvy & Mather? Contribute to the Community!