OgilvyAction

Be The First To
Add Photos

OgilvyAction CEO Steve Harding

Steve Harding

Great opportunities for Interning in a large sized company. Every department invests time to ensure growth.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSenior management is good to work with.

ConsCan be sometimes difficult to get immediate performance recognition.

Three bosses in 6months is not fun

Junior Strategic Planner (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsOgilvy has a history of some great creatives, as well as being one of the few ad agencies to have actively embraced the strategic planner role.

ConsI was hired as a Jr Strategic Planner with the idea of bringing ethnography & closer ties to the package design department over to OgilvyAction. However, my Sr Planner wasn't hired for the first 6mo. I had one boss walk out, another wind up realizing they'd been 'fired' while they stood in front of the client presenting the 'new' org chart, the last one got split off to a different direction, reassigned as it were. Not cool.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't try to sever the ties your employees make just because they don't officially work with 'those people.' I got emails for a year from folks who had no idea I'd been laid off.

You go into liquor stores and have tasting events with barefoot wines

ProsEasy job. decent pay and most liquor store managers are nice to you.

ConsCompany is completely unorganized. Did not receive all the supplies needed. Never received a barefoot t-shirt even after working for the company for 5 months.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor experience overall.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsSome smart people. Many perks. Great compensation.

ConsVery turbulent environment. Poor client engagement management.

Okay but churn and burn atmosphere with high turnover

Business Consultant (Current Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsManager is hands off. Can barely even get in touch with him.

ConsLow pay, no raises, no communication with management, job constantly being threatened.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise the pay, lower turnover, and hire better quality.

Area Manager (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsStepping stone on a resume

Cons.high work load with no assistance

Work until you drop and get lost in the crowd. This job is not for everyone.

Contract Employee (Account) (Former Employee)

Pros- Great name recognition for resume
    - Well known clients
    - Award winning campaigns and programs
    - Free breakfast on Mondays and free Starbucks style coffee bar until noon everyday
    - Nice people in my immediate group. Everyone was extremely professional (no gossip and negative talk about other employees), though I can't speak for other divisions on Ogilvy
    - Open communication with management (ready to hear the negatives and positives)
    - Opportunity for advancement - most of my managers started out as AAE's
    - As with most agencies, having a beer or glass of wine at work is okay (assuming you do so responsibly)

Cons- Cramped work space (though some consider this a good thing for open communication and collaboration - so this could be a good and bad thing depending how you spin it)
    - Very poor salary (not adjusted for city living and expenses) and no benefits for freelance employees (usually lasts for about a 1-2 years)
    - Most, if not all, employees eat lunch at their desk everyday (mid-day breaks are rare)
    - Monotonous and sometimes tedious work (i.e. long hours of data entry) - especially for those lower on the totem pole (though some would call it earning your stripes - once again, depends on your working stamina and if you aspire to be promoted)
    - No defined responsibilities for individual positions which resulted in overlap of work and wasted time on projects (though management is attempting to improve the process). This also makes it difficult to qualify an employee for a promotion because all levels are doing the same thing just scrambling to get the work done on time.
    - In such a large agency, it's difficult to find your place and your significants among the chaos
    - Too many clients, not enough employees to handle the work load.

- No work like balance - period. Watching senior employees stay until midnight every night for months on end not only makes you feel guilty if you get to leave semi-early but seeing them drained, exhausted, and over worked discourages any desire to be promoted. 9/10 employees did not have kids and rarely saw their significant others. (I have to say I admired them for their undeniable work ethic).

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's a lot you can't change about the culture and demands of the advertising industry, especially at a large agency. It is the way it is and it's only for a certain type of personality. However, I would say the biggest issue I had was that management assumed that some new employees knew just as much as the employees that have been with Ogilvy awhile). A good on-boarding/training program would have greatly improved my experience. So many mistakes could have been prevented with a "frequently asked questions booklet" or a standard procedures manual.

I personally found the work interesting, but the culture was a challenge. Smaller fit me better.

Account Director (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsSmart leaders, unlimited access to information and resources, brand name that people respect

ConsToo closely tied to the mother ship (Ogilvy&Mather) to be effective, break-thru

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff smarter and you will win more business

Your global family for activation expertise

Director (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsFrom a global perspective, Ogilvyaction is a collection of very talented individuals focussed on business results over the 'fluffy' brand metrics of it's big brother. Though times are changing and with CMO's now taking a seat at the board, the business of marketing will become key to companies. This may mean Ogilvy beating Action at it's own game over the coming years.

ConsAction has grown through acquisition meaning an inconsistent level of talent around the world. This is most evident in North America. Bloated titles, huge egos and a genuine talent vacuum at the senior end of the leadership team. Any success in this market has been purely serendipitous.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to global management: Cut the the fat from the top and promote the rising stars of middle management. Leverage Miles to make Action important within Ogilvy. Sort North America out. Recruit internally from other disciplines - One & Mather.

The worst management the worst comp plan. No health benefits.

Financial Service Representative (Former Employee)

ProsWork at home.
    But gps iPad are monitored by managers

Cons
    What We Offer: is lies and more lies

Defined and Protected individual territories
    Uncapped Commissions with Competitive Base Salary
    Performance Bonuses and National Sales Competitions
    Extensive ongoing training and support programs
    Unlimited earning potential
    Selling amex cards to small business.
    :(--- the commissions are capped.
    iPad gps check ins every 20 mins
    Micromanaged reps
    Only a few reps will only attend events

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourselves

Worked for OgilvyAction? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at OgilvyAction reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for OgilvyAction CEO Steve Harding. All 39 reviews posted anonymously by OgilvyAction employees.