OgilvyOne

Updated October 22, 2014
2.7

OgilvyOne Chairman and CEO Brian Fetherstonhaugh
Brian Fetherstonhaugh

Pros
  • The content strategy practice managers urge work-life balance (even if they don't do it themselves) (in 4 reviews)

• Some very smart people work at Ogilvy (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No regard for work-life balance, ridiculous workload at times (in 5 reviews)

• long working hours and a bit crowded (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

22 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Remote work opps but no support

Current Contractor - Content Strategist in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Content Strategist in New York, NY

I have been working at OgilvyOne as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The content strategy practice managers urge work-life balance (even if they don't do it themselves). They were very gracious when family health challenges came up and I needed to, first, work remotely, then, reduce my hours. Even as a contractor, my "position" was held while I tended to my family. Surprised and impressed with their level of concern and empathy. Good-hearted people when it comes to family.

Cons

The content strategy practice managers don't support you. You are left hanging in the breeze -- from lousy briefs to incoherent digital strategies. Where other departments are falling down, you're expected to roll with it -- or pick up the slack and do your colleague's work. Exceptionally frustrating.
    No upward mobility. The practice is flat.
    Other departments don't understand what we do or our contribution. Although one of the managers has a seat at the table with senior execs, I'm not sure what exactly he's doing to "spread the gospel."

Great place to learn and grow. Great name to have on your resume.

Former Employee - Group Account Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Group Account Director in New York, NY

I worked at OgilvyOne full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the smartest people in the biz.
    Very professional.
    Well-respected brand.
    Access to a world wide network of colleagues and clients

Cons

Very big. Very 'corporate' (also a "pro," as in, "very professional")
    Disparity between work load aka poor resource allocation -- some peers have immense amount of work while others go home early.

Get more involved in day-to-day client management/business.

Great benefits, Smart people

Former Employee - Senior Director Strategy in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Director Strategy in New York, NY

I worked at OgilvyOne full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Surrounded by the best brains all around. Wonderful benefits (pension plan, fully decked out gym, full bright horizons benefits, free access to museum) especially for working families (moms and dads), great bring your son and daughter to work days, awesome cafeteria. Flexible working schedule. friendly collegiate environment. Very driven to win. Company very focused on strategy and learn so much from them.

Cons

Rules are unwritten and you get around by building influence of power with the people who matter - and the people who matter aren't always the people with the biggest titles. 60% of the game is how well you present, look, and talk. You can be a real airhead and have no substance (like their head of mobile) but because you are handsome and young, you have the CEO eating out of your hands. Also boys network is alive well and present. And even acknowledged. If you are a woman you will certainly struggle to be heard or seen, esp if you tend to look young. they definitely work you to the bones. Raises comes once every two years so when you negotiate, account for that.

Poor financial management - Ogilvy as a company can be making plenty of profit but because Finance has no sense of how to run a tight ship, plenty gets expensed and uncharged to clients. And then they turn around and tell us they are not profitable enough to give you a raise.

Not the glorious place it once was

Former Employee - Digital Creative/Interaction Design in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Digital Creative/Interaction Design in New York, NY

I worked at OgilvyOne full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Not many pros any longer.

Cons

Bad location, incompetent management, lots of churn, losing clients, laying off people, subletting out floors of a building once overcrowded. Not much left in the way of creative juices. No pay raises. No job security. This once was a GREAT and EXCITING place to work.

Quit before WPP decides to close the NY flagship office completely and let people who know what a CREATIVE agency needs to succeed.

Bureaucracy is the name of the gamw

Former Employee - Management Supervisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Management Supervisor in New York, NY

I worked at OgilvyOne full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Goos benefits and great structure. You can learn a lot if you connect to the right people.

Cons

Bureaucracy is heavy at Ogilvy. Performing well is not enough, you must know who to connect with to move up. HR is useless and they are open to say the easiest way to be promoted or get a raise is to leave and then come back.

Less layers.

Typical big agency waterfall work process

Former Employee - Information Architect in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Information Architect in New York, NY

I worked at OgilvyOne full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Name recognition, experience working at a large NYC agency, lots of young talent

Cons

Not innovative, large bureaucracy with no momentum to innovate, high employee turnover

Great learning experience.

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at OgilvyOne full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Really is an agency education. Politics are there but overall most people are nice and laid back/down to earth.

Cons

Turn over and lay offs make it risky.

Ogilvy Consulting can be a good place to work.... can be....

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at OgilvyOne full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Dynamic. Forefront. New challenges. Fast-paced. Lots of responsibility. Learn a lot. You will grow a lot if you can push yourself and problem solve.

Cons

Someone next to me was let go with literally no notice of poor performance. Not once did they take him aside and say, "Your PPT's have no storyline." Or something to let him know he needs to improve, and how he should improve.

You need to develop yourself, be good right out of the gate, and not rely on anyone else to grow. They do not offer professional development support. You are either good at what you do or they fire you. They don't take the time to help you grow.

Positions are very silo'd compared to regular consulting firms. Don't expect support or advice from the Analytics team in another city/country. And don't expect to be working closely with anyone on another account. Not only is each office on its own, but each person in each office works alone. So you'd better be able to handle your account's issues because there's nobody who'll come in to save your ass.

Ditch the silos. You have so little knowledge sharing between colleagues. It hurts people's development and makes a handful of people too important. If you lose the one person who can do brand mapping, the entire office can no longer offer that product. By reducing the silos you open people's careers and reduce the risk of losing product offerings. Plus, you don't have 2 people in an office you can't lose and 20 who have no idea what they're doing.

It used to be better.

Former Employee - Associate Creative Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Creative Director in New York, NY

I worked at OgilvyOne full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Terrific, smart people. Some pretty good accounts.

Cons

Few bonuses or salary increases.

Highly respect the quality of the work - as long as you have the right account people.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at OgilvyOne full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have worked with some of the most talented creatives I have ever worked with. By creatives, I mean UX designers, Digital visual designers, and Copywriters.

Cons

There are numerous Account people who know nothing about the digital space, meaning your job is 5 million times harder. However, I think Ogilvy is trying to fix that.

Most of the upper management are incredibly intelligent individuals, but they should interact with the subordinates more. It's a company that is so huge that the upper management starts to get pretty disconnected from the day-to-day and the people who are working their asses off for them.