Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C.

www.ogletreedeakins.com

Kim F. Ebert

1. Transparency

Current Employee - Associate Attorney in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate Attorney in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C.

Pros

Very transparent, very specialized, very collegial. You will learn a great deal about L&E law in a short period of time.

Cons

Pays less than other big firms.

Advice to Management

Consider pay increases for associates in all legal markets.

2. Very professional

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, the atmosphere in the office tends to be positive. I believe we all get along and are aware that we are working toward common goals.

Cons

Some departments are too centralized for my taste. Strong egos abound and it's not for everyone. It's difficult to be promoted; there seems to be a 'clique' attitude in some departments.

Advice to Management

The firm is very well managed in all aspects. Care is taken with decisions and people are valued. Ethics and diversity are stressed more than adequately and I believe most employees feel comfortable with the organizational culture.

Great place for associate development.

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Collaborative and friendly culture. Transparency.

Cons

Salaries seems beneath market in some cities.

Ogletree Deakins: A Great place to Work!

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C.

Pros

The second I walked into work on my first day, I knew this was the place I needed to be right now in my life--a highly successful organization at the top of the tallest skyscraper in Indiana with views to die for is just one of the many benefits of working here. I work with a small group and we instantly clicked. The chain of command in the organization is clear for all to see--we work as a team, not as individuals; therefore, when big matters are handled, everyone who participated is given due credit, which is really nice to see. Just recently, CEO Kim Ebert addressed the entire Firm in a townhall meeting and told us that we need not worry about job security, and that two additional offices would be opening by the end of the year. To have only worked here for a month and already had such positive learning experiences and professional development opportunities, my future with the company looks pretty steady. With 47 offices around the world, the growth opportunities and relocation potential is amazing. Ogletree is also very well known around the US in regards to employment & labor law, so even if someone did a summer associate-ship or worked here as an intern, that would speak volumes on their resume. Personally, I also really enjoy the open-door policy--it creates a sense of inclusion.

Cons

N/A. I have no negatives at this time.

Advice to Management

N/A. I have no advice at this time.

6. Legal Assistant

Former Employee - Legal Assistant
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant

I worked at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved the attorneys I worked for, they were like family. The clients were easy to work with

Cons

The office administrator was a micromanaging, controlling, dictator and was allowed to get away with manipulative and deceitful tactics over and over again. She was notorious for running people off if she didn't like them. For a firm that specializes in employment law, it surprises me that this was allowed to continue. The firm has become very corporate and isn't very good about promoting from within.

7. Entry Level

Current Employee - Paralegal in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Paralegal in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good for entry level employees/recent grads.

Cons

No career advancing opportunities or promotions.

Very happy - glad I joined the firm.

Current Employee - Staff in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Staff in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time

Pros

Very nice people to work for. Haven't encountered any nasty people. Other staff members are very willing to jump in and help when a call for help is made.

Cons

Can't think of any other than the medical coverage isn't the best. High deductibles. Dental coverage is really expensive for amount of coverage you get each year.

A Truly Fantastic Place With Great People

Pros

After more than three years, I continue to be impressed with the people here. Everyone, including (and especially) the senior leadership treats everyone with respect. The collaboration is fantastic and a really welcome change from other firms where I have worked. I really could not be more pleased with Ogletree Deakins in just about every respect.

Cons

I really have nothing bad to say about the firm. It really is a great place to work and I would recommend it to anyone.

Advice to Management

Please continue to keep the lines of communication open. The open communication to all levels of employee is one of the best things about the firm.

Director

Current Employee - Director in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Director in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunities for advancement to those who are willing to work hard to achieve the promotion; Ogletree attorneys go the extra mile for their clients; Board of Directors has a strategic vision for our Firm. They respect and promote the culture and value that was created when the Firm was established.

Cons

Upper Management needs to communicate more with their support teams.

Advice to Management

Upper Management needs to communicate more with their support teams. Recognize that the Admin Support teams are not just "back office". They are just as energized and supportive as if they were working with our attorneys directly.

11. Legal Assistant

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to learn...staff is very friendly and willing to assist in any matter possible.

Cons

Some of the attorneys in the immigration group can be a little extreme at times. Even though the firm offers a generous benefits package this group does not encourage work life balance. To work in this group you must have thick skin. Also firm did not pay their staff equally and little to no room for advancement.

RSS Feed </> Embed