Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C.

www.ogletreedeakins.com

Employment Status

Reset
3.3
Kim F. Ebert

Very happy - glad I joined the firm.

Current Employee - Staff in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Staff in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time

Pros

Very nice people to work for. Haven't encountered any nasty people. Other staff members are very willing to jump in and help when a call for help is made.

Cons

Can't think of any other than the medical coverage isn't the best. High deductibles. Dental coverage is really expensive for amount of coverage you get each year.

Director

Current Employee - Director in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Director in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunities for advancement to those who are willing to work hard to achieve the promotion; Ogletree attorneys go the extra mile for their clients; Board of Directors has a strategic vision for our Firm. They respect and promote the culture and value that was created when the Firm was established.

Cons

Upper Management needs to communicate more with their support teams.

Advice to Management

Upper Management needs to communicate more with their support teams. Recognize that the Admin Support teams are not just "back office". They are just as energized and supportive as if they were working with our attorneys directly.

A Truly Fantastic Place With Great People

I have been working at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

After more than three years, I continue to be impressed with the people here. Everyone, including (and especially) the senior leadership treats everyone with respect. The collaboration is fantastic and a really welcome change from other firms where I have worked. I really could not be more pleased with Ogletree Deakins in just about every respect.

Cons

I really have nothing bad to say about the firm. It really is a great place to work and I would recommend it to anyone.

Advice to Management

Please continue to keep the lines of communication open. The open communication to all levels of employee is one of the best things about the firm.

Ogletree=Quality

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

Pros

Great core values! The firm continues to grow in impact and professionalism as well as size and geographic footprint. Diversity is taken seriously here. Integrity is essential. Standards are high and a high level of ownership and accountability are expected. This is a group of smart, successful people who value and reward individual contributions. Those who are willing to work hard and assume responsibility will succeed and will be a valued member of the team. This is the best group of people I have ever worked for.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any.

Advice to Management

As the firm continues towards higher levels of organizational maturity ensure that structure does not stifle incentive, creativity, or the opportunities to be involved and contribute.

Non-Attorney View

Current Employee - Non-Attorney
    Current Employee - Non-Attorney

I have been working at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work (realizing no place is perfect) with a comfortable work/life balance; friendly atmosphere; everyone I directly work with shows respect and appreciation for our entire team (this goes a long way in my book); large firm resources with a smaller firm feel; continuing education supported; up-to-date technology with helpful IT support (some on location and some remotely); available ongoing training (if you take the initiative to sign up for it); very stable firm that is open about firm financials and goals; impressive and compassionate managing shareholder; competitive retirement benefits and daily perks (free parking and beverages); available tuition reimbursement

Cons

Health benefit costs are high – if I did not have family health coverage through my spouse’s employer, I would have thought twice about joining the firm.

Individual personalities at the attorney and administration level can have a major negative impact on the employees who must work with or report to those individuals (luckily this is the exception, rather than the rule, in our office, but it understandably results in negative reviews by those affected).

Advice to Management

Give serious thought to ways to reduce the cost of health benefits, including wellness programs that could help the employees earn dollars towards benefits.

Consider combining paid time off into one category, rather than requiring employees to account for time as either “personal time” or “sick time.” This would give employees more flexibility in using their PTO, and it would lessen the number of “call ins” by those who may “call in sick” in order to use some of their allotted time.

The wide variety of firm experiences seems to be due to the differences in office administration at each location (one of downsides of being such a large firm), as well as the actions of the direct supervisors of each non-attorney reviewer. I believe job satisfaction for non-attorneys is based largely on the respect and appreciation shown to them by firm management and attorneys on a daily basis – everyone works harder when they feel like they are an important part of a team.

Great place to work!

I have been working at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to work for legal support staff! Attorneys are respectful and courteous to staff. Most of the attorneys are easy to work with. Big firm resources, but each offices has own management so feels like a small firm.

Very good work/life balance. Flexible scheduling options for some staff positions.

Lots of opportunities for training, continuing education and tuition reimbursement.

Low turnover for support staff. Everyone friendly and easy to get along with.

Cons

Pay is equal to competitors for starting out, but firm needs to focus on rewarding long term staffers.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on providing opportunities for support staff to advance.

Great atmosphere

Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I relocated down South from up North and was welcomed to ODNSS with open arms. I really enjoyed working with each and every employee. The staff and attorneys were friendly and kind and very easy to work with...we were a "TEAM". Unfortunately, I had to move back up North due to my spouse's job.

Cons

Vacation time was't enough for the year.

Lots of work

I worked at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C.

Pros

No shortage of work; lots of great clients.

Cons

Management doesn't get along and work is not evenly distributed.

Very micro-managed, low morale, tense environment, non-team goal oriented, demanding and disrespectful management.

Former Employee - Paralegal in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. (More than a year)

Pros

Steady work, a lot of clients and interesting cases. Updated office equipment and nice office space.

Cons

A lot of staff drama, rude attorneys, no camaraderie, very low morale.

Advice to Management

Quit micro-managing your staff and give your staff some praise. Believe in your employees.

A Good Place to Work, but may I offer a Few Suggestions

Current Employee - Professional Staff
    Current Employee - Professional Staff

Pros

Good people who work hard to meet deadlines. There are training opportunities offered via webinars, but not enough free time to do so. Yearly bonuses are great.

Cons

Bi-weekly pay schedule for hourly professional staff. Not a whole lot of advancement opportunities realized here. There is not a push to promote from within, which would help morale and keep good employees motivated. Raises are minimal and do not keep up with inflation and cost of living.

Advice to Management

The pay schedule for hourly staff is a hardship. Instead of getting paid biweekly, can we be paid twice a month on calendar dates. The 1st and 15th of the month would be great!! Provide a career path for your employees. Coach, mentor and promote from within. Your best resources are the people you already employ.

RSS Feed </> Embed