Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C.

www.ogletreedeakins.com

2.9
Kim F. Ebert
1 Rating

Good Firm

I have been working at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone is very friendly; small office feel in an international law firm. Good work/life balance. Lots of training opportunities with the ability to request one-on-one, if necessary.

Cons

No real job challenges. Compensation is decent. Benefits are very basic and quite expensive for a family. Seemingly random telephone numbers; must dial 10 digits for interoffice calls and there are several "exchanges" (first 3 digits after the area code).

Advice to Management

Get a more cohesive and standardized phone system; then work out the operational kinks.

2. Great firm, needs better management

Current Employee - Employee
    Current Employee - Employee

I have been working at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best reason to work here is the transparency of the organization. It's unique for a law firm to be so transparent. Depth of knowledge is also good. The attorneys are definitely experts in employment law.

Cons

Attorneys are terrible managers. They make you work on vacation. Most attorneys do not take a personal interest in mentoring.

3. Keep your guard up

I worked at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, some friendly people, lovely interior. Some unfriendly people are probably feeling the effects of the environment.

Cons

Where to start.... attorney managing the staff just does not work out. Give your staff the tools they need to do the job, don't just say we can't get the extra equipment needed if you want your staff to be effective and there are deadlines. Don't change the rules midstream, be a little more professional than that. Don't treat others like second class citizens.

Advice to Management

Your staff will be effective and efficient if they have the working tools they need to get the job done. Listen to your staff. Don't gloss over their concerns. Try to cultivate a more welcoming atmosphere.

No work/life balance if you are support staff.

I worked at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stable company with decent pay. Expect the best from their people.

Cons

Support staff is on call 24/7, no work/life balance. Always feel like you have to walk on egg shells, never know who is going to be walked out the door.

Advice to Management

Allow people to do the job that they were hired for, get rid of directors who always micro-manage staff. Allow support staff to have a life outside of the firm.

Miserable

Current Employee - Paralegal
    Current Employee - Paralegal

I have been working at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A paycheck. if the office is closed for weather, you still get paid. Benefits are ok other than health insurance. Tuition reimbursement, 401k etc.

Cons

Where to start. The management of paralegals is left to the attorneys who are horrible people managers. We get far more negative feedback than positive feedback. Why would you want to do better when all you hear is how horrible you are. The turnover in my office is ridiculous. Over 30 people since August 2013 have quit, been fired or laid off. You come in to work every day wondering if this is the day you will be fired. There is absolutely no advancement and no incentive to want to be better. You are afraid to approach anyone with complaints you may have for fear of reprisal. It is very cliquish and people are quick to backstab if they think it will get them "in" with the shareholders. There is no respect for loyalty or longevity. They treat us like children with numerous "policy" emails. You get the impression that they try to make people they don't want working there to quit so they don't have to pay unemployment. It really makes me never want to work for lawyers ever again.

Advice to Management

Have more than 1 person who is a gpa between for HR and the office. We have a large office and only 1 office manager who works her tail off.

Mar 26, 2015CHIEF ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER

Please contact HR or firm management so that we can address the issues you reference in your office. Thank you.

Great!

Current Employee - Paralegal in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Paralegal in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C.

Pros

Awesome place to work and people are fun

Cons

Health Insurance deductibles are too high and there are no other options

Advice to Management

Get better health insurance options

Great Place to work

Former Employee - Paralegal in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C.

Pros

Good compensation and good work environment

Cons

Pretty rigid and very high expectations

Company; is slow to hire and then does not let you know the outcome

I worked at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C.

Pros

Atmosphere is good for work life balance

Cons

Need to have more staff training

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff

Mar 13, 2015CHIEF ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER

Thank you for the suggestion.

Terrible and toxic - run.

I have been working at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C.

Pros

None, but maybe the free parking if you like that. Free coffee and drinks are also good.

Cons

Worst management of employees I have ever seen. Zero communication and lots of backstabbers who can barely do their jobs.

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage a law firm. You work at a labor and employment firm so you should know what is and is not appropriate.

Mar 13, 2015CHIEF ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER

I am truly surprised and concerned about your experiences, which are quite the opposite of our values and overall culture at the firm. Not knowing which office is referenced, it is difficult to ... More

Interesting work for good clients.

I have been working at Ogletree Deakins Nash Smoak & Stewart P.C. full-time

Pros

Ogletree is a good place to work. You'll get to work on a wide variety of interesting cases. If you want to develop a practice area or an industry specialty, you'll have the resources to do so. I have not met a shareholder at any of the offices that I have disliked. You get a lot of client contact, and will not be stuck simply doing lower-level tasks.

Benefits are fairly decent for a law firm.

Cons

Like most firms, you can expect to work hard and put in a lot of time developing clients, writing papers, and giving speeches to advance to shareholder. It's a big commitment, but also the cost of doing business at a large L&E firm.