Ohio Department of Health

Ohio Department of Health Reviews

Updated May 31, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Good company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly work environment, tuition re-reimbursement availability

ConsNo work from home opportunity

I enjoy working for the Ohio Department of Health

ProsGreat atmosphere. Enjoy coworkers.

ConsIt takes a long time for things to get approved

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk employees for their input

I served as a consultant to ODH for over 25 years and found it both challenging and professionally fullfilling

Public Health Consultant (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsGreat benefits and opportunity for continued education. An opportunity to work with dedicated public health experts from many fields who really come together in a crises or emergency.

ConsAs with any government entity, accountability and red tape provide more than their share of roadblocks in accomplishing any task.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I think generally satisfaction with the job varies dramatically between bureaus, so my experience may be worse than some

Researcher (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsSalary, time off, and benefits are generally very good
    Staff can be very passionate about their work
    Schedules are generally flexible
    Union protection (for now) is a plus

ConsExperience the typical frustrations with bureaucracy
    Nearly impossible to move up
    Our bureau (my unit, particularly) was routinely over worked and understaffed
    We have been under a wage freeze for almost four years
    Expectations are not always clearly communicated
    Some favoritism
    Extremely low morale
    Many staff are given more work and are more competent than many managers

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not keep staff in the dark about decisions and changes
    Change HR standards to allow more flexibility on behalf of the hiring manager

Reviewed

Health Planning Administrator (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsProvides good salary and benefits.

ConsVery political environment to work in.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to provide good leadership.

If you love to be micromanaged by people that don't understand your job, this is the place to be!

Immunization Program Manager (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsI feel passionate about the work that I do (initiating, expanding, developing, and maintaining programs that are designed to prevent disease). Despite the bureaucracy and many hurdles that I have faced, I feel that I have accomplished a lot during my time here. Although executive staff tends to micromanage me, my direct supervisor has been supportive.

ConsThe current leadership does not seem to value staff education and experience. Therefore, our insights and ideas tend to be discounted. We are micromanaged to the point of having executive staff review and rewrite our memos. I manage a $100 million program and I am no longer allowed to sign even a simple memo myself without approval from executive staff - so it takes a minimum of a month to get anything sent out. It is embarassing to have to answer questions from our partners about why it takes so long to get simple tasks accomplished and I have grown weary of the hours of wasted time.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider that there are many highly educated, highly experienced, and highly motivated staff members who feel passionate about their jobs. Don't discount their insights and ideas - and please stop micromanaging us.

Worked for Ohio Department of Health? Contribute to the Community!