Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction

Terry J. Collins

DRC

Teacher (Current Employee)
Mansfield, OH

I have been working at Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSolid, stable employment. Fair job security-it used to be super. Good staff support. Great pay compared to the market. Excellent benefits.

ConsSometimes a bit slow to respond to the needs of its employees and clientele. It needs to be more proactive on the things that really count. Privatization will undermine its mission...you cannot be paying attention to the bottom-line like a corporation does while running a prison system.

Very nice people to work with

Staff Psychologist (Current Employee)
Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction full-time for more than 8 years

ProsSalaries are very high and benefits are good

ConsThe environment is quite dangerous.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing a very good job.

Great Company to work for

Correction Officer (Former Employee)

I worked at Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat pay, benefits, days off, union.

ConsLOTS of politics going on

A poorly managed department.

Lebanon, OH

I worked at Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction full-time for more than 8 years

ProsPay and benefits are adequate. Many of the people who work there are very bright and many are not. There is room for upward mobility.

ConsMany of the employees are petty and mean spirited. Many of the inmates are downright dangerous. There is little in the way of air conditioning in the summer and the facilities get unbearably hot and sticky. Management is poor and inconsistent.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize the importance of your employees and treat them with respect and consideration. Reign in the loose cannons in management that mistreat employees.

very hostile work environment

Unit Manager (Former Employee)
Marion, OH

I worked at Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction

Prosonly for the benifits and pay

Consvery backstabbing, staff would set you up in order to get promotions

Advice to Senior Managementpromote because of experience and knowledge and not who you know

Job satisfaction not tied to Prison work

Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction

ProsBenefits for State employees and retirement plan are somewhat better than private sector. Some employees find satisfaction in helping offenders rehabilitate and take pride in being a positive role model.

ConsMany people don't care about how well they do their jobs - just do what's needed to get by. Subsequently, not much esprit decor (morale is generally low).

Advice to Senior ManagementTop management (to include the Ohio legislature) has drastically cut staffing, increasing the work load on every employee in the prison system while decreasing the overall safety of our staff. In addition pay has been frozen at 2004 levels. The impending sale of 6 prisons to private companies, though a better option than closing the prisons, will result in hundreds having to do the same job for 1/3 less than they currently earn. Sentencing reform is needed to reduce prison populations and to increase staff safety.

State of Ohio

Health Care Administrator (Current Employee)
Lebanon, OH

I have been working at Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction

ProsThe state offered a lot of training for those who were willing to go. It do not require that any improve upon themselves. The retirement, paid time off and health benefits are excellent. The raises are also steady and not dependent upon job evaluations. For those in the union your job is pretty secure as well.

ConsPeople are not recognized for their work. It is a good ole boy system and if your liked you move up. Also there is no consistency in the policies and procedures are applied in each institution

Advice to Senior ManagementHire those that have competence instead of someone who has a bull dog attitude. Competence, people skills and education go a long way.

Tough place to work

I worked at Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction

ProsDecent pay, Great Benefits, job security

ConsNo respect from "clients" or management. very "clicky". A lot of the people working there are complete morons. It's a union job so it's just about impossible to get fired and the incompetent ones get their jobs back. Most of the staff could not work anywhere else, they would be fired immediately.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because you've been in the system a long time doesn't mean you're qualified to manage anyone.

It's getting scary.... and kasich thinks we're not worth it !!!!!!!!!!

Corrections Officer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction

ProsSteady income, Ihave almost 20 yrs in.

Cons1 C.O. in a dorm of 264, with a float officer, who in your time of need, maybe responding to another unit to help !!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementMake us aware of all the dangers you recieve from other Institutions.. especially our own !

Worked for Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction CEO Terry J. Collins . All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction employees.