Ohio Presbyterian Retirement Services

Updated July 27, 2014
Updated July 27, 2014

Laurence G. Gumina
1 Rating

I have no complaints with OPRS

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Ohio Presbyterian Retirement Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nicest people I have ever worked with.

Cons

Upward mobility is lacking in this company

Management is doing a fine job - no complaints

Good learning experience

Current Employee - STNA in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - STNA in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Ohio Presbyterian Retirement Services part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Relatively easy hiring process with a lot of work availability. Staff does really seem to genuinely care for it's patients and it's relatively new and clean. They also have free lunch and dinner served while on shift.

Cons

Low starting wages for stna/cna. Almost always short staffed due to high employee turn-over rate. Scheduling vacations and days off can be problematic due to lack of staff and lack of organization. They only schedule certain orientations on Mondays which can be problematic if that doesn't fit your schedule. It's also almost impossible to switch from full-time to part-time to on-call.

Get a proper human resources department to handle staffing, scheduling recruiting. It's far to much to handle for one or two people. Also make all orientations available on weekends not just during the week.

Disorganized

Former Employee - Charge Nurse in Cortland, OH
    Former Employee - Charge Nurse in Cortland, OH

I worked at Ohio Presbyterian Retirement Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company has a strong commitment to provide the best possible experience to the client. The facility in Cortland, Ohio is the nicest nursing home I've ever seen. The staff are friendly and welcoming to new staff members. The company provides little perks, such as free lunch to employees on duty, and bigger perks such as tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Management does not communicate well with each other. I would be told one thing by one person, and the next person had no idea. Orientation was far too short, only 6 days. Pay is on the low end, which isn't surprising, as the company is non-profit. I felt, however, that they placed too many demands on my time for the pay, and the benefits package was not strong enough to encourage me to put in extra time.

Communicate with each other. Sometimes it's the little things that make a big difference. If, for example, an employee is told to expect to be in training until 2 o'clock, the trainer should know that, and not still be teaching at 3:30. Several small things like this give the impression that nobody knows what anyone else is doing in the organization. .

Educational

Former Employee - STNA in Willoughby, OH
    Former Employee - STNA in Willoughby, OH

I worked at Ohio Presbyterian Retirement Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay for your education. Lots of available avenues for choosing a career and business will pay for your education. Free Lunches or Dinners. Friendly environment. Daycare on site. Pay rate as an STNA.

Cons

Needs better benefits, (healthcare, vision ect.) Under staffed. Turnover to fast. lose co-workers fast. Co-workers are promoted to day shift by sonority, NOT by the quality of work and dedication to residents and nurses.

Stop promoting to day shift simply on sonority or "waiting list" and promote by the care and dedication the STNA provides to your nurses and residents. And not just because a STNA has a problem w a nurse or co-worker!