Ohio Public Employees Retirement System

2.2

Karen Carraher

Worked directly with Ohio PERS CIO

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at Ohio Public Employees Retirement System as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

If you like a structured environment, and there are many folks that do, Ohio PERS provides that. Structure often provides greater clarity in terms of roles and responsibilities. It can also have a silo-ing effect.

Cons

Sometimes too much structure brings with it too much bureaucracy/red tape. This is a frequent condition that many government (in this case state government) agencies must look out for.

Look for ways to eliminate low value processes / process. Leverage Lean process improvement. You'd be surprised where you can find waste / slowness and improve upon it.

Inept politicized environment.

Former Employee - Investment Officer  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Investment Officer in Columbus, OH

I worked at Ohio Public Employees Retirement System full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work pace. Everybody below the senior management is nice.

Cons

Unethical senior management, inept board. HR office falsifies data to support managers who wish to fire people. Revolving door while I was there in our area and they will systemically make false accusations - and consistently lose - to attempt to deny unemployment benefits. Senior management simply looking out for themselves.

Without political reform that restructures the board and demands accountability I do not see upside.

Worst place to work!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at Ohio Public Employees Retirement System full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I apologize, but I can not come up with any pros. This establishment was the contributor to severe depression and several medical issues, for me.

Cons

Poor leadership and lack of fair treatment. Management were instructed to micro-manage their departments. Needless to say, morale took a dramatic drop. Gender reverse discrimination occurred on a daily basis. Poor job descriptions and unclear expectations from management. The upper management does not accept valid business opinions which would benefit the organization. They, instead, terminate individuals who offer this to the organization.

This advice is not necessarily for upper management. This advice is the organization's board ... terminate all upper management and hire individuals who know how to manage a business.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My experience and time at this company was outstanding for the most part.

I worked at Ohio Public Employees Retirement System

Pros

The benefits package is outstanding, the best I've ever seen.

Dealing with employees and managers outside of my work department was fantastic.

Cons

Workplace bullying and management styles needs to be addressed with higher up management.

Organization in need of change

Current Employee - Investments  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Investments in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Ohio Public Employees Retirement System

Pros

OPERS has some outstanding individuals in both investments and supporting roles.
    Can be a great experience if you are working in the right group with the right managers, as the firm has a large asset base.
    Some teams give team members more responsibilities.

Cons

Some groups have excessively high turnover.
    Individuals are afraid to speak up or make recommendations for changes under fear of reprisal of the risk that the might be terminated.
    Poor performing managers are protected by senior management.

Recognize the potential of junior and senior team members by promoting them and giving them more responsibility. Move poorly performing manager to roles where they can be more productive.

an employer with potential

I worked at Ohio Public Employees Retirement System

Pros

ohio has been hit hard by the recession and it feels very good to know that the work that opers does is extremely beneficial to ohioans

Cons

opers is a large bureaucracy and that makes it difficult to focus on investment performance alone; management instability may be the cause

treat the investment staff well; pay a competitive wage; provide the resources that the staff needs to function; allow the staff to make their decisions based on the investment merits

Worked for Ohio Public Employees Retirement System? Contribute to the Community!